planetf1.com

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:52 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Sky coverage
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:31 pm
Posts: 418
jensons button wrote:
I actually think Simon Lazenby is really good now....although I did cringe when he gave Whitmarsh the brolley to hold during qualy!

The Nigel Roebuck pieces are brilliant too, I'd happily go on a weekend away within and do nothing but listen!!


Yes, asking for an umbrella and then making Martin Whitmarsh, the CEO of Mclaren Racing, hold it for them both, was very cringeworthy! Imagine if it was Ron Dennis?!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sky coverage
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:58 pm
Posts: 51
Hmm Lazenby and Hill are poor. Hill seems a bit button fanboyish (and also criticizes and praises drivers at weird times) and I wont forgive him for the race where maldonado got near the front 3/4 in quali and he said it was unexpected (hardly given by that point maldonado had won a race and other than lotus/merc/etc williams and sauber were the only other 2 teams doing that fairly constantly in an inconsistent manner and was hardly "not genuine pace"). Sky were good but please Have Irvine and Mcnish instead of Hill and Lazenby!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sky coverage
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 6:41 pm
Posts: 6587
Irvine would spend too much time trying to get into Georgie :lol: :lol:

On the plus side he would call a spade a spade. But something tells me Ted doesn't like him.

_________________
Disclaimer: The above post maybe tongue in cheek.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sky coverage
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:06 am
Posts: 179
Location: Falkirk,Scotland
Eddie Irvine as a presenter would be the single best thing to happen to F1 coverage

_________________
R.I.P. Maria De Villota


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sky coverage
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:19 am
Posts: 1333
Johnston wrote:
Irvine would spend too much time trying to get into Georgie :lol: :lol:

On the plus side he would call a spade a spade. But something tells me Ted doesn't like him.


If I was on that team I would too. Though I would tower of her.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sky coverage
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 4:32 pm
Posts: 1
Right, I rarely post on here but this thread has really wound me up. This is getting ridiculous. The two broadcasters have very different approaches to coverage, so obviously people are going to have different opinions. Sky treats the coverage much like a commercial radio station. It is extremely slick, but sometimes lacks substance. The BBC, however, is working on a much smaller budget, but they often get better interview as seen today with Vettel after the race. Some people will naturally like one type of presentation more than the other. I really can't see why there is a need to get so het up about the differences.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sky coverage
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:15 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:52 am
Posts: 988
Sky will never be good, to many haters.

They have been amazing this season, brought F1 TV coverage to a whole new level, with all the features, immense detail, interviews, sense of humor with added seriousness, all the content is far more than F1 has ever had. For any true f1 fan this is just a joy to watch, they are also very subjective when it comes to nationalities, they are not biased at all, they do it constructively and treat all the same no matter where they are from, a far cry from the BBC and ITV. The have had far more interviews than BBC has had since their come back, in a single season, that shows how deeply involved they are within F1, past and present figures, a far car from the lies you hear on here.

The last race for Sky was really great coverage, they had some minor faults but overall where good. Sky also do allot of fun stuff and are not as serious as people make out (The people who never watch it making out they do to bash SKY) to many haters like stated, they will never get a break.

The BBC have continued to go down hill, they are extremely biased towards the Brtiish, as bad as ITV now, the whole show seems forced now and their attempt at funniness is all an act because its all forced, and there is so much tension between the three now, they have no future and it shows in the coverage.

They did do a pretty good job for the last race but it all seems dull and very forced now, the commentary team also made many mistakes, Ben Edwards made a good few getting cars mixed up and positions wrong, though I am a fan of his, he seems a bit of guard today for the BBC earlier in the race (Picked it up later) But DC as always has the extreme bias towards the British.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sky coverage
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:51 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:59 am
Posts: 68
I'm still really not seeing how Sky have been any better than the BBC. I've had access to both this year and I've always watched the BBC coverage when it was available to me live.

Don't get me wrong, I don't watch the pre-show stuff so I can't comment on that, but in terms of commentary and post show as a package the BBC have easily had Sky covered. It still seems that the paddock just couldn't give a toss about Sky. They're not allowed nearly as much access as the BBC seem to get.

I'll agree that Ben Edwards is awful though, but all the same, Crofty hasn't made the switch to TV at all well. He's far better off sticking to radio where we can't clearly see all the mistakes he's making. Bring back the DC and Brundle combo. I'd switch to Sky for that, though I'd still rather stick needles into my eyes than watch that tosser Lazenby. Oh, and Thompson can FOAD. Anyone talking up her over Mckenzie is doing so based on looks alone, not her talent or knowledge of the sport.

Jake vs Lazenby: Jake wins (irrelevant next year obviously, though Lazenby counts as a negative full stop).
DC vs Hill: DC wins (Hill is a charisma vacuum)
EJ vs JH: EJ wins (What is JH even doing there? He was a nobody as a driver and seems to offer nothing useful. For what it's worth I used to hate EJ too.)
GT vs LM: LM wins (GT is just eye candy)
TK vs GA: GA wins hands down, the difference in knowledge is just astounding. I really miss GA when I'm watching Sky.
Crofty vs BE: They're both fairy cakes, which is a shame because I used to love Crofty on five live.

The one shining star in Sky's coverage is Brundle. Maybe Pinkham too but she never seems to get much airtime.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sky coverage
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:58 am
Posts: 364
ya. Georgie and Ted just takes everything from the races, lol. i don't see the point of Damon being there, and Crofty is the only one who actually does something. and i have rarely seen anyone even caring about Natalie, lol.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sky coverage
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:51 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:14 pm
Posts: 2460
Psychotext wrote:
It still seems that the paddock just couldn't give a toss about Sky.


They probably don't know who they are.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sky coverage
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:52 am
Posts: 988
Eva09 wrote:
Psychotext wrote:
It still seems that the paddock just couldn't give a toss about Sky.


They probably don't know who they are.


This is all the part of bashing as desribed above.

Sky have been much more involved in the paddock and with F1 figures past and present then the BBC ever has. They have had far more interviews, going to the teams work places etc etc, they are much more involved in F1 in a single season, which is why they have so much content because they are interviewing every one possible and going to places BBC never went.

People insist on lying about Sky just to bash them.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sky coverage
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:17 am
Posts: 189
Johnston wrote:
RickM wrote:
=
:lol:

I do hope they get rid of him for next year. Dare I say that Georgie actually knows a LOT more about F1 than Simon as she's always followed it. IMO even she could be a better option (Tho I'd prefer someone new brought in)



I thought that when Georgie done the FP and I think a few Qualis, she was better than Si.

Just need to ditch the mini skirt and high heels for the pit lane.

I don't think we will see Si next year, SKY have been taking on board peoples comments and not many people are complimentary of him.


And that's based on what? peoples comments on this forum?

_________________
A man exists for only a lifetime, a name lasts until the end of time.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sky coverage
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 6:41 pm
Posts: 6587
Perilouscow wrote:

And that's based on what? peoples comments on this forum?



Not just this forum, I haven't seen a decent word about him anywhere.

_________________
Disclaimer: The above post maybe tongue in cheek.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sky coverage
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:43 am
Posts: 17
Just find Sky really soulless, and whenever they try to add a bit of warmth to the coverage it seems forced. The only aspect I've enjoyed over the BBC has been the commentary


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sky coverage
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:20 am
Posts: 2706
Location: Herts, UK
sivapc wrote:
ya. Georgie and Ted just takes everything from the races, lol. i don't see the point of Damon being there, and Crofty is the only one who actually does something. and i have rarely seen anyone even caring about Natalie, lol.


Natalie does the Lee role - she goes to the press stuff, interviews the drivers, etc - the same job she had for 5Live.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sky coverage
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:35 am
Posts: 778
Sky Coverage has been excellent, Simon is probably the weakest link though.

Vettel just won 3 titles in a row...there are 2 british broadcasters showing live coverage at the same time so im hardly going to lose sleep that he got interviewed on BBC rather than Sky.

i think all i watched was highlights of the Canadian GP all season on BBC.

with DC rumoured to be going, also Eddie away sailing, plus Jake off to BT Vision, i can see BBC coverage to being just highlights with Lee McKenzie voice overs.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sky coverage
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:20 am
Posts: 2706
Location: Herts, UK
Psychotext wrote:
I'm still really not seeing how Sky have been any better than the BBC. I've had access to both this year and I've always watched the BBC coverage when it was available to me live.

Don't get me wrong, I don't watch the pre-show stuff so I can't comment on that, but in terms of commentary and post show as a package the BBC have easily had Sky covered. It still seems that the paddock just couldn't give a toss about Sky. They're not allowed nearly as much access as the BBC seem to get.

I'll agree that Ben Edwards is awful though, but all the same, Crofty hasn't made the switch to TV at all well. He's far better off sticking to radio where we can't clearly see all the mistakes he's making. Bring back the DC and Brundle combo. I'd switch to Sky for that, though I'd still rather stick needles into my eyes than watch that tosser Lazenby. Oh, and Thompson can FOAD. Anyone talking up her over Mckenzie is doing so based on looks alone, not her talent or knowledge of the sport.

Jake vs Lazenby: Jake wins (irrelevant next year obviously, though Lazenby counts as a negative full stop).
DC vs Hill: DC wins (Hill is a charisma vacuum)
EJ vs JH: EJ wins (What is JH even doing there? He was a nobody as a driver and seems to offer nothing useful. For what it's worth I used to hate EJ too.)
GT vs LM: LM wins (GT is just eye candy)
TK vs GA: GA wins hands down, the difference in knowledge is just astounding. I really miss GA when I'm watching Sky.
Crofty vs BE: They're both fairy cakes, which is a shame because I used to love Crofty on five live.

The one shining star in Sky's coverage is Brundle. Maybe Pinkham too but she never seems to get much airtime.


I agree with you about Jake vs Lazenby and DC vs Hill, bu no way is EJ better than JH. Sure, EJ is happy to bombard people with questions they dont want to be asked (and still dont answer even though it's EJ asking) but IMO JH is a much better character, and you can actually understand his logic, instead of taking a millenium to say 'yes' or 'no'.

You cant really compare GT to LM. LM can be compared to Nat Pinkham - as thats the job they both do. GT is secondary presenter, taking the reigns of the F1 show and on occasion the practice shows.

I still find it laughable that people can conclude after 1 season that sky are either great or fairy cakes. It's obvious its been used to effectively 'audition' everyone for a long term roll. We've seen a large number of pundits (a few of which would actually do well at the main presenting roll) come and go, and have seen a number of people sitting alongside Crofty for practice commentary (similar to how 5Live used to do it).

As it stands though, Sky's commentary is miles ahead of BBC's. Edwards just seems so wooden, and DC too dull (tho not as dull as Hill would be if he was doing commentary!!)

I think come next season, Sky will have ironed out the minor quirks and have a better offering than the BBC at their peek (i.e 2011).

As for Garry, he's got some great technical insight, but doesnt 'roam' to get as much news and info from the teams during the race. Together they would make a killer pit crew.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sky coverage
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:17 am
Posts: 660
Well at the beginning of the year I wasn't sure if I'd watch BBC or Sky for those races covered by both.. and at the end of the year I found myself watching Sky all the time. I also noticed that I could not longer be bothered watching the pre-and post-race stuff, which I'd always watched over the last 30 years or so.

I just can not stand watching JH, DH and Lazenby. Lazenby is the biggest t***er ever to present a sports TV show and I just can't stand looking at his idiotic grinning as he guffaws and snorts his way through an interview. He tries to be one of the boys and fails horribly. Just can't stand the guy.

JH and DH, apart from being dull as dishwater, don't actually offer anything in terms of insight. "TK in the pits" is ok, but just incredibly repetitive and offers nothing new - his interjections may as well have been recorded in advance. Georgie is plain embarrassing and is saved all the time by Ant, who seems incredibly patient with it all.

So the race commentary combo of Brundle and Crofty works very well, and they gel very well indeed. BE and DC are ok for the Beeb, but I'd still prefer to listen to Brundle.

But for me, the old BBC pre-race stuff and the forum used to be excellent, but all that suffered with the budget cuts. I can't stand watching Lazenby smarm his way around after the race, so I just switch off these days.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sky coverage
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:39 am
Posts: 1309
RickM wrote:
Psychotext wrote:
I'm still really not seeing how Sky have been any better than the BBC. I've had access to both this year and I've always watched the BBC coverage when it was available to me live.

Don't get me wrong, I don't watch the pre-show stuff so I can't comment on that, but in terms of commentary and post show as a package the BBC have easily had Sky covered. It still seems that the paddock just couldn't give a toss about Sky. They're not allowed nearly as much access as the BBC seem to get.

I'll agree that Ben Edwards is awful though, but all the same, Crofty hasn't made the switch to TV at all well. He's far better off sticking to radio where we can't clearly see all the mistakes he's making. Bring back the DC and Brundle combo. I'd switch to Sky for that, though I'd still rather stick needles into my eyes than watch that tosser Lazenby. Oh, and Thompson can FOAD. Anyone talking up her over Mckenzie is doing so based on looks alone, not her talent or knowledge of the sport.

Jake vs Lazenby: Jake wins (irrelevant next year obviously, though Lazenby counts as a negative full stop).
DC vs Hill: DC wins (Hill is a charisma vacuum)
EJ vs JH: EJ wins (What is JH even doing there? He was a nobody as a driver and seems to offer nothing useful. For what it's worth I used to hate EJ too.)
GT vs LM: LM wins (GT is just eye candy)
TK vs GA: GA wins hands down, the difference in knowledge is just astounding. I really miss GA when I'm watching Sky.
Crofty vs BE: They're both fairy cakes, which is a shame because I used to love Crofty on five live.

The one shining star in Sky's coverage is Brundle. Maybe Pinkham too but she never seems to get much airtime.


I agree with you about Jake vs Lazenby and DC vs Hill, bu no way is EJ better than JH. Sure, EJ is happy to bombard people with questions they dont want to be asked (and still dont answer even though it's EJ asking) but IMO JH is a much better character, and you can actually understand his logic, instead of taking a millenium to say 'yes' or 'no'.

You cant really compare GT to LM. LM can be compared to Nat Pinkham - as thats the job they both do. GT is secondary presenter, taking the reigns of the F1 show and on occasion the practice shows.

I still find it laughable that people can conclude after 1 season that sky are either great or fairy cakes. It's obvious its been used to effectively 'audition' everyone for a long term roll. We've seen a large number of pundits (a few of which would actually do well at the main presenting roll) come and go, and have seen a number of people sitting alongside Crofty for practice commentary (similar to how 5Live used to do it).

As it stands though, Sky's commentary is miles ahead of BBC's. Edwards just seems so wooden, and DC too dull (tho not as dull as Hill would be if he was doing commentary!!)

I think come next season, Sky will have ironed out the minor quirks and have a better offering than the BBC at their peek (i.e 2011).

As for Garry, he's got some great technical insight, but doesnt 'roam' to get as much news and info from the teams during the race. Together they would make a killer pit crew.

SL v JH - Jake wins but seemed to be getting too smug or even a bully at times, glad he's leaving if that's the way he's going
DH/MB v DC - not a direct comparison as Hill wasn't at all races. Still dull, but has improved. DC, also dull in the commentary without Brundle and his grid walks poor. Wins over Hill, but not sure his style would fit in with current Sky lineup as well. Martin half does the DC role in punditry too, so comparing them instead he wins hands down.
EJ v JH - Herbert has been friendly, honest and informed. EJ is EJ, left to talk about the race he's brilliant. Send him out to talk to people and he embarrasses himself (see also SL v JH).
NP v LM - On the balance, another one that's improved is Pinky. some of her early season comments were cringeworthy. Lee is solid, but if they move her to a presenting role she hasn't had the same character as Jake.
TK v GA - Gary is certainly the more knowledgeable, but he doesn't translate well to broadcasting. They need to get him to speak louder over the car noise and inject some enthusiasm into what he's saying. Ted, great broadcaster and presenter this year, can seem cocky but I like him.
DC v BE - No contest, Crofty shows excitement in what's saying when it's needed, humour when it's appropriate and emotion when applicable. Edwards has grown on me, but hasn't gelled with DC and still just sounds too excited all the time (and not in a slightly confused Murray Walker style).

Georgie has grown on me, especially since not wearing her Croydon facelift so much/tight, looks more natural. Others, Villeneuve was great in Canada (even if you don't always agree with him), both Davidson and McNish were great in commentary, on the F1 Show and in the SkyPad and Chandhok was brilliant in his stints. Didn't pay as much attention to d'Ambrosio, but he seemed to work well.

Now, let's see who moves and we can start a year in 2013 criticising the new BBC presenters until they start to settle in too.

_________________
"We can not drive slower, just to make the races more exciting." Alain Prost


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sky coverage
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:14 pm
Posts: 2460
domdonald wrote:
I can't stand watching Lazenby smarm his way around after the race


LOL.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sky coverage
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:53 am
Posts: 2682
Location: Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
I started watching both this year but gradually left the BBC behind. Sky seems spread too thin a lot of the time, and the BBC often get better access (presumably as a result of good will). But I personally find the commentary team better on Sky, and that's 90% of what matters to me.

Most of the presenters are awful on both sides. Jake and Jordan are clown shoes and Gary Anderson generally seems so befuddled I just want to give him a hug. On Sky Lazenby seems like the archetypal halfwit rugger-bugger (I bet he takes his trousers off after the 4th pint) and Damon (my all-time F1 hero) has the air of a man who doesn't know or care what's going on in the championship.

_________________
I went skating on your name,
And by tracing it twice,
I fell through the ice,
of Alice


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sky coverage
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:12 pm
Posts: 342
BBC vs Sky Personnel

Presenter, Jake Humphrey vs Simon Lazenby: I really like Jake and can't stand Simon so that's a bit of a no brainer.

Lead Commentator, Ben Edwards vs Martin Brundle: Like it's even a contest...

Support Commentator, David Coulthard vs David Croft: DC wins it for me although Crofty is a better commentator than Ben Edwards.

Chief Analyst, Eddie Jordan vs Damon Hill / Johnny Herbert: EJ wins it for me for both his 'Eddie moments' and the fact he is fearless when it comes to talking to people and asking the awkward questions. However I do believe he needs to crawl out from Lewis Hamilton's friend every now and again, he was practically crying on the F1 Forum in Brazil about how The Hulk and Lewis were denied victory because of the Safety Car... lol wut?

Technical Analyst, Gary Anderson vs Ted Kravitz: Gary makes Ted look like an amateur, I love it when Gary gets his drawings out. He gives the viewer such a great insight into the technical aspect of Formula One. However to be fair to Ted he is better in front of a camera.

Pit Lane Reporter, Lee McKenzie vs Natalie Pinkham: Lee edges Natalie as she has more experience and is more than capable of taking on the lead presenting role, not taking anything away from Natalie though as she does a great job.

Georgie Thompson and Anthony Davidson don't have anyone to be compared to at the BBC but Ant does give a great insight into a driver's perspective of things, Georgie is just there to look pretty.

Overall this season if both Sky and BBC have full race coverage I tend to find myself watching the BBC build up and post-race material but switching over for the Sky commentary, however next year I imagine I will be watching Sky a whole lot more.

_________________
"I don't make mistakes, I make prophecies that immediately turn out to be wrong."

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sky coverage
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:49 pm
Posts: 1791
sgt.hartman wrote:
Ash. wrote:
Sky JUST had an interview with Vettel, what the chocolate fudge cake are you talking about?


Ergh.

BBC had a long interview with Jake, DC and EJ with Vettel, like they did after he won the second championship last year, not just some standard press pen interview.

*That* is what I'm talking about.


Not surprising after they tried to play Kingmaker themselves (and embarrassed themselves in the process )

They had no business airing a speculative onboard - interrupting FOM feed when a bl**dy race is going on and highlighting a possible cause for penalty and thus trying to get the title decided that way.

I say that Vettel and RBR deny them any access from now and simply do whats absolutely required like the standard pen interviews. You can even hear the tinge of bitterness when "praising" the 3rd title for Vettel.

Bunch of spiteful jokers


Last edited by F1yer on Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sky coverage
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:35 am
Posts: 778
ITV DAYS :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITV_F1

Jim Rosenthal, Steve Rider, Tony Jardine :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sky coverage
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:17 am
Posts: 660
F1yer wrote:
sgt.hartman wrote:
Ash. wrote:
Sky JUST had an interview with Vettel, what the chocolate fudge cake are you talking about?


Ergh.

BBC had a long interview with Jake, DC and EJ with Vettel, like they did after he won the second championship last year, not just some standard press pen interview.

*That* is what I'm talking about.


Not surprising after they tried to play Kingmaker themselves (and embarrassed themselves )

They had no business airing a speculative onboard and highlighting a possible cause for penalty and thus trying to get the title decided that way.

I say that Vettel and RBR deny them any access from now and simply do whats absolutely required like the standard pen interviews. You can even hear the tinge of bitterness when "praising" the 3rd title for Vettel.

Bunch of spiteful jokers


That's a bit over the top isn't it? If one of the title contenders has potentially overtaken under yellow, then you'd think it would be at least worth investigating. I think it was totally "in the public interest" to show the clip. Implying that Sky were secretly trying to get Alonso the title is a little silly.

I do agree though that Sky don't seem to be adored around the paddock and don't seem to get the access they want. Still, there's no way I could stand watching yet another Red Bull championship celebration, so I turned the TV off before I even heard Vettel blubbing the word "unbelievable" into this crash-helmet.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sky coverage
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:35 am
Posts: 778
F1yer wrote:
sgt.hartman wrote:
Ash. wrote:
Sky JUST had an interview with Vettel, what the chocolate fudge cake are you talking about?


Ergh.

BBC had a long interview with Jake, DC and EJ with Vettel, like they did after he won the second championship last year, not just some standard press pen interview.

*That* is what I'm talking about.


Not surprising after they tried to play Kingmaker themselves (and embarrassed themselves )

They had no business airing a speculative onboard and highlighting a possible cause for penalty and thus trying to get the title decided that way.

I say that Vettel and RBR deny them any access from now and simply do whats absolutely required like the standard pen interviews. You can even hear the tinge of bitterness when "praising" the 3rd title for Vettel.

Bunch of spiteful jokers


i must say i did find it odd this yellow flag thing was brought up by sky...had my doubts when there was no investigation plus nobody else seem the least bit bothered by it.
seems they made a monumental **** up, and i can see Red Bull being uncooperative in the future.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sky coverage
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 6:41 pm
Posts: 6587
F1yer wrote:
sgt.hartman wrote:
Ash. wrote:
Sky JUST had an interview with Vettel, what the chocolate fudge cake are you talking about?


Ergh.

BBC had a long interview with Jake, DC and EJ with Vettel, like they did after he won the second championship last year, not just some standard press pen interview.

*That* is what I'm talking about.


Not surprising after they tried to play Kingmaker themselves (and embarrassed themselves )

They had no business airing a speculative onboard and highlighting a possible cause for penalty and thus trying to get the title decided that way.

I say that Vettel and RBR deny them any access from now and simply do whats absolutely required like the standard pen interviews. You can even hear the tinge of bitterness when "praising" the 3rd title for Vettel.

Bunch of spiteful jokers


You'll be a bit tiddled to find out that SKY are going to Milton Keynes to do something for the F1 show this week then.

_________________
Disclaimer: The above post maybe tongue in cheek.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sky coverage
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:53 am
Posts: 2682
Location: Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
F1yer wrote:
sgt.hartman wrote:
Ash. wrote:
Sky JUST had an interview with Vettel, what the chocolate fudge cake are you talking about?


Ergh.

BBC had a long interview with Jake, DC and EJ with Vettel, like they did after he won the second championship last year, not just some standard press pen interview.

*That* is what I'm talking about.


Not surprising after they tried to play Kingmaker themselves (and embarrassed themselves )

They had no business airing a speculative onboard and highlighting a possible cause for penalty and thus trying to get the title decided that way.

I say that Vettel and RBR deny them any access from now and simply do whats absolutely required like the standard pen interviews. You can even hear the tinge of bitterness when "praising" the 3rd title for Vettel.

Bunch of spiteful jokers

So they'd have been a better broadcaster if they'd ignored/missed a potentially crucial incident? And because they didn't ignore it they were speculating, bitter and trying to manipulate the result?

_________________
I went skating on your name,
And by tracing it twice,
I fell through the ice,
of Alice


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sky coverage
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:22 pm
Posts: 3698
Whats the problem? Do what I do.
Watch the race live on sky and record the beeb to watch mid week.

That is if you have sky. Otherwise there is no problem.

_________________
I have nothing to offer but blood, oil, gears, and sweat.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sky coverage
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:49 pm
Posts: 1791
Balibari wrote:
F1yer wrote:
sgt.hartman wrote:
Ash. wrote:
Sky JUST had an interview with Vettel, what the chocolate fudge cake are you talking about?


Ergh.

BBC had a long interview with Jake, DC and EJ with Vettel, like they did after he won the second championship last year, not just some standard press pen interview.

*That* is what I'm talking about.


Not surprising after they tried to play Kingmaker themselves (and embarrassed themselves )

They had no business airing a speculative onboard and highlighting a possible cause for penalty and thus trying to get the title decided that way.

I say that Vettel and RBR deny them any access from now and simply do whats absolutely required like the standard pen interviews. You can even hear the tinge of bitterness when "praising" the 3rd title for Vettel.

Bunch of spiteful jokers

So they'd have been a better broadcaster if they'd ignored/missed a potentially crucial incident? And because they didn't ignore it they were speculating, bitter and trying to manipulate the result?


If the FOM , the Stewards (who have all the onboards) and rival team missed a crucial incident , its missable or a non-incident .

Sky do not have to police the race ( by stopping the actual FOM feed ) which is what they tried to do. If you have the footage , show us all you like after the race is over. By taking this unprecedented step of showing it while the race is on, it smacked of a desperate attempt at getting the penalty for the driver concerned.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sky coverage
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:20 am
Posts: 2706
Location: Herts, UK
Dam_Noir wrote:
Lead Commentator, Ben Edwards vs Martin Brundle: Like it's even a contest...


Um...Crofty is the lead commentator, not Brundle. Sure Brundle was lead for the BBC, but we're not comparing his performance last year.

Your comparison should be Edwards vs Crofty, and DC vs Brundle.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sky coverage
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:12 pm
Posts: 342
RickM wrote:
Dam_Noir wrote:
Lead Commentator, Ben Edwards vs Martin Brundle: Like it's even a contest...


Um...Crofty is the lead commentator, not Brundle. Sure Brundle was lead for the BBC, but we're not comparing his performance last year.

Your comparison should be Edwards vs Crofty, and DC vs Brundle.


Fixed*

BBC vs Sky Personnel

Presenter, Jake Humphrey vs Simon Lazenby: I really like Jake and can't stand Simon so that's a bit of a no brainer.

Lead Commentator, Ben Edwards vs David Croft: Ben has improved over the course of the season but Crofty wins out as he comes across as more knowledgeable and entertaining.

Support Commentator, David Coulthard vs Matin Brundle: For me they were the best commentary team in recent times however Martin is far more experienced and it's rather telling he was the lead commentator during their time together.

Chief Analyst, Eddie Jordan vs Damon Hill / Johnny Herbert: EJ wins it for me for both his 'Eddie moments' and the fact he is fearless when it comes to talking to people and asking the awkward questions. However I do believe he needs to crawl out from Lewis Hamilton's friend every now and again, he was practically crying on the F1 Forum in Brazil about how The Hulk and Lewis were denied victory because of the Safety Car... lol wut?

Technical Analyst, Gary Anderson vs Ted Kravitz: Gary makes Ted look like an amateur, I love it when Gary gets his drawings out. He gives the viewer such a great insight into the technical aspect of Formula One. However to be fair to Ted he is better in front of a camera.

Pit Lane Reporter, Lee McKenzie vs Natalie Pinkham: Lee edges Natalie as she has more experience and is more than capable of taking on the lead presenting role, not taking anything away from Natalie though as she does a great job.

Georgie Thompson and Anthony Davidson don't have anyone to be compared to at the BBC but Ant does give a great insight into a driver's perspective of things, Georgie is just there to look pretty.

Overall this season if both Sky and BBC have full race coverage I tend to find myself watching the BBC build up and post-race material but switching over for the Sky commentary, however next year I imagine I will be watching Sky a whole lot more.

_________________
"I don't make mistakes, I make prophecies that immediately turn out to be wrong."

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: fabr68, minchy, shoot999, t2jd1967 and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group