Kimi 6%  6%  [ 9 ]
Massa 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
Schu 11%  11%  [ 17 ]
Alonso 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Someone else 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 161
 Post subject: Star of Quali
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:49 pm 

Vettel's 36th pole, but I think he could've gone a little faster. Massa mysteriously declined in Q3, GroJo did a good job again...but standouts are Schu and Hamilton. Hard to choose. Gotta go with...eenee meenee minee mo :D

Ok, voting for Hamilton.

Post subject: Re: Star of Quali
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:51 pm 

Vettel, Hamilton, Grosjean, Massa all did a good job.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:05 pm 

Covalent wrote:

They sure did, and my initial post shouldn't take anything away from Vettel. He beat Mark comfortably and delivered again. But no one seriously thought it would be this close!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:10 pm 

Having not watched it yet (working at the time, but will watch it when home, fortunately don't work on Sundays) I can only say Hamilton, Grosjean, Schumacher and Massa's positions all impressed me either minorly or majorly.

Grid penalties aside, Schumi has been showing his old self on Saturdays.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:00 pm 

Hamilton, great lap from him, classic quali battle :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:15 pm 

How can people vote for Hamilton over Vettel? How can people vote for 2nd place over 1st place? Wtf... I just don't get it, remember Hamilton finished ahead of Webber you cannot argue that the RedBull was quicker...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:17 pm 

Voted Vettel, he smashed all competitors flat.

But, honorable mention goes to Charles Pic, for putting that damaged Marrusia above both Caterhams.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:26 pm 

I think possibly Schumacher. Rosberg couldn't get the same car past Q2, yet Schumacher did an outstanding job.

Hamilton definitely has a quick car, yet he still made a mistake. Also, Webber is useless so it doesn't surprise me that Hamilton split the Red Bulls.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:42 pm 

biokimi wrote:
How can people vote for Hamilton over Vettel? How can people vote for 2nd place over 1st place? Wtf... I just don't get it, remember Hamilton finished ahead of Webber you cannot argue that the RedBull was quicker...
So you didn't see the onboards then? that Redbull is on rails, Hamilton had to fight that car around that lap, and comparing Webber? i'm sorry but i have never bought into Webber being a great, he is a mediocre in a rocketship car.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:53 pm 

Hamilton hands down

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:05 am 

Lewis by a mile, followed by Schumi.

Vettel did what he needed to do. Cannot fault him, but nothing outstanding

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:08 am 

Covalent wrote:

Mass was 4/10ths slower in Q3 compared to Q2. The only reason it looks as if he did a good job today was coz he was faster than Fred who for some reason was out of sorts and was also 2/10ths slower in Q3 compared to Q2.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:11 am 

biokimi wrote:

Maybe people follow the practice sessions, qualy and race in more detail than just looking at the final standings :nod:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:19 am 

I'm going for Vettel, because he did what he had to do. Lewis had the better lap, but he's also free of any WDC-pressure. He has nothing to lose, making it 'easier' (if you will) to risk all in an all-or-nothing attempt. Vettel is, like Alonso, under extreme pressure and he's done a great job today.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:21 am 

chinki wrote:
biokimi wrote:

Maybe people follow the practice sessions, qualy and race in more detail than just looking at the final standings :nod:

Rethink your statement I followed every single session

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:23 am 

biokimi wrote:
chinki wrote:
biokimi wrote:

Rethink your statement I followed every single session

So what are you doing on this forum? Policing it to make sure nobody votes for a driver who comes 2nd in qualy or race :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:26 am 

Schuey & the Hulk.

Champions are made from something they have deep inside of them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have the skill & the will but the will must be stronger than the skill. Muhammad Ali

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:29 am 

Hamilton hands down. He was the only driver too make Q3 exciting. The lap was great i loved the way Damon Hill slagged off Anthony Davidsons comments about Hamilton losing the lap because of mistakes when in reality he was taking that car go places it wasn't supposed too be. Anybody could see the Redbull was much, much more glued to the track and could corner far easier than any other car on track. Hamilton today showed why so many people love too see him race and compete. Legendary drive and dedication is his lap.

Any doubters should watch what Lewis did on Topgear on a wet lap. He was only 3 tenths slower than the stig on a dry track. Stig could not believe how he could drive the same car, that fast on a we track. No go see what vettel did he could only icnrease that gap by 7 tenths on a dry track talk about talent. :lol:

Hulkenberg needs some credits too. Di resta was saying he couldn't get the tyres working.

What the hell happened too Rosberg?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:39 am 

I guess people didnt watch the onboards

Hamilton missed many apex's and had 2 lockups, Vettel had almost a perfect lap (1 small lockup but nailed the apex's). Vettel had a much better and cleaner lap.

All the stuff about the Macca being slower than the RBR is BS, watch the onboard laps and see LH compared to SV.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:43 am 

Bakerking31 wrote:

Hamilton missed many apex's and had 2 lockups, Vettel had almost a perfect lap (1 small lockup but nailed the apex's). Vettel had a much better and cleaner lap.

All the stuff about the Macca being slower than the RBR is BS, watch the onboard laps and see LH compared to SV.

Read what Emerson F, put above about Lewis pushing the car to places it should not go.

For getting the most out of a car, Lewis was in a league of his own today.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:44 am 

Bakerking31 wrote:

Thats because Hamilton had to drag a car nowhere near as balanced as the RB around the track, he grabbed it mansell style by the scruff of the neck, Vettel just had to do a clean lap, that RB sticks like fairy cakes on a blanket.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:46 am 

mds wrote:
I'm going for Vettel, because he did what he had to do. Lewis had the better lap, but he's also free of any WDC-pressure. He has nothing to lose, making it 'easier' (if you will) to risk all in an all-or-nothing attempt. Vettel is, like Alonso, under extreme pressure and he's done a great job today.
Vettel was under no pressure, his car was over a second quicker than anyone during practice, i think he went into quali quite calm and confident.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:49 am 

Schumacher for me, Rosberg just about made Q2 and Schumi put it on the third row!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:54 am 

lunatic wrote:
mds wrote:
Vettel was under no pressure, his car was over a second quicker than anyone during practice, i think he went into quali quite calm and confident.

How can you honestly say that? We're down to the last 2 races of the season, 2 title contenders split by 2/5th of a race win. OFCOURSE there is immense pressure. He might be calm and confident, but that doesn't take away any of the pressure. He wants to wrap the title up as soon as possible, and he has to place that RBR on the first row, or he'll be in trouble as the RBR is set up for leading, not for overtaking. Anything that's not the first row will expose him to a pack of drivers with far higher top speeds that will use DRS to get him.

So yes, he was under great pressure, and he delivered. That's why I give him my vote today.

By the way, free practice doesn't mean everything. Mclaren have been sandbagging before in FP, they did it again here.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:07 am 

mds wrote:
lunatic wrote:
mds wrote:

How can you honestly say that? We're down to the last 2 races of the season, 2 title contenders split by 2/5th of a race win. OFCOURSE there is immense pressure. He might be calm and confident, but that doesn't take away any of the pressure. He wants to wrap the title up as soon as possible, and he has to place that RBR on the first row, or he'll be in trouble as the RBR is set up for leading, not for overtaking. Anything that's not the first row will expose him to a pack of drivers with far higher top speeds that will use DRS to get him.

So yes, he was under great pressure, and he delivered. That's why I give him my vote today.

By the way, free practice doesn't mean everything. Mclaren have been sandbagging before in FP, they did it again here.
His pressure is nothing compared to his competitor, he is leading by 10 points, he has seen his car become the outright best by a mile the last few races and has seen his main rival stuck in a car that is nowhere near as good as his, Vettel is under the least pressure to deliver, Adrian Newey has just won the brat another championship.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:15 am 

lunatic wrote:
mds wrote:
lunatic wrote:
mds wrote:

His pressure is nothing compared to his competitor, he is leading by 10 points, he has seen his car become the outright best by a mile the last few races and has seen his main rival stuck in a car that is nowhere near as good as his, Vettel is under the least pressure to deliver, Adrian Newey has just won the brat another championship.

I would consider the underdog to have less pressure since less is expected of him. Alas this will all fly over your head.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:19 am 

While I would agree that Alonso is under more pressure than Vettel, it doesn't matter: I was comparing Vettel and Hamilton.

Furthermore, Alonso didn't achieve the maximum today so he's out of the question for this poll.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:22 am 

JerCotter7 wrote:
lunatic wrote:
mds wrote:
lunatic wrote:
mds wrote:

I would consider the underdog to have less pressure since less is expected of him. Alas this will all fly over your head.
All fly over my head? :lol: funny place this, You Vettel fans can carry on hugging his nuts, everyother f1 fan knows that its Newey thats giving him the championships, Vettel has no class, if he doesn't get pole he sulks like a spoilt bitch, Hamilton today on the other hand went up and said "good job man" Vettel doesnt have the class that a lot of the others have and has also never faced a strong team mate on equal terms.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:28 am 

lunatic wrote:
JerCotter7 wrote:
lunatic wrote:
mds wrote:
lunatic wrote:

All fly over my head? :lol: funny place this, You Vettel fans can carry on hugging his nuts, everyother f1 fan knows that its Newey thats giving him the championships, Vettel has no class, if he doesn't get pole he sulks like a spoilt bitch, Hamilton today on the other hand went up and said "good job man" Vettel doesnt have the class that a lot of the others have and has also never faced a strong team mate on equal terms.

Good job. Presuming I'm a Vettel fan because it is my opinion that an underdog has less pressure to win. They are less expected to win, hence the name. But you go off on a tangent about Vettel sulking, which I agree with by the way, and how Newey gives him championships, which I disagree with. Good job. You are a very valuable forum member with input like that. I can see there is no point continuing this conversation with you anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:29 am 

Oh boy... Let me know when you're old and mature enough to have a proper discussion instead of this hate-fueled drivel.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:02 am 

.[/quote][/quote]

Good job. Presuming I'm a Vettel fan because it is my opinion that an underdog has less pressure to win. They are less expected to win, hence the name. But you go off on a tangent about Vettel sulking, which I agree with by the way, and how Newey gives him championships, which I disagree with. Good job. You are a very valuable forum member with input like that. I can see there is no point continuing this conversation with you anyway.[/quote]Well rather than being rude i thought i'd respond to your jibe about things "going over my head" this is a forum and as such is a place where people express their opinions, i have been here for years through the good and the bad and i can honestly say with hand on heart that Vettel fans are the most narrow minded i have ever come accross and it really gets my back up the way they nut hug him as if he is the second coming while dismissing the fact that his car is head and shoulders above everyone elses, if you dont like my posts don't bother responding, you can either put me on ignore if you want too. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:04 am 

mds wrote:
Oh boy... Let me know when you're old and mature enough to have a proper discussion instead of this hate-fueled drivel.
MM mature? i'm 38 years old, let us know when you managed to drag yourself away from Vettels nuts and look and the whole picture.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:04 am 

Vettel, Hamilton, Hulkenburg, and maybe Grojean were the stars of qualifying. The driving styles are starting to become very important in the tracks now with the pirelli tyres. I had a feeling Massa could outqualify Alonso today. This track is suited for drivers relying on momentum and elevation and the lines used and less reliance on gears.

Last edited by f101 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:06 am 

oh and since when was Vettel the underdog? :?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:30 am 

Ergh, all this talk of Hamilton "putting the car where it wasn't supposed to be"... If the car qualified 2nd, then that's where it was capable of qualifying, enough with that "not supposed to be" nonsense.

He locked up and missed apexes, that's not "dragging it by the scruff of the neck" that's over driving it and losing time. He locked up and went wide on a few corners, if he'd have made the apex at those corners, he would have been on pole - locking up and missing an apex does not mean going faster. The subtleties are in the parts where he DIDN'T lock up, in the parts where he took good speed into and through corners etc.

If the McLaren wasn't, on an ideal lap from everyone, meant to be on the front row, it was because others failed, not because he "drove the car to where it wasn't supposed to be", ergh.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:45 am 

sgt.hartman wrote:
Ergh, all this talk of Hamilton "putting the car where it wasn't supposed to be"... If the car qualified 2nd, then that's where it was capable of qualifying, enough with that "not supposed to be" nonsense.

He locked up and missed apexes, that's not "dragging it by the scruff of the neck" that's over driving it and losing time. He locked up and went wide on a few corners, if he'd have made the apex at those corners, he would have been on pole - locking up and missing an apex does not mean going faster. The subtleties are in the parts where he DIDN'T lock up, in the parts where he took good speed into and through corners etc.

If the McLaren wasn't, on an ideal lap from everyone, meant to be on the front row, it was because others failed, not because he "drove the car to where it wasn't supposed to be", ergh.
Yeah alright, fact is that he got that car so close to a car that was well over a second quicker than his throughout practice, it might not have been pretty but he got the best out of that car, pretty doesn't always mean faster.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:29 am 

here's the thing i don't really understand...the pirelli clearly favor those who had rough driving style due to narrow working range.

The star of qualifier for me is Kimi, despite being disadvantage with the pirelli due to driving style, he dragged the car to 1 tenth of differences to his teammate that has no issues in switching the tyre on.

And prior to that he been helping the team to test out new updates and make it available to both on saturday, sacrificed his setup times in which he claim to be improved slightly due to warmer track temp, but far from being his liking.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:08 am 

Yeah but practice is irreverent. In Q3 when it really matters the cars looked fairly evenly matched. I've seen both the onboards and i do agree with you that Hamilton did an amazing lap, but so did Vettel.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:16 am 

Better car or not, the last two races are about the championship contenders and out of the two only one delivered today. It still remains to be seen if Alonso made a smart strategic choice but so far hats down to Vettel whose greater merit was to not make a mistake. Hamilton, Massa and Schumacher did very well relative to their own teammates and cars at hand but again, the last two-three races are mainly about Vettel and Alonso.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:36 am 

sgt.hartman wrote:

:thumbup: