planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:11 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:48 pm 

Everyone's calling it the mother of all finales and I am struggling to understand why. 2007 and 08 were close finales and never heard anything like this, but somehow this is close than those years? Let's get it straight - the faster car (of the two) is going in with a big advantage into the final race with a driver on top of his form, and it's the fastest car on the grid too. How the hell is it close? Now it'd have been exciting if the slower car was ahead in points by say 10-15. That'd be epic. Even rain can't do much since the gap is too big. RBR even has a new alternator and even if the car fails, the race won't be exciting unless Alonso is fighting in 6th or 7th, trying to bridge the 13 point gap.

Honestly, it'd be a very boring finale to the season, IMO. I can't think of a scenario where it'd be exciting, let alone the mother of all finales. Even if Vettel makes a mistake (VERY uncharacteristic of him when he has the fastest car), it'd be very difficult for Alonso to bridge the gap.

I am really not sure why's everybody so excited.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:53 pm 

The season was done so early last year, I'll take whatever's going for an exciting finale!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:56 pm 

The WDC is still to be undecided with only one race left. It's win or bust for Vettel and Alonso. Ok Vettel has the better chance but that doesn't make it a foregone conclusion yet. If it rains then anything could happen.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:56 pm 

Less excited than I was for the US GP, but I'm still very interested to see what happens.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:10 pm 

Because this is sport!

Sport is littered with unimaginable stories happening. That's why we watch it isn't it?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:12 pm 

Its a title finale where we are gauranteed a triple Champion being crowned, at the final race. What's not to be excited about, regardless of the odds?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:12 pm 

thepitlane wrote:
Because this is sport!

Sport is littered with unimaginable stories happening. That's why we watch it isn't it?

"Anything can happen ..... and it normally does "

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:37 pm 

Have to agree with the OP, were it not for one variable...

Please please please let the weather gods make this interesting. :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:43 pm 

For me it's between the devil & the deep blue sea who gets WDC 2013. I really don't care too much , but the race is going to be exciting, even if the WDC fight isn't for me.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:25 pm 

Alonso fans may not want to pray too hard for the weather Gods:

Vettel has a good history of driving in the wet
    The wet Japanese Grand Prix in 2007 cost Alonso the title
    If it rains too much and the race doesn't reach 75%, half points are awarded meaning that Vettel will be champion regardless
    With Ferrari's poor qualifying, a wet start is riskier for Alonso than Vettel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:32 pm 

final day title race
triple world champion to be crowned
outcome of the race decides the WDC
rain

F1

excitedly like hell i am!!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:35 pm 

Gumption wrote:

If it rains too much and the race doesn't reach 75%, half points are awarded meaning that Vettel will be champion regardless
You didn't see Ferraris pace this year in wet then i take it?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:39 pm 

Yeah for me it's basically just another F1 race - no more, no less.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:41 pm 

The RB8 is superior to the Ferrari yes, but Mclaren is equally fast as Red Bull, it's not like Vettel has an easy race in his hands. Besides, it's supposed to rain on race day according to F1.com, and the Ferrari is strong in the wet in Alonso's hands.

It really boggles my mind how you cannot be excited, unless you are a Mclaren fan or something ;)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:45 pm 

no, im nto excited about it. I dont want the season to end lol

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:59 pm 

MikeV1987 wrote:
The RB8 is superior to the Ferrari yes, but Mclaren is equally fast as Red Bull, it's not like Vettel has an easy race in his hands. Besides, it's supposed to rain on race day according to F1.com, and the Ferrari is strong in the wet in Alonso's hands.

It really boggles my mind how you cannot be excited, unless you are a Mclaren fan or something ;)

Even as a McLaren fan I'm excited! Don't get me wrong i get excited about every freakin' race on the calendar, but I'm mega excited for Brazil! Odd given I'm not a fan of either title challenger. But there's so many other things at stake for Brazil. There's the last races for Hamilton, Hulk, Perez for their respective teams, the last race for Schu, the potential last race for Kamui, Senna, RoGro etc, there's Sauber vs. Merc (maybe), one last chance for Button/Lewis to one-up eachother, same goes for Rosberg and Schu... there's the dogged combat in the midfield that's been really good as of late, there's Kimi wanting to lose third in the WDC so he doesn't have to go to the gala :P

And a title fight I think. Oh, and it's Interlagos!!!!!!!

Not much to be excited about.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:06 pm 

Gumption wrote:

The thing is, Alonso wants the opportunity to take risks and have others forced to take risks. He want things unpredictable. A really wet one could well disadvantage him more than Vettel, but a totally clean normal weekend and it's more or less over even if he has the perfect race.
Even if the odds aren't in his favor it's still better for him if he at least gets to throw the dice.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:51 pm 

I'm looking forward to it, but I mostly expect it to fizzle out and be a predicable easy win for Vettel.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:58 pm 

We're excited because we like F1... I don't think that's an overly complicated concept to grasp...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:48 pm 

@ OP

Yes, seems like its just you and some other Lewis fans (i saw one in this thread...). :P

A lot of old timers who have been following F1 for a while now really are looking forward to it. It is strange that i, as a tifoso, i want Vettel to win the WDC, so Alonso and Lewis can just shut up their whinging about the Newey cars and drive ones they have. Though it must be said that Alonso actually has driven very well this year, perhaps his best drive in his career so far. This is sad, but a tifoso doesn't want Ferrari/ Alonso to win... again, not that he doesn't deserve it, but i'm sooooooooo tired of their (FA and LH's) collective whinging.

4) Lauda
5) Brabham

if you don't like it, too bad! There's a reason why it says "My Top 5"

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:01 pm 

I'm looking forward the video recap of the season more than anything else, always love those little montages, makes me remember why I love Formula 1!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:09 pm 

Fr33m3 wrote:
We're excited because we like F1... I don't think that's an overly complicated concept to grasp...

:lol:

Anyway, I was trying to think of a scenario where Alonso is leading about 10 laps from the end in the driving rain. Hamilton overtakes him and almost at the same time Vettel moves up to 3rd. Within a lap or so, someone (let's say Rosberg) crashes out on the straight and the yellow flags come out and the SC is signalled. Before this can happen Perez crashes into the stricken Mercedes spews tyres all over th track and they red flag it, end the race and full points count.

At first it appears that either Alonso has won (two laps before red flag) or Vettel was 4th. Subsequently we learn Hamilton just before the red flag crossed the line again and is in fact the race winner and Vettel finishes either on the podium or at worst still picks up enough points to clinch the WDC due to Hamilton's win. All that confusion would be a fitting end to the season and spark so many debates as to what would have happened for years to come.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:11 pm 

I'm a Vettel fan - so obviously the finale is exciting.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:04 pm 

bourbon19 wrote:
I'm a Vettel fan - so obviously the finale is exciting.

I suppose ditto, but…

I also found the run in to the WDCs in previous years exciting even if my teams and/or drivers weren't involved. Last one that springs to mind, not a finale though, is 2005.

I wanted Kimi to be a Ferrari WDC (that eventually happened) but dislike McLaren and also had been keeping an eye on Alonso since F3000 and predicted three years earlier Renailt would be contenders that year.

In the season I was still rooting for Schumacher, but realistically was torn between Alonso and Kimi. I was more Alonso, and he won. 2006 was a little more clear cut as to who to support, but Schumi lost.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:09 pm 

I find every race exciting......

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:04 pm 

lunatic wrote:
Gumption wrote:

You didn't see Ferraris pace this year in wet then i take it?

This was referring to a dry qualify and a wet race. Sorry for not explicitly stating that.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:07 pm 

Lojik wrote:
Less excited than I was for the US GP, but I'm still very interested to see what happens.

I'am excited as we just got week between the last race and the finale. I'm still all hyped up. :D

Sure the setup for the race might not be as interesting, especially as i'm so neutral towards both drivers, but we are talking about finale so of course Brazil will be special race.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:09 pm 

wolfticket wrote:
Gumption wrote:

The thing is, Alonso wants the opportunity to take risks and have others forced to take risks. He want things unpredictable. A really wet one could well disadvantage him more than Vettel, but a totally clean normal weekend and it's more or less over even if he has the perfect race.
Even if the odds aren't in his favor it's still better for him if he at least gets to throw the dice.

Completely agree. That's why I stated "too hard" regarding the weather. A good rain would stir the pot so-to-speak; however, Alonso and the Ferrari are podium contenders every race so too much rain would allow some mid-fielders to try enough alternate strategies to that one or two may get a podium and pretty much eliminate Alonso's chances of a needed podium.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:28 pm 

To finish first, first you have to finish.

Super excited!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:06 pm 

jammin78 wrote:
Its a title finale where we are gauranteed a triple Champion being crowned, at the final race. What's not to be excited about, regardless of the odds?

This. Triple World Champions are very rare, making up a little over 1% of the total number of drivers who have competed in F1. The last time one was crowned was 12 years ago. Before that, 9 years. One of these two is going to enter the 1% club, which is pretty exciting to me.

And, as someone else said, anything can happen in sport. Take nothing for granted.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:18 pm 

WDC on the line in the last race, especially after boring 2011
Interlagos race in rain (chance for light rain in qualy as well, especially for Q3)
Hamilton's last race for McLaren
Schumi's last race
HRT drama
Yes, I am excited, I need to get up before 3am to watch it, I might better not go to sleep at all :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:37 pm 

well i am excited ....but as far as im concerned its vettels title already...i hope im wrong but the odds are stacked very high in vettels favour.
I think the commentators are bigging it up, in reality everybody realises the title is vettels to lose, but they cant broadcast that can they !

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:51 pm 

It would be awesome if they were in similar standard of car, e.g. a McLaren v RB, but the Ferrari has been behind those two, so much so that everyone's expecting a boring one-sided 'finale'.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:25 am 

its gonna rain heavily.......expect red flag for 1 hour and then resume the race

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:25 am 

Bring it on! I've put a bet on Alonso coming home with the title, a long shot I know but Murray Walker use to say anything can happen in F1 and it normally does..

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:57 am 

First off, it's a Formula One race. If you're not excited by that one fact, maybe you should watch the soccer game instead.

History is being made, there will be a new three time champion crowned, that does not happen every day.

It's the end of an era, Michael Schumacher will truly retire after enjoying the most successful career in Formula One.

Some teams, such as McLaren and Ferrari, still have the WCC to fight over. Between them, it's worth about ten million dollars. For some drivers, they are driving for their jobs, for others they are there to make a statement.

Sure, the odds are stacked against Alonso, but if you've watched this season, anything can happen.

Enjoy it, it's a race in a great nation and track.

And really, if you're not excited about the upcoming race in Brazil, why waste energy making a post in here, why don't you just go do something else, and not watch Formula One?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:47 am 

ReservoirDog wrote:
Everyone's calling it the mother of all finales and I am struggling to understand why. 2007 and 08 were close finales and never heard anything like this, but somehow this is close than those years? Let's get it straight - the faster car (of the two) is going in with a big advantage into the final race with a driver on top of his form, and it's the fastest car on the grid too. How the hell is it close? Now it'd have been exciting if the slower car was ahead in points by say 10-15. That'd be epic. Even rain can't do much since the gap is too big. RBR even has a new alternator and even if the car fails, the race won't be exciting unless Alonso is fighting in 6th or 7th, trying to bridge the 13 point gap.

Honestly, it'd be a very boring finale to the season, IMO. I can't think of a scenario where it'd be exciting, let alone the mother of all finales. Even if Vettel makes a mistake (VERY uncharacteristic of him when he has the fastest car), it'd be very difficult for Alonso to bridge the gap.

I am really not sure why's everybody so excited.

Rain will help make it unpredictable; hopefully in Alonso's favour, if I may be a blatant fanboy for a moment here. :o You never know what could happen to Vettel, you saw him crash twice a few weeks ago, no?

Anyway, as a Ferrari fan I'll be happy as long as Alonso's on the podium. It was a massive drag having the championship end the way it did in 2010 with only Vettel up there. Also, as mentioned, this will be Schumi's absolute last race, which for this Ferrari fan is a bittersweet occasion. :?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:01 am 

Can't say I'm "excited", but I'm looking forward to the race and seeing what happens.

Cars aren't really allowed to drive in the rain anymore, so (heavy) rain could make the race disappointing - rather than exciting.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:51 am 

NvrDieYoung wrote:
its gonna rain heavily.......expect red flag for 1 hour and then resume the race

Current forecast is for the heaviest rain on Sunday morning, with lighter rain in the afternoon around race time.

Time....mm of precip expected:

01:00...1.5 mm

04:00....4.7 mm

07:00...2.5 mm

10:00...4.6 mm

13:00...2.7 mm

16:00...1.2 mm

19:00...0.7 mm

Race starts at 14:00hrs so if that forecast holds true we'll be in for a wet race, but with those figures it won't be a washout.

The biggest chance of significant rain on Saturday is between 13:00 and 16:00hrs, i.e. it could affect qualifying, which commences at 14:00hrs.

A fair amount of precipitation is also forecast on Saturday night, which could wash the track clean to a degree..

Sounds exciting to me :)

*Disclaimer: this is only a forecast: http://www.myweather2.com/Motor-Racing/Brazil/Interlagos-Circuit.aspx

- 2014 Championship leader (post-Austria)