planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:23 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:08 pm 

Hi, It seems as if a car that is 0.8 seconds behind another can overtake in the DRS Zone. i.e. gaining that time.
Then why don't the teams do a 'Two-Up' to gain that 0.8 seconds every lap by taking it in turns to
use the DRS Zone.? It works for cycle teams, so why not in F1.

Last edited by phiggsbroadband on Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:25 pm 

What's drz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:32 pm 

phiggsbroadband wrote:
Hi, It seems as if a car that is 0.8 seconds behind another can overtake in the DRZ. i.e. gaining that time.
Then why don't the teams do a 'Two-Up' to gain that 0.8 seconds every lap by taking it in turns to
use the DRZ.? It works for cycle teams, so why not in F1.

In qualy they have the DRZ./D.R.Z anyway. And the tow won't make such a difference.

In race they'd lose more time swapping positions than gaining time. And I don't belive cars gained 0.8s with the DRS.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:28 am 

Hi VDV23, the reason I said they would gain 0.8 sec is that a car that is less than 0ne second behind another
can get in front of it with the aid of DRS. i.e. It muust have gained up to one second that lap.
If it's a clean pass, with everyone co-operating, the overtaken car can just follow on, and use the DRS next lap.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:31 am 

true but if both cars have DRS then its a little harder and you need to be closer and as the big straight comes after the tricky S. you really dont want to be following anyone in there.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:47 pm 

You have to fight hard to stay within 1s of the car in front and the bonus of the DRS will be wiped out by the tyre degradation of the terrible Pirelli tyres.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:11 pm 

phiggsbroadband wrote:
Hi, It seems as if a car that is 0.8 seconds behind another can overtake in the DRS Zone. i.e. gaining that time.
use the DRS Zone.? It works for cycle teams, so why not in F1.

Because the car behind is only gaining the deficit to the car in front. To gain an advantage, the car behind would need to gain the gap to the car in front PLUS a bit more in time purely from the use of DRS.

In a front runner on a lesser car, this would be easy. As they would just breeze by.

HOWEVER, against someone in an identical car, the difference in speed would not be enough for the tailing car to easily overtake the car in front without the car in front compromising their lap time. This would mean that overall, as a pair the two drivers would be slower if they kept swapping places in the DRS zone, as it would take longer for the 2nd car to cross the start/finish line in front of his team-mate from when his team-mate started that lap - than it would if his team mate just drove as fast a lap as possible.

IE - Lewis/Jenson example

Lewis leading, Jenson following.

Lewis driving as fast as he can does a 1min40 lap.

Using the DRS trick, it might take Jenson 1min41 to cross the line from when Lewis started the lap. Meaning they'd have lost 1sec in ultimate lap pace... (at least because Jenson would have to come from a min of 0.5secs behind and be a min of 0.5secs ahead

:D :D :D