planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:11 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Magic Button!!!!!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:13 pm 

I believe this now falls within the updated forum rules for official/unofficial threads, and a tip of the hat to the long lost alias (In fact I might did out his email and drop him a note) and the many, many posts that made this one of the biggest and best threads in PF-1 history, certainly sonce I joined many years ago.

The thread that discusses and has the most up to date information on the 2009 World Champion, Jenson Button.

And to kick us off, http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/new ... year-for...

Post subject: Re: Magic Button!!!!!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:03 am 

Button 10/1 for the WDC and 13/2 for the Australian GP.

That's best case odds, bookies playing safe obviously to cover off e/w but 13/2 is tasty for the win in the opening race.

Button takes over the driving tomorrow in the final test. It's getting close now...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:34 am 

C'mon JB!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:11 am 

Encouraging from Wurz...

http://www.f1zone.net/news/wurz-red-bul ... 012/12612/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:55 am 

I think it's hilarious that there is so much praise for Hamilton and his raw speed. He reminds me of Massa but only younger from a mental point of view. He should be happy and consider himself lucky that he has a class act like Button to help him mature and grow. And another point, Button is not slow, and he knows how to drive in a more "fluid" manner, thus minimizing tire degradation. The two of them get along great and I really think in the end this team will do well. Why am I comparing the two in a Button thread? Because I want to give Button all the props he deserves. 2011 was no fluke as we shall see in 2012. I see him winning the WDC, not because he is going to win every race-but because he will be consistent and be on the podium for most.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:59 pm 

Good to see the Magic Button thread here already!

Come on JB lets follow on from the second half of last season :nod:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:03 pm 

I agree that Button's racecraft is better than Lewis's, but I still believe that Lewis will mellow with age, and he is just suffering from hot-headedness and rashness, much like his idol, I guess.

Button at 13-2 is quite appealing, but I fancy Seb until the first weekend proves otherwise.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:25 am 

Button in the cockpit today for the third and final test before the Australian GP!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:47 am 

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/ma ... mclaren-f1

Some snippets from the main article link above. I've NEVER known Jenson so confident since he came to F1 in 2000.

"We don't need more bits. We've got it all on the car already. I'm a lot happier with everything compared with last year. We're not running round scratching our heads wondering what we'd done wrong.

"Last year we had problems with the exhaust. We also had the problem that we just weren't very fast, even when the exhaust did work. Maybe that was kept secret. But we just weren't very fast."

"We've had a good winter in terms of reliability, most of the time, apart from Saturday. And I feel we are making good progress with the car. There's nothing I'm afraid of with the balance of the car. It listens to changes, which is really important with a motor car."

On Red Bull...

"It's great that they've brought a big upgrade because it takes everyone's attention off our car.

"They seem to have a very different rear-end system than they had before. But just having different pieces of bodywork doesn't mean it's a massive chunk of laptime. They'll be quick but we don't know how quick."

On Ferrari...

"I'm sure Ferrari can find their way out of a sticky situation – if they're in a sticky situation. I don't really know where they are in terms of pace.

"We're all trying new things at the start of the year. One of us will get it right and I'm sure the others will follow suit in the end. They're obviously on the back foot but I'm sure they'll catch up. They have the resources, they have the expertise and they really want and need a good season in 2012."

8O :nod:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:14 am 

Those are awesome quotes from Jenson...He really sounds positive and raring to go for the new season. Bring on the 2nd WDC! 8)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:44 pm 

LithoBlitho wrote:
Those are awesome quotes from Jenson...He really sounds positive and raring to go for the new season. Bring on the 2nd WDC! 8)

I really think this could be a better year for Jenson, that would mean WDC. He had two DNFs last year which did not help and came on strong in the second half of the season.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:54 pm 

F1otherness wrote:
LithoBlitho wrote:

I really think this could be a better year for Jenson, that would mean WDC. He had two DNFs last year which did not help and came on strong in the second half of the season.

Yeah the front right screw up by the pit crew at Britain denied him a very good shot at his first podium at GB, 4/5 was attainable at Germany before hydraulics got him, and let's not forget McLaren buggered up their strategy for an easy win at Monaco (although he did finish that race)

He has all the tools to take the WDC this year, and I personally think he will.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:02 pm 

petef1 wrote:
F1otherness wrote:
LithoBlitho wrote:

Yeah the front right screw up by the pit crew at Britain denied him a very good shot at his first podium at GB, 4/5 was attainable at Germany before hydraulics got him, and let's not forget McLaren buggered up their strategy for an easy win at Monaco (although he did finish that race)

He has all the tools to take the WDC this year, and I personally think he will.

I forgot about Monaco...I wish Vettel hadn't been allowed to change his tires. It was amazing though how the top three got through that mess...as it was happening...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:03 am 

http://zeenews.india.com/sports/motorsp ... 38806.html

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:36 am 

Christian Horner was on BBC 5 Live this morning, I only caught the last couple of minutes, but he tipped Jenson as the main rival to Seb. The presenters were only interested in suggesting Lewis, and seemed very surprised when Horner said JB. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:39 am 

LithoBlitho wrote:
Christian Horner was on BBC 5 Live this morning, I only caught the last couple of minutes, but he tipped Jenson as the main rival to Seb. The presenters were only interested in suggesting Lewis, and seemed very surprised when Horner said JB. :lol:

Brilliant. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:02 am 

Article is up on the BBC Sport website - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/17284142

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:36 am 

F1otherness wrote:
I think it's hilarious that there is so much praise for Hamilton and his raw speed. He reminds me of Massa.

Because Lewis didnt manage to win a single race or get on the podium and get "Pwned" by his team.

Oh wait..............

I think its hilarious that people like you still have issues regarding Lewis.

Ask your self one thing, if Lewis managed to beat JB this year would it surprise you? As a LH and JB fan I can honestly say no.

On raw speed Lewis is most of the time faster, he proved that in Qualifying.

Just remember Lewis beat Alonso in his first season in the same car, Alonso has thrashed Massa in the same car, so not only is Lewis over rated but so is Alonso and Massa even worse?

Comments that people like you make; cause me to wonder if you have only watched F1 for one season and have short term memories.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:16 pm 

I actually get the feeling Horner wouldn't mind sticking Jenson in the 2nd Red Bull if the chance arose. He and Red Bull tried their damnedest to mentally unsettle him during the 2009 season without it working. Otherwise we would be talking about triple world champion Vettel.

And top marks to pete for resurrecting a much loved thread :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:15 pm 

I wouldn't be surprised if Horner were using such comments as pre-season psyche against Lewis and Alonso!
On the other hand maybe he simply believes that consistency is required for Seb to be beaten? and JB is pretty consistent. Personally, unless he starts to beat Lewis in quali regularly, and be at the very front of the grid, I don't see him becoming a major threat this season - but then again, if it's all very close between four or five of them - consistency/regularity may just be enough!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:28 pm 

thecoalman wrote:

And top marks to pete for resurrecting a much loved thread :)

:lol: 8)

Thanks.

It's been a long time coming, shame alias and IronMaiden are here to bask in it's regenerated glory.

This thread is history I tell thee!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:35 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Umxybl0mECQ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:00 pm 

petef1 wrote:

so, just to recap. That`s against MSC in one of if not the most dominant cars in recent F1 history.

8) :-P

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:39 am 

fuelscoops wrote:
petef1 wrote:

so, just to recap. That`s against MSC in one of if not the most dominant cars in recent F1 history.

Hear that Honda V10 roar!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:46 am 

petef1 wrote:

I never got tired of hearing the V10s, can't say the same for the current lot, they sound like vacuum cleaners in comparison on TV, though if you ever see them trackside you'll severely regret attending if you forget ear protection.

Beautiful lap, wonderful control over the kerbs. His 2006 lap was pretty good as well.

The underlying thing about all this,no matter how bright you are,no matter how logical one is or how much money one has,you have to be a completely stupid optimist...I believe there are about 3 million competition licences worldwide. -Perry McCarthy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:14 pm 

fuelscoops wrote:
petef1 wrote:

As a further recap...

Button starts P2 behind Ralf Schumacher.

Ralf Schumacher (by over a second!), Jarno Trulli, Fernando Alonso and Montoya all out qualify Michael Schumacher who starts 6th in one of the most dominant cars in F1 history.

The bridgestone was not good in qualying, Michael 'only' had 8 poles (13 wins) that year in 17 races.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:31 pm 

Maiden pole position, Imola 2004

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAY79nbRzHU

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:24 pm 

lamo wrote:
fuelscoops wrote:
petef1 wrote:

As a further recap...

Button starts P2 behind Ralf Schumacher.

Ralf Schumacher (by over a second!), Jarno Trulli, Fernando Alonso and Montoya all out qualify Michael Schumacher who starts 6th in one of the most dominant cars in F1 history.

The bridgestone was not good in qualying, Michael 'only' had 8 poles (13 wins) that year in 17 races.

:lol: Oh yeah Q2. i didn`t spot that. As i can`t remember the race i assumed it was for pole.
nice lap though.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:47 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz-A15j04_g

Figured most in this thread would've seen the video, but if not...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:59 pm 

benmc wrote:

The thing that amazes me with Jenson's overtaking is that he's still so calm. He just has that sixth sense as to when to make the move to make it stick or not bother.

Brilliant vid.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:14 pm 

petef1 wrote:
benmc wrote:

The thing that amazes me with Jenson's overtaking is that he's still so calm. He just has that sixth sense as to when to make the move to make it stick or not bother.

Brilliant vid.

What strikes me with Jenson is he always seems to be aware of where he is in the race and what he needs to do to get the maximum possible result. You see that even when he is going wheel-to-wheel.

When the stakes are high and he needs to make a pass, like he did on several occasions in the '09 title season, he usually seems to get it done. He seems to know when he's so much faster than another driver and if he doesn't like the way a particular driver is defending (i.e Kobayashi in Brazil '09) then he'll just be patient in the knowledge that he'll get another chance. But when he needs to be he can be ruthless, like in Spain last year when he passed Webber and Alonso in the same lap. I really wish there was an onboard of that lap.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:46 pm 

Pole at Albert Park, Melbourne on 2006 in the RA106.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCVSc1L6EUs

We'll get a few more of these in before FP1 Friday week.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:36 pm 

Don't take this the wrong way, but what is with all the Pre Season Button threads this year? Last year Button fans pre season seemed to be lurking.

Podiums: 5
2014 Championship Standing: *mumble*

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:39 am 

specdecible wrote:
Don't take this the wrong way, but what is with all the Pre Season Button threads this year? Last year Button fans pre season seemed to be lurking.

Dunno. This is the original official Button thread that goes back years. It was forced to be called "The Official Jenson Button thread" by the change of forum policies in the old forum.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:38 pm 

Next up with have Jenson's devastating lap at Monaco in the BGP01. Kimi was ON IT that session and JB put in an absolute stormer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZqhDcTERRw

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:45 pm 

Jenson Button says blown differsr ban means less mystery in downforce chase

From Autosport

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97990

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:50 am 

Pete!! Long time no login.. How's tricks? Nice piece of homage to the old days :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:53 am 

alias wrote:
Pete!! Long time no login.. How's tricks? Nice piece of homage to the old days :thumbup:

Hello buddy!! I've been meaning to dig our your email. How the hell are you? You going to Silverstone this year?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:58 am 

petef1 wrote:
alias wrote:

Hello buddy!! I've been meaning to dig our your email. How the hell are you? You going to Silverstone this year?

I hope to Pete, didn't go last year due to several major reasons, its always the plan though! what happened here?? It looks like a new start??

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:03 am 

alias wrote:
petef1 wrote:
alias wrote:

I hope to Pete, didn't go last year due to several major reasons, its always the plan though! what happened here?? It looks like a new start??

Yeah major upgrade the week before last, it's good. We lost all the old threads and post count, but apart from that, a change is as good as a rest as they say.

They've relaxed the rules hence why we can have this thread back again, and all in all, we all seem to be getting on with each other most of the time! :lol:

Well I hope all is OK you. And welcome back!