All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Magic Button!!!!!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:12 pm 

Plenty of new faces and one or two old ones in here :smug:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:37 pm 

the1englishman wrote:
Plenty of new faces and one or two old ones in here :smug:

There's a few old faces that'll always be welcome here :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:42 pm 

"Jenson Button is the man Sebastian Vettel should fear"

Nice blog from Paul Weaver of the Guardian

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/20 ... sfeed=true

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:18 pm 

Lots of very good write ups for Jenson knocking around at the moment - and rightly so.
Here's a good article from Autosport if you've a Plus subscription ' Is Button set to make McLaren fly?'
http://plus.autosport.com/premium/feature/4273/is-button-set-to-make-mclaren-fly/

Quote:
Despite Button being, in Whitmarsh's words, "a super-nice guy comfortable in his own skin", the determination he has shown in some races over these past two years has made many of those who underestimated Jenson think again. But there are still some who don't get him.

Only last year, I was commissioned to write a piece contrasting the flamboyant, aggressive, overtaking superstar Hamilton with his team-mate, who is not as spectacular and apparently cannot overtake.

"No," I said, "I'm not going to do that, because it ain't so." Button, I told him, was one of the best overtakers on the grid.

It set me wondering why, perhaps, people don't see it.

The point about Button is, how many times do you see him make a daft error or take someone off the road?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:23 pm 

Interesting Guardian article. I hadn't heard about the Moss comments before, but they more or less reflect what I came to think during the course of the last two years; that Button is quite possibly the best driver in F1 at the moment. And I enjoy his racing more and more.

Maria de Villota

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:49 pm 

Im loving all the write ups on Jens at the mo :smug: about time too.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:55 pm 

petef1 wrote:
I believe this now falls within the updated forum rules for official/unofficial threads, and a tip of the hat to the long lost alias (In fact I might did out his email and drop him a note) and the many, many posts that made this one of the biggest and best threads in PF-1 history, certainly sonce I joined many years ago.

The thread that discusses and has the most up to date information on the 2009 World Champion, Jenson Button.

And to kick us off, http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/new ... year-for...

Woo-hoo! :]

Now, let's see if he can't pull one out of the hat for 2012... 8O

You see? You see what I did there? :o

#3 The Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:04 pm 

Guia wrote:
petef1 wrote:
I believe this now falls within the updated forum rules for official/unofficial threads, and a tip of the hat to the long lost alias (In fact I might did out his email and drop him a note) and the many, many posts that made this one of the biggest and best threads in PF-1 history, certainly sonce I joined many years ago.

The thread that discusses and has the most up to date information on the 2009 World Champion, Jenson Button.

And to kick us off, http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/new ... year-for...

Woo-hoo! :]

Now, let's see if he can't pull one out of the hat for 2012... 8O

You see? You see what I did there? :o

You just can't buy that! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:18 pm 

Fiki wrote:
Interesting Guardian article. I hadn't heard about the Moss comments before, but they more or less reflect what I came to think during the course of the last two years; that Button is quite possibly the best driver in F1 at the moment. And I enjoy his racing more and more.

:thumbup:
I get a huge sense of satisfaction watching Button race. He hardly seems to put a foot wrong on Sundays and is getting better and better in qualification - although I'm not sure whether I want him to be too high up on the grid! It's been great watching him chasing the opposition down each week! (I won't be too upset though :-P )

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:00 am 

Oh that felt good!! :lol: :nod: :D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:23 am 

That was possibly the most complete drive of Button's career, like a good claret he appears to be getting better and better with age

Is he the only driver on the grid who knows how to drive only just fast enough to win?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:28 am 

Fat Albert wrote:
That was possibly the most complete drive of Button's career, like a good claret he appears to be getting better and better with age

Is he the only driver on the grid who knows how to drive only just fast enough to win?

He just can read a race like no one else it seems. Again this bullsh1t fallacy that he's not quick, he's plenty quick when he needs to be and he bangs in the times the team need him to do when we're in the tyre and/or fuel management zone.

Today was the clearest message of all to ALL of his critics, write Button off at your peril. He beat Hamilton in DRY conditions, starting behind him, in equal machinery.

I hope all Button fans enjoy this and here's to a competitive 2012!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:11 am 

Perfect way to start the season!
Keep it up JB!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:28 am 

Fantastic!
Can't be many Jenson doubters left now surely???

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:30 am 

First corner, one pass. Never looked back. :thumbup:

Epic drive by Jenson especially at the end when it looked like Vettel might rope him in and then gives him a "nice try mate".

This could be the season that shuts up all those 2009 nay sayers about his "lucky" title.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:04 am 

I think his title in 2009 _was_ lucky. He almost couldn't hold it together towards the end of the season when the Braun lost it's advantage of raw pace, and the stress and strain were very visible.

He is now a MUCH better driver, and much stronger mentally I believe. He had had too many losing seasons at mid-range teams, and it began to eat away at his self-confidence prior to 2009. But winning the WDC, and then being picked up by McLaren was exactly what he needed to develop further. Especially coming in as a projected "#2 driver" by many, with less pressure and time to develop and settle into the car and team.

Cannot predict the future, but a WDC is a possibility this year too. The new tires seem to suit his style, and as I've said elsewhere the new "unlapping under Safety Car" will result in restarts with colder, slicker tires, much like driving in the wet - we saw that today in the restart, where JB just drove away from cars that then proceeded to match his pace two laps later. In any event, it appears that McLaren knew what they were doing when they hired him after all...remember that some people doubted that choice just two years ago?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:15 am 

Fat Albert wrote:

I'm not sure if you managed to catch a glimpse of a little known driver called Sebastian Vettel in 2011.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:24 pm 

It appears that Fernando is not convinced by Button’s ‘Magic’.

"Today we salvaged a lot more points than we expected. We only lost three or five to the favourites and a few more to Button, but maybe there will not be a clear dominator like last year and maybe no one will open such a big gap as Vettel did in 2011."

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:50 pm 

A great race by Button today, as Vettel said he was unbeatable today.

Now keep it coming and pick up a second title.

8)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:13 pm 

I do love the fly-aways, you can have the race in the morning and still have all day Sunday to do what you want to do; and I've had today's Mother's day to reflect on the opening race.

I have to admit, after JB's first run in Q3 and Lewis' first storming time which ended up being pole, alarms bells started ringing about qualifying again. It was massively satisfying to see JB get within a tenth of Lewis on low fuel.

The way he handled and controlled the race was first class, and his escape from Vettel when the SC exited the track oozed the class, speed and composure of a WDC.

Excited about Malaysia, a circuit he goes very well on and one of his favourites, but there's a long way to go.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:27 pm 

Hats off to Jenson...very well done. He's the most complete driver on the grid , super smooth, sharp as a tack and very steady.

I'm not a huge Maca fan but I'll give credit where credit is due and he deserves it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:59 pm 

Great race by JB. But Australia isn't representative of car performance just yet. Here's hoping they're as strong in Malaysia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:13 am 

Brilliant, loved that re-start and the 1 sec he pulled after sector 1.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:12 am 

Got to hand it to Jenson, he did a perfect job today.
Hope it bodes well for his whole year.
A season long battle between Jenson and Seb would be legendary
Who says nice guys come last :D

cheers
Coz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:57 am 

He's proving to be a serious find isn't he? Love him, or, hate him, but you can't deny him. :thumbup:

4) Lauda
5) Brabham

if you don't like it, too bad! There's a reason why it says "My Top 5"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:16 am 

kingjamie wrote:

According to the comms. "No one is as good a Vettel on restarts"

"Vettle is catching up 3/10s a lap, he can catch Button"

"Oh, 3 fastest laps from Button"

Silly people, Jensen had total control in that race, didn't he.???

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:28 am 

scouse wrote:
kingjamie wrote:

indeed he is, but the comms are different at ESPN where the commentators said that it was the greatest re-start in years.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:36 am 

Ja'a wrote:
scouse wrote:
kingjamie wrote:

indeed he is, but the comms are different at ESPN where the commentators said that it was the greatest re-start in years.

Yeh, I had Speed network with Bob Varsha, David Hobbs and Steve Matchett. I have a lot of respect for Hobbs and Matchett, good driver and a good engineer. Varsha is the 'mouth' does a decent job and probably has to make it sound close..!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:42 am 

http://adamcooperf1.com/2012/03/19/mart ... ght-place/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:22 pm 

return of the finger....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:31 pm 

Since I don't have Sky I had to wait for what felt like forever to watch the race yesterday... But boy, it was worth the wait!

I kept saying during the off-season that Jenson really seems to have become a complete driver. This perception that he isn't so quick compared to some leading drivers is rubbish - Hamilton is one of the outright fastest drivers out there, and anybody who can get consistently close to him as Button has done recently must be pretty quick. Qualifying may not be one of his biggest strengths, but it certainly isn't the weakness it was back in 2009/10. Add that to the already great race pace and racecraft and you have a driver who is easily as good as anyone out there. I hope and believe he can maintain this form throughout the season.

It should come as no surprise that he can race in the dry. Really, he should have had a win in the dry long before Suzuka last year - He did everything right in Monza 2010 and Monaco 2011 and lost those wins through no fault of his own.

The weirdest thing about this win is that I can't figure out whether Vettel finishing second was a good thing or not - Hamilton may seem like the main title rival given that the McLaren is the quickest car right now, but the Red Bull race pace is very strong and they aren't far away. I'm certain Vettel will be winning consistently in a few races time.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:41 pm 

Button was magic at the weekend! Best drive since canada last year, who can doubt this man now?

And he dads little cry at the end of the race was epic.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:36 am 

Jenson is joint favourite with Lewis, at 9/4 to win the Malaysian GP this weekend.

However, you can get 7/2 on Button for pole.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:23 pm 

I've long been a fan of JB, he became my favourite driver after I met him in 2000 when he visited my local BMW dealership after he signed for Williams.

Since he won the WDC with Brawn and joined McLaren i've always been hoping he could repeat the feat but I felt that he was always an underdog when you consider the fact he was walking into Lewis' team. He did make great strides last year and really proved himself as a irrefutable top driver but the dominance of Vettel and the RB7 was too much for anyone to handle and second best isn't what people will remember you for.

However after seeing his performance last weekend in Australia I realised my feelings had changed, I noticed I was no longer viewing him as some kind of underdog wishing he would do well at a race weekend, instead I see a driver who I believe is top of the field at the moment who doesn't need wishful thinking as he has all the talent needed to convincingly bring home a second WDC this season.

All the best for 2012 JB, I hope the doubters can be silenced once for all come the end of the season.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:43 pm 

Last race just told me what I already knew. Lewis's team-mate now is of such a high quality that, each time he encounters a problem or makes a mistake, he will be punished.

Mistake #1 - his poor start
Mistake #2 - coming out of the pits behind cars on a different strategy
Mistake #3 - Vettel leaping him during the Safety Car

I just wouldn't count out Lewis quite yet. Arguably, none of the above mistakes were his fault (save perhaps the start ...)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:19 pm 

matzy wrote:
Last race just told me what I already knew. Lewis's team-mate now is of such a high quality that, each time he encounters a problem or makes a mistake, he will be punished.

I just wouldn't count out Lewis quite yet. Arguably, none of the above mistakes were his fault (save perhaps the start ...)

No real Button fan is counting Lewis out, that is completely foolish.

But it's quite nice to see the fact that every excuse coming from Hamilton fans last year such as 'head wasn't in the right place', doesn't have a happy bubble; Lewis is quicker in a dry race b0llocks is indeed, bullocks.

No real F1 fan, Button supporting or otherwise can argue with Hamilton's pace, and clear massive ability, but he's in no way invincible, and I think us Button fans found it all enormously satisfying to see Jenson do in the first race of the season, what we all know he can do, in such distinguised company.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:17 pm 

petef1 wrote:
matzy wrote:

No real Button fan is counting Lewis out, that is completely foolish.

But it's quite nice to see the fact that every excuse coming from Hamilton fans last year such as 'head wasn't in the right place', doesn't have a happy bubble; Lewis is quicker in a dry race b0llocks is indeed, bullocks.

No real F1 fan, Button supporting or otherwise can argue with Hamilton's pace, and clear massive ability, but he's in no way invincible, and I think us Button fans found it all enormously satisfying to see Jenson do in the first race of the season, what we all know he can do, in such distinguised company.

It will get unbearable in here if Button has a better start to the season. The new excuses will start coming out the woodwork because Button is definitely not on the same level as Hamilton and there will certainly be a good reason for it.
And anyway, if Button was so good he should have been contending for the WDC years ago - regardless of the cars he was driving, don't you know?
I think I'm going to be sick.....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:38 am 

floydhead wrote:

I know the feeling. There are lots of Hamilton fans who conduct themselves with dignity and are knowledgeable about Formula One, but there is another element that just cannot accept the simple fact that Hamilton can be beat. It has become the rule rather than the exception, that whenever Hamilton does not win that blame is laid elsewhere, be it another driver, the team, the stewards, the tires, and so on and so on. Oh well, this has become regular fare, and for me, is the biggest buzz-kill of this wonderful sport. Sports have all kinds of different flavors of fans, and this is the bitterest of them all.

I'm not a fan of any specific driver, I like them all. I'm of an older generation and I guess that since I have seen too many of my heroes die, I have not allowed myself to be emotionally invested in any driver. I just hope none of the new generation has to experience the trauma and loss when something goes horribly wrong. Every driver who sits in a Formula One car is ultra cool, they are at the peak of their physical and mental abilities, have incredible skill, and each one of them has earned the right to be there.

And right now Button has become an incredible package, a driver that any team would want driving for them. Last year I thought he was soft on starts, but after today, I have to cross that off my list of perceived weaknesses. But what really turned my head is how he somehow managed to have a race pace that Hamilton could not equal. I happen to believe that Hamilton is very smart and capable, and very able to learn and adapt to new circumstances. He knows how to conserve tires, he knows how to drive the track just like Button (it's nice to be able to study your team mate's telemetry) but he somehow just can't replicate it.

Magic hands, magic feet, and a magic mind that is the master of racecraft.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:19 pm 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
floydhead wrote:

I know the feeling. There are lots of Hamilton fans who conduct themselves with dignity and are knowledgeable about Formula One, but there is another element that just cannot accept the simple fact that Hamilton can be beat. It has become the rule rather than the exception, that whenever Hamilton does not win that blame is laid elsewhere, be it another driver, the team, the stewards, the tires, and so on and so on. Oh well, this has become regular fare, and for me, is the biggest buzz-kill of this wonderful sport. Sports have all kinds of different flavors of fans, and this is the bitterest of them all.

I'm not a fan of any specific driver, I like them all. I'm of an older generation and I guess that since I have seen too many of my heroes die, I have not allowed myself to be emotionally invested in any driver. I just hope none of the new generation has to experience the trauma and loss when something goes horribly wrong. Every driver who sits in a Formula One car is ultra cool, they are at the peak of their physical and mental abilities, have incredible skill, and each one of them has earned the right to be there.

And right now Button has become an incredible package, a driver that any team would want driving for them. Last year I thought he was soft on starts, but after today, I have to cross that off my list of perceived weaknesses. But what really turned my head is how he somehow managed to have a race pace that Hamilton could not equal. I happen to believe that Hamilton is very smart and capable, and very able to learn and adapt to new circumstances. He knows how to conserve tires, he knows how to drive the track just like Button (it's nice to be able to study your team mate's telemetry) but he somehow just can't replicate it.

Magic hands, magic feet, and a magic mind that is the master of racecraft.

:thumbup: :nod: all of this.

Champions are made from something they have deep inside of them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have the skill & the will but the will must be stronger than the skill. Muhammad Ali

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:24 pm 

Good to see the living legend that is the Planet F1 'Magic Button!!!!!' thread staying up there on the top tier, and some great contributions by new [to the thread] members.

Let's hope for more positive subjects this weekend.

:thumbup: