planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:45 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:56 pm 

With the possibility of rain in Sao Paulo this weekend, got me thinking about previous wet races especially Senna at Donnington and Lewis at Silverstone. Have to be my 2 favourites wet drives and love seeing great drivers pitting their skills against the elements. What would you say is your favourite drive/race in the rain?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:04 pm 

Shumy in in 97' ( haven't seen it in full race though)
Gilles Villeneuve in Canada
Ayrton Senna in Donnington and Monaco
89' adelaide (That was chaotic!)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:05 pm 

Yeah Lewis's drive at Silverstone was amazing particurly being there, I was sat by the final corner and when he came round on the final lap the noise from the crowd was amazing!

Button's win in Canada was great although he only really came alive when it started to dry, schumi's in Spain all those years ago might be my favourite due to how bad his car was and yet he like Lewis was a virtually a minute ahead of second place. Stunning stuff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:06 pm 

Schuey in Monaco 1997. I was only 6 at the time but not once did my attention divert to anything else for those whole two hours.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:36 am 

Button in Canada. This was just epic.
Schumi as well.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:38 am 

Not a win per say but Hamilton in Brazil was tense as hell!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:47 am 

Hamilton in Silverstone 2008 (although I think his huge gap over 2nd place was a bit lucky)*
Brazil 2008 (extremely tense)
China 2007 (how can a Kimi fan not love that race?)
Fuji 2007 (Kimi had an awesome battle with Heikki, and I believe Alonso crashed)
Nurburgring 2007 (I was in Australia at the time, watching in the hotel at 1am so maybe I was overly excited to even see any F1 action :lol: )

That's all I can think of now.

*I watched that race 2 or 3 times in the past few months, and Kimi wasn't that far off of Lewis' pace. It was the pitstop that really killed Kimi. He followed Alonso by staying on the same tires, but refueling. They both went backwards immensely and had to pit again a few laps later. Hamilton definitely showed Heikki who was boss, but first the first stint Heikki was also right up there with Kimi and Lewis. But all in all, it was a great drive from Hamilton.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:54 am 

The best wet race discussion begins and ends with Spa '98. :D Damon's drive was nothing spectacular but he was pretty strong all weekend.

Stand out drives are mainly from Schumacher. Spain 96, Monaco and Spa '97, Silverstone and Spa '98. Lewis at Silverstone and Jenson at Canada were pretty epic recent drives too.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:28 am 

My favourite drive in the rain is any in which I have forgotten my raincoat or umbrella and I have been given a lift by a family member or a friend! :D

In addition to the above, the 2006 Hungarian GP was a brilliant wet race with Alonso, Schumacher and Button carving up the field, great drive from de la Rosa as well. Who can forget the 2003 Brazilian Grand Prix? Drama right to the end, the winner's car catching fire in parc ferme.

The underlying thing about all this,no matter how bright you are,no matter how logical one is or how much money one has,you have to be a completely stupid optimist...I believe there are about 3 million competition licences worldwide. -Perry McCarthy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:41 am 

Vettel's drive in brazil 2008... almost costing the title to hami... that too in a torro rosso

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:48 am 

China 2006 by Schumacher - nobody gave hime a chance to win that GP. I still remember jumping out of chair and showing my middle finger to all those pundits (as if they could see me :lol: ) who wrote him off. :D

USGP 2000 and SPA 2000 are also my favourites.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:55 am 

Senna88 wrote:
Yeah Lewis's drive at Silverstone was amazing particurly being there, I was sat by the final corner and when he came round on the final lap the noise from the crowd was amazing!

Button's win in Canada was great although he only really came alive when it started to dry, schumi's in Spain all those years ago might be my favourite due to how bad his car was and yet he like Lewis was a virtually a minute ahead of second place. Stunning stuff
Me too, i was at Luffield B for that :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:05 am 

French GP at Magny Cours in 1999. Plenty of drama which ended with HH Frentzen winning after a "Brawn-esque" strategy call from Jordan. Now that was a classic race! :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:10 am 

senna at monaco in a toleman. and lewis at a very wet monaco - this is the track for driving skill

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:54 am 

Schumacher Spain 1996. Was on a completely different level that day.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:57 am 

xECKSx58 wrote:
Hamilton in Silverstone 2008 (although I think his huge gap over 2nd place was a bit lucky)*

I see what you're saying but I disagree. As you say his pace wasn't that spectacular in the early part of the race and Raikkonen was staying in touch. However there was a period later in the race of about 10 laps or so when it really chucked it down and Hamilton was about 5 or 6 seconds a lap faster than anyone expect Barrichello who had the full wets on, and that's where the massive winning margin came from. Raikkonen not messed up his tyre choice then Hamilton's winning margin may not have been the 70-odd seconds that it was, but I think it still would have been around 40-50 second mark. When the rain really came down in the second half of the race Hamilton was in a class of his own.

Could you say the same for Senna in Donington though? I didn't see the race (as I was about 4 years old at the time) but I understand that Prost wasn't too far behind but made some poor tyre choices at his stops and that dropped him back?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:13 am 

j man wrote:
xECKSx58 wrote:

I see what you're saying but I disagree. As you say his pace wasn't that spectacular in the early part of the race and Raikkonen was staying in touch. However there was a period later in the race of about 10 laps or so when it really chucked it down and Hamilton was about 5 or 6 seconds a lap faster than anyone expect Barrichello who had the full wets on, and that's where the massive winning margin came from. Raikkonen not messed up his tyre choice then Hamilton's winning margin may not have been the 70-odd seconds that it was, but I think it still would have been around 40-50 second mark. When the rain really came down in the second half of the race Hamilton was in a class of his own.

Could you say the same for Senna in Donington though? I didn't see the race (as I was about 4 years old at the time) but I understand that Prost wasn't too far behind but made some poor tyre choices at his stops and that dropped him back?

Donington 1993 definitely is a great wet weather race. Senna lapped the whole field. It is true that Prost stalled when he tried to get away after a pitstop, but he would still have been far behind. Right before that pitstop Prost was 2nd, but nearly 30s behind Senna. He easily lost an average of 1.5s a lap. So with 26 laps still to go, I guess Prost would have ended where Hill approx did, and that was right about 1 lap.

2013 follower of :

Fernando Alonso

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:22 am 

Alesi - Japan '95
Man, I'm getting old. :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:35 am 

Senna in Monaco where he caught Prost until the race was stopped.
Damon Hill in SPA 98 (ya huge hand from the crashes and Jordan Team orders).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:47 am 

JimJamz wrote:
French GP at Magny Cours in 1999. Plenty of drama which ended with HH Frentzen winning after a "Brawn-esque" strategy call from Jordan. Now that was a classic race! :D

Was just about to post this! Barrichello and Hakkinen were unbelievable that day & yet Frentzen quietly went about his job (losing drive at one odd stage) to sneak an unlikely victory.

Brazil 2003 is one of my favourite races of all time too. Fisichella in the Jordan.

#14 for '14

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:48 am 

lunatic wrote:
Senna88 wrote:

Me too, i was at Luffield B for that :thumbup:

Me three :D I was on the main straight too, in line with the podium, awwww yeahhhh.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:33 pm 

Schumi......I remember he used to win every kart race on ice?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:16 am 

Alonso - Hungaroring 2006

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEPgPWIbAzA