planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:40 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:58 pm 

Lancaster wrote:
To all those who say they haven't heard of Burn before, as if that is a negative thing - have you pondered upon the entire reason of sponsorship?

What were they meant to do - heighten awareness before plunging into F1, by some means of marketing campagin, by, oh I don't know, plasterning their name across a billboard, or even better, how about using their name and colours on a sportscar, such as F1, but hold on, before that, no one has heard of them, so perhaps they should heighten awarenes...oh no, I've gone crosseyed.

There is no point in using the Coca-Cola brand - there is no market that F1 visits that hasn't already had over saturation of that brand. You haven't heard of Burn, but guess what, we're talking about it now.

Plus - It has pretty colours. :]

yeah baby yeah!!

I'll get my coat :blush:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:35 pm 

Ev0lutionz wrote:
Wtf is burn? Never heard of it before.

It is lots and lots of calories in a tin so people who already have twice as many as they need can have more without the hassle of having to eat :D

I suppose we will lose that loverly black and gold now then?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:37 pm 

What a gherkin poor missed marketing opportunity. Stupid Coca Cola.

Should have sponsored McLaren with their 'Monster Energy' brand, and taken it to Red Bull. Then Pepsicola should have sponsored Ferrari with the Gatorade brand.
Edit: my mistake - Monster is only distributed by Coca Cola - not made by them.

Last edited by RickM on Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:38 pm 

GSM need to put Lucozade back on the Maccas, and Ferrari need to be sponsored by Mother (Aussie energy drink?) or some equivalant so we can have the energy drink wars...

Red Bull (Red Bull I think) vs. Burn (Lotus) vs. Lucozade (Macca) vs. Mother/TNT (Ferrari) vs. Monster (Merc) vs. Red Bull Diet (Toro Rosso)

Edit: Apparently Ferrari has TNT as a sponsor, so they should make it more prominant and ignite this energy drink war!!!!

Last edited by jammin78 on Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:00 pm 

I think Ferrari already has TNT as an energy drink sponsor.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:05 pm 

Well in that case, game on!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:14 pm 

Time for the KR PR machine to swing into action:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:32 pm 

Lojik wrote:
I'd never even heard of Burn until I read this thread and googled it. So in a way their involvement in F1 is working already, even though you couldn't pay me to drink crap like that.

Exactly my thoughts. :D
Other than i don't mind couple of energy drinks every month or so. I wonder do they sell this in Finland. Haven't ever seen it... not that i have really looked either.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:47 pm 

tissot wrote:
Lojik wrote:
I'd never even heard of Burn until I read this thread and googled it. So in a way their involvement in F1 is working already, even though you couldn't pay me to drink crap like that.

Other than i don't mind couple of energy drinks every month or so. I wonder do they sell this in Finland. Haven't ever seen it... not that i have really looked either.

According to the Coca-Cola Company website, they don't, but even though I haven't looked for it in stores and therefore not seen it I've seen people drinking it so much I simply cannot believe they wouldn't.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:48 pm 

seandean41 wrote:
Sure they weren't already sponsoring Lotus and Heidfeld last year?

Burn baby burn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:22 pm 

Water wrote:
tissot wrote:
Lojik wrote:

According to the Coca-Cola Company website, they don't, but even though I haven't looked for it in stores and therefore not seen it I've seen people drinking it so much I simply cannot believe they wouldn't.

People in northern Finland goes and buy it from Haaparanta.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:29 pm 

Laura23 wrote:
Hakkattack wrote:
Haribo wrote:
Bit dissappointing they chose Lotus, never heared of "Burn". Thought it would be McLaren or Mercedes.
B

yes, because McLaren and Mercedes are so low on funds :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well if Lotus are struggling as much as is rumoured then it is a bit strange and maybe a bit silly of Coca Cola choosing them over a team with plenty money and therefore a secure future like Mercedes.

Anyway this deal could end up being a disaster yet. Hardly anyone has heard of Burn, let alone knows they are a Coca Cola brand. I think they should have entered F1 with a slightly more established brand, Sprite or Powerade perhaps.

The whole point of sponsorship is to broaden the brand name. If hardly anyone has heard of Burn, the one thing it can never be is a disaster, because their brand name recognition will increase by the number of race fans at least. From the sound of things, they plan an Infiniti / Puma like forray into the sport, where they have unique sponsorhip gigs ("fun" or "weird" or "out there") to enhance that recognition.

But mainly, Lotus needs and deserves the sponsorship cash, so, go boys go!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:32 pm 

Meh. The Burn brand looks terrible. Should have used Powerade instead.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:41 pm 

Laura23 wrote:

Why? Maybe F1 sponsorship is good way to improve brand and image.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:50 pm 

dizlexik wrote:
Laura23 wrote:

Why? Maybe F1 sponsorship is good way to improve brand and image.

I think what he means is that the logo/brand itself looks horrible.
Imo it's certainly not the worst logo to be attached to gold and black livery, but it will be all about the execution. You can make those flames look horrible in a other ways quite classy looking livery.

Water wrote:
tissot wrote:
Lojik wrote:

Actually after you said that i have seen those Burn cans here in the capital area.

Last edited by tissot on Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:51 pm 

Ev0lutionz wrote:
Wtf is burn? Never heard of it before.

I never heard of Monster until it appeared on Brawn, now every time I notice it in the shops it reminds me of Brawn team :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:59 pm 

Torro Rosso should go for a Red Bull Sugar Free livery for 2013, McLaren all out Lucazade. Energy drinks can be the cigarette sponsors F1 has been looking to replace...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:01 pm 

Seanie wrote:
Energy drinks can be the cigarette sponsors F1 has been looking to replace...

That's actually a good point. Granted are energy drinks more for the F1 crowd than cigarettes? I personally don't know, but i guess it's the market they want to be visible as well. It's certainly business like cigarettes once were where the production costs are low but profits are huge.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:02 pm 

Like others have mentioned I've never heard of "Burn"

Maybe cos it isn't sold in the UK or USA, which I find surprising considering its a Coca-Cola brand

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:05 pm 

Saorsa wrote:

Maybe cos it isn't sold in the UK or USA, which I find surprising considering its a Coca-Cola brand

I'm myself actually shocked Coca Cola hasn't made a bigger jump towards energy drinks... i mean energy drinks are the 2000 soda as far as profits go. Or do they own some other big energy drink brand that i'm just not aware of?

Last edited by tissot on Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:08 pm 

Burn?

Is that what Kimi feels when he pees?!

(If that jokes been done I'm sorry!)

It ain't hating just 'cause it's not love

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:11 pm 

SilverstoneRegular wrote:
Burn?

Is that what Kimi feels when he pees?!

(If that jokes been done I'm sorry!)

I didn't think it was too funny, but apparently Burn themselves are kind of using it...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:15 pm 

I remember drinking one free sample of burn few years ago and I couldn't sleep at night. :frown: Last week I refused to take free sample of Red Bull, because I value my sleeping.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:27 pm 

tissot wrote:
Seanie wrote:
Energy drinks can be the cigarette sponsors F1 has been looking to replace...

That's actually a good point. Granted are energy drinks more for the F1 crowd than cigarettes? I personally don't know, but i guess it's the market they want to be visible as well. It's certainly business like cigarettes once were where the production costs are low but profits are huge.

Probably much easier and acceptable to promote at a race, freebies etc.

Its always seems to be the addictive, potentially dangerous industry that wants to sponsor F1 :o :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:45 pm 

tissot wrote:
Saorsa wrote:

I'm myself actually shocked Coca Cola hasn't made a bigger jump towards energy drinks... i mean energy drinks are the 2000 soda as far as profits go. Or do they own some other big energy drink brand that i'm just not aware of?

Coke own Poweraid, Relentless, Rockstar and a bunch of country-specific ones, in addition to Burn.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:00 pm 

RickM wrote:
tissot wrote:
Saorsa wrote:

Coke own Poweraid, Relentless, Rockstar and a bunch of country-specific ones, in addition to Burn.

That's right, in Malta they have Crest which is their copy of the Maltese soda Kinnie. Absolutely F'in terrible!

It ain't hating just 'cause it's not love

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:05 pm 

dizlexik wrote:
I remember drinking one free sample of burn few years ago and I couldn't sleep at night. :frown: Last week I refused to take free sample of Red Bull, because I value my sleeping.

Yeh. I always wonder about people who drink these drinks too.

Can some regulars tell us what the point is? My local bar now sells these 'bombs' of shorts in energy drinks. Last thing I want when I go for a drink is to be would up. Whats the 'desired effect'?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:09 pm 

Kolby wrote:
Didn't Coca Cola sponsored some F1 team back in the old days?

No, as far as I remember.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:41 am 

Porsan wrote:
Kolby wrote:

They sponsored Christian Horner's Arden Gp2 team back in F3000 around ten years ago. Possibly an Indy team too?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:35 am 

bourbon19 wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
Hakkattack wrote:
Haribo wrote:
Bit dissappointing they chose Lotus, never heared of "Burn". Thought it would be McLaren or Mercedes.
B

yes, because McLaren and Mercedes are so low on funds :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well if Lotus are struggling as much as is rumoured then it is a bit strange and maybe a bit silly of Coca Cola choosing them over a team with plenty money and therefore a secure future like Mercedes.

Anyway this deal could end up being a disaster yet. Hardly anyone has heard of Burn, let alone knows they are a Coca Cola brand. I think they should have entered F1 with a slightly more established brand, Sprite or Powerade perhaps.

The whole point of sponsorship is to broaden the brand name. If hardly anyone has heard of Burn, the one thing it can never be is a disaster, because their brand name recognition will increase by the number of race fans at least. From the sound of things, they plan an Infiniti / Puma like forray into the sport, where they have unique sponsorhip gigs ("fun" or "weird" or "out there") to enhance that recognition.

I agree.. The purpose of this sponsor is to increase awareness about their brand... i think they chose burn wisely..... People have started googling it even before it has been put on the car!!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:39 am 

Usman wrote:
bourbon19 wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
Hakkattack wrote:
Haribo wrote:
B

I agree.. The purpose of this sponsor is to increase awareness about their brand... i think they chose burn wisely..... People have started googling it even before it has been put on the car!!!

reason why coke didnt enter with its own brand that's large due to no ppl in this world unaware of Coke as a beverage brand. better to promote some new brand with the profit earned from coke brand itself.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:41 am 

Crikey, I wouldn't hire any of you lot as marketing strategists! The use of the burn brand is all about gaining specific brand recognition in a market sector dominated by a rival (in this case Red Bull). The Coke brand is useless to directly counter Red Bull, it has to be the actual sector brand. Powerade is not under any circumstances in the same sector as burn. burn is in the caffeinated beverage sector and is a direct competitor to Red Bull, whereas Powerade is a sports drink, and the F1 market, (esp with Kimi as a team driver) isn't really a good place for the health and fitness angle. As burn is sold in about 3/5 of the places F1 races in, that's pretty good market coverage. And, if F1 actually takes off in the States, they've go the Full Throttle brand just waiting in the wings - seeing as it's pretty common to change car liveries for location or date specific things. Apropos of nothing, Full Throttle is marketed with a tag line that includes 'No bull.' Awesome.

I think it's a smart choice by Coca Cola, and the Lotus culture is well matched to the image burn wishes to create, and we might even get to see Kimi enjoying working the PR & sponsor work for once?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:46 am 

Joe Saward hinted more sponsors to come for Lotus

Joe Saward
Not in the least bit. I expect to hear more from Lotus on the sponsorship front in the weeks ahead. And maybe I will name some more names…

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2012/11/ ... onsorship/

Once again it shows that, kimi wont sign a deal that lead him into vain.

Bring it on 2013!!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:52 am 

as a kimi fan i hope this is just he start and hopefully some investors as well.... kimi is doing great in keeping this team growing but i have doubt about gros keping the repair bill at minimal. I suppose kimi is as good as a pay driver in terms of finance.

WELCOME BACK KIMI!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:48 am 

Lancaster wrote:
Porsan wrote:
Kolby wrote:

They sponsored Christian Horner's Arden Gp2 team back in F3000 around ten years ago. Possibly an Indy team too?

Yup, I also think I've seen some Coca-Cola livered Indy car, but I don't any of these cases are a direct Coca-cola sponsoring, more like national or local distributors or bottlers.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:58 am 

Could someone tell me what the hell is burn? I've never heard of it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:29 am 

REPLICATE wrote:
Could someone tell me what the hell is burn? I've never heard of it.

Nobody has until this came up.

It's an energy drink. Basically the same crap you get in a can of Redbull, Monster, Relentless, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:12 pm 

RickM wrote:
tissot wrote:
Saorsa wrote:

Oh didn't know they own Poweraid and Rockstar. Both certainly common here.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:13 pm 

tissot wrote:
RickM wrote:
tissot wrote:
Saorsa wrote:

Yup, TBH I didnt know they owned Rockstar until I looked at their product list. It's massive!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Coca-Cola_brands

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:37 pm 

RickM wrote:
tissot wrote:
RickM wrote:
tissot wrote:
Saorsa wrote:

Yup, TBH I didnt know they owned Rockstar until I looked at their product list. It's massive!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Coca-Cola_brands

Don't think they own Rockstar Rick, just distribute it.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...