planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:25 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: I admit...
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:27 pm 

Granted, you can not win three world titles followed and not be the best. It's simple math. There's no almost-champions. The car is part of the pilot, and a good car needs to be driven by a good driver. So, from a fan of FA, congratulations Vettlel you are the best. And Alonso for second best.

I just hope that next year Alonso wins, or someone new. And this year there was not much difference, after all only 3 points. The most reliable Ferrari and Mclaren RB and the fastest. Each uses its weapons.

Post subject: Re: I admit...
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:58 pm 

Undoubtedly SV deserves his third title, it is, after all, only the final points tally that matters - I don't think anyone begrudges him that at all. But it would have been nice to see a proper race between Alonsos and Vettel today - wheel to wheel, etc - and the best man winning - rather than the 'lottery' that occurred! It was a great season - and I'm glad it went to the wire. Nevertheless, after a race like that - everyone is sat thinking, 'what if' because it really could have turned out much different (SV might not have even got past lap 2, for example!)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:00 am 

Most sensible,honest post i have seen on here from a Alonso fan :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:33 am 

deserved WDC for Vettel, fastest car or not, but that doesn't make him better than Alonso/Hamilton/Kimi... on the other hand,looking at where Webber ended in the standings, you got to admit Vettel's WDC has more to it than just the car, congrats Vettel, you barely made it but it was truly deserved, good luck for 2013 !

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:36 am 

Crislack wrote:
Granted, you can not win three world titles followed and not be the best. It's simple math. There's no almost-champions. The car is part of the pilot, and a good car needs to be driven by a good driver. So, from a fan of FA, congratulations Vettlel you are the best. And Alonso for second best.

I just hope that next year Alonso wins, or someone new. And this year there was not much difference, after all only 3 points. The most reliable Ferrari and Mclaren RB and the fastest. Each uses its weapons.

He won. It was wet. Basically what more can you ask. Good drive.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:39 am 

Big up, OP.
:thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:42 am 

Nah, he isn't the best. FA/LH/KR would have done equally good or better in that machinery. Congratulations to him though, he is a great driver.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:40 am 

Yep, I'll admit last year I absolutely despised the guy. I really do not like complete domination of the sport. However, this year Seb has really won me over with his driving. His car has not been the best (For the first half of the season at least) But he showed what a true racer he is. That drive at Spa was amazing and I think, the drive he put in yesterday in Brazil was outstanding. He, in my opinion is fully deserving of the title this year.

Perez
Vettel

Teams I like:
Lotus
Merc
RBR
Marussia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:39 am 

Crislack wrote:
Granted, you can not win three world titles followed and not be the best. It's simple math.

Yet people don't even recognise Nelson Piquet as a great.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:43 am 

Wow, I didn't know users on this forum were able to be so sensible!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:55 am 

Crislack wrote:

Respect man, and you're from Alonso's hometown! been there a few times myself.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:02 am 

Today's drive was the drive of a champion. He had enormous bad luck this race and basically shrugged it off. It was odd but I had no doubt that he would finish where he had to.

From a Massa fan - good post, Crislack.

We need more people like you who are broadminded.

McLaren and Red Bull had the best car at various times this year, but overall it was McLaren I believe. So if anyone still says Vettel can't win in the not-best car, that's just delusional. Drivers each have their own strengths, and Vettel's is to find a way to finish the job. I still can't believe he won 2010. The ideal driver would probably be a combination of Hamilton's speed and Vettel's finishing skills.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:03 am 

Seb is an awesome driver. Just compare his points to Webber and it says it all. But I cannot say Seb is better than Alonso or Hamilton as he won it in what is the best car. Alonso brought the 3rd best car to 2nd position in the WDC. In other words, he should be placed 3rd or 4th at best. F1 is a team sport, just that the WDC makes it look like the driver is the best compared to the rest, but it isn't.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:01 am 

Respect, OP :thumbup: :thumbup:

Alonso's day will come, he is an amazing driver.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:03 am 

In my opinion, many drivers proved themselves in this season... Alonso gained a lot of respect... He drove superbly... Vettel proved to everyone that he can overtake (abu dhabi and brazil) and can win without having the most dominating car... Kimi proved 2 years away didnt dampen him at all... Hami drove superbly too..... Was a truly amazing season!!!!! my fav season is 2007 coz of kimi winning the championship but this season was totally, completely and utterly awesome!!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:50 am 

He's very good, no doubt about it, although I don't like him one bit.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:56 am 

This final race, he got hit, span round, looked like all was lost, but he did not give up! I do not like the guy but to keep a cool head in that situation and do what is needed was something else...

Also Alonso, if you had said at the start of this season after Melbourne he would of been in the title chase right into the last GP, many would of laughed at you..

Now we have Hamilton in a new team, Vettel looking for number 4, and Alonso looking for revenge, Kimi and Lotus getting better, and who knows if we will see Williams, or FI breaking through some more

I do not know about you... but I cannot wait for 2013

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:12 am 

Very deserved title for him. Huge respect for today's drive staying calm and never putting a foot wrong after the spin and bad pit stop. 3rd time the sweetest because aside from the 3 asian races RBR did not have the best car. Vettel really had to fight hard for this one and for he gets my respect.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:29 am 

Bacus wrote:
He's very good, no doubt about it, although I don't like him one bit.

While ironically, it's said (by those who actually know him) he's a very likeable, very down-to-earth person. Him being friends with Kimi is a testament to that I think, knowing the nature of the Iceman.
I actually find it strange that there are people who don't like him for his on-track behaviour (yes, he is a bad loser), yet can support Alonso, who's really just as bad.

Once Vettel gets off-track in "normal human mode" (e.g. in press), I find it remarkable how much he focusses on RBR and himself, instead of others who are continuously pointing at other teams and people. Especially during the last few races. I think, if anything, we have seen that he is not as much affected by pressure as Alonso is.

But I'd have to say, what a performance Alonso has given us this year. I like Vettel more, but I would have had no problem at all with Alonso winning - he was outstanding (almost) all season long. He is to be rated very highly.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:30 am 

Usman wrote:
Vettel proved to everyone that he can overtake (abu dhabi and brazil)

You definitely forgot Spa here.
For me Brazil was his best race, followed by Spa, followed by Abu Dhabi.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:32 am 

While I don't take anything away from Vettel on fighting tooth and nail for this championship (good on him to hopefully shut up fanboy critics), but Alonso did fall victim to Grosjean's overly optimistic start and the incident with Raikkonen in a most inopportune position that left him beached, and that's what ultimately cost Alonso the title. Im sure Vettel would agree that both those races lost Alonso too many points to maintain a gap over him and that was the difference.

Either way, he drove his but off to learn the new car and finish consistently until his team was able to regain the rear downforce Vettel likes so much. Great job by him and the team.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:52 am 

I am saddened by the loss of Alonso, but otherwise there is something good to take from this defeat Alonso. He will keep his strength. Why do I say this?. Well, there's a rumor in Asturias (FA homeland). Alonso is 31 years old, he left on his contract three years (2013, 2014, 2015) with one more option 2016 (I do not think this would take). FA is an absolute fan of his great boyhood idol Ayrton Senna was. He wants to win three championships as Senna, the rest did not care (he mention several times in candid interviews, in the beginning), what would have happened if he wins in 2012 with 31 years?. Many fear that would relax here and that would not be as competitive, possibly retiring in 2014 with the arrival of another great driver to head up to Ferrari. It commented that the only thing that differentiates he from his early years at Renault is that is slower but much wiser and cold. "Every year you are slower, and I have not had before aggressiveness that is life"

Sad for the loss of Alonso yet hopeful because it retains 100% of its ambition to fulfill his dream of having three world titles. At least we can say that we have as little more than one year 100% FA.