It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:14 pm

All times are UTC

Was the penalty deserved?
Yes 39%  39%  [ 67 ]
No 61%  61%  [ 105 ]
Total votes : 172
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:54 pm 

No.

But drivers like Maldonado, Massa and Vettel got some questionable penalties during the season, so all in all let's get used to it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:56 pm 

froze wrote:
lamo wrote:
froze wrote:
lamo wrote:
So if you lose control and spin into another car whilst trying to overtake it and thus ending his race you do not deserve a penalty?

Crazy.

No because the rear stepping out in that situation was unexpected. Is losing the rear driver induced? Maybe while accelerating, but on that point it was totally unexpected.

Unexpected or not, penalties are given for the outcome of the action. The outcome was a driver error causing another driver to retire.

So what was the driver error exactly?

Not having control of his car?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:00 pm 

I'm not fond of punishing drivers loosing it (as long as they do not make a habit of it). All these penalties are annoying me. If this goes on the drivers will not go for any gap anymore ...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:03 pm 

Interestingly, Kamui tapped Mark Webber and Mark spun, but nothing happened. I think that was a racing deal.

Kamui Kobayashi Fan
"You know when you've been KK'd"-Martin Brundle

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:03 pm 

PzR Slim wrote:
froze wrote:
lamo wrote:
froze wrote:
lamo wrote:
So if you lose control and spin into another car whilst trying to overtake it and thus ending his race you do not deserve a penalty?

Crazy.

No because the rear stepping out in that situation was unexpected. Is losing the rear driver induced? Maybe while accelerating, but on that point it was totally unexpected.

Unexpected or not, penalties are given for the outcome of the action. The outcome was a driver error causing another driver to retire.

Not having control of his car?

So he should've said to Lewis: "Sorry for making the error of not having any control on my car and hence having nothing I could've done about it".

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:04 pm 

froze wrote:
lamo wrote:
froze wrote:
lamo wrote:

Crazy.

Braking to late for the conditions of the racing line causing him to spin. Or maybe you think it was a coincidence that he spun while overtaking but not on any other laps?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:07 pm 

froze wrote:
So he should've said to Lewis: "Sorry for making the error of not having any control on my car and hence having nothing I could've done about it".

That doesn't make any sense. What has what he should have said to Hamilton got to do with it?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:07 pm 

zaar wrote:
I'm not fond of punishing drivers loosing it (as long as they do not make a habit of it). All these penalties are annoying me. If this goes on the drivers will not go for any gap anymore ...

That train has long left the station. F1 is clearly headed towards being a no contact sport and I dont think there is any turning back.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:09 pm 

PzR Slim wrote:
froze wrote:

That doesn't make any sense. What has what he should have said to Hamilton got to do with it?

What you just described was that it was your response that didn't make any sense. I was simply just using that in a sentence. The error of not having any control.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:09 pm 

PzR Slim wrote:
froze wrote:

You will find he usually doesnt. Move on, you are banging your head against a "I dont like LH" wall...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:11 pm 

froze wrote:
PzR Slim wrote:
froze wrote:

What you just described was that it was your response that didn't make any sense. I was simply just using that in a sentence. The error of not having any control.

Eh, no. We are discussing whether nor not the penalty was deserved. You ask what mistake Hulkenburg made. I said he lost control of the car. You then asked what he should have said to Hamilton. What has that got to do with whether the penalty was deserved or not?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:13 pm 

Yes. He messed up and took the leader out.

Maldonado has been lambasted over similar actions.

#14 for '14

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:13 pm 

Racing incident at best. It was a very clear attempt to help Alonso, just like when they deployed the SC right after he complained about the track..

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:18 pm 

F1nsider wrote:
Racing incident at best. It was a very clear attempt to help Alonso, just like when they deployed the SC right after he complained about the track..

Sarcasm surely? Rosberg had just picked up his puncture due to the debris on track.

There's no doubt though, that was a call from Alonso for a Safety Car. But it was justified.

#14 for '14

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:19 pm 

PzR Slim wrote:
froze wrote:
PzR Slim wrote:
froze wrote:

Eh, no. We are discussing whether nor not the penalty was deserved. You ask what mistake Hulkenburg made. I said he lost control of the car. You then asked what he should have said to Hamilton. What has that got to do with whether the penalty was deserved or not?

We were discussing what the error that he made actually was. You say having no control aka having nothing he could've done about it is an error. I was just simply using it in a sentence to show you how it doesn't make any sense how being in a situation where you can't possibly do anything means you are in the wrong and deserve a penalty.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:20 pm 

froze wrote:
PzR Slim wrote:
froze wrote:
PzR Slim wrote:
froze wrote:

We were discussing what the error that he made actually was. You say having no control aka having nothing he could've done about it is an error. I was just simply using it in a sentence to show you how it doesn't make any sense how being in a situation where you can't possibly do anything means you are in the wrong and deserve a penalty.

lol, he shouldn't have put himself in that situation silly...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:24 pm 

PzR Slim wrote:
froze wrote:

Yet how was he supposed to know that he would lose the rear?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:28 pm 

froze wrote:
PzR Slim wrote:
froze wrote:

So what your saying is that any driver who thinks he can make a move stick shouldn't be penalised if they crash into another driver because it doesn't work out how they thought it would? So a driver who tries to overtake on the inside but locks up and understeers into the other car is not at fault because he didn't think it was going to happen? Are you for real? A driver is responsible for controlling his car at all times. If he loses control unless something breaks or because he is hit by somebody else it is his fault.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:35 pm 

It's a drivers responsibility to ensure that significant contact is avoided whenever possible, including during an overtaking move. so if a driver loses control of his car by himself whilst overtaking and slides into innocent party, he deserves any penalty he gets.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:36 pm 

PzR Slim wrote:
froze wrote:
PzR Slim wrote:
froze wrote:

So what your saying is that any driver who thinks he can make a move stick shouldn't be penalised if they crash into another driver because it doesn't work out how they thought it would? So a driver who tries to overtake on the inside but locks up and understeers into the other car is not at fault because he didn't think it was going to happen? Are you for real? A driver is responsible for controlling his car at all times. If he loses control unless something breaks or because he is hit by somebody else it is his fault.

Well besides the fact that you didn't even answer to my question, I think a situation where a driver tries to overtake and understeers on another car is different than a situation where driver has already overtaken and is continuing into the corner ahead. The difference here is trying to overtake and having already overtaken.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:42 pm 

froze wrote:
PzR Slim wrote:
froze wrote:
PzR Slim wrote:
froze wrote:

Well besides the fact that you didn't even answer to my question, I think a situation where a driver tries to overtake and understeers on another car is different than a situation where driver has already overtaken and is continuing into the corner ahead. The difference here is trying to overtake and having already overtaken.

He's supposed to know there is a chance he will lose the rear because he's a professional racing driver who has been racing most of his life and if he has no concept of the limits of the car and conditions he has no place on a race track. Both situations are exactly the same, a driver loses control of his car crashing into another car. Where is the difference?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:45 pm 

Deserved? Yes.

Necessary? Not really.

Maria de Villota

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:54 pm 

Now they've done everything they can to make overtaking possible with DRS and KERS they're sending out the message that there will be little or no leniency for not doing it safely. The top drivers have proven over and over they can manage wheel to wheel without contact so...

At least that is how I'm reading it of late.

Still gotta give him credit for a brilliant race up til then.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:09 pm 

Similar incident to Maldonado on Perez in Silverstone... Hulkenberg lost control of his car and ruined Lewis' race. it wasn't deliberately reckless or anything but what happened happened and he deserved to face the consequences.

The conditions were tricky but you have to legislate for that when thinking about your overtake

Pick 10 Podiums:
1st Place: USA 2012, Japan 2013
3rd Place: China 2014

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:33 pm 

I voted no
yes it was Hulk's fault
but considering the circumstances (wet tricky track and the presence of the Caterham) and it wasn't deliberate from Hulk I think it was too harsh
Of course gutted for Lewis that he couldn't celebrate his last race for Macca with a win but let's not forget that Hulk and Button were screwed by the safety car. Button eventually won and sad that Hulk missed out on his first ever podium (would have been great that he provided Force India with their first win in his last race for them).
I don't believe in a conspiracy theory that they wanted to help Alonso but I think the stewards are not only inconsisntent in punishments but they tend to penalize much more when it's about the top positions. I really don't like the whole penalizing culture that is now in F1. But I guess it's a necessary evil...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:36 pm 

Never a penalty in a million years, he just ran out of talent i think.

Just unlucky for Lewis and Hulkenberg deserved a podium today.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:47 pm 

MclarenBullet wrote:
Never a penalty in a million years, he just ran out of talent i think.

Just unlucky for Lewis and Hulkenberg deserved a podium today.

His talent is unelievable. He was the odd one out in a good way. Like Schumacher in his debut.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:58 pm 

Definitely not deserved. He basically had the move done when the rear stepped out. He didn't punt Hamilton at all, but caught him with the right rear as the car rotated.

Hamilton could have given a hair more room, but it wasn;t Hamiltons fault at all.

Also they were both catching the Caterham far faster than they expected I think, and both were trying to last minute brake that extra bit to avoid rear-ending Kovalainen.

Pure racing incident, I felt bad for both.

And Vettel proved once again he's no better than the new kids at driving in traffic...

As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:05 pm 

Silly penalty, was a legitimate look at the inside of the corner. If every move has to be predictable and perfect, then where does the definition of a racing incident lie? It looks like they had their fingers on the trigger - never seen anyone get a penalty so fast.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:07 pm 

Of course it was deserved, he lost control and took another driver out the race which was 100% his fault, Hamilton did nothing wrong and left him plenty of room.

It's not even something to disagree with it's that clear cut and correctly got a penalty, 90% of all the F1 experts on the broadcasts and in the paddock know and say it's the Hulk's fault because it is, and that's why he got a penalty.

However the Hulk has allot of fans on here though so they use bias and vote no of course, to much bias, even with such a clear cut incident with a driver taking out the other car clearly, people are still blinded because they like the driver and can't see he did anything wrong. Then again people even defend Romain on here for his crazy driving so nothing surprises me.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:13 pm 

Jomox wrote:
Of course it was deserved, he lost control and took another driver out the race which was 100% his fault, Hamilton did nothing wrong and left him plenty of room.

So what about Vettel where he had clear control of his car and knocked out two other cars? Sure, it was another racing incident and maybe Senna shouldnt have ventured to the inside but he did just like Nico shouldnt of gone there but he did. The only thing that is different is that Senna was damaged out of the race and Nico wasnt. Had Senna continued on and Vettel been knocked out Senna would of got a lot more than a drive through.

These guys are at the top of their form. To make them double take about a GREAT overtaking opportunity because they might wreck is insane.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:17 pm 

This incident has nothing to do with Vettel, so it's a mute point.

The new generation is looking very weak in terms of reckless driving either way.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:21 pm 

I'm sorry but this isn't the playground. This is the peak of motorsport.

Incidents like this cost championships; ultimately careers and millions of pounds. Ending somebody's race cannot, at all, be taken lightly.

Not in this situation, but if a driver is taken out through no fault of his own after 2/3 of race distance, I think he should be given half the points which the guilty party earns.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:24 pm 

Jomox wrote:
This incident has nothing to do with Vettel, so it's a mute point.

The new generation is looking very weak in terms of reckless driving either way.

It really does. It highlights the stewards inconsistent ruling throughout the year. Brazil just highlighted it.

If Whiting says that they overlook on the first few corners because cars are three wide and its hard to place blame then what do you do when the leader and second place runner come up on a lap car and they suddenly run three wide?

Hamilton wrecked a lot last year and he wasnt a new generation driver then.

Accidents happen in racing. Trying to police the drivers to NOT wreck is only going to lead to them trying to NOT pass when there is an optimum chance of them completing the pass.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:26 pm 

This incident has nothing to do with Vettel's in terms of who's fault it was and if the penalty was deserved, which in this case it was all the Hulk's fault and he deserved a penalty.

The stewards inconsistency has gone on for years and years and is a whole other story, I doubt it will ever change.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:28 pm 

I like the Hulk but he deserved that penalty.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:38 pm 

Jomox wrote:

It's not even something to disagree with it's that clear cut and correctly got a penalty, 90% of all the F1 experts on the broadcasts and in the paddock know and say it's the Hulk's fault because it is, and that's why he got a penalty.

However the Hulk has allot of fans on here though so they use bias and vote no of course, to much bias, even with such a clear cut incident with a driver taking out the other car clearly, people are still blinded because they like the driver and can't see he did anything wrong. Then again people even defend Romain on here for his crazy driving so nothing surprises me.

You're crazy.

Completely a racing incident. Both drivers got caught out by Kovalainen a bit, I thought Hamilton was gonna rear-end him for a second. Hulkenberg basically made the move work, and then the rear completely stepped out. it's not like he pulled a Maldonado or Massa move barging through; he just lost the tail of the car, and it was actually his right rear tire that struck Hamilton.

Regardless, I was gutted for Hamilton

As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:39 pm 

seandean41 wrote:
Jomox wrote:

You're crazy.

Completely a racing incident. Both drivers got caught out by Kovalainen a bit, I thought Hamilton was gonna rear-end him for a second. Hulkenberg basically made the move work, and then the rear completely stepped out. it's not like he pulled a Maldonado or Massa move barging through; he just lost the tail of the car, and it was actually his right rear tire that struck Hamilton.

So a driver taking out another driver out of the race by smashing into him loosing control, is classed as a racing incident. This is F1, and not karts or GP2, it's worrying if this is what is expected of F1 driver's now, especially the newer generation.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:42 pm 

seandean41 wrote:
Definitely not deserved. He basically had the move done when the rear stepped out. He didn't punt Hamilton at all, but caught him with the right rear as the car rotated.

Hamilton could have given a hair more room, but it wasn;t Hamiltons fault at all.

Also they were both catching the Caterham far faster than they expected I think, and both were trying to last minute brake that extra bit to avoid rear-ending Kovalainen.

Pure racing incident, I felt bad for both.

And Vettel proved once again he's no better than the new kids at driving in traffic...

Look - I agree the penalty is harsh - but it has to be applied. It is, as always, a judgemental issue - IMHO he was rash to try and make the corner in the slippery conditions. If it had been Hamilton that did the same thing (like in the dry last year vs Massa, etc!) folk would be baying for his blood!
I personally think that the 'racing incident' is too easy to use as a 'get out of jail free' clause! The FIA use the 'avoidable collision' for a reason - meaning that, if, in the stewards view - a collision was to all intent and purpose 'certain' due to the drivers premeditated actions - this is what we have to consider. A dive up the inside in the dry is often tricky, in the wet, doubly so - and although harsh, I think Hulk deserved a penalty.
What pisses me off - to a level of exasperation - is the fact that penalties are not consistent. I'd rather that there were no penalties at all - than have the inconsistency that we have seen over the last few seasons! (but of course, without any penalties, that would mean that drives could get away with murder!)
The whole penalty issue needs sorting - and one of the main reasons is bad stewarding IMHO, partly because the majority of stewards are not ex-drivers, but also because they don't have a fixed 'benchline' for assessment.
FWIW - I suggest a simple system for review - along the lines of:
after an incident, all the teams can press a button (or contact race control somehow) - informing race control that they think it needs looking into, say within 3 laps of the incident, allowing some time for video review?
this means that (out of a dozen teams) if six teams press the 'red' button - the stewards have to look at it - and make a ruling.
if 6 or more teams don't press their button - it is overlooked, or else an official ruling is made.
Similarly, if race control have missed an incident, but the teams want it 'reviewed' they can do the same thing - perhaps say within 5 laps - they can tell race control to look into the problem. Again, majority vote rules....
this would (perhaps?) prevent some of the inconsistency seen currently?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:44 pm 

Jomox wrote:
seandean41 wrote:
Jomox wrote:

You're crazy.

So a driver taking out another driver out of the race by smashing into him loosing control, is classed as a racing incident. This is F1, and not karts or GP2, it's worrying if this is what is expected of F1 driver's now, especially the newer generation.

He did not AIM to take him out. In fact, had Hamilton backed off a tiny bit they both would of been in the race. Hamilton saw him coming and tried to close the door by simply keeping his line. Its his job to also maintain that his car be clean throughout the race as well.

Your statements make it seem like Nico was told to take out Hamilton. How many wrecks have happened at turn 1 in Brazil over the years?

Heck, how many races has Hamilton taken out other drivers where no penalty was issued?