Kamui Kobayashi 2%  2%  [ 5 ]
Kimi Raikkonen 4%  4%  [ 9 ]
Other 5%  5%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 235
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:23 pm 

kai_ wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Come on, own up! Who voted Kimi!

I almost voted Raikkonen for sheer amusement factor. That was the funniest thing I've seen in ages, but I also had to give him respect because there was a method to his madness and he just got caught out by the fact there was no exit back onto the circuit.

But my driver of the day was Hamilton. He was beating his teammate both in track position and pace-wise and he was patient when his car wasn't as fast as Hulkenberg's and capitalised when it was faster. He was a totally innocent passenger when Hulkenberg misjudged his opportunity with the backmarkers and got the corner wrong and punted him off. And I am very, very far from a Hamilton supporter.

I personally view Hamilton as the way to a successor for Schumacher. He drives the car like a terrier dragging it's rear legs around to follow the front legs. Eyes on the nose. Very good in the wet too. He was simply unlucky today. This is despite Vettel-Schumi love.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:23 pm 

Pertov - only driver that made his team $10m today

Last edited by nexus on Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:25 pm 

Should have been Hammy but Button takes it. He got the win, he was clean and on top of things.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:28 pm 

Massa.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:47 pm 

metamorphomisk wrote:
This poll just shows that there is someone ready to vote for Kimi no matter what. This was definitely one of Kimi's worse races in this season.

Not my choice by any means, but I don't think it's totally crazy. Best overtake of the day and comedy moment of the day. If you're neutral this may make him stand out.

I think "driver of the day" is could not be synonymous with "performance of the day" for some people.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:04 pm 

Finishing 10th and driving all over the grass a lot of the time? That can't be driver of the day form, tell someone who doesnt see much F1 who happened to see F1 that finishing 10th and being behind Torro Rosso's in a 4th placed championship car is driver of the day..... don't think they would buy it. He also isn't the fastest man in the world, even grosjean matched him in quali this year and look how good grosjean was.... As petrov showed today, the team boobed by letting him and Heidfeld go, they would have both got 2 and 3 in stead of 3 and 9th in the championship.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:05 pm 

I like how you left Hulkenberg in but Hamilton out.

Sense? There's none to be found here!

Driver's of the day for me were Hamilton, Button and Massa.

People voting Vettel as driver of the day has to be a joke. He caused his own accident at the start. Overtook Kamui under yellows. Had places gifted to him. Oh it boggles the mind.

#14 for '14

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:09 pm 

Massa played the wingman like a pro, was fast and did his job to bring it home in 3rd while letting his teammate past. As amazing as Jenson was (and usually is in this case) being safe and fast at the same time, I have to give it to Massa. As for Vettel, he probably deserves it just as much given what he did in the race.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:19 pm 

mcdo wrote:

People voting Vettel as driver of the day has to be a joke. He caused his own accident at the start. Overtook Kamui under yellows. Had places gifted to him. Oh it boggles the mind.

Because Hamilton didn't finish? How's that for sense?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:22 pm 

Jenson Button - didn't involve himself with the championship battle because he didn't need to...and also dealt with the changable conditions with little or no issues, staying out longer on the slick tyres on a wet track.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:25 pm 

I voted for Button. Hulkenburg was going great, until he wiped out Hamilton. Hamilton drove a solid race, but made a mistake by pitting for inters too early, and ended up 40 seconds down before the SC. Button was faultless throughout.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:32 pm 

Button had the cleanest race, faster than his teammate until the safety care changed things around and within a reasonable shout for victory even if the Hulk hadn't done him the favor. If the FI had won, Nico would have been the overwhelming favorite, but he didn't. Massa's my emotional favorite but he really didn't race so much as play John the Baptist to Alonso's Jesus. But the person who really thrived in adversity today was Vettel. I was reminded of the overwhelming tension when Lewis was watching his season disappear in 2007 and come back to him miraculously in 2008, and when Alonso's desperation behind Petrov defined the finale in 2010. Oddly, today had none of that. Once it was clear that the Red Bull wasn't damaged beyond the point of no return, I had no doubt that Vettel would overcome the worst kind of pressure and find the strength to finish where he had to even though he was at the back of the field. And for that he gets my vote.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:13 pm 

Massa has my vote. He did a fantastic job to not only help his teammate, but to get himself on the podium as well this week. He's been a great team player, but I think what got me is his emotions and with Massa being a very emotional driver really stuck to me.

The reason why he was crying is because just think of the adversity he has gone through in the past three years. Especially, this year when everyone wanted his head and he continued to race on. He did a fantastic job to recover and getting on the podium was huge for him. I think the outburst of emotion will translate into next year. I remember back in 2008 after losing the championship going into 2009 he did a fantastic job with the car he had. Remember China being 3rd and then the electrical problem? Monaco? Nurburging?

He's going to be a handful and especially considering it will be his last season at Ferrari.

We ALL love you Schumi! Don't ever give up!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:23 pm 

Button, I think he drove a superb race, was 45 seconds ahead of Lewis before the safety car. Kept his nose clean brought it home.

Petrov second along with Hamilton, who did nothing wrong so I don't see why he can't be DOTD.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:49 pm 

Button was good to stay out on slicks, but Hamilton had better pace for most of the race. Hulk made 2 mistakes - a small one to let Hamilton past, and a big one in braking for T1. That said, he drove a great race.

Alonso stuggled, Massa earned a 2nd place and gave over for the team, but looked every bit the guy who was a credible 2008 WDC contender. I'm not a fan of his as such, but I'm glad he looks to be back to the old Massa.

Vettel made one mistake turning in on Bruno, but managed his car well. I'm astounded after that hit that they could even have all 4 wheels on.

For me, it's between Hulk and Massa. And while Hulk was good, his mistakes cost him a probable podium position. It has to be Felipe MAssa, for the first time since I started posting here!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:56 pm 

I ended up voting for Vettel but it was a close call between him and Button.

Vettel - enormous pressure, last at one point, damaged car, no radio towards the end - kept it neat and tidy. Another slice of luck with safety car though.

Button - drove a solid race and had to contend with the safety car eroding his lead also.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:08 am 

Many good drives today !!

Button stayed out of trouble, had some nice clean fights with hamilton, got 44 sec of advantage on polesitter Hamilton (!!) and then won by a 20+ seconds margin. Had no incidents on this incident-packed race.

HulkenbErg had the drive of his life, really impressive, and his incident only underlines the fact that he was taking that Force India to the limit.

Massa was rejuvenated, great pace and a total team player in the good sense. This time he was the 2008 Massa and it was great to see Nelson Piquet show some kindness for Felipe in the podium.

Vettel did good to comeback from P20 with a car that was falling apart and no radio. Plus a terrible pit stop.

Alonso did all that he could, although it seemed that Massa had better pace this time.

Petrov just gave their team millions of dollars...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:22 am 

scouseknight wrote:
I ended up voting for Vettel but it was a close call between him and Button.

Vettel - enormous pressure, last at one point, damaged car, no radio towards the end - kept it neat and tidy. Another slice of luck with safety car though.

Button - drove a solid race and had to contend with the safety car eroding his lead also.

Just curious as to how Vettel got lucky with the safety car?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:35 am 

Hulkenberg.

What he did in a Force India, before he hit Hamilton, was special. Very special. His team mate was nowhere in the same car as well yet Hulk was up at the very front and even beating the McLaren's regardless of the weather for a long time. Kid has talent.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:37 am 

Laura23 wrote:
Hulkenberg.

What he did in a Force India, before he hit Hamilton, was special. Very special. His team mate was nowhere in the same car as well yet Hulk was up at the very front and even beating the McLaren's regardless of the weather for a long time. Kid has talent.

He was one of only a few drivers with a wet weather set up, though. So when the rain started getting heavier etc, that's when he was quick... I don't mean to take anything away from him, though - I was *really* excited about the prospect of him winning, but it's a fact that his wet set up contributed greatly.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:41 am 

Laura23 wrote:
Hulkenberg.

:thumbup: I always had faith in the Hulk since he started with Williams. Great drive!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:42 am 

sgt.hartman wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
Hulkenberg.

He was one of only a few drivers with a wet weather set up, though. So when the rain started getting heavier etc, that's when he was quick... I don't mean to take anything away from him, though - I was *really* excited about the prospect of him winning, but it's a fact that his wet set up contributed greatly.

He was pulling away from the McLaren's when it was drying as well. He was on it today.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:26 am 

Having read the post race comments from Newey about the extent of the damage on Vettel's car and rewatched the Turn 4 incident at the start, I'm changing my vote to Vettel.

I thought his drive was pretty damn good under the circumstances, but it was actually nothing short of magnificent and a very fitting tribute to taking his third WDC in a row.

The incident at Turn 4 was IMO a complete racing incident, not one that erred on the side of Vettel being at fault. The field closed up, in part because he was being very cautious, but that's also the sort of effect that occurs on a wet track, and he was taking a wide enough line assuming that Senna wouldn't head for the apex but would go round on the inside as he had done in the Turn 1 and got caught out, thereby giving Senna enough room. Beyond that he didn't make any mistakes at all. At best it could be said that he drove cautiously at various points.

From what I understand Vettel's car was pretty badly balanced from that point on and causing greater tyre wear, so they compromised his strategy by going on the hards when the track was drying and hence why his hard tyres wore out faster than I would have anticipated and compared to the rest of the field. So for him to have been setting fast laps, overtaking and pushing through the field is very impressive. He had no radio to let the team know what was going on at his end and in a wet and changing race where communication is more important than ever. He overcame an extra pitstop and a messed up pitstop.

That would be challenging enough in any race, but with so much going on and against the backdrop of a world championship hanging in the balance and literally changing hands every few laps, the pressure would have been absolutely immense. And yet he didn't succumb, didn't even come close to screwing it up.

That was a champion's drive.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:29 am 

kai_ wrote:
Having read the post race comments from Newey about the extent of the damage on Vettel's car and rewatched the Turn 4 incident at the start, I'm changing my vote to Vettel.

I thought his drive was pretty damn good under the circumstances, but it was actually nothing short of magnificent and a very fitting tribute to taking his third WDC in a row.

The incident at Turn 4 was IMO a complete racing incident, not one that erred on the side of Vettel being at fault. The field closed up, in part because he was being very cautious, but that's also the sort of effect that occurs on a wet track, and he was taking a wide enough line assuming that Senna wouldn't head for the apex but would go round on the inside as he had done in the Turn 1 and got caught out, thereby giving Senna enough room. Beyond that he didn't make any mistakes at all. At best it could be said that he drove cautiously at various points.

From what I understand Vettel's car was pretty badly balanced from that point on and causing greater tyre wear, so they compromised his strategy by going on the hards when the track was drying and hence why his hard tyres wore out faster than I would have anticipated and compared to the rest of the field. So for him to have been setting fast laps, overtaking and pushing through the field is very impressive. He had no radio to let the team know what was going on at his end and in a wet and changing race where communication is more important than ever. He overcame an extra pitstop and a messed up pitstop.

That would be challenging enough in any race, but with so much going on and against the backdrop of a world championship hanging in the balance and literally changing hands every few laps, the pressure would have been absolutely immense. And yet he didn't succumb, didn't even come close to screwing it up.

It was pretty good.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:03 am 

Difficult decision, but I eventually voted for Button.

Honourable mentions to Massa, the Hulk, Seb and Schumi.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:06 am 

Massa for me! He looked really strong in the rain!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:11 am 

kai_ wrote:

:thumbup: :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:48 am 

Massa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:53 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Come on, own up! Who voted Kimi!

:] I'm one of them... and here are my reasons:

#1 Not much track time for setups and off he goes to out-qualify his teammate
#2 Did you see how he avoided slamming into the back of Vettel?
#3 He gave up his place for Vettel and lost several places because of that
#4 Did you see his move with Schummy? World class driving from both him and Schummy!
#5 He couldn't see where he was going for most of the race. He went into the slip road calmly, knowing there was an exit but it was closed - then his fanstastic u-turn on that tight road (as mentioned by Brundle). How many drivers would be so calm under such a situation and still manage to carry on the race?
#6 He brought comedic relief in what must have been the most anxious race of this season for many (drivers, fans, and teams!!!).

All I'm saying is, it doesn't always have to be that a driver drove to good results :]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:58 am 

I felt sorry for Massa, who could have had a better result if he wasn't supporting Alonso, but it will be interesting to see to whom PlanetF1 in Team Mate Wars, award the point.

I find it suprising that so many think Alonso deserves Driver of the Race over Massa. Driver of the Year I could understand, but 'The Race'?

There are good arguments for a number of drivers, but at the end of the day Button won under difficult circumstances.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:44 am 

Hulk
Button
Massa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:59 am 

Hamilton should be on the list. He was fighting for victory and retired well into the second half of the race through no fault of his own.

Not that I would vote for him, however. Just saying he should be there.

It's between Button and Hulk for me. Button didn't make a mistake, so I voted for him.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:50 am 

Massa did a great job, the best anyone could have done with that car.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:23 am 

Petrov, with Button a close second

- 2014 Championship leader (post-Austria)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:27 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Hamilton

Yes, was crashed out from the lead, not his fault at all

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:18 am 

f1madman wrote:
mcdo wrote:

Through no fault of his own, it was Hulkenberg's fault.

I don't get how Hulkenberg can be nominated for driver of the day when he took the leader of the race out & that race leader isn't nominated.

#14 for '14

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:27 am 

mcdo wrote:
f1madman wrote:
mcdo wrote:

Through no fault of his own, it was Hulkenberg's fault.

I don't get how Hulkenberg can be nominated for driver of the day when he took the leader of the race out & that race leader isn't nominated.

He is of the genre that believes NK had a better race than Lewis did and why - coz NK finished. If it is all about finishing, then he should be the last person to create this poll coz by definition of whoever finished 1st should be the DOTD.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:19 pm 

Voted Vettel, and that's from a Hamilton fan and a Red Bull hater.

Seriously though he kept his head cool throughout the race despite the incident on lap one and the poor pitstop later in the race.
I have always felt Vettel gets stressed when he is under pressure ala Abu Dhabi, making poor overtakes, ruining his front wing, almost taking out a Toro Rosso...
But yesterday he kept the position he needed and got the car home to win the WDC.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:35 pm 

I still don't understand why Hamilton ins't in this poll?

So what he retired. So what he retired in a crash, that was not his fault what so ever. He was fighting for the win, he was in a great and fair battle with his own team mate and at the point of Hulk (I know I voted him DOTD but I had my reasons) smashing (pun intended) into him was beating Button. He deserves to be in this poll just as much as anyone else. It's not like he retired after about 2 laps.

Another terrible poll from the OP. In future can we just have a list of all the drivers?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:43 pm 

Massa some of his driving was excellent despite fulfilling the rear gunners role 100% .

I wonder if alonso would have handed that 2nd place back if the safety car handed have come out.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."