planetf1.com

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:39 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:26 pm 

with the momentum now with Mclaren , they seem to have a fairly good car and with next years being a evolution what are the chances that button will probably have the best shot at another wdc. how bad would lewis feel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:30 pm 

Without a doubt, if McLaren deliver he can deliver.

Nico Hulkenburg

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:30 pm 

If they produce a race winning car then yes, if they produce a fast but unreliable car then it gets harder, ala this year (though Button has undoubtedly not been at his best at times this year). He definitely has the ability.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:41 pm 

I see no reason why not. As yet I see no reason to discount Sergio either should McLaren build a race-winner, although I expect Jenson to be the better driver next season.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:46 pm 

Probably not, because McLaren will allow Sergio to take points off of him.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:16 pm 

Webber was allowed to take points off Vettel this season. didn't stop Vettel from winning the title.

Even Massa will be allowed to challenge Alonso next season, if he does it from the word go. Not with 5 races to go and more than 100 points behind.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:19 pm 

Who's got the pop corn ?

Of course he won't he's a mediocre driver and McLaren will be shit without the 8 tenths Lewis brings to the team. Oh and Perez is a bad qualifier and will crash a lot.

(Thats how it goes ain't it? )

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:22 pm 

Not sure, he has won twice in a car that has been capable of 10 wins this year. He has won every race he has been in contention in.
If the cars stayed exactly the same as they have been in the second half of 2012, it would be 2011 all over again. Vettel dominating.

Even in a perfect world and you delete Lewis from the results he would have won 3 races, winning Monza where he was running P2 to Lewis.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:30 pm 

If he gets a car similar to the brawn then why not.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:34 pm 

The mere fact that this question is even being speaks volumes.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:50 pm 

Of course it is possible. Jenson has proven throughout the last few years that he can win and lead a top team with the right equipment.

Then again, it's also possible that Perez could win the WDC next year. The kid has proven he has the pace and should be more consistent than Button in qualifying. If he can combine that pace with the consistency he showed before he signed for McLaren, I think he'll be a serious threat.

I don't doubt Button or Perez anything like as much as I doubt McLaren as a team. Can they keep up car development in the middle of the season, around Valencia/Silverstone where they have struggled the last two years? Can their avoid their constant mistakes and/or unreliability? Can they avoid the disaster they seem to have once every few years like in 2004 and 2009? They have had by far and away the best driver pairing in F1 for the last 3 years and the fact that they haven't been able to deliver a single championship, in particular a WCC, is unforgivable.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:57 pm 

Only if Mclaren can deliver a car that's consistent on setup at different types of tracks throughout the year. A driver like Jenson needs, above all, consistency. He can't wrestle a bad car onto pole, but if you give him a good car he can fight and streak ahead like the best of them.

That's not to say he's a bad driver, he's just a driver that needs a good car beneath him to deliver...which is a different thing.

If Perez beats him of course...pretty much game over I'm afraid.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:14 am 

Johnston wrote:
Who's got the pop corn ?

Of course he won't he's a mediocre driver and McLaren will be shit without the 8 tenths Lewis brings to the team. Oh and Perez is a bad qualifier and will crash a lot.

You've gotten awfully cynical this year, haven't you?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:25 am 

If McLaren produce a stunning car, then yes, he will challenge for the WDC.

If they produce a car as good as this years, then no.

This years car isn't bad by any means, infact it's been very good. Jenson however is too inconsistent, which pains me to say as even as a non-McLaren fan, I really like Button. He's like Webber, on his day he is utterly stunning, however he has too many off days even when in a great car and will end up moaning about tyres, car setup and other things whilst his teammate walks over everyone else.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:55 am 

He seemed to do well on the 2013 tyres in FP, but it is way too early too tell.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:00 am 

Johnston wrote:
Who's got the pop corn ?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA SO FUNNY 100% LOL COMEDY GOLD SO ORIGINAL

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:28 am 

Not, he won't compete for the WDC, he will be up there, maybe fourth, but I honestly believe Perez will beat him next season, so my vote is Perez contending for WDC against Vettel, Alonso and Kimi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:45 am 

The cars dont change much next year . He has struggled alot this year and will struggle alot next. Unless the new car is alot faster and better than the redbull which is unlikely.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:21 am 

I honestly can't think of anything better than Button winning next year... Imagine the forum here... there'll be a lot more LH threads then... oh well! :P

p.s: By the same token, i'd like Massa to spank (nothing homoerotic, or to do with Max, but beat him proper on track) Alonso hard next year...

4) Lauda
5) Brabham

if you don't like it, too bad! There's a reason why it says "My Top 5"

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:51 am 

Being a Mclaren fan, you guys are delusional, Unless he has a massive Car advantage similar to what he had with Brawn, this guy will never win another championship, never. he just does not have IT. 1 pole with Mclaren in 3 years, are you kidding me, especially that now qualifying is so important. Put Massa in that Mclaren he will get poles and win races, and Im no Massa fan...
:-P

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:17 am 

justloveracing wrote:
Being a Mclaren fan, you guys are delusional, Unless he has a massive Car advantage similar to what he had with Brawn, this guy will never win another championship, never. he just does not have IT. 1 pole with Mclaren in 3 years, are you kidding me, especially that now qualifying is so important. Put Massa in that Mclaren he will get poles and win races, and Im no Massa fan...

lol
No he wouldn't

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:37 am 

He did it before, so why not again?

I don't believe Perez will pose any threat

But, mark my words, next year's Ferrari is going to blow everyone away. It's going to be Redbull Vs Ferrari from the first race

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:39 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
If he gets a car similar to the brawn then why not.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I see what you did there

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:39 am 

Of course it's possible. The McLaren should be strong next year and it sounds like the 2013 tyres will probably suit Button more than the 2012 ones did (i.e. wider operating window with higher degredation).

Thinking of the 2013 McLaren is the one thing that slightly concerns me as a Hamilton fan. After Red Bull got back on top in Japan, Korea and India I was content that no matter which car Hamilton was in next year out of the McLaren or Mercedes, Vettel would be untouchable in the 2013 title fight. In that context, Hamilton moving to Mercedes a year before the big regulation changes rather than driving a pointless year in McLaren made complete sense.

Now with McLaren looking strong again there is an element of risk involved. If Button does win the title next season it will be a serious gut punch (not because I dislike Button, just because I'll torture myself with what might have been)

So how likely is it? I think Button's main problem, as others have said, is likely to be grid position. You need to get more than one pole a year to be world champion when you are up against the Vettel-Red Bull package. 2009 - 2013 is the Red Bull era; there is no way they will not be strong next season. Hamilton is regularly a few tenths faster than Button and Vettel still has far more poles than Hamilton does over the last few years; so for Button to start outqualifying Vettel regularly would take a McLaren performance advantage that hasn't been seen on any consistent basis over the last few years.

I think Button's mid season woes this year are unlikely to ever happen again, certainly not to such an extreme degree. I expect the 2011 Button to rematerialise; a fast, consistent driver who brings home big points in races. I'm just not convinced that driver can take the fight to Vettel in the same way the 2012 Hamilton could.

I am pretty confident Button will beat Perez though so if the cars next year are pretty much where they've been since 2010 (Red Bull - McLaren - Ferrari, with McLaren finally matching Red Bull in terms of pace this year but losing out in race operations and reliability) I expect Button to finish second in the WDC to Vettel.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:41 am 

rocks4brains wrote:
Webber was allowed to take points off Vettel this season. didn't stop Vettel from winning the title.

I would so chuckle if Seb bins it today and Alonso gets on the podium (and therefore wins the WDC).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:46 am 

Its possible but unlikely, lets face it he has to get his set up absolutely spot on to get the performance out of the car, he cant manage with almost theres, plus it depends on McLaren , if they can produce a car with better rear traction characteristics then he will storm away

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:17 am 

Is it possible absolutely.....but after 3yrs in Mclaren theres is no evidense that he can fight consistently week in week out to sustain a tittle challenge.

Button main problem apart from being a 2nd tier driver is he lack ambition and fire in the belly,yes he will push a bit to try and beat Lewis.But thats a negative motivation fuel by more by sticking it to Lewis
Button will be happy to finish 19th if it meant Lewis is in 20th,he is the only champion that think 2nd place is a great achievement...go ask KIMI....SO THAT GIVE YOU AN IDEA OF HIS MIND SET

the main challenge for Jenson is can he maintain any kind of hunger to succed beyond beating Lewis,will he give it a go,and as soon as he dont have the best package recoil back into mediocrity ,settling for the odd podium...and proclaim again that 2014 with the changes is his real target

But most importantly you cant discount the The Lewis effect or The LEWIS LEADERSHIP,which constantly pulling Button out of his comfort zone.today was a perfect example of lewis leadership by showing Button once again that there is another second in the car.that then forces Button to levels he otherwise would not go.
iF Lewis was not in that car today ,Button would have been content in 4th place a second off the real potential of the car.
And worst of all he would have been very happy with that,just being among the top runners

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:38 am 

Johnston wrote:
Who's got the pop corn ?

This is how it starts... :thumbdown:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:48 am 

justloveracing wrote:
Being a Mclaren fan, you guys are delusional, Unless he has a massive Car advantage similar to what he had with Brawn, this guy will never win another championship, never. he just does not have IT. 1 pole with Mclaren in 3 years, are you kidding me, especially that now qualifying is so important.

I agree but still its Formula 1. He could do it, but the car needs too be 2 seconds quiker like the Brawn. I just dont see him doing it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:01 am 

He beat Webber and Hamilton last year so lets wait and see.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:05 am 

Samaritan wrote:
Is it possible absolutely.....but after 3yrs in Mclaren theres is no evidense that he can fight consistently week in week out to sustain a tittle challenge.

Button main problem apart from being a 2nd tier driver is he lack ambition and fire in the belly,yes he will push a bit to try and beat Lewis.But thats a negative motivation fuel by more by sticking it to Lewis
Button will be happy to finish 19th if it meant Lewis is in 20th,he is the only champion that think 2nd place is a great achievement...go ask KIMI....SO THAT GIVE YOU AN IDEA OF HIS MIND SET

the main challenge for Jenson is can he maintain any kind of hunger to succed beyond beating Lewis,will he give it a go,and as soon as he dont have the best package recoil back into mediocrity ,settling for the odd podium...and proclaim again that 2014 with the changes is his real target

But most importantly you cant discount the The Lewis effect or The LEWIS LEADERSHIP,which constantly pulling Button out of his comfort zone.today was a perfect example of lewis leadership by showing Button once again that there is another second in the car.that then forces Button to levels he otherwise would not go.
iF Lewis was not in that car today ,Button would have been content in 4th place a second off the real potential of the car.
And worst of all he would have been very happy with that,just being among the top runners

He was always a bit jealous of lewis. Just look at "Like behind Lewis" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1833024/ documentary where he is taking some typical Jb style shots saying he's lucky too have gottten the Mclaren seat. There's always something more than some people are willing too admit. And after watching the documentary it all seems too become more clear too the untrained eye who is blinded by Pr talk.

They seem to have straightened everything out and look pretty comfortable during the press conference and the weigh-in.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:15 am 

Emerson.F wrote:
Samaritan wrote:

He was always a bit jealous of lewis. Just look at "Like behind Lewis" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1833024/ documentary where he is taking some typical Jb style shots saying he's lucky too have gottten the Mclaren seat. There's always something more than some people are willing too admit. And after watching the documentary it all seems too become more clear too the untrained eye who is blinded by Pr talk.

They seem to have straightened everything out and look pretty comfortable during the press conference and the weigh-in.

Yeah thankfully Lewis was team mates with JB back in 2004 when he was qualifying the BAR in front of dominant Ferrari's and in 2009 in the Brawn...

Stop talking nonsense, when JB is comfortable with the car he will push it to the limit. If your theory was right JB would qualify right behind Lewis every race they've been together for

It ain't hating just 'cause it's not love

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:28 am 

Juggles wrote:
So how likely is it? I think Button's main problem, as others have said, is likely to be grid position. You need to get more than one pole a year to be world champion when you are up against the Vettel-Red Bull package.

Totally untrue. 2012 has shown that in F1 today that consistently quick race pace is far more important for a win than getting pole position or a front row start.

And on qualy days Button usually has been within 0.300s of Hamilton's time, which is fairly good.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:04 am 

If provided with fast, reliable race winning car throughout year, 80% of current grid will fight for the title. Not many are really bad enough to just throw away title winning car's potential. Most of them have enough pace to win in really fast cars.
And I rate Button higher than lot of them. Just below the big 3 who are in different league.
So if provided with good top of the pack car, why he or anyone else should not be fighting for championship?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:36 am 

McLaren will have to be much faster over a single lap over Red Bull for that to happen. Assuming RBR and Macca are neck and neck and Button is at the top of his game next year (and doesn't go MIA like he habitually does), he'd still get beat. Reason is that he isn't at the same level as Vettel in Quali, who is supreme over a single lap. If he routinely starts behind Vettel, he'd always come up second best in the races. Vettel is the king of pole to flag and almost untouchable. If, somehow magically, Macca and Jenson can sort McLAren out for quali, then it could be a tight race. Jenson also does pretty well leading at the front.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:46 am 

Why not?

Believe it or not, Jenson *IS* a top driver, totally capable to be in contention for the WDC again.

"Where the hell's Alain?" He'd qualify fourth, make a slow start, and you'd think, "Great, he's ninth or whatever(...)" Then you'd see that he was sixth, fifth, fourth, third, and you'd think, "Oooh, shit!" -- Patrick Head

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:01 am 

I don't see Jenson really inspired to win another WDC, he may be a contender, but I wouldn't bet on him.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:03 am 

Of course it's possible.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:19 am 

Button is a known quantity in F1 and 3yrs Mclaren his best result is a distant 2nd in championship,which in many ways was an anomally,because the Ferrari was woefull,Webber was well below par,and Lewis had his worst year in f1,plus the mercs were also way off pace worst than this year

So the partern is very very clear Button only shines when he has avast car advantage alla Brawn and even then he went Mia for couple races,his early advantage of winning the 1st 5races was so big that he could limp over the line
Look at this year Mclaren has had the best car yet he was the 1st of the top 6 guys to be out of contention.and Mclaren advantage was never big enough to compensate for inconsistency and midiocrity

But because Button knows is average relative to the big boyz he gets lost trying to find a SILVER bullet that will propell to the front,and thats what happened to him this year in his 5race hiatus.Instead of hunkering down and learn from Lewis, he went down some rabbit hole.

you cant mount a tittle challenge that way,you gotta hang in there untill the car comes to you

so in 3yrs he never mount a credible championship challenge,and I see no reason how he is gonna do it now......he is more intrested in being leader than fighting for the championship

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:39 am 

Emerson.F wrote:
Samaritan wrote:

Thread about Button and you ppl still can't stop talking about Lewis. There is an official Lewis thread you know? Lewis has nothing to do with this thread. He will be in a Merc next year. So I'm pretty sure it will all be about Vettel, Alonso, kimi and Button.
So yeah. Button could win the WDC..