planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:18 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
 Post subject: Di Resta going downhill?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:00 am
Posts: 95
My tag says it all, I'm a Brit (a scot in fact) and I always cheer on the British drivers...

I had high hopes for young Paul but this year has just seemed like a steady decline, Hulk has outclassed him and he appears to be over driving to compensate. Ending the season in the wall just about sums up the second half of his season.

Lets hope Max Chilton can get in and show some promise next year!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:20 am
Posts: 2706
Location: Herts, UK
All I've seen him do this year is whine, he's never smiled or anything. I wanted to like him, as another Brit on the track is always a plus, but IMO he's just too much of a moaner.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:15 am
Posts: 1717
I am disappointed with Paul this season, after having high hopes

He seemed to have decent strategies at times, let down by the car at others, and then as you say in the end overcompensating with his driving and ultimately going backwards


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:57 am
Posts: 1010
He makes Andy Murray look like he's on Prozac...

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:20 am
Posts: 2706
Location: Herts, UK
Adaemus wrote:
He makes Andy Murray look like he's on Prozac...

:thumbup: :lol:

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:06 am
Posts: 179
Location: Falkirk,Scotland
Think Di Resta is the first British driver I haven't liked he's just so dull on track and off. When Hulkenberg finally got to grips with being back in F1 he's made Di Resta look highly average in the second half of the season.

_________________
R.I.P. Maria De Villota


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:22 pm
Posts: 247
Well he was going uphill for a moment, but then he crashed to the wall.

On more serious note, yes, I think he is. I haven't really followed him too closely, don't really like (or hate, for that matter) the guy, but Hulk is obviously the bigger gun right now. I don't really know why people rate, or rated, Paul so high, haven't seen anything extraordinary from him. The fact that he beat Vettel like 5 (?) years ago in a lower formula doesn't really count to anything in my book.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:58 pm
Posts: 51
Hes always been middle of the road driver who had a lot of hype due to him being "one of us" however I don't think their is room in F1 for "that" extent of nationalism, sure have some but when it leads to hyping of a middle of the road driver who would not be hyped if he were say french or Italian (but who may well be hyped OTT in their own country) it become deterimental to a sport that is meant to extend beyond borders. Sutil comfortably beat him (who in turn was second fiddle to Fisichella) and a pattern has emerged with all his team mates a la Fisi that is the more competative his car is the less competative he is relative to his team mate, meaning if he gets a poor team mate the gap is greatest when the car is poor and closer when the car is good, seems he may be frail mentally or might just not have the skills to get that last tenth or two in a car with a lot of grip.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:51 am
Posts: 2563
Di Resta is a very fine driver and just as many others, he had a couple of bad results in succession. People tend to easily forget his very fine 4th place in Singapore. The fact that he looks or talks in a certain way does not play to me anything.

_________________
The end is near


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:51 pm
Posts: 50
Anyone considered that he might just get the boot at force india leaving space for two??

I have to say Senna sounded pretty confident when BBC interviewed him about next year, made me wonder if he was going back to Renault / Lotus, but maybe it could be here.

Just seems Paul has got worse as the season went on and particularly so since Massa and Perez were confirmed that maybe hes gone huffy because he didnt get the Mclaren, Mercedes or Ferrari drive


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:49 pm
Posts: 198
I haven't noticed di Resta's presence for several months now. Suspect next year is a bit "make or break" for him now.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:20 am
Posts: 2706
Location: Herts, UK
jase.2 wrote:
Anyone considered that he might just get the boot at force india leaving space for two??

I have to say Senna sounded pretty confident when BBC interviewed him about next year, made me wonder if he was going back to Renault / Lotus, but maybe it could be here.

Just seems Paul has got worse as the season went on and particularly so since Massa and Perez were confirmed that maybe hes gone huffy because he didnt get the Mclaren, Mercedes or Ferrari drive


Yeah I thought that too. And the Senna interview was very telling - he's most certainly got a drive next year that he's happy about. Maybe he's replacing Grosjean. Hope he goes up the grid and not down it.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:02 am
Posts: 136
He has promise but this hasn't been a good year for him. I don't think it's so much that he is an average driver but that Hulkenberg is actually an exceptional driver. Personally I think Hulkenberg should have been the rough diamond for Mclaren to polish, rather than the crazy mexican.

That's not to say I dont think Di Resta is good though, I think he is a Jenson Button and with a bit more experience his skills will come to fruitation if he is given a good enough car. Hulkenberg did have the benefit many times in the season of having the right side of the dice fall down in terms of gambling with split setups/strategy, today was one of those days.


It's still too early days to write him off, when things all fall into place Di Resta could still find himself fighting at the top, though if he doesnt pick it up soon he might not get the chance to in the same way that button did.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 4737
I think Hulk has just got better. Paul i believe is still a good driver.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:39 am
Posts: 1309
Bigbazz wrote:
He has promise but this hasn't been a good year for him. I don't think it's so much that he is an average driver but that Hulkenberg is actually an exceptional driver. Personally I think Hulkenberg should have been the rough diamond for Mclaren to polish, rather than the crazy mexican.

That's not to say I dont think Di Resta is good though, I think he is a Jenson Button and with a bit more experience his skills will come to fruitation if he is given a good enough car. Hulkenberg did have the benefit many times in the season of having the right side of the dice fall down in terms of gambling with split setups/strategy, today was one of those days.


It's still too early days to write him off, when things all fall into place Di Resta could still find himself fighting at the top, though if he doesnt pick it up soon he might not get the chance to in the same way that button did.

His best bet is hanging in Force India, trying to grind out some consistency and hoping McLaren take him on to replace Button when the time comes. In today's world of F1 though, I'm thinking he hasn't got the time to find the right car to prove himself like Jenson did (I'm thinking the BAR in 2004 where he was consistently on the podium) to set him up for the big team to give him a car worthy of trying a WDC.

_________________
"We can not drive slower, just to make the races more exciting." Alain Prost


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:11 pm
Posts: 191
Must suck being Diresta right now..Came to the sport with a big mouth and big talk..He always claimed that he is better than Vettel and Hamilton, yet 2 years later he has been beaten by both his teammates pretty significantly while Vettel is a 3 time WDC already attaining legendary status..Sorry but Diresta is a decent driver but nowhere near as good as he thought or claimed to be..Hulk I think will be the next big thing...His pre F1 career and progression clearly shows that..I hope he gets a drive in the big 3 teams.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:58 pm
Posts: 51
Lt. Drebin wrote:
Di Resta is a very fine driver and just as many others, he had a couple of bad results in succession. People tend to easily forget his very fine 4th place in Singapore. The fact that he looks or talks in a certain way does not play to me anything.

How is losing to sutil, who lost to fisi, how is that an example of a fine driver? He's lost to both his two teammates, that's not a fine driver.... I am a scot and as I said if he were not a Brit he would not have been getting praise....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:16 pm
Posts: 1828
Location: Belgium
The problem is that he hardly shows anything spectacular and his teammate has made him look pale in the second half of the season. Next year is make or break for him I think.

_________________
F1 fan since 1989
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:31 pm
Posts: 364
He has been pretty dissapointing this year, it must be said. Maybe he's struggled with the tyres like quite a few others have.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:22 pm
Posts: 3265
Until a few races ago I thought he was on the fast track. Doing well v Hulk and Sutil, both of whom were supposed to have been the next big thing, but this last maybe 5 races he has not performed.

I know he had kers problems in one and a poor tyre choice in another, management problems etc, but in the same car as Hulk, he has not shown him self up in any part of the race, or gained good points by being consistent.
Hopefully he will impress next year

_________________
I have nothing to offer but blood, oil, gears, and sweat.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:23 pm
Posts: 75
RickM wrote:
All I've seen him do this year is whine, he's never smiled or anything. I wanted to like him, as another Brit on the track is always a plus, but IMO he's just too much of a moaner.


Whenever I see his face,(almost always frowning) I think of this:

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:28 am
Posts: 320
jase.2 wrote:
Anyone considered that he might just get the boot at force india leaving space for two??

I have to say Senna sounded pretty confident when BBC interviewed him about next year, made me wonder if he was going back to Renault / Lotus, but maybe it could be here.

Just seems Paul has got worse as the season went on and particularly so since Massa and Perez were confirmed that maybe hes gone huffy because he didnt get the Mclaren, Mercedes or Ferrari drive

In the couple of days proceeding this race rumours have been doing the rounds that Senna is the favourite for the FI seat alongside di Resta. I hope he gets a decent seat.

Anyway, di Resta.
Good driver, extremely dull. Came up against a guy who progressed quicker than he did as the year went on.
Don't know what else to say really. Everyone has ups and downs.
He'll do fine next season I think, but if he gets beaten by Senna next year (or whoever it is) it's hard to see where he goes from there. He'd always be welcome back in the DTM of course, but let's not get ahead of ourselves just yet ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 2:25 pm
Posts: 487
Location: Florida
I thought he was going more uphill, then sorta sideways, the corrected and sidewyas the other way, then WALL....

_________________
As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:53 pm
Posts: 37
My thoughts are exactly like a few others on the thread. Wanted to like him, but he just comes off as miserable. He's really quite average aswell.

Imo doesn't bring anything to the grid. Hope FI get rid and ship in a new face.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:52 am
Posts: 876
To be fair this race it was clearly said Di Resta was on a dry setup and Hulk on a wet, thus the advantage difference so big, usually they are very close and in the dry here he was 2-3 tenths faster than the Hulk, but when it was mixed conditions Hulk had the advance.

Di Resta almost got some points but made a silly mistake and spun, which cost a top 7.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:21 pm
Posts: 948
Location: California
Jomox wrote:
To be fair this race it was clearly said Di Resta was on a dry setup and Hulk on a wet, thus the advantage difference so big, usually they are very close and in the dry here he was 2-3 tenths faster than the Hulk, but when it was mixed conditions Hulk had the advance.

Di Resta almost got some points but made a silly mistake and spun, which cost a top 7.

If Hulk was on a wet set up, how did he outqualify Di Resta so easily yesterday? Di Resta was more than 4 tenths slower yesterday in Q2.

There is no doubt left Hulk is a much better driver than Di Resta. McLaren should have gone for him I think...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:52 am
Posts: 876
PacificBeach wrote:
Jomox wrote:
To be fair this race it was clearly said Di Resta was on a dry setup and Hulk on a wet, thus the advantage difference so big, usually they are very close and in the dry here he was 2-3 tenths faster than the Hulk, but when it was mixed conditions Hulk had the advance.

Di Resta almost got some points but made a silly mistake and spun, which cost a top 7.

If Hulk was on a wet set up, how did he outqualify Di Resta so easily yesterday? Di Resta was more than 4 tenths slower yesterday in Q2.

There is no doubt left Hulk is a much better driver than Di Resta. McLaren should have gone for him I think...


Di Resta got blocked on his flying lap. (So said on BBC)


I found that part weird as well as in all the dry sessions before that he was 2-3 tenths faster than the Hulk. Which would explain the dry setup.

Still don't excuse the fact he could of finished in the top 6 if not for the silly mistake.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:35 pm
Posts: 908
Di Resta is a head scratcher.

He has his days, but then he has his bad days.

Its like after the mid-point through the season, he just dies off. He did the same thing to Sutil last year and got off to a fast start, but once Sutil (in this case Hulkenburg) was adjusted to the tires. He was just mashed into the ground.

He's so confusing sometimes. He has his days though...

_________________
Felipe Massa fan/supporter since 2002 and counting!

We ALL love you Schumi! Don't ever give up!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:52 am
Posts: 876
OutKast wrote:
Di Resta is a head scratcher.

He has his days, but then he has his bad days.

Its like after the mid-point through the season, he just dies off. He did the same thing to Sutil last year and got off to a fast start, but once Sutil (in this case Hulkenburg) was adjusted to the tires. He was just mashed into the ground.

He's so confusing sometimes. He has his days though...


Has the potential and was beating his team mate till later in season, so lacks that consistently later in season when it really matters. Reminds me of a certain Mark Webber.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:14 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:56 am
Posts: 1191
schumilegend wrote:
Must suck being Diresta right now..Came to the sport with a big mouth and big talk..He always claimed that he is better than Vettel and Hamilton


So now that Hulk has beaten DiResta, this means that PDR should now say that Hulkenberg is at the Prost/Senna/Lauda level...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:20 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:52 am
Posts: 876
flavio81 wrote:
schumilegend wrote:
Must suck being Diresta right now..Came to the sport with a big mouth and big talk..He always claimed that he is better than Vettel and Hamilton


So now that Hulk has beaten DiResta, this means that PDR should now say that Hulkenberg is at the Prost/Senna/Lauda level...


Judging from how he raced up front he's no where near their level!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:56 am
Posts: 1191
Jomox wrote:
flavio81 wrote:
schumilegend wrote:
Must suck being Diresta right now..Came to the sport with a big mouth and big talk..He always claimed that he is better than Vettel and Hamilton


So now that Hulk has beaten DiResta, this means that PDR should now say that Hulkenberg is at the Prost/Senna/Lauda level...


Judging from how he raced up front he's no where near their level!


I disagree. Hulk made that mistake because he was already taking the Force India to the limit. It is a Force India... it took serious driving to keep it at P1 and be on the same pace than the McLaren which was the polesitting car and the fastest car.

Very Senna-esque!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:56 am
Posts: 7465
Location: London
He's been all mouth and no trousers so far. Simple as that.

Hulkenburg was totally embarrassing Di Resta today until he hit Hamilton. I mean Hulkenburg was beating two McLarens and leading the race in a Force India on complete merit in the dry and the wet today, no one ahead of him after he'd jumped Vettel at the start failed t finish apart from Hamilton as well. A seriously impressive drive that did have a large blot on it but still. Di Resta was puddling around just in and out of the points then he binned it totally. Hulkenburg still finished 5th.

_________________
1994 1995 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 Get well soon Schumi.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:14 pm
Posts: 2460
Adaemus wrote:
He makes Andy Murray look like he's on Prozac...


You are funny.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:35 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:52 am
Posts: 876
flavio81 wrote:
Jomox wrote:
flavio81 wrote:
schumilegend wrote:
Must suck being Diresta right now..Came to the sport with a big mouth and big talk..He always claimed that he is better than Vettel and Hamilton


So now that Hulk has beaten DiResta, this means that PDR should now say that Hulkenberg is at the Prost/Senna/Lauda level...


Judging from how he raced up front he's no where near their level!


I disagree. Hulk made that mistake because he was already taking the Force India to the limit. It is a Force India... it took serious driving to keep it at P1 and be on the same pace than the McLaren which was the polesitting car and the fastest car.

Very Senna-esque!


He could not handle the pressure of fighting for the win, he made two crucial mistakes, both costing him the win. One costing the other driver's race, potentially his teams 2nd place in teams standings on top of that(Millions of $ and repair bill)

Thats why no teams have picked him up, he's not shown he can handle the pressure up front yet. Regardless of how well he drove in the FI, it's the ability to handle the pressure that counts.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:48 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:11 pm
Posts: 966
His downhill spiral seems in direct correlation to his split with Anthony Hamilton


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:42 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:28 am
Posts: 320
Jomox wrote:
flavio81 wrote:
Jomox wrote:
flavio81 wrote:
schumilegend wrote:
Must suck being Diresta right now..Came to the sport with a big mouth and big talk..He always claimed that he is better than Vettel and Hamilton


So now that Hulk has beaten DiResta, this means that PDR should now say that Hulkenberg is at the Prost/Senna/Lauda level...


Judging from how he raced up front he's no where near their level!


I disagree. Hulk made that mistake because he was already taking the Force India to the limit. It is a Force India... it took serious driving to keep it at P1 and be on the same pace than the McLaren which was the polesitting car and the fastest car.

Very Senna-esque!


He could not handle the pressure of fighting for the win, he made two crucial mistakes, both costing him the win. One costing the other driver's race, potentially his teams 2nd place in teams standings on top of that(Millions of $ and repair bill)

Thats why no teams have picked him up, he's not shown he can handle the pressure up front yet. Regardless of how well he drove in the FI, it's the ability to handle the pressure that counts.

Just like Perez not handling the pressure in Malaysia and no big teams subsequently picking him up? ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:55 am
Posts: 543
beating Vettel in the other series is probably his biggest achievement on his resume and the only way it will get bigger is if Vettel wins more championships :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:29 am
Posts: 379
Location: 127.0.0.1
Personally I'm extremely disappointed with his drive in Brazil. I mean apart from that greasy track bit which made his donkey kick out hulkenberg in comparison drove brilliantly. Sad to see him leave FI as well...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:50 pm
Posts: 85
Diresta got caught up in the Mclaren Lewis negotiation,he listened to Culthard and Button,and seeing that Withmarsh has serious resentment issues with the Hamiltons he had to fire Anthony so then LEADER Button would bring him in.
Anthony sued which then made him toxic to Mclaren and everyone else.now he feels abandoned and used.he was just a pawn In the Witmarsh/button war against The Hamilton


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Blinky McSquinty, expatbrit, P-F1 Mod and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group