planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:39 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:43 pm 

http://www.auto123.com/en/racing-news/f ... tid=150082

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:47 pm 

<Removed>

Last edited by F1yer on Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:59 pm 

Is anyone interested in what the spineless Piquet has to say these days?

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:04 pm 

F1yer wrote:
Bullshit. He is a cheater and should have been in jail

So should the likes of Alonso and McLaren be jailed for their own cheating crimes in F1?

And he really don't say anything wrong in the article, yet again a case of bashing someone without checking the contents.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:08 pm 

F1Thomas wrote:
F1yer wrote:

So should the likes of Alonso and McLaren be jailed for their own cheating crimes in F1?

If Alonso was so much of an inch involved in crashgate , he should be.
Honestly I find it bizzare that he didnt even know about it. But thats besides the point.

Spygate etc are corporate crimes and penalty is a justified means to deal with it - however deliberate crashing is risking lives of others (including spectators)

Nothing short of jail should do. Singapore has funny laws that they let Piquet walk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:09 pm 

F1yer wrote:
F1Thomas wrote:
F1yer wrote:

Honestly I find it bizzare that he didnt even know about it. But thats besides the point.

Spygate etc are corporate crimes and penalty is a justified means to deal with it - however deliberate crashing is risking lives of others (including spectators)

Nothing short of jail should do. Singapore has funny laws that they let Piquet walk

Wasn't actually talking about crashgate, talking about the cheating he was clearly found doing (With McLaren)

As stated there's nothing wrong with what piquet says in the article.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:10 pm 

wow, some people do like the moral high ground.

To answer the OP, NPJ seems genuinely in awe of Alonso's speed and it's pretty honest of him to admit that he simply couldn't touch Alonso at all on track. So I can understand his observation that other cars would be quicker based on his assumption that Alonso is naturally faster than anybody else anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:19 pm 

F1Thomas wrote:
F1yer wrote:

And he really don't say anything wrong in the article, yet again a case of bashing someone without checking the contents.

Alonso was not found guilty either in '07 or '08.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:21 pm 

F1Thomas wrote:
F1yer wrote:
F1Thomas wrote:
F1yer wrote:

Wasn't actually talking about crashgate, talking about the cheating he was clearly found doing (With McLaren)

The only proven cheaters lately was McLaren, Lewis Hamilton and Nelson Piquet?
Where can you read that Alonso has been found guilty?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:22 pm 

Piquet probably gave that interview while driving a truck in circles. Brick on the gas pedal and some bungie cord keeping the steering wheel pointed left..

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:25 pm 

AnRs wrote:
F1Thomas wrote:
F1yer wrote:
F1Thomas wrote:
F1yer wrote:

The only proven cheaters lately was McLaren, Lewis Hamilton and Nelson Piquet?
Where can you read that Alonso has been found guilty?

I'm not sure if that's tongue in cheek or not. It was Alonso's (self) incriminating emails which pretty much put the noose around McLaren's neck. It showed that he was actively involved in the cheating but he wasn't convicted because the drivers were granted immunity for reasons which escape me

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:27 pm 

_

Last edited by F1yer on Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:29 pm 

Zoue wrote:
I'm not sure if that's tongue in cheek or not. It was Alonso's (self) incriminating emails which pretty much put the noose around McLaren's neck. It showed that he was actively involved in the cheating but he wasn't convicted because the drivers were granted immunity for reasons which escape me

Fairly sure the reasons were that Max wanted to sink Ron.

with the amount of smoke Nelson has just blown up Alonsos pickle he must be chasing Massas seat :-P

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:32 pm 

Not that I'm an admirer of Piquet Jr. in any way, but he does have every reason to hate Alonso after his dreadful time as his teammate. Anyway his praise of Alonso doesn't count to me, just that he said Alonso was never guilty of anything. It removes my last bit of doubt that Alonso wasn't involved in crashgate.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:34 pm 

Johnston wrote:
Zoue wrote:

with the amount of smoke Nelson has just blown up Alonsos pickle he must be chasing Massas seat :-P

yeah, you're right. I was being half ironic. Should have said legitimate reasons ;)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:41 pm 

callMEcrazy wrote:
F1Thomas wrote:
F1yer wrote:

Because he is F1's golden child and has been for years...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:53 pm 

That was interesting. I'm sure he has nothing but bad memories of his time with Renault. I was sure he would have included Alonso in some badmouthing towards his former employers. Obviously he has very high respect for his old team mate (even if his statements that Alonso could win in a Lotus or Sauber are cases of extreme exaggerating).

#14 for '14

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:11 pm 

Hakkattack wrote:
callMEcrazy wrote:
F1Thomas wrote:
F1yer wrote:

Because he is F1's golden child and has been for years...

In Formula 1 you only get to be the golden child if you're THAT DAMN GOOD. Senna...Schumacher...Alonso. The mantle gets handed down through generations. I'll leave you at that. :]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:54 pm 

The comments he made were pretty reasonable. I'm not sure why we're criticising the man and not analysing what he said.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:54 pm 

I actually have alot of sympathy for the situation Piquet Jnr found himself in. He was 23 and was railroaded into his actions by a thoroughly unscrupulous Briatore. Of course he should have known better, but I don't see why he should pay for it for the rest of his life.

He's now doing very well in Nascar trucks, plus he entered two Nationwide races this year and won one of them. The guy clearly has talent, it just a shame he had the misfortune to get involved with Briatore during his F1 stint.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:59 pm 

healey wrote:
I actually have alot of sympathy for the situation Piquet Jnr found himself in. He was 23 and was railroaded into his actions by a thoroughly unscrupulous Briatore. Of course he should have known better, but I don't see why he should pay for it for the rest of his life.

He's now doing very well in Nascar trucks, plus he entered two Nationwide races this year and won one of them. The guy clearly has talent, it just a shame he had the misfortune to get involved with Briatore during his F1 stint.

careful, you may get burned at the stake by association on here :]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:26 pm 

So the article is basically saying Alonso is driving an HRT ... I guess Massa should be up there as the second best driver on the grid then if he could drive that horrible horrible car better than Alonso last race.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:32 pm 

Woah...lots of vitriol and sanctimony in here!

As if PJr instigated the whole thing and everyone else was completely innocent...

Still, it's an excuse to lob abuse at someone while retaining the support of those around you, and this is the internet after all.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:35 pm 

healey wrote:

:thumbup: for the whole post, but especially the bold section.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:08 pm 

I have the feeling that if Piquet Jr were saying the opposite (ie, that Alonso is not that good and that he had to know about Crashgate) many of those who criticise him mercilessly would suddenly find reasons to give heed to what he is saying.

Edit: typo

Last edited by morgana on Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:11 pm 

F1yer wrote:

:thumbup: Along with Alonso

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:32 pm 

healey wrote:

I kind of agree. It's very easy to judge, but really nobody has the faintest idea the pressure he was under or even perhaps the full truth of the circumstances. We all like to think we do the right thing all the time, but honestly most people don't. He did a dumb thing and has been punished, but in the grand scheme of things he's hardly a terrible human being.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:39 pm 

Guccio wrote:
F1yer wrote:

:thumbup: Along with Alonso

:lol: get over it, seriously

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:08 pm 

Lojik wrote:
healey wrote:

I kind of agree. It's very easy to judge, but really nobody has the faintest idea the pressure he was under or even perhaps the full truth of the circumstances. We all like to think we do the right thing all the time, but honestly most people don't. He did a dumb thing and has been punished, but in the grand scheme of things he's hardly a terrible human being.

Pressure or no pressure. There are certain lines you dont cross. That was one of them. Not only he was not good enough to warrant the seat on merit, he had no business putting other people or himself in the position where he agrees to cause a major crash.
Blocking, pitting, letting team mate by, being aggressive on track are all fine. But to cause a crash on purpose regardless who ordered it is an ultimate sin in modern F1. How FIA agreed for plea and immunity against information is beyond me. And Singapore government not wanting a drama let him walk. He is lucky to be free in the world.
Spying, cheating, lying all can be forgiven, this cant. We are talking about possibility of immediate bodily harm to people. Not just for drivers but for spectators who are closest to the whole track action than anywhere else in the world at Singapore.
Not to mention he managed to come out of whole thing with fat pay cheque thanks to the lawsuit is disgusting. I have no sympathy for him.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:31 pm 

Bakerking31 wrote:
So the article is basically saying Alonso is driving an HRT ... I guess Massa should be up there as the second best driver on the grid then if he could drive that horrible horrible car better than Alonso last race.

+1 :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:58 pm 

Johnston wrote:
Zoue wrote:

Reading the article, that was my first thought too :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:53 am 

well, pat symonds claimed that Piquet jr came to them and offer the idea to crash willingly.....

this guy is born to be a cheat, and will do whatever he needs to kept the seat, racing fairly excluded.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:28 am 

NvrDieYoung wrote:
well, pat symonds claimed that Piquet jr came to them and offer the idea to crash willingly.....

this guy is born to be a cheat, and will do whatever he needs to kept the seat, racing fairly excluded.

Well, if proven liar and cheater Pat Symonds said it then it must be true...
Why automatically take Symonds' version of events over Piquet's?
No driver would randomly walk up to his team boss and offer to crash.
What a ridiculous notion.
How some people can't see that it was obviously Symonds'/Briatore's idea is beyond comprehension.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:45 am 

Lentulus wrote:
NvrDieYoung wrote:

Well, if proven liar and cheater Pat Symonds said it then it must be true...
Why automatically take Symonds' version of events over Piquet's?
No driver would randomly walk up to his team boss and offer to crash.
What a ridiculous notion.
How some people can't see that it was obviously Symonds'/Briatore's idea is beyond comprehension.

and how you left out alonso, the 1 who benefit the most and has huge history on asking his teammate to do whatever stuff in order for him to win.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:56 am 

For me Piquet Jr. got what he deserved. He wasn't banned from all forms of racing. Yes he wasn't the only one guilty. Flavio and Symmonds have got their punishment as well. But don't tell me Piquet Jr. was too young or pressured or stuff like that. A kid is not given a super license. And he was trying out for a million dollar job. I mean its not like he was a homeless guy desperately in need of food and shelter. He could have made the right choice and earn his seat the right way.

What he is saying though doesn't have anything to do with that. He saw F1 up close and was in it for a while so he can probably make some credible assessments of driver performance. Its the same as it would be if Symmonds made this comment.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:13 am 

callMEcrazy wrote:
For me Piquet Jr. got what he deserved. He wasn't banned from all forms of racing. Yes he wasn't the only one guilty. Flavio and Symmonds have got their punishment as well. But don't tell me Piquet Jr. was too young or pressured or stuff like that. A kid is not given a super license. And he was trying out for a million dollar job. I mean its not like he was a homeless guy desperately in need of food and shelter. He could have made the right choice and earn his seat the right way.

What he is saying though doesn't have anything to do with that. He saw F1 up close and was in it for a while so he can probably make some credible assessments of driver performance. Its the same as it would be if Symmonds made this comment.

Not really, the guy generalize the car performance in some races out of 20. We all realize how close the grid would be in this season, and with tyre screwing around in first half of the season, many funny results arise.

The F2012 definately not a crap car. Especially after summer break, how massa keep improving and showing strong pace that can match mclaren and rbr. Also the car has the best launch, both massa and fernando are superb in start throughout the season, with their superb straighline speed, they can overtake cars in front easily.

Massa has showed how good he can be when he is on form, basically, his underperformance has hype up the car as crap in first half of the season.

Saying that alonso would get title in sauber and lotus are pure crap. Those two car's performance largely depends on the tyre itself, while the top 3 cars can ride on the tyre and be competitive anytime they wants.

If alonso ended up in lotus for example, he will suffer a slump in performance when their tyre advantage gone since spa, after wasted resources on the DDRS.

Nelson nvr take into account of that and make blunt statement like that. He hold grudge against the team because he lost his seat over there, although flavio and symond already left.

EDIT:

Some desperate fans trying to hype up Alonso, imo, he doesn't need that. Everyone has seen that Alonso has been very good in this season with very few mistakes.

but overhyping him by crapping the car or assume he can be WDC in other cars just sounds pathetic in a way. the team has been a major factor on strategy calls, mistakeless and fast pit stops. Something that lotus team lacks in race operation when they kept making wrong calls on pits, tyre compound and miserable pit stops.

it takes few element to be successful, in simple term would be driver + team + car.

lacking any of it wont grant you success.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:25 am 

NvrDieYoung wrote:
callMEcrazy wrote:

Not really, the guy generalize the car performance in some races out of 20. We all realize how close the grid would be in this season, and with tyre screwing around in first half of the season, many funny results arise.

The F2012 definately not a crap car. Especially after summer break, how massa keep improving and showing strong pace that can match mclaren and rbr. Also the car has the best launch, both massa and fernando are superb in start throughout the season, with their superb straighline speed, they can overtake cars in front easily.

Massa has showed how good he can be when he is on form, basically, his underperformance has hype up the car as crap in first half of the season.

Saying that alonso would get title in sauber and lotus are pure crap. Those two car's performance largely depends on the tyre itself, while the top 3 cars can ride on the tyre and be competitive anytime they wants.

EDIT:

Some desperate fans trying to hype up Alonso, imo, he doesn't need that. Everyone has seen that Alonso has been very good in this season with very few mistakes.

but overhyping him by crapping the car or assume he can be WDC in other cars just sounds pathetic in a way. the team has been a major factor on strategy calls, mistakeless and fast pit stops. Something that lotus team lacks in race operation when they kept making wrong calls on pits, tyre compound and miserable pit stops.

it takes few element to be successful, in simple term would be driver + team + car.

Hard to disagree with any of this.

The 'OTT' praise (Alonso would have won in a Sauber :? ) makes me think NP is hopeful of another drive in F1, probably replacing Massa to be Alonso's team mate again....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:08 am 

NvrDieYoung wrote:
callMEcrazy wrote:

If alonso ended up in lotus for example, he will suffer a slump in performance when their tyre advantage gone since spa, after wasted resources on the DDRS.

Nelson nvr take into account of that and make blunt statement like that. He hold grudge against the team because he lost his seat over there, although flavio and symond already left.

EDIT:

Fans can hardly help it when experts, commentators and ex drivers are praising Alonso left and right. Even Button, someone known not to like Alonso very much, just said he deserves the title more than Vettel (check out Autosport). Its driver+team+car alright. Alonso just scored more than anyone else this season on the driver part. If you disagree I don't really care because I have a whole host of people who are/were actually involved in F1 saying he did, and of course I think he did.

BTW I don't know why you responded to my post with that. I didn't even mention Alonso in that post. Just talking about Piquet Jr.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:17 am 

funkymonkey wrote:
Lojik wrote:
healey wrote:

Pressure or no pressure. There are certain lines you dont cross. That was one of them. Not only he was not good enough to warrant the seat on merit, he had no business putting other people or himself in the position where he agrees to cause a major crash.
Blocking, pitting, letting team mate by, being aggressive on track are all fine. But to cause a crash on purpose regardless who ordered it is an ultimate sin in modern F1. How FIA agreed for plea and immunity against information is beyond me. And Singapore government not wanting a drama let him walk. He is lucky to be free in the world.
Spying, cheating, lying all can be forgiven, this cant. We are talking about possibility of immediate bodily harm to people. Not just for drivers but for spectators who are closest to the whole track action than anywhere else in the world at Singapore.
Not to mention he managed to come out of whole thing with fat pay cheque thanks to the lawsuit is disgusting. I have no sympathy for him.

Where to begin..?

Senna & Schumacher, both giants in the sport, both in the top 5, if not 3, of the majority of Formula One fans around the world. Few would dispute their right to be recognised as among the greats of F1 and the sport has been richer for having them in it. Yet both deliberately caused accidents by crashing into other cars during a race. Not just crashing into a wall on their own, risking damage to themselves only, but actually using their cars as guided missiles to take out another competitor. It's arguable that there is no greater example of trying to cause actual bodily harm to other people, and these guys did it for personal gain. They weren't under any pressure by their teams, there was no outside influence pushing them into a corner. No, they did it because they wanted to win at all costs.

Now I'm a fan of both drivers, although I find those actions hard to stomach. Yet I cannot for the life of me understand the hypocrisy of demanding Nelson's head on a plate for what he did when he was clearly a man under enormous psychological pressure, while allowing Senna and Schumacher a free pass for whatever reason.

NPJ was an idiot. He shouldn't have done what he did, no question. But he put nobody at risk other than himself and arguably committed a far lesser crime than the two I just mentioned. He deserved to be punished, as did they. But he doesn't deserve to be constantly vilified and put in the stocks. He paid for his actions. People need to get over it and off their high horses on this.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:35 am 

Zoue wrote:
funkymonkey wrote:
Lojik wrote:
healey wrote:

Where to begin..?

Senna & Schumacher, both giants in the sport, both in the top 5, if not 3, of the majority of Formula One fans around the world. Few would dispute their right to be recognised as among the greats of F1 and the sport has been richer for having them in it. Yet both deliberately caused accidents by crashing into other cars during a race. Not just crashing into a wall on their own, risking damage to themselves only, but actually using their cars as guided missiles to take out another competitor. It's arguable that there is no greater example of trying to cause actual bodily harm to other people, and these guys did it for personal gain. They weren't under any pressure by their teams, there was no outside influence pushing them into a corner. No, they did it because they wanted to win at all costs.

Now I'm a fan of both drivers, although I find those actions hard to stomach. Yet I cannot for the life of me understand the hypocrisy of demanding Nelson's head on a plate for what he did when he was clearly a man under enormous psychological pressure, while allowing Senna and Schumacher a free pass for whatever reason.

NPJ was an idiot. He shouldn't have done what he did, no question. But he put nobody at risk other than himself and arguably committed a far lesser crime than the two I just mentioned. He deserved to be punished, as did they. But he doesn't deserve to be constantly vilified and put in the stocks. He paid for his actions. People need to get over it and off their high horses on this.

I think there's a world of difference between Senna/Schumi taking competitors out, and NP's actions.

Senna (IIRC) made it clear that he was so angry that he would take Prost out if Prost was ahead of him in the first corner? As far as I can recall, he wasn't penalised for this as it was more acceptable at the time.

Schumi made a spur of the moment decision(s), knowing that he needed to beat JV (Hill?) to win the WDC.

NP, on the other hand, agreed to crash (after '07 when the stewards had made it clear it was not acceptable under ANY circumstances) when asked by the team[i][/i]for no other reason than to improve his chances of being retained by Renault!