planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:35 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:41 am 

MistaVega23 wrote:
F1nsider wrote:
He is almost single handedly putting them at the 4th in standings, generated so much hype about the team, gained them millions and millions of fans and put Lotus under the spot lights so many times this year, being on the podium almost half of the races. And there's no doubt of his contribution of them getting the newly sponsorship signed with Coca-Cola

Millions and millions of fans? Dream on.

Podiums in almost half the races? If you think 7 is 'almost half' of 19 then you need your head checked.

And no doubt of his contribution to Lotus getting the new sponsorship deal with Coca-Cola? Yes because he absolutely LOVES doing PR work, doesn't he?

he does have lots of fans..

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:06 am 

sivapc wrote:
MistaVega23 wrote:
F1nsider wrote:
He is almost single handedly putting them at the 4th in standings, generated so much hype about the team, gained them millions and millions of fans and put Lotus under the spot lights so many times this year, being on the podium almost half of the races. And there's no doubt of his contribution of them getting the newly sponsorship signed with Coca-Cola

Millions and millions of fans? Dream on.

Podiums in almost half the races? If you think 7 is 'almost half' of 19 then you need your head checked.

And no doubt of his contribution to Lotus getting the new sponsorship deal with Coca-Cola? Yes because he absolutely LOVES doing PR work, doesn't he?

he does have lots of fans..

I didn't really want to stoop to his level, but I think China alone can cover my statement. And Coca-Cola have recently approved a budget of 5-7 billion investments in China alone. Or that was Pepsi? I need to check

Asia loves Kimi more than any other driver. I hope we have some far-east members here who can confirm what I just said

EDIT: I really love my memory sometimes :)

$4 billion in China - http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 71040.html
More money into China - http://english.cri.cn/6826/2011/09/15/2021s658343.htm
$5 billion in India - http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 39410.html

As for Kimi playing a role in the team getting 'a' sponsor. I was referring to his results that put the team under the spot light. Why didn't Coca-Cola sign with Sauber? Williams? Force India (although they're heaving in India - see above link) all those other options would surely be cheaper right? But no, they chose a high enough profile team, that can be ont he headlines

I get all the F1 news from all the F1 websites on my RSS feed. Do you know how many recycled articles does a single Kimi interview create?

I'm not a person who would advise people to check their heads, but I would ask, are you living under a rock or something? Or are you illegally posting in this forum? You know that you have to be 13+ right?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:15 am 

If Kimi wasnt in the team , the team would have been sold by now. Probably F1 would be in danger of losing fans as well

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:23 am 

I've been wondering recently... Would Kubica have won a race in this year's car? He failed to win in 2010, back when that car was about as good as it is now (although maybe its absolute maximum pace, at its fastest, wasn't as good as it is now... But definitely not far off, and wasn't as sensitive to track conditions), at least at the start of the season... Lotus also continued their trend of dip in form this season, and Kimi won in the car when it definitely wasn't at its fastest.

He won in 2008 only when both Hamilton and Raikkonen retired and Massa ended up at the back of the field due to a pit stop problem - he was in the next fastest car, at the front.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:28 am 

F1yer wrote:
If Kimi wasnt in the team , the team would have been sold by now. Probably F1 would be in danger of losing fans as well

Really? And what source do you have to confirm this? Was the team in trouble before they signed Kimi?

And I don't recall F1 being in danger of losing fans during 2010 and 2011 (when Kimi wasn't there).

To answer the previous reply about my being a Schumi fan: No, I'm not bitter about his comeback. I love seeing the guy in a F1 car, and was glad I finally got to see him at Silverstone before he retired for good. Yes, the results have not come, but even if he won a couple of races you won't see me starting a thread of 'If Schumi wasn't at Merc they'd be sold by now and he's the sole reason for the team attracting new sponsors and single-handedly got them to xx in the standings'. I know how pathetic that sounds.

I love Kimi, but this over-the-top love for him on this forum is unbelievable.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:00 am 

MistaVega23 wrote:
F1yer wrote:

Really? And what source do you have to confirm this? Was the team in trouble before they signed Kimi?
Yes. But they still sort of are, although Kimi certainly has made things easier for them. If they still had Petrov and Heidfeld/Senna, it's not too far fetched to suggest they may be making plans to leave the sport at the end of this season.

And I don't recall F1 being in danger of losing fans during 2010 and 2011 (when Kimi wasn't there).
F1 lost quite a few fans when Kimi left, just like rallying lost a bunch of fans when he came back.

To answer the previous reply about my being a Schumi fan: No, I'm not bitter about his comeback. I love seeing the guy in a F1 car, and was glad I finally got to see him at Silverstone before he retired for good. Yes, the results have not come, but even if he won a couple of races you won't see me starting a thread of 'If Schumi wasn't at Merc they'd be sold by now and he's the sole reason for the team attracting new sponsors and single-handedly got them to xx in the standings'. I know how pathetic that sounds.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:41 am 

MistaVega23 wrote:
F1yer wrote:

Team was in doldrums and even now its just getting saved by the skin of their teeth. Renault pulled away and now have RBR as their works team.

If they hadnt found Coke - it could ve been game over. And Coke simply came for one reason - Kimi and Kimi alone - not even the top notch performances Kimi has been putting in. Its just the name and "I dont care" attitude of Kimi which is enough ! Win and podiums are a bonus.

And yes - there are at least 5-6 people I know who started watching F1 - only due to Kimi coming back ! If I were to estimate the new fans F1 gained (plus the ones who had left) it would be in the region of millions.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:55 am 

Porsan wrote:
NvrDieYoung wrote:
Porsan wrote:
May be the very much criticized Éric Boullier should deserve some credit.

for? screwing kimi up in bahrain by not asking romain to yield straightway?? and cant perform simple undercut strategy??

Eric later claimed that he doesnt wnt to make romain feel bad...........he treasure romain more than win.

LOL, I had been always told that Kimi coolness was all about never asking for team orders...

He didn't, Lotus realised how stupid it was not letting Kimi through (as any sensible team would do) and told Grosjean to let him past.

That's not the only case of bafflingly poor Lotus strategy that we've seen this year though. Even last race Lotus clearly brought Kimi in too late and, combined with a slow pit stop, really turnipped him over.

Kimi has done an outstanding job this year. Not perfect but just very, very good. He's been quick and incredibly mature, picking his fights better than any driver on the grid (that I've seen on the TV feed). Lotus owe him massively. You can tell that they realise this though as they've began to really big him up and talk about him a lot more on their Twitter feed, for example (e.g. Mini-Kimi).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:15 pm 

jammin78 wrote:
ManojHS wrote:
jammin78 wrote:
I think there's a bit of exaggeration in terms of his contribution to signing Coca-Cola... swearing on the podium, and a negative public attitude aren't too good, though at the same time his fan collective could well be something that Coca-Cola took into consideration. The fact Burn is largely promoted in Scandinavia (I think... I could be wrong) and Kimi has a massive fan base that they might want to tap into?

I think Lotus would still have surprised many, afterall 3 podiums from RoGro isn't anything to sniff at, given Perez's sudden stardom for the same amount of podiums and similar crash tendencies at the moment, and arguably RoGro has shown more natural speed from time to time. But the fact Kimi has put RoGro in the shade this year has made people think without him Lotus would be absolutely nowhere. Even if they had two RoGro's, they'd be on 200 points as a team, and in exactly the same position in the WCC. Kimi has just dragged them slightly closer to McLaren (nothing to sniff at mind you).

My point is, people seem to overestimate Kimi's importance to the team, as though they'd be nowhere without him. Yes he's important, like any star driver, but he hasn't made THAT big a difference I don't think. If anything actually, Lotus has had more grief since Kimi's been there, given his fan-base's cries of favouritism and mediocracy any time he didn't win a race or got a strategy wrong (not all fans I know, just some of the things I've seen on the forums... bloody armchair experts hehe).

Swearing on the podium, at-least Kimi's bit wasn't that controversial that sponsors would think of it as a factor, he is mature enough to understand that it caused a fuss once and he will not do it again. It is not a habit, it hasn't been.

Agreed, if he'd f-bombed like Vettel it may have been different. You never knw actually, swearing on the podium could be seen as 'rebellious' which may fit Burn's 'hardcore energy drink' image or something. Rebellious attitudes can be powerful marketing brands actually. He hasn't made a habit of it at all, and don't think he would, it was far too casual to be a forced effort.

Thing is, the whole sh*t thing has been blown completely out of proportion. In many European countries, it just means "bad" - I've even heard news anchors using it in the Netherlands and no-one bats an eyelid because it's not seen as a bad word. It's not as rebellious as people think!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:17 pm 

Zoue wrote:
jammin78 wrote:
ManojHS wrote:
jammin78 wrote:
I think there's a bit of exaggeration in terms of his contribution to signing Coca-Cola... swearing on the podium, and a negative public attitude aren't too good, though at the same time his fan collective could well be something that Coca-Cola took into consideration. The fact Burn is largely promoted in Scandinavia (I think... I could be wrong) and Kimi has a massive fan base that they might want to tap into?

I think Lotus would still have surprised many, afterall 3 podiums from RoGro isn't anything to sniff at, given Perez's sudden stardom for the same amount of podiums and similar crash tendencies at the moment, and arguably RoGro has shown more natural speed from time to time. But the fact Kimi has put RoGro in the shade this year has made people think without him Lotus would be absolutely nowhere. Even if they had two RoGro's, they'd be on 200 points as a team, and in exactly the same position in the WCC. Kimi has just dragged them slightly closer to McLaren (nothing to sniff at mind you).

My point is, people seem to overestimate Kimi's importance to the team, as though they'd be nowhere without him. Yes he's important, like any star driver, but he hasn't made THAT big a difference I don't think. If anything actually, Lotus has had more grief since Kimi's been there, given his fan-base's cries of favouritism and mediocracy any time he didn't win a race or got a strategy wrong (not all fans I know, just some of the things I've seen on the forums... bloody armchair experts hehe).

Swearing on the podium, at-least Kimi's bit wasn't that controversial that sponsors would think of it as a factor, he is mature enough to understand that it caused a fuss once and he will not do it again. It is not a habit, it hasn't been.

Agreed, if he'd f-bombed like Vettel it may have been different. You never knw actually, swearing on the podium could be seen as 'rebellious' which may fit Burn's 'hardcore energy drink' image or something. Rebellious attitudes can be powerful marketing brands actually. He hasn't made a habit of it at all, and don't think he would, it was far too casual to be a forced effort.

Thing is, the whole sh*t thing has been blown completely out of proportion. In many European countries, it just means "bad" - I've even heard news anchors using it in the Netherlands and no-one bats an eyelid because it's not seen as a bad word. It's not as rebellious as people think!

Depends where you come from though. Some cultures or upbringings will give you a different opinion. But that debate has been done to death elsewhere :P

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:31 pm 

mccormickja wrote:
Porsan wrote:
NvrDieYoung wrote:
Porsan wrote:

for? screwing kimi up in bahrain by not asking romain to yield straightway?? and cant perform simple undercut strategy??

Eric later claimed that he doesnt wnt to make romain feel bad...........he treasure romain more than win.

LOL, I had been always told that Kimi coolness was all about never asking for team orders...

He didn't, Lotus realised how stupid it was not letting Kimi through (as any sensible team would do) and told Grosjean to let him past.

That's not the only case of bafflingly poor Lotus strategy that we've seen this year though. Even last race Lotus clearly brought Kimi in too late and, combined with a slow pit stop, really turnipped him over.

Kimi has done an outstanding job this year. Not perfect but just very, very good. He's been quick and incredibly mature, picking his fights better than any driver on the grid (that I've seen on the TV feed). Lotus owe him massively. You can tell that they realise this though as they've began to really big him up and talk about him a lot more on their Twitter feed, for example (e.g. Mini-Kimi).

Yes he did.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:37 pm 

sgt.hartman wrote:
mccormickja wrote:
Porsan wrote:
NvrDieYoung wrote:
Porsan wrote:

Yes he did.

Technically he didn't. He told Lotus "if you want to have a chance to win the race I need to get past". Kimi could've fought Romain and beat him, but that would've cost more time and could hurt his tyres.

I don't really think he would've got mad at the team if they didn't ask Gros to move, which they only did 3 laps late anyway and hindered Kimi's chances to win

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:43 pm 

F1nsider wrote:
sgt.hartman wrote:
mccormickja wrote:

Yes he did.

Technically he didn't. He told Lotus "if you want to have a chance to win the race I need to get past". Kimi could've fought Romain and beat him, but that would've cost more time and could hurt his tyres.

I don't really think he would've got mad at the team if they didn't ask Gros to move, which they only did 3 laps late anyway and hindered Kimi's chances to win

Sure, sure "technically". Spin it however you want, he asked the team to move Grosjean out the way... Backed up by the fact that, in the press conference, he said "team orders aren't allowed" (and had to be corrected by the host)... His radio transmission was the type of transmission they used to make back when team orders were banned. Just like Alonso's "this is ridiculous" and "I'm much faster than Felipe".

He asked the team to get Romain out the way.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:52 pm 

sgt.hartman wrote:
F1nsider wrote:
sgt.hartman wrote:
mccormickja wrote:

Yes he did.

Sure, sure "technically". Spin it however you want, he asked the team to move Grosjean out the way... Backed up by the fact that, in the press conference, he said "team orders aren't allowed" (and had to be corrected by the host)... His radio transmission was the type of transmission they used to make back when team orders were banned. Just like Alonso's "this is ridiculous" and "I'm much faster than Felipe".

He asked the team to get Romain out the way.

I'm not really sure what are we arguing about here. I don't think Kimi "demanded" the team to ask Gros to move, you can't compare it to Alonso's demands, he made no fuss of it although it cost him a bigger shot at the win. He simply told them the fact that if he doesn't pass they won't be able to win it because Gros wasn't as fast as Vettel and Kimi was on a different strategy and much faster in the 2nd stint

We didn't hear any fuss about the whole thing in the aftermath of the race. If they were both fighting for the first place I don't think Kimi would even ask the team to do anything. I'm almost certain he wouldn't have asked that

If you're implying that Kimi is asking for preferential treatment. I would say your assumption is wrong, but if you're trying to prove something else then I apologise for the long-ass reply

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:54 pm 

MistaVega23 wrote:
F1yer wrote:

You are funny

Minds are like parachutes, they work best when they are open

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:57 pm 

SwSpeed wrote:
MistaVega23 wrote:
F1yer wrote:

You are funny

Indeed very very funny and bitter too

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:38 pm 

For the sponsorship thing, Lotus probably have the 'funnest' pairing on the grid: Kimi with his coolcat attitude, and Grosjean having a bit of raw speed and clocking a few incidents over the season.

I'm assuming Coca Cola want to market their Burn drink towards the 15-30 age range, and the 'edginess' which the Lotus drivers have will definitely be great for creating an associated image with the drink. "Young, fast and wild", etc. With all this talk about the associated media aswell, I can kind of imagine they want to build the concept of a 'team' to support with Lotus.

Maybe they're actually looking at fronting a team themselves, seeing the success of RedBull's endeavours.

Going back to Kimi. He's a huge asset for a team. He can race, and he can bring in fans. There's no doubt he played a factor in the Burn-Lotus deal.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:39 pm 

F1nsider wrote:

I didn't really want to stoop to his level, but I think China alone can cover my statement. And Coca-Cola have recently approved a budget of 5-7 billion investments in China alone. Or that was Pepsi? I need to check

Asia loves Kimi more than any other driver. I hope we have some far-east members here who can confirm what I just said

There you go, saw it before and dig it up, from 1:00 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKLPFPnmGas
apparently Kimi = huge market in China, so smart move by Coca Cola if they are aiming China.

With Kimi onboard you can certainly expect things, because he can help a team hugely. Having said that, i think the Enstone team all did great this year, turning last year's car into a fast car. And like Kimi said himself, everything evolves around a fast car. So let's just hope they can mount a more successful campaign next year now that they know what to expect from each other. Kimi and Lotus just such a perfect match, and I love to see them doing well!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:49 pm 

Yes yes yes yes, here in Asia, we love Kimi! :thumbup: :]

#7 Kimi Raikkonen

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:23 pm 

nectar wrote:
F1nsider wrote:

There you go, saw it before and dig it up, from 1:00 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKLPFPnmGas
apparently Kimi = huge market in China, so smart move by Coca Cola if they are aiming China.

With Kimi onboard you can certainly expect things, because he can help a team hugely. Having said that, i think the Enstone team all did great this year, turning last year's car into a fast car. And like Kimi said himself, everything evolves around a fast car. So let's just hope they can mount a more successful campaign next year now that they know what to expect from each other. Kimi and Lotus just such a perfect match, and I love to see them doing well!

I also remember seeing in one of the races (Japan IIRC) a stand full of Lotus wearing fans. I'm sure they are not Gros fans :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:53 pm 

Where they wearing just a lotus?

That wouldve been a treat to sit near them :D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:16 pm 

keenf1fan wrote:
Where they wearing just a lotus?

That wouldve been a treat to sit near them :D

It was a fantastic sight, almost everyone in that stand was wearing a Lotus hat.. I wish I could remember which race but it was one of the far-east ones. China, Japan or Korea

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:19 pm 

Often this season I've wondered how his season would've gone had he joined Williams instead of Lotus...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:25 pm 

Kimi could have had a chance to sign with McLaren but maybe that team wants something more in 2014.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:34 pm 

Covalent wrote:
Often this season I've wondered how his season would've gone had he joined Williams instead of Lotus...

Probably the same.. The Williams is not a very bad car too, and with Kimi leading the team they might have probably developed it more efficiently