planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:07 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:37 pm 

Sorry if this has been posted in the official Kubica thread but all I could find was a link to a video that didn't work.

All I can say is....cojones! 8O
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6imD6_ppMjk&feature=plcp

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:41 pm 

He is crazy to drive in those dangerous rallies again... I would go circuits if i were him... much safer. If its not in F1, in a series like for example DTM...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:59 pm 

He says he cant drive a single seater yet because limitations of his arm etc

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:00 pm 

+1 on Above, it's like he's asking for a death wish considering the amount of crashes he's had, sure he likes doing it but he's chosen rallying over his F1 career.

If he really wants to get back into F1 he has to go to circuits and do some lower formula stuff or touring. He can clearly drive a touring car so he should be focusing on that in a circuit, all it takes is one crash again and that's him doomed yet again, only a slim chance to get back into F1 and he's already taking the wrong steps about it with rallying.

Each to their own yes as he loves rally, but rallying has ruined his F1 career, and if he wants to get back there he cant be taking risk again at these events which very nearly killed him not to long ago.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:15 pm 

From todays shakedown

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr3FNfNo_QA

Fingers crossed for good result in Rallye Du Var

Edit.
And some more footage from last week http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVCJpHqfSxo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:30 pm 

Be a complete waste if he does not come back to F1.

Watching the 2010 Season Review the other day, he was pretty good. Would love to see him go back to Lotus./Renault.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:47 pm 

I felt this kid could have won a World Championship given the right car. Was really looking forward to the 2011 season and what he could do. It's a real shame that he can no longer drive single seater's as would have been nice to see him back in a Formula 1 car.Whatever he does now i will back him all the way, weather it's rallying, Touring cars or anything. Im just really gutted for the guy, he was a top driver and i will always remember him for his lap around Monaco in 2010. He was one of my favourite drivers in 2010 if not my favourite.

Just wish all the best for him now.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:07 pm 

UBeenFrimponged wrote:
I felt this kid could have won a World Championship given the right car. Was really looking forward to the 2011 season and what he could do. It's a real shame that he can no longer drive single seater's as would have been nice to see him back in a Formula 1 car.Whatever he does now i will back him all the way, weather it's rallying, Touring cars or anything. Im just really gutted for the guy, he was a top driver and i will always remember him for his lap around Monaco in 2010. He was one of my favourite drivers in 2010 if not my favourite.

Just wish all the best for him now.

Do not be surprised if Robert will become a racing champion of the world...

shakedown rallye du Var - today
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr3FNfNo_QA

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:08 pm 

What make him able to drive a rally car but not an F1 car?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:17 pm 

travanx wrote:

mobility of his right hand

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:33 pm 

1. The guy can do what he wants. If he wants to choose Rallying over other kinds of racing then he can. Lauda was nearly killed in F1 but people didn't question his return for example. They championed it. We should do the same with Robert, he's doing something he loves against the odds.

2. He won't be back in F1 now. He still downt have enough mobility in his hand to drive a single seater, another reason he's chosen Rallying, nearly two years after the accident. He probably never will regain that mobility again fully in time now.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:41 pm 

Would love to see a Kimi-Kubica link up at Lotus even though I actually rate Grosjean

Can't see Robert ever being the same even if he does come back to F1 :(

2013: 12th
2014: 38th

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:43 pm 

globi wrote:
travanx wrote:

I thought it was arm rather than hand. I could be mistaken.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:24 am 

As said each to their own, just a big waste of talent wasting away in rallying, I hate to see talent wasted. He needs to get on the circuits in touring cars build up from there.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:26 am 

F1Thomas wrote:
As said each to their own, just a big waste of talent wasting away in rallying, I hate to see talent wasted. He needs to get on the circuits in touring cars build up from there.

He doesn't need to do anything. He loves Rallying, so he's going Rallying. He's also pretty bloody good at it so I'd hardly call it wasted talent. For all we know he has no interest in something like the DTM. For Kubica it may be F1 or nothing in terms of track racing and since he can't physically do it he'd rather do something else he's just as passionate about. But he isn't wasting his talent Rallying, if anything Rallying is the harder discipline.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:29 am 

F1Thomas wrote:

"Mat Coch writes:Former Formula One star Robert Kubica could be a future WRC star after winning the Rally di Como last weekend.

The Pole crashed heavily while competing in a rally at the beginning of 2011, his injuries ruling him out of Formula One ever since. At first it was thought his injuries, although serious, would only rule him out of competition short term however, as time has passed a return to the sport has looked less and less likely.

In September, Kubica claimed that he was still focussed on a Formula One return. He took part in the Ronde Gomitolo di Lana rally, an event he won, claiming it was the next stage in his rehabilitation. It prompted suggestions he could soon make a Formula One return, an idea put on ice when it was revealed the former Grand Prix winner still has insufficient movement in his arm to race a single seater.

"I have a big limitation of my arm which doesn't allow me to test single seaters," he said ahead of the Rally di Como last week, an event he went on to win.

The performance has prompted Benoit Nogier, Kimi Raikkonen's team boss during the Finn's stint in the WRC, to suggest Kubica could have a successful a career in rallying. "Of course the level will be higher than in Italy with people like Freddy Loix competing, but from what we saw last weekend Robert can win for sure," Nogier told WRC.com.

"The way he works and how he analyses the situation is very impressive. He is still inexperienced in rallying but his technical feedback is very good and he is doing all the right things.

Nogier believes Kubica could be more successful in rallying than Raikkonen because he is taking time, whereas Raikkonen jumped in at the deep end with very little experience.

"He is learning step-by-step and if he continues to do more rallies then his experience will improve and so will he," Nogier explained. "It's very difficult when a driver starts to know what step they will be able to reach but from what we know so far we cannot see any reason why he cannot improve and take more steps. But he needs more time in the car to do this."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:30 am 

He'll be back in F1 after while. Till then, Go Kubica Go!!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:43 am 

Kubica is still only 27. If he is already rallying then hopefully in another year or to his arm can heal fully to get back into F1.

Maybe he needs another operation to restore the final movement in his arm. Maybe he just needs a bit more time. Maybe a doctor here can clarify if the arm can heal further.
If it can heal even in 1-3 years time Kubica can still return to F1 even at age 30 or even older.
Even in 5 years he will be 32 which is till a good age to come back. Maybe new stem cell technologies are on the horizon which can heal the arm. So many possibilities the future holds.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:43 am 

dizlexik wrote:
globi wrote:
travanx wrote:

Any ideas what on the F1 car specifically he wouldn't be able to do compared to a rally car? I am having a hard time understanding how he could drive a rally car like that and still be so injured that he can't do something in particular on an F1 car.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:52 am 

travanx wrote:
dizlexik wrote:
globi wrote:
travanx wrote:

Any ideas what on the F1 car specifically he wouldn't be able to do compared to a rally car? I am having a hard time understanding how he could drive a rally car like that and still be so injured that he can't do something in particular on an F1 car.

Hard to believe it but he drives rally cars using only the left hand
sequential gear changes on the left side - still left hand
Hand brake runs only his right hand (a button instead of lever)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:50 am 

globi wrote:
travanx wrote:
dizlexik wrote:
globi wrote:
travanx wrote:

I'd love to see an on-board of that. Coming out of an F1 accident is totally different compared to coming out of a rally accident. This man really deserves a lot of respect for what he has achieved.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:08 am 

It is easy for fans to say that he should drive on tracks but, the guy is clearly doing what he wants and I see him another guy like Kimi who loves to do what he likes and is more of a racer than anything else...Here wishing a lot of success in Rally as well//

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:09 am 

travanx wrote:
dizlexik wrote:
globi wrote:
travanx wrote:

I believe it's either that he cannot bend his arm enough (IE it's stuck like a chicken wing) OR if he can straighten it, he doesn't have enough strength to be able to steer an F1 car...

:D :D :D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:21 am 

...so, who does say that?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:46 am 

Gothalamide wrote:
travanx wrote:
dizlexik wrote:
globi wrote:
travanx wrote:

I believe it's either that he cannot bend his arm enough (IE it's stuck like a chicken wing) OR if he can straighten it, he doesn't have enough strength to be able to steer an F1 car...

:D :D :D

That is correct. Kubica can not bend/twist his arm and wrist easily. In "closed" cars like WRC he can have his right elbow turned left under lower degree. In F1 car(and single seaters in general) there is not enough room for the elbow to bend/turn it. In F1 you turn the wheel with your arms almost straight - doing it mostly with your arm/wrist. He needs space for the elbow.

But I am sure he will make it. I believe in second part of 2013 he could start some testing for F1. And I do not think rallying is waste or bad idea. He collects a lot of experience and driving skills in different environment. That will benefit him.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:57 am 

sennafan24 wrote:
Be a complete waste if he does not come back to F1.

Watching the 2010 Season Review the other day, he was pretty good. Would love to see him go back to Lotus./Renault.

2010 Season Review
http://io.ua/vff7d9c0dd84eff24a07bd52f9339306a

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:10 pm 

Just watched interview with Rob before Du Var.
He said he expects that Fredy Loix will be on different level since he has much more experience and lives there (so he knows those roads very well).
He still doesnt know where he will be driving next year but he hopes everything will be clear by x-mas.
In other interview he said that for sure it wont be WRC as he lacks experience. He also dont see himself in WTCC.
It seems that it might be between ERC and DTM. Or perhaps Le Mans.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:07 pm 

MaGiK wrote:
Just watched interview with Rob before Du Var.
He said he expects that Fredy Loix will be on different level since he has much more experience and lives there (so he knows those roads very well).

Oh that Kubica! I love how he downplays his chances and whines...just to skyrocket. He is leading rally! :)

Last edited by DeeSee2 on Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:39 pm 

Shame I've only started getting back into races recently as I've missed a lot of Kubica on the track.

I hope he makes it back. The kind of racer I want to get behind and support.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:07 pm 

Laura23 is spot on - it's Robert's right to do whatever he want's. And it's not like there's a bigger chance of something going wrong because he had that accident.

Also, Robert said that rallying is better for his rehabilitation process because it's less predictable. He said that after watching in car videos he was surprised with what he was capable to do with his damaged hand/arm. I think it's a very important thing, on many different levels. He explained that driving on a track is much more repetitive, there's less fighting with the car etc.

dizlexik wrote:
globi wrote:
travanx wrote:

Elbow is probably the biggest problem. Twisting movements IIRC.

globi wrote:

He was driving the Clio with a manual sequential gearbox and a hydraulic handbrake - both on the right side. He was the zero car, but people on site reported that he was doing better times than people in faster cars.. Perhaps it's not that bad as far as the limits are concerned, perhaps as far as rallying is concerned endurance and precision are the bigger issues. Both can be improved with rehabilitation.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:43 pm 

Dr Prozac I agree completely. :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:21 pm 

Dr Prozac wrote:
Laura23 is spot on - it's Robert's right to do whatever he want's. And it's not like there's a bigger chance of something going wrong because he had that accident.

Also, Robert said that rallying is better for his rehabilitation process because it's less predictable. He said that after watching in car videos he was surprised with what he was capable to do with his damaged hand/arm. I think it's a very important thing, on many different levels. He explained that driving on a track is much more repetitive, there's less fighting with the car etc.

dizlexik wrote:
globi wrote:
travanx wrote:

Elbow is probably the biggest problem. Twisting movements IIRC.

globi wrote:

He was driving the Clio with a manual sequential gearbox and a hydraulic handbrake - both on the right side. He was the zero car, but people on site reported that he was doing better times than people in faster cars.. Perhaps it's not that bad as far as the limits are concerned, perhaps as far as rallying is concerned endurance and precision are the bigger issues. Both can be improved with rehabilitation.

Check this site - are some new Robert's photos

http://www.forum-rallye.com/index.php/t ... __st__2430

Like previous said:
he drives rally cars using only the left hand
sequential gear changes on the left side(paddles) - still left hand
Hand brake only his right hand (a button instead of lever - Switch comes with a right hand sleeve)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:27 pm 

globi wrote:

Like previous said:
Hand brake only his right hand (a button instead of lever - Switch comes with a right hand sleeve)

I would very much doubt he would be allowed to rally with only one hand to hold the wheel and change gear.

For very obvious reasons.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:37 pm 

Johnston wrote:
globi wrote:

Like previous said:

I would very much doubt he would be allowed to rally with only one hand to hold the wheel and change gear.

For very obvious reasons.

Nevermind in FIA sanctioned events they would not allow him.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:41 pm 

IIRC too your not allowed brakes to have anything electrical either, so I can't grasp how a "Button" could do as a handbrake.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:46 pm 

Johnston wrote:
IIRC too your not allowed brakes to have anything electrical either, so I can't grasp how a "Button" could do as a handbrake.

Just look at this pict.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-5ChZ2lJuX1M/U ... var14.jpeg

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:47 pm 

globi wrote:
Johnston wrote:

Just look at this pict.

what about it?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:48 pm 

So your basing these assumptions on just a picture?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:50 pm 

Johnston wrote:
globi wrote:
Johnston wrote:

Just look at this pict.

what about it?

you can see the switch in the right hands

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:52 pm 

globi wrote:
Johnston wrote:
globi wrote:
Johnston wrote:

Just look at this pict.

what about it?

you can see the switch in the right hands

So that's just a guess then? Any official statement anywhere? Those in his right hand are headphones.