planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:15 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:31 am 

just read an interview with Eddie Jordan in Tatler.
There was not much about F1 and BBC (almost nothing), but mainly about life style.

He said that he just bought 155feet yacht and going into 20-month world trip with his wife. Would it be a sign that he is leaving? It looks like one to me.

Will DC stay and will BBC show anything at all at the end of the day?

(sorry if it is discussed somewhere, but afrer searching 'Eddie Jordan' on this forum, I found little :) )

We are disease upon the world, brotherhood of man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:32 am 

BBC have no future in F1 and it shows in their coverage (As well as being super biased everything seems very forced and serious now)

Guys will leave, and in the end there won't be BBC F1.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:41 am 

It's possible his boat trip could stop off in places that allow him to attend the GP there that weekend but it does sound like he's probably off. I've got a feeling it won't be long before DC goes to Sky.

It's a real shame since I preferred the old BBC team to the Sky team and on the whole I liked the coverage more too. Sky do a decent job but I wish Lazenby, Georgie and others would just bugger off. I really hope Sky get Gary Anderson too.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:45 am 

155 feet is going to be able to get him to any destination in time to catch a plane if not attend the race
(Does he still have his own plane?)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:36 pm 

by end of next season, bbc will have highlights on the website and that'll be that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:46 pm 

I wouldn't be surprised if he goes.

The BBC will be looking to cut wages wherever possible. Can imagine their F1 coverage being reduced to studio in London/Manchester next year with maybe one reporter at the circuit.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:49 pm 

Seanie wrote:

The BBC will be looking to cut wages wherever possible. Can imagine their F1 coverage being reduced to studio in London/Manchester next year with maybe one reporter at the circuit.

They have always had a couple there 'in the flesh' to do reports and cover radio, which used to be the only way to keep up before BBCTV took F1. ITV only did quali and the race

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:50 pm 

Is there any evidence that the BBC are cutting F1 coverage? I thought they had a multi-year contract. Or is it just forum whinging again?

In what way is the BBC coverage biased? they spend more time covering the British drivers, but that's to be expected. I wouldn't say the coverage is 'biased' though.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:50 pm 

He must have bought a yaght to avoid sinking on the BBCF1 ship.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:55 pm 

AngreetRoll wrote:
Is there any evidence that the BBC are cutting F1 coverage? I thought they had a multi-year contract. Or is it just forum whinging again?

In what way is the BBC coverage biased? they spend more time covering the British drivers, but that's to be expected. I wouldn't say the coverage is 'biased' though.

No real evidence. But the bbc has had their budget frozen so will be looking to make savings, if they can do that with presenters, they will.

Will they replace Jake? Probably not.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:11 pm 

I remember asking South African F1 fan about thier coverage and was told that for them BBC shows every race live (under the contract) with all normal suspect, even those races that we don't see live in UK.

So it is possibly not completely correct to say that BBC was cutting all kind of expenses by showing some races in UK as highlights. Seems to me that they kept the expenses for their crew being at F1 race on the same level, kept their international earning for F1 related coverage on the same level, BUT they saved on annual payment to Bernie.

We are disease upon the world, brotherhood of man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:14 pm 

Seanie wrote:
AngreetRoll wrote:

No real evidence. But the bbc has had their budget frozen so will be looking to make savings, if they can do that with presenters, they will.

Will they replace Jake? Probably not.

Lee will take Jake's place full time.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:39 pm 

AngreetRoll wrote:

Evidence? Te BBC had a contract for this year (and I think maybe next season) to be the sole broadcaster of F1 in the UK and other territories but have up that contract which is how sky have all the season live from this year.

Contracts mean nothing when cost savings are to be made!!

It ain't hating just 'cause it's not love

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:43 pm 

If EJ stays he probably will only cover the live races.

DC will be off to Sky - the only reason he didn't go this year was because he was locked into a contract.

BBC's word means chocolate fudge cake all given that they sold off the coverage to Sky, despite C4, C5 and ESPN being interested and willing to pay for it. As far as I'm concerned the sooner the BBC drop it, the better - they dont do it justice any more and just make the whole thing look pretty gherkin poor. Reminds me of the silly coverage of less popular motor racing events that they would stick on in the middle of the night, poorly cut and poorly commentated on.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:49 pm 

Slightly off topic but lets say the BBC drop the coverage all together, would it be possible for any other free to air channel such as Itv to buy the rights to broadcast the races live. I just think F1 will lose a tone of viewers if the BBC drop the coverage as many people don't have the luxury of Sky tv.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:16 pm 

UBeenFrimponged wrote:
Slightly off topic but lets say the BBC drop the coverage all together, would it be possible for any other free to air channel such as Itv to buy the rights to broadcast the races live. I just think F1 will lose a tone of viewers if the BBC drop the coverage as many people don't have the luxury of Sky tv.

it depends, I would have thought the BBC had exclusive 'country' live broadcast rights, which they 'sublet'/'sold out' to Sky. If the exclusive live showing rights are not retained by Sky/BBC until the end of the BBC rights contract, anyone could buy in with F1 via Bernie! As it is, I cant see there will be change until the current contract ends and Bernie asks for fresh bids!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:27 pm 

UBeenFrimponged wrote:

Possibly. I would imagine that if the BBC couldn't/wouldn't see out their contract to 2018, they'd look for someone to take on the rights sharing deal.

I think having a full f1 season live free-to-air in the UK is behind us though. I can't imagine Sky letting a FTA broadcaster share the rights in the future, and unless they're losing money hand over fist, I can't see them letting the rights go in 2018.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:32 pm 

I dont know why Coulthard would want to go to Sky though. He'd only end up being second fiddle to Brundle again.
I know they are good friends but while they are working for the same company, DC will always be in Brundles shadow.

DC has had a great year - his gridwalks have improved tremendosly, he's really sparkling with Ben in the comms box.

I dont know where he'd fit in to the Sky mix other than as "just" a pundit.

I dont see Sky changing from the Croft / Brundle commentry team.

DC gets to do live commentary for every race currently - sure not all of that is broadcast live in the UK - but it is broadcast live, as other countries take the BBC comms.

I think he needs to stick to what he's doing for a couple more years - he's grown tremendosly since the rather stiff figure he was when the BBC coverage first started to being a great all round broadcaster.

Couple of years down the line with his reputation even more solidified, then yeah maybe he'd move to Sky, Brundle might very well be wanting to move on by then anyway especially if Alex Brundle works his way up to a higher category. Martin might want to take a more active role in driver management and less of a tv role.

For now DC is better of as a big fish in a small pond. He'd get lost in the mix at Sky

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:36 pm 

theARE wrote:
I dont know why Coulthard would want to go to Sky though. He'd only end up being second fiddle to Brundle again.
I know they are good friends but while they are working for the same company, DC will always be in Brundles shadow.

DC has had a great year - his gridwalks have improved tremendosly, he's really sparkling with Ben in the comms box.

DC gets to do live commentary for every race currently - sure not all of that is broadcast live in the UK - but it is broadcast live, as other countries take the BBC comms.

I think he needs to stick to what he's doing for a couple more years - he's grown tremendosly since the rather stiff figure he was when the BBC coverage first started to being a great all round broadcaster.

Couple of years down the line with his reputation even more solidified, then yeah maybe he'd move to Sky, Brundle might very well be wanting to move on by then anyway especially if Alex Brundle works his way up to a higher category. Martin might want to take a more active role in driver management and less of a tv role.

For now DC is better of as a big fish in a small pond. He'd get lost in the mix at Sky

Or alternatively he sticks with the BBC who pull the plug after next year and he ends up with nowt or he jumps to Sky stays as understudy to Brundle, learns from one of the best and takes over from Brundle when his time comes and is perfectly situated to be the lead of the definitive F1 broadcaster around the world.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:37 pm 

@theARE If you were given the option, do the beeb from a studio at BBC house or fly out to every event as a pundit, be in "Brundles shadow" and likely get more money. Which would you choose?

Plus who knows what extra programs SKY are planning to go along with the F1 show.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:14 pm 

theARE wrote:

I guess you'd have to know what his desires were, which none of us do. I can't see past the BBC just phoning it in for the rest of this contract (or dropping it early, who knows?), which might make an early dismount more appealing.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:20 pm 

The BBC's F1 coverage is a sinking ship, at least Eddie's new vessel should be seaworthy.

F1 will be exclusive to Sky within 3 years, mark my words...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:21 pm 

fieldstvl wrote:
theARE wrote:

I guess you'd have to know what his desires were, which none of us do. I can't see past the BBC just phoning it in for the rest of this contract (or dropping it early, who knows?), which might make an early dismount more appealing.

His contract ends next month, so unless it gets renewed I think he'll be off to Sky!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:36 pm 

theARE wrote:

Dunno, DC and Brundle were a hugely popular and well matched pairing. They seemed to gel better than Croft and Brundle. Wouldn't be that surprised if SKY re-formed that team...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:43 pm 

Saville's fault

thought it would make a change from saying Hamilton

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:54 pm 

Seanie wrote:
UBeenFrimponged wrote:

Possibly. I would imagine that if the BBC couldn't/wouldn't see out their contract to 2018, they'd look for someone to take on the rights sharing deal.

I think having a full f1 season live free-to-air in the UK is behind us though. I can't imagine Sky letting a FTA broadcaster share the rights in the future, and unless they're losing money hand over fist, I can't see them letting the rights go in 2018.

Before it was as well covered, it was on Eurosport. While Sky have it, I cant see anyone being allowed to air it free in the regions sky cover. The only possibility would be if it was not in English, such as some sporting events are for Ireland Scotland and Wales with their own commentary.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:48 pm 

F1 will be forgotten on the BBC, still notihng can compare to their broadcasting before 2012 - everything else even Sky throwing money at everything couldnt compete.

Never will be the same again.

Dont see DC sticking around for very long and wouldnt surprise me if Sky tried to get DC/EJ on board some how. They wont get Lee because she isnt blonde and doesnt look 21.

Shame really.

As for the BIAS of the BBC.... think its time to grow up boys and get over that garbarge, BBC has done a better job compared to most countries who broadcast F1. And having watched F1 in 4 different countries the BBC are actually tame compared to others.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:00 pm 

Teddy007 wrote:
F1 will be forgotten on the BBC, still notihng can compare to their broadcasting before 2012 - everything else even Sky throwing money at everything couldnt compete.

:nod: :nod: Never will be the same again.

Dont see DC sticking around for very long and wouldnt surprise me if Sky tried to get DC/EJ on board some how. They wont get Lee because she isnt blonde and doesnt look 21.

Shame really.

As for the BIAS of the BBC.... think its time to grow up boys and get over that garbarge, BBC has done a better job compared to most countries who broadcast F1. And having watched F1 in 4 different countries the BBC are actually tame compared to others.

Natalie isn't blonde and Georgie sure as hell doesn't look 21.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:12 pm 

If someone had said 2 or 3 years ago that the Beeb would lose Brundle, Coulthard, EJ, Jake and Ted it would have been unthinkable, unforgivable even!

Kind of resigned to it now though.

Oh well, on the bright side I am doing lots more with my weekends :?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:19 pm 

Eddie was doing it for fun and to keep busy, its not like he needed the money. I am told that he spent most of the weekends just meeting up with old friends and colleagues for dinner/lunch etc. He got to be part of the F1 circus without the stress of being involved in it any more.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:36 pm 

brundle + DC was a remarkable team, i can still remember some of the memorable quotes between them last year, crofty is a great all round sports commentator and is trained to do F1 , but brundle was an F1 driver himself that happens to have very good commentating skills

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:48 pm 

DC would fit in wonderfully with the arsenal of ex-drivers that Sky have on their team.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:55 pm 

Thank God. I might be able to watch the BBC. If there's anything left to watch.

If EJ goes, it'll be another person out in the rapidly decreasing BBC F1 team. Soon all that will be left is Andrew Benson and Lee McKenzie.

Forza Alonso

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:30 pm 

moby wrote:
Seanie wrote:

They have always had a couple there 'in the flesh' to do reports and cover radio, which used to be the only way to keep up before BBCTV took F1. ITV only did quali and the race

Before the BBC took control again ITV did only do quali and the race. We were in a digital TV interactive era too by then, but ITV have always been ones for saving money they didn't see necessary to spend since they became mostly one company. Before ITV though BBC coverage was more often just a part of grandstand or the race itself. Coverage has come a very long way in 20 years.

As for BBC 2013 onwards. I agree with others, a skeleton team at the track for interviews pit news etc and the rest from a studio in Salford. They may even be wise to share resources with Sky at the track (but not visable/audible staff). Nice easy sign off before FTA coverage moves in 2015.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:32 pm 

RunningMan wrote:

If EJ goes, it'll be another person out in the rapidly decreasing BBC F1 team. Soon all that will be left is Andrew Benson and Lee McKenzie.

Dont forget Garry :p

There was also Sarah Holt (she did articles for the BBC F1 site) who was kicked out when the sale to Sky happened - she's now a freelance F1 journo.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:33 pm 

scuderia_stevie wrote:
moby wrote:
Seanie wrote:

Before the BBC took control again ITV did only do quali and the race. We were in a digital TV interactive era too by then, but ITV have always been ones for saving money they didn't see necessary to spend since they became mostly one company. Before ITV though BBC coverage was more often just a part of grandstand or the race itself. Coverage has come a very long way in 20 years.

As for BBC 2013 onwards. I agree with others, a skeleton team at the track for interviews pit news etc and the rest from a studio in Salford. They may even be wise to share resources with Sky at the track (but not visable/audible staff). Nice easy sign off before FTA coverage moves in 2015.

TBH BBC may just turn around and license Sky's commentary in exchange for the world feed comms license - a win win deal really.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:07 pm 

RickM wrote:
RunningMan wrote:

Dont forget Garry :p

There was also Sarah Holt (she did articles for the BBC F1 site) who was kicked out when the sale to Sky happened - she's now a freelance F1 journo.

Does Gary have a contract? I guess he'd stay to sort of stay in the loop really. He does provide good info .

Forza Alonso

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:44 pm 

If he is leaving don't mind as long as he not joining sky :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:10 pm 

RebellionLola wrote:
brundle + DC was a remarkable team, i can still remember some of the memorable quotes between them last year, crofty is a great all round sports commentator and is trained to do F1 , but brundle was an F1 driver himself that happens to have very good commentating skills

I loved the two of them doing it, was the best commentary team (and I know I may be going out on a limb here!) in my lifetime, and probably ever.

Equal parts insightful and entertaining, great chemistry and two likeable characters who are respected around the paddock.

...But would Brundle volunteer to take on the added workload again? He said himself it was tougher than he thought.

I'll say this now, If Sky have DC and Brundle in the box next season, I'm getting Sky. Hear that oh advertisers on high reading this forum?! ;)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:03 pm 

Adaemus wrote:
RebellionLola wrote:

I loved the two of them doing it, was the best commentary team (and I know I may be going out on a limb here!) in my lifetime, and probably ever.

Equal parts insightful and entertaining, great chemistry and two likeable characters who are respected around the paddock.

...But would Brundle volunteer to take on the added workload again? He said himself it was tougher than he thought.

I'll say this now, If Sky have DC and Brundle in the box next season, I'm getting Sky. Hear that oh advertisers on high reading this forum?! ;)

I'd love to see the Brundle + DC combo again...but do really love Crofty's commentary too...

How about we have all three - could make things confusing when they all start shouting stuff :p