planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:32 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:18 am 

Jake, Eddie, Coulthard, Brundle etc....best presentation team of any sport, ever.

Can't believe it's all over.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:38 am 

I recently did a survey for the BBC regarding F1 and they asked me if I was aware of who Jenny Gow was and also was I aware of who James Allen was!

Read into that what you will.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:53 am 

People going on about BBC budget cuts:

The BBC revised budget is in place from April next year and so if the BBC has F1 next year (which it does) then they will cover F1 just as they have this year.

What happens when the F1 rights come up for grabs again is anyone's guess though.

Also some have mentioned about BBC presenting from the studio and having one or two reporters at track to cut costs, the fact is that it's the coverage of races LIVE that costs a fortune. The BBC has still sent the full team to every race this season but only shown half live and have saved 50% in their budget. So sending personnel to the track is relatively cheap to do.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:56 pm 

martb wrote:
I recently did a survey for the BBC regarding F1 and they asked me if I was aware of who Jenny Gow was and also was I aware of who James Allen was!

It really doesn't mean anything. They dont employ either of those people - neither have a contract with the BBC.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:59 pm 

thepitlane wrote:
People going on about BBC budget cuts:

The BBC revised budget is in place from April next year and so if the BBC has F1 next year (which it does) then they will cover F1 just as they have this year.

What happens when the F1 rights come up for grabs again is anyone's guess though.

Also some have mentioned about BBC presenting from the studio and having one or two reporters at track to cut costs, the fact is that it's the coverage of races LIVE that costs a fortune. The BBC has still sent the full team to every race this season but only shown half live and have saved 50% in their budget. So sending personnel to the track is relatively cheap to do.

Do you have a source for that 50% figure? Their costs havent been lowered - they still require a sat feed to get the content back to the UK. The only cost's that may have been cut is having a live editor at the track, but they still need them for half the races. As you said yourself, sending people to the track is relatively cheap - so they aren't really saving any money.

Obviously they are gaining money by sub-licensing the rights to Sky, however for all we know, Sky may actually now own the full license, and sublicense that to the BBC.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:35 pm 

RickM wrote:
martb wrote:

It really doesn't mean anything. They dont employ either of those people - neither have a contract with the BBC.

To be fair they used to employ Jennie Gow as a motorsports presenter, and James Allen is still paid by them.

Think we can read plenty into it to be honest.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:19 pm 

What does James Allen do for them these days? :/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:22 pm 

RickM wrote:

Commentates on the 5Live coverage.

If DC does move then I'd imagine Allen will be promoted to TV race coverage.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:27 pm 

Laura23 wrote:
RickM wrote:

Ahh didn't realise he was doing that. Why did I think it was Legard? Or do they both do it? Cant say I've listened to the 5Live coverage this year. The one time I did want to listen to it, they instead decided to air 4 guys shouting abuse at each other about football.

Just a thought tho - when Crofty was doing the 5Live coverage, he and Ant werent actually employed by the BBC, it was outsourced to some other comapany. Cant for the life of me remember who they were, but they used to sign off saying "This has been a <company> broadcast for BBC Radio 5Live". Maybe Allen is actually employed by the company who do the coverage.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:30 pm 

Adaemus wrote:
RebellionLola wrote:
brundle + DC was a remarkable team, i can still remember some of the memorable quotes between them last year, crofty is a great all round sports commentator and is trained to do F1 , but brundle was an F1 driver himself that happens to have very good commentating skills

I loved the two of them doing it, was the best commentary team (and I know I may be going out on a limb here!) in my lifetime, and probably ever.

Equal parts insightful and entertaining, great chemistry and two likeable characters who are respected around the paddock.

...But would Brundle volunteer to take on the added workload again? He said himself it was tougher than he thought.

I'll say this now, If Sky have DC and Brundle in the box next season, I'm getting Sky. Hear that oh advertisers on high reading this forum?! ;)

The best team was Walker and Hunt, especially as most of their time together there was only one microphone so Hunt had to wait to correct Murray's comments.

Some absolutely legendary times.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:52 pm 

RickM wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
RickM wrote:

Ahh didn't realise he was doing that. Why did I think it was Legard? Or do they both do it? Cant say I've listened to the 5Live coverage this year. The one time I did want to listen to it, they instead decided to air 4 guys shouting abuse at each other about football.

Just a thought tho - when Crofty was doing the 5Live coverage, he and Ant werent actually employed by the BBC, it was outsourced to some other comapany. Cant for the life of me remember who they were, but they used to sign off saying "This has been a <company> broadcast for BBC Radio 5Live". Maybe Allen is actually employed by the company who do the coverage.

I genuinely have no idea about the other company and how that works but Allen certainly commentates for the BBC in some way just now. Who knows he may even make the move next year as well.

But yeah I'm sure Legard did one FP session this year, think he was just covering for someone though.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:25 pm 

USP

http://uspcontent.com/portfolio/formula-1-2/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:46 pm 

K00LAid wrote:

Thats the one - thanks for that :)

Thats Crofty with Kimi on that page.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:33 pm 

If Jordan leaves who stays? Me!

I'm constantly tempted to switch over to Sky because I can't cope with his fractured grasp of the English language and his inability to think and talk at the same time. Now that Coulthard isn't so obviously Mr Red Bull as he was in his early years I'm rather warming to him. Get him paired up with someone half competent and we're good to go.

Roll on 2013.

I may be wrong about - Alonso

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:09 pm 

Chunky wrote:
If Jordan leaves who stays? Me!

I'm constantly tempted to switch over to Sky because I can't cope with his fractured grasp of the English language and his inability to think and talk at the same time. Now that Coulthard isn't so obviously Mr Red Bull as he was in his early years I'm rather warming to him. Get him paired up with someone half competent and we're good to go.

Roll on 2013.

DC will be off to Sky. His BBC contract ends in December and Brundle is not only his best mate, but his manager too. It was MArtin who ousted Legard and got DC into the commentary box, so he'll certainly be pulling strings at Sky, who would likely love to replace Hill with DC.

As long as they keep Brundle, Ted and Johnny I'll be happy - really shocked at just how awesome Johnny is as a pundit - he was only supposed to be doing it as a one-off but is now part of the crew.

We've also got Alan McNish again this weekend.

One thing's for sure - Sky do a great job at getting former drivers onto the show!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:14 pm 

RickM wrote:
DC will be off to Sky. His BBC contract ends in December and Brundle is not only his best mate, but his manager too. It was MArtin who ousted Legard and got DC into the commentary box, so he'll certainly be pulling strings at Sky, who would likely love to replace Hill with DC.

As long as they keep Brundle, Ted and Johnny I'll be happy - really shocked at just how awesome Johnny is as a pundit - he was only supposed to be doing it as a one-off but is now part of the crew.

One thing's for sure - Sky do a great job at getting former drivers onto the show!

Brundle i don't think is doing the management these days.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:18 pm 

Johnston wrote:
RickM wrote:

Brundle i don't think is doing the management these days.

I know he left 2MB back in 09 but he was still managing DC, at least in 2010/2011 he was, along with his own son. I recall him saying he still does a bit on the side for one or two former drivers.