planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:17 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
 Post subject: Kimi and the escape road
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:55 pm
Posts: 20
Did anyone notice that due to Kimi's unfortunate journey down that escape road he ended up being lapped and thus did not complete every lap of the racing season - not that it will bother him that much I suppose.

Incidentally Vettel should buy Kimi a drink for going off track on the first lap so as to avoid him going into turn 4.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:14 pm
Posts: 2460
Waders wrote:
Did anyone notice that due to Kimi's unfortunate journey down that escape road he ended up being lapped and thus did not complete every lap of the racing season - not that it will bother him that much I suppose.

Incidentally Vettel should buy Kimi a drink for going off track on the first lap so as to avoid him going into turn 4.


The first lap was scary, excellent driving by Kimi.

Also Schumi and Rosberg.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 6:08 pm
Posts: 1472
It's the first time I've ever seen an F1 driver attempt to do what we all do every time we attempt a new lap record in Mario Kart.

Brilliant and typically Kimi.

_________________
Going to Spa? Check out my site. http://visit-spa-francorchamps.page.tl/
My own Google Earth Motor Sport file. http://www.mediafire.com/?jzm1ieatytv
Follow me @asphalt_world
Oh and Bernie, National flags should be raised not flipped. Sort it!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:33 pm
Posts: 4370
Location: Ireland
That was one of the most bizarre things I've ever seen.

Anyone else noticed that he was on target to finish every lap this season but finished a lap down today? Missed finishing every 2012 lap in the last race!

_________________
"I am a believer, but I start each Grand Prix with 195 liters of fuel behind me," he explains. "I don't rely entirely on God, I rely on Prost."


#14 for '14


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:51 am
Posts: 2464
I found it strange that drivers don't know what is an escape road and what isn't. On the end it was funny, but Kimi appeared to think that the lane leads back to the track.

_________________
The end is near


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:49 pm
Posts: 189
Just out of interest, why is that particular lane blocked off anyway?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:51 am
Posts: 556
Location: Finland
Lt. Drebin wrote:
I found it strange that drivers don't know what is an escape road and what isn't. On the end it was funny, but Kimi appeared to think that the lane leads back to the track.


That road was apparently not blocked on the practice and Kimi thought he could get back from there, but like we all know now, it was blocked. That's what he said to Finnish media at least.


Somebody really should make the "i know what i'm doing" video about this. :nod:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:10 pm
Posts: 477
Many times I have heard him say he didn't intend to do track inspection during the Thursday. Even on Austin, he said he didn't do any simulator runs and didn't really plan to do a track walk-around. Everybody laughed.

In this case I think he paid the price for his laziness. The drivers who are known to be workaholics and detail freaks will certainly study the geography of track so they know every escape road and bit of tarmac. Schumacher was famous for it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:14 pm
Posts: 2
I think he was trying to follow the old circuit back around to where it merges with the modern track at Subida dos Boxes only to find it had been blocked off.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:55 pm
Posts: 724
Location: Tampere, F1nland
tissot wrote:
Somebody really should make the "i know what i'm doing" video about this. :nod:


I saw someone has made a screenshot of it in the rare, funny pics thread.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:34 pm
Posts: 709
Asphalt_World wrote:
It's the first time I've ever seen an F1 driver attempt to do what we all do every time we attempt a new lap record in Mario Kart.

Brilliant and typically Kimi.


LOL .. :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the laugh.. It was my moment of the race.. Really laughed hard


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:37 am
Posts: 880
It's weird that a high camera shot showed that bit of road during the race several times and I thought to myself that I couldn't remember seeing it before. Then later in the race Kimi drives up it and we get a close-up of it.
Bizarre.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:09 am
Posts: 316
Vettel need to thanks kimi seriously, his emergency brake could've caught out anyone except Kimi with brilliant reflex on first lap.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:49 pm
Posts: 189
JohnnyGuitar wrote:
It's weird that a high camera shot showed that bit of road during the race several times and I thought to myself that I couldn't remember seeing it before. Then later in the race Kimi drives up it and we get a close-up of it.
Bizarre.


It's the original Juncao corner from the pre-1990 circuit.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:54 pm
Posts: 50
Location: Canada
wj_gibson wrote:
Just out of interest, why is that particular lane blocked off anyway?


It's the old track, so I guess they just don't want people going through there.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:18 pm
Posts: 325
Location: Evansville, IN
If you use google earth you can see that there usually isnt anything blocking the route that Kimi took. Its strange that he stopped at the top of the hill because there is an escape road exit for safety personel to enter the track from there.

_________________
2013 PF1 Pick 10: 2nd Canadian GP


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:54 pm
Posts: 50
Location: Canada
bballr4567 wrote:
If you use google earth you can see that there usually isnt anything blocking the route that Kimi took. Its strange that he stopped at the top of the hill because there is an escape road exit for safety personel to enter the track from there.


It seems to me like there were concrete barriers at the end of the road. And Google Earth obviously won't show them, since they're probably put there just for the race.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:18 pm
Posts: 325
Location: Evansville, IN
The_Iceman wrote:
bballr4567 wrote:
If you use google earth you can see that there usually isnt anything blocking the route that Kimi took. Its strange that he stopped at the top of the hill because there is an escape road exit for safety personel to enter the track from there.


It seems to me like there were concrete barriers at the end of the road. And Google Earth obviously won't show them, since they're probably put there just for the race.

I couldnt make it out on the Speed coverage of the race. Makes sense if there were barriers though.

_________________
2013 PF1 Pick 10: 2nd Canadian GP


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:37 am
Posts: 908
Location: Upsate NY, USA
Apparently he's done it before, that's why he 'knew' he could do it again.
But there is a gate there, not a barrier or anything, that for some reason was closed today.

Here's what Kimi had to say about it.
"I went off at the last corner on lap fifty-two as I couldn't see well with my visor being dirty and fogged up. Where I went off you can get back on the track by going through the support race pit lane, but you have to go through a gate. I know this as I did the same thing in 2001 and the gate was open that year. Somebody closed it this time. Next year I'll make sure it's open again."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:39 am
Posts: 1309
The_Iceman wrote:
bballr4567 wrote:
If you use google earth you can see that there usually isnt anything blocking the route that Kimi took. Its strange that he stopped at the top of the hill because there is an escape road exit for safety personel to enter the track from there.


It seems to me like there were concrete barriers at the end of the road. And Google Earth obviously won't show them, since they're probably put there just for the race.

Martin Brundle indicated that was still used for the Porsche races too and had there been a Porsche race this morning he'd have been fine.

_________________
"We can not drive slower, just to make the races more exciting." Alain Prost


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:18 pm
Posts: 325
Location: Evansville, IN
Thanks for that. Makes sense to me as he did seem to know where he was going. hahah

_________________
2013 PF1 Pick 10: 2nd Canadian GP


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:16 pm
Posts: 1753
Location: Belgium
The most comical thing I have ever seen in an F1 race, I laughed so much :lol:
Kimi wouldn't do bad as a comedian after his racing career :) He is already being the comical relief of F1.

_________________
F1 fan since 1989
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 2:18 pm
Posts: 1679
Location: Sheffield, S. Yorks
I thought he was off to McDonalds drive-through :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:31 pm
Posts: 312
Probably one of the strangest things I've witnessed in an F1 race. And I remember Ricardo Rosset doing all sorts of strange things.

I initially thought he was parking the car due to a failure. I then realised what he was trying to do and found the whole thing quite hilarious.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:22 pm
Posts: 247
I was watching live timing that time, and noticed Kimi doing a 52 second last sector.. At first I thought "did he pit?" but then again, there was no "OUT" sign indicating a pitstop outlap.. Few minutes later we see a replay of Kimi, and I'm already facepalming, thought he'd had a big off / spin somewhere.. What actually happened made me laugh, so I didn't feel bad about him losing so much time anymore :D

Afterwards I do, because he now missed doing all race laps in the season, but well.. Maybe next year, and let's hope most of those laps he's the leader :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:36 am
Posts: 186
Location: Hampshire UK
Even Kimi is seeing the funny side! This is his tweet about it! Respect!
http://twitter.com/KimiRaikkonen9/statu ... 93/photo/1

_________________
Mark Webber Supporters Club
Join us now!!
http://www.webber-racing.co.uk/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:55 pm
Posts: 724
Location: Tampere, F1nland
MikeyMoos67 wrote:
Even Kimi is seeing the funny side! This is his tweet about it! Respect!
http://twitter.com/KimiRaikkonen9/statu ... 93/photo/1


That's a fake account. Kimi doesn't have a twitter account.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:34 pm
Posts: 709
Gotta love Kimi

Quote:
Kimi Raikkonen: "It was a busy race and we didn't have the pace we wanted all the time. There was certainly a lot going on. I went off at the last corner on lap fifty-two as I couldn't see well with my visor being dirty and fogged up. Where I went off you can get back on the track by going through the support race pit lane, but you have to go through a gate. I know this as I did the same thing in 2001 and the gate was open that year. Somebody closed it this time. Next year I'll make sure it's open again."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:18 am
Posts: 289
Location: USA
RaisinChips wrote:
MikeyMoos67 wrote:
Even Kimi is seeing the funny side! This is his tweet about it! Respect!
http://twitter.com/KimiRaikkonen9/statu ... 93/photo/1


That's a fake account. Kimi doesn't have a twitter account.

Still funny though.. :-)

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition - 2013 Edition
Best Finish: 1st place, Austin 2013
Career: 4 podiums, 1 wins
Current 2014 Championship standing: Mired in the midfield as usual... 47th


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:36 am
Posts: 186
Location: Hampshire UK
Still bloody funny though! 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

_________________
Mark Webber Supporters Club
Join us now!!
http://www.webber-racing.co.uk/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:41 pm
Posts: 2631
mcdo wrote:
That was one of the most bizarre things I've ever seen.

Anyone else noticed that he was on target to finish every lap this season but finished a lap down today? Missed finishing every 2012 lap in the last race!



I found it hilarious. I'm guessing as comm. said that there was a gate up there that was now closed, but it looked hilarious if you ignore that context.

Gutted Kimi didn't make it 100% in the end. I know it means bugger all, but it would have amused me slightly.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:52 am
Posts: 135
Leave me alone! I know where I was going!! :lol: :lol:

http://www.totalf1.com/full_story/view/ ... was_going/

_________________
KIMI, KOBAYASHI, SCHUMI!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:09 am
Posts: 2101
Location: Perth, Australia
Made him look like a bit of a fool, to be honest. Not sure why he even tried - it'd have been just as fast to have turned around even if the escape road was open.

Surely the "least cool" thing of the year.. ;)

_________________
Image
I also have one of these.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:14 pm
Posts: 2460
Toby. wrote:
Made him look like a bit of a fool, to be honest. Not sure why he even tried - it'd have been just as fast to have turned around even if the escape road was open.

Surely the "least cool" thing of the year.. ;)


On F12012 YOU WOULD BE BANNED INSTANTLY FOR LIFE.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:58 am
Posts: 363
Toby. wrote:
Made him look like a bit of a fool, to be honest. Not sure why he even tried - it'd have been just as fast to have turned around even if the escape road was open.

Surely the "least cool" thing of the year.. ;)


he did finish on the points.. even after all the incidents he had..


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:04 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:57 am
Posts: 196
Toby. wrote:
Made him look like a bit of a fool, to be honest. Not sure why he even tried - it'd have been just as fast to have turned around even if the escape road was open.

Surely the "least cool" thing of the year.. ;)


Your sense of what is cool seems to be inverted. The fact that Kimi finished 3rd in the championship while providing so much comic relief speaks volumes I think.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:07 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:24 pm
Posts: 121
F1nsider wrote:
Gotta love Kimi

Quote:
Kimi Raikkonen: "It was a busy race and we didn't have the pace we wanted all the time. There was certainly a lot going on. I went off at the last corner on lap fifty-two as I couldn't see well with my visor being dirty and fogged up. Where I went off you can get back on the track by going through the support race pit lane, but you have to go through a gate. I know this as I did the same thing in 2001 and the gate was open that year. Somebody closed it this time. Next year I'll make sure it's open again."

:thumbup: make sure of it iceman........

_________________
KIMI : THE ICEMAN


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:31 am
Posts: 962
It was funny - but I just wanted him back on track and into the action. In the end, he managed his way back into the points! A stellar drive all in all. And now he has to attend the awards dinner - now that is funny! I wonder if he'll pull a no show?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:55 am
Posts: 543
Still doesn't beat Button for the stupidest thing a driver has done in a race.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:22 am
Posts: 2500
rife_hypocricy wrote:
I thought he was off to McDonalds drive-through :)

Somebody said on another thread that they thought Kimi was looking for a pub - made me LOL :D !


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: pokerman and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
[ Time : 0.121s | 12 Queries | GZIP : Off ]