planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:06 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:05 am 

I see. Thanks for the clarification.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:21 am 

mds wrote:
JerCotter7 wrote:
Webber moved over for Vettel and left him pass at one stage, his race engineer said thank you Mark. The start is always going to be hectic so I would ignore that. He left Vettel plenty of room anyway. Vettel was just overly cautious. The restart was nothing to worry about either. Webber was on the outside so he was always able to use the run off if something happened. I rather Vettel out of the two but come one.

Agree about the fact Webber moved over (eventually, because not instantly) and somewhat about the restart too. But the start was absolute nonsense: Webber really did squeeze Vettel some, to the point Vettel felt threatened and backed off. Webber could have let Vettel have a comfortable line. By doing so, Vettel would probably have been in front of Webber and been able to stay in front of Hulkenberg.

I agree entirely. When Mark squeezed Seb out at the start, I was dumb-struck as he knew that Seb was fighting for the WDC. But he (sort of) made amends later at the re-start when he went off-track rather than risking taking Seb out.

Massa on the other hand, slowed down to let Alonso past and was a rear-gunner throughout when he was behind.

I sympathise with Mark and would far prefer him to win a WDC over Seb! But he behaved badly at the beginning of this race.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:25 am 

Going through turn 1 if Mark backs off to let Sebastian through he runs the risk of being involved in a massive Spa-like crash. This is motor racing. Let the drivers race.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:27 am 

Misinformed wrote:
maninblack wrote:
Misinformed wrote:
ManojHS wrote:
Considering an accident on lap 1 demoting him to the back of the grid + damaged body work + delayed pitstop + Torrential conditions + given the fact that he had a lead in the championship and just had to play it safe, p6 is a good result.

Accident on lap 1: Sebastian cut Senna off.
Damaged body work: Again, Sebastian caused that problem for himself.
Torrential conditions: It was the same for everyone, Seb doesn't earn merit points for that.
Had to play it safe: He didn't have to. Vettel was clearly not on it all weekend. He qualified P4. I'm not saying that's bad, but everyone, even people who dislike Vettel, would have expected more. I am 100% certain he would not have been taking it easy in qualifying so that is nothing more than an excuse.

Not sure what you're trying to say, Misinformed. Vettel caused some problems to himself, but shouldn't have won the WDC because he overcame said setbacks?

Misinformed wrote:
Whether you're the best, second best, or third best driver in Formula One, it means nothing in the grand scheme of things if you can't win a particular year's championship without someone having to yield to you.

What only matters in winning the Championship is one driver scoring more points than everyone else he's competing against.

The how of getting more points than everyone else doesn't always matter. If the powers-that-be deem the how to be controversial enough, then they'll investigate.

Firstly, I never said that Vettel overcoming the aforementioned setbacks deemed him undeserving of the championship. I simply stated that those particular set backs did not make his race better than any other driver's because he brought those set backs upon himself.

Secondly, I know full-well that the points are what matters at the end of the day. The point I'm trying to make is that everyone is having a whinge because Webber isn't as keen to give Vettel track position as Massa is to Alonso. The same people that are having a go at Webber for not yielding are the people that have a go at Massa for yielding to Alonso.

You have a point, but the difference is that the last race was the WDC decider!

I dislike team orders, so am happy to criticise Massa when he goes (IMO) OTT with being a lap-dog, whereas as long as Mark had a chance at the WDC I enthusiastically supported him not letting Seb past.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:15 am 

Misinformed wrote:
maninblack wrote:
Misinformed wrote:
ManojHS wrote:
Considering an accident on lap 1 demoting him to the back of the grid + damaged body work + delayed pitstop + Torrential conditions + given the fact that he had a lead in the championship and just had to play it safe, p6 is a good result.

Accident on lap 1: Sebastian cut Senna off.
Damaged body work: Again, Sebastian caused that problem for himself.
Torrential conditions: It was the same for everyone, Seb doesn't earn merit points for that.
Had to play it safe: He didn't have to. Vettel was clearly not on it all weekend. He qualified P4. I'm not saying that's bad, but everyone, even people who dislike Vettel, would have expected more. I am 100% certain he would not have been taking it easy in qualifying so that is nothing more than an excuse.

Not sure what you're trying to say, Misinformed. Vettel caused some problems to himself, but shouldn't have won the WDC because he overcame said setbacks?

Misinformed wrote:
Whether you're the best, second best, or third best driver in Formula One, it means nothing in the grand scheme of things if you can't win a particular year's championship without someone having to yield to you.

What only matters in winning the Championship is one driver scoring more points than everyone else he's competing against.

The how of getting more points than everyone else doesn't always matter. If the powers-that-be deem the how to be controversial enough, then they'll investigate.

Firstly, I never said that Vettel overcoming the aforementioned setbacks deemed him undeserving of the championship. I simply stated that those particular set backs did not make his race better than any other driver's because he brought those set backs upon himself.

It was a racing incident - any driver can get involved in that. What happened afterwards was greatness, despite being under the most extreme of pressure. Yes, the conditions were the same for everybody, but Vettel was quite a bit faster than Alonso in the rain (where Alonso fans were hoping it would rain all week long because then "true driver skills show") - evidenced by the fact Vettel had effectively closed the gap with Alonso to +- 6 seconds by lap 10 and +- 1.5 seconds by lap 19 (he came in one lap after Alonso for new tyres, by which he lost time), when the safety car came into play. Seeing how he was reversed after T4 and dead last, that's quite impressive.

The failing radio wasn't his fault. The extra pit stop wasn't his fault. The pit stop where his tyres weren't ready wasn't his fault. He drove a big part of the race with an engine mapping that set the car to reduced power. His aero and thus car balance was off. And still, he was way more impressive in the rain than Alonso.

Last edited by mds on Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:56 am 

For all the people that are saying that Vettel finished last of the fastest, needed help from everybody, blablabla, take into consideration that Red Bull messed up the strategy and fitted dry tyres when it started to rain near the end of the race. Had Red Bull fitted inters in the first place, Vettel would had finished in front (or very close) of Alonso ( Alonso did 1-2 laps on slicks when the circuit was wet before changing to inters).

It's really funny how people keep embarrassing themselves trying to criticize Vettel, blinded by their hate. From the crash kid in 2010 to the youngest triple world champion in 2012.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:47 am 

darksides wrote:
gregwil wrote:
1. At the start he completely opens the door for the Ferrari's and covers Vettel giving both Ferrari's extra positions and causing Vettel to loose three, any other team mate would have tried to cover the Ferrari's and if he lost position to his team mate then so be it.
2. At the end of the first lap he goes to the outside of Massa and therefore leaves the door completely open for Alonso who is obviously Vettel's only rival at this stage. Massa simply had to keep Mark on the outside and allow Alonso through which he did and also compromised his own positions by doing so, this was obviously what he was always going to do and I think this was an easy way for Mark to hand the place to Alonso without making it too obvious.
3. He then doesn't try challenge Alonso and even when Alonso goes off on lap 3 Mark makes at best a half hearted attempt at getting past. OK this is the one part that could probably be argued and maybe he did try although it didn't appear that he was trying very hard, I would bet that if it was Vettel who had been in front he would have tried a lot harder.
4. Lap 11 Vettel comes out of the pits behind Webber, Webber should have immediately given him that place but no a lap later Webber is still in front even though Vettel has been on his gearbox for the whole lap, down the DRS straight Webber still stays ahead and then reluctantly after a lap and a half he gives Vettel the place.
5. At the end of the safety car period on lap 29 Kobayashi goes to overtake Vettel on the inside and for some messed up reason Webber tries on the outside which obviously distracts Vettel and then allows Kobayashi through, he may have still gone through but it was so unnecessary for Webber to do what he did there and could have caused major problems which is what I am sure his aim was.

... haha, oh dear.

Seems someone has completely lost grip on reality. "He could've let Seb slip by easily" Not without compromising his own position too harshly.
Mark was ahead going into corner 1, pure and simple. He didn't leave the track to stay ahead. Fernando getting past Mark was PURELY the RBR's horrible top speed and gearing compared to Ferrari's straight line rocket.
After the 1st restart Mark ran wide to let Seb through and also let him through later on in the race when they were nose to tail.
When I watched the race live it was on the edge of seat stuff start to end so did not pay too much attention to Webber.

I watched it again the following day and paid more attention to what he was doing, if you can watch it again and then tell me I'm wrong.

When he left the start line he actively chopped Vettel, his focus was all on getting ahead of Vettel and nothing else. Generally no problem but at this part of the season when you have lost the WDC why be that way towards your team mate. He didn't have to help him but he shouldn't have been trying to hinder him either.

After the restart he didn't run wide to let Vettel through :uhoh:. He was behind Vettel and tried to overtake him and outbraked himself and could have caused unnecessary problems for his team mate.

Later in the race he reluctantly let Vettel through after a lap and a half of Vettel being right behind him. Vettel was clearly faster than him at that stage and even Webber would have found it difficult to explain why he did not let him through if he had not eventually done so, besides had he not done so Red Bull would have rightly just brought him into the pits which would have cost him even more.

Webber has a huge chip on his shoulder, of that there is no doubt, and he would have preferred Alonso to win, also no doubt.....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:57 am 

Vettel only had to finished 5th to be certain of winning the championship regardless of where Alonso finished, why should Webber let him through for 3rd? Vettel should have seen sense and not have battled so hard in the first corner for a position he didn't even need.

Later on in the race, after Vettel had compromised his own race by his poor judgement on two of the first four corners, Mark did allow him past. Mark did everything he had to in that race, Vettel or his fans expecting more than that is just an overgrown sense of entitlement.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:00 pm 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Vettel only had to finished 5th to be certain of winning the championship regardless of where Alonso finished, why should Webber let him through for 3rd? Vettel should have seen sense and not have battled so hard in the first corner for a position he didn't even need.

He had to finish 4th, not 5th. And why? Because Vettel would have been in a far safer position, to avoid any first lap incidents. Seems pretty clear to me.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:20 pm 

mds wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:

He had to finish 4th, not 5th. And why? Because Vettel would have been in a far safer position, to avoid any first lap incidents. Seems pretty clear to me.

Typoed 4th/5th (on my tablet) - and it doesn't make any difference to the argument. Vettel qualified in 4th place, which is the position he needed to guarantee the result even if Alonso won, and Alonso was behind them on the track at the time. It is one thing asking a team mate to sacrifice a position when it is essential to championship fight, it's another when it is not necessary. Vettel could have backed out, followed through and if it was deemed essential later on Mark could have, and would have moved out.

Vettel is 100% to blame for his first lap incidents, caused by a poor qualifying session and bad judgement at the start. He redeemed himself with a great drive through the field, but he only has himself to blame for putting himself in that position. Mark is his team mate, not his whipping boy.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:26 pm 

It was a racing incident. It's very probable Vettel never saw Senna since Di Resta was in his left mirror.
Webber actively caused Vettel to lose a few places.

How hard is this anyway? You don't squeeze your teammate who's fighting for WDC. End of story.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:32 pm 

mds wrote:
It was a racing incident. It's very probable Vettel never saw Senna since Di Resta was in his left mirror.

How hard is this anyway? You don't squeeze your teammate who's fighting for WDC. End of story.

Webber doesnt have it in his genes while Massa has loads !

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:33 pm 

mds wrote:

Whether or not he saw Senna is irrelevant, it was the start of the race, it was almost certain there would be a car taking the inside, racing line of that corner so to cut across it was almost certain to be asking for something - which is what happened.

How hard is it? You don't win the race at the first corner. End of story.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:34 pm 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
mds wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:

Typoed 4th/5th (on my tablet) - and it doesn't make any difference to the argument. Vettel qualified in 4th place, which is the position he needed to guarantee the result even if Alonso won, and Alonso was behind them on the track at the time. It is one thing asking a team mate to sacrifice a position when it is essential to championship fight, it's another when it is not necessary. Vettel could have backed out, followed through and if it was deemed essential later on Mark could have, and would have moved out.

Vettel is 100% to blame for his first lap incidents, caused by a poor qualifying session and bad judgement at the start. He redeemed himself with a great drive through the field, but he only has himself to blame for putting himself in that position. Mark is his team mate, not his whipping boy.

Pretty ridiculous argument. How many people finish on their grid spots especially on a rainy race?

It was Webbers job to block Massa (and Alonso) and let Vettel slip away never to be seen by the red cars. Instead he did just the opposite. Poor show

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:37 pm 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
mds wrote:

Whether or not he saw Senna is irrelevant, it was the start of the race, it was almost certain there would be a car taking the inside, racing line of that corner so to cut across it was almost certain to be asking for something - which is what happened.

That was a red mist moment from Vettel although Senna did overshoot his braking point as well.

But all that is off topic in this thread. Its about what Webber / Massa could and should have done .

Massa did it despite being the faster one - covering and letting Alonso past other cars and Webber did just the opposite and actually hurting Vettel - who was lucky to have finished.

I m 100% sure - if Vettel had DNFed , Webber wouldnt be driving in 2013 for RBR.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:38 pm 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:

No, but you can certainly lose it. Which is why you don't squeeze your team-mate who's going for WDC, and instead give him breathing space.

Have you seen what Massa did? I will forever remember this specific performance from him, because it was THAT good. In contrast, what Webber did was just plainly wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:38 pm 

F1yer wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:
mds wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:

Pretty ridiculous argument. How many people finish on their grid spots especially on a rainy race?

It was Webbers job to block Massa (and Alonso) and let Vettel slip away never to be seen by the red cars. Instead he did just the opposite. Poor show

Just as flour isn't bread, one component of my post is not my argument.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:49 pm 

mds wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:

No, but you can certainly lose it. Which is why you don't squeeze your team-mate who's going for WDC, and instead give him breathing space.

Have you seen what Massa did? I will forever remember this specific performance from him, because it was THAT good. In contrast, what Webber did was just plainly wrong.

What Massa did was special, and I even tweeted at the time words of that effect:

https://twitter.com/Alien2human/status/ ... 4871176192

However, at that point, Alonso was not anywhere near contention being far from the podium and in danger of being passed by Webber and Massa was positioning his car to prevent Webber from passing him to further damage Alonso's chances.

In contrast, at the start, Alonso was behind Vettel on the track (he needed to be 14 points ahead) and Vettel was already in a position that guaranteed him the WDC regardless of what Alonso did. I am sure that if Vettel was a lap down in 12th place and Massa was leading a 1-2 to Alonso he would not have moved over.

Also, Vettel did not need to overtake Webber into the first corner; if it was deemed necessary for Webber to let Vettel go and hold up the Ferraris it would be far easier to orchestrate once the field had unbunched halfway through the first lap rather than trying to choreograph it during the chaos of the start.

Team orders are a controversial aspect of the sport. They are deemed a necessary evil, as they are always unpopular when they happen. So expecting a team mate to be more submissive than is absolutely necessary is not a good direction for the sport.

Vettel won the WDC, and Mark very clearly moved over and gave up his place when it was absolutely necessary for Vettel's championship. The fact that some of his fans got the result they wanted and expect more from Mark speaks volumes.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:02 pm 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
The fact that some of his fans got the result they wanted and expect more from Mark speaks volumes.

The fact you're pretty much the first and only I've seen with this opinion does too. And it's true, Mark moved over at one point, after having been holding him up for the better part of 2 laps.

But really, once again, since you don't seem to get it: Vettel had the better start and Mark squeezed his team-mate who was in full contention for the WDC. You don't do that. Never, ever, ever.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:12 pm 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
mds wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:

What Massa did was special, and I even tweeted at the time words of that effect:

https://twitter.com/Alien2human/status/ ... 4871176192

However, at that point, Alonso was not anywhere near contention being far from the podium and in danger of being passed by Webber and Massa was positioning his car to prevent Webber from passing him to further damage Alonso's chances.

In contrast, at the start, Alonso was behind Vettel on the track (he needed to be 14 points ahead) and Vettel was already in a position that guaranteed him the WDC regardless of what Alonso did. I am sure that if Vettel was a lap down in 12th place and Massa was leading a 1-2 to Alonso he would not have moved over.

Also, Vettel did not need to overtake Webber into the first corner; if it was deemed necessary for Webber to let Vettel go and hold up the Ferraris it would be far easier to orchestrate once the field had unbunched halfway through the first lap rather than trying to choreograph it during the chaos of the start.

Team orders are a controversial aspect of the sport. They are deemed a necessary evil, as they are always unpopular when they happen. So expecting a team mate to be more submissive than is absolutely necessary is not a good direction for the sport.

Vettel won the WDC, and Mark very clearly moved over and gave up his place when it was absolutely necessary for Vettel's championship. The fact that some of his fans got the result they wanted and expect more from Mark speaks volumes.

Their is some logic in that but NOT giving him position at the start is not same as squeezing him into the apex either.

Actually I would have liked to see an "orchestration plan" just for the start- where Webber covers the outside and Vettel takes the inside - thus bloclking the Ferraris or at least making them go way outside and compromise their exit . The way Webber keeps coming towards the inside even at a slight disadvantage to his own racing line just looked ridiculous.

I would also fault Webber for not being able to cover Alonso - he chose the outside line when trying to overtake Massa - Should have chosen the inside to cover Alonso - His focus shudnt be to take MAssa but keep Alonso behind.

And then - when Alonso made a mistake later on - failed to make a jump on him when it would be a simple aggressive move of taking a late braking inside line and easily done because Alonso wouldnt want to risk anything.

Last edited by F1yer on Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:17 pm 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
The fact that some of his fans got the result they wanted and expect more from Mark speaks volumes.

Not at all - because we are discussing something totally different from the end result.
End result was pure lucky that Vettel managed to finish - had he not RBR wold have lost the title and a good portion of blame would have come to Mark.

It speaks about the attitude Mark has - to do absolutely minimum to help even when he himself is not in the fight. It shows a chink in RBRs armor when dealing with other teams .. I really hope RBR see something in Webber which outweighs his attitude issues. Mark should thank his stars that vettel finished amd just clinched the title otherwise it would be a tough one for him to explain

Good driver but not one to rely upon when needed.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:20 pm 

mds wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:

The fact you're pretty much the first and only I've seen with this opinion does too. And it's true, Mark moved over at one point, after having been holding him up for the better part of 2 laps.

But really, once again, since you don't seem to get it: Vettel had the better start and Mark squeezed his team-mate who was in full contention for the WDC. You don't do that. Never, ever, ever.

Says who, and if it is the big deal you are making it out to be, why have Red Bull not fired Mark for gross misconduct?

Sebastian and Mark both knew what needed to be done for Vettel to secure the WDC. They are both competitive animals, that is why Mark would not concede a position Vettel did not need and why Vettel went for a position he did not need. Red Bull would not have had the success they have enjoyed if Webber had Massa's mentality - with Massa's mentality Webber would not have won the British Grand Prix, and as such Alonso would be be WDC.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:36 pm 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Says who

Just about everybody who's watching F1 and is not a major fan of the driver being discussed. And even among those last, I suspect some would say the same. Obviously that doesn't include you.

Quote:
with Massa's mentality Webber would not have won the British Grand Prix, and as such Alonso would be be WDC.

I'm not saying Webber should behave as submissive as Massa, but there's more than just black and white. Webber can go his ways all season, but this was the last race and the stakes were enormous. And Webber was out of contention.

As F1yer said:
Quote:
The way Webber keeps coming towards the inside even at a slight disadvantage to his own racing line just looked ridiculous.

Vettel got the better start, Webber focused on keeping him on the behind. At that point in the season, that's always wrong. No matter how stubborn you are about it, it was ridiculous.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:33 pm 

My apologies if the following pictures are too large, I'm new to posting photos.

Here you can see that Mark has his nose pointing on a slight angle towards Sebastian's car.

1 second later: Mark has moved next to Vettel and is pointing front-on.

3 seconds later: Given that turn 1 is a left-hander, Mark has maintained his line where as Sebastian has moved to his left more(inside line). You can see there is space both between Mark and Sebastian, and between Sebastian and the kerb.

1 second later: Mark, while not having the inside line is a car's length ahead of Sebastian. It almost looks as though Sebastian has backed off, something that a driver must do if they take the inside line going into the left hander of a left-right-left chicane if there is a car to their right.

1 second later: Mark is more clearly ahead of Sebastian now, and has then chosen to finally take the inside line against the kerb.

Note: I think this is really a storm in a tea cup. Maybe if turn 1 between Mark and Sebastian was a little more like Felipe and Jenson in picture #3 then I'd understand..

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:52 pm 

^^ All the above does is illustrate how much of a good job Webber did in letting Alonso and Massa drive clean around both he and Vettel. I'm struggling to understand what Webber thought he was doing, in terms of helping his team-mate in this situation. He clearly wasn't thinking of his team-mate at this point - he moved over and pinned Vettel to the wall, when what he needed to do was move to the outside to make himself a mobile chicane for Alonso and Massa to negotiate.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:49 pm 

sgt.hartman wrote:
^^ All the above does is illustrate how much of a good job Webber did in letting Alonso and Massa drive clean around both he and Vettel. I'm struggling to understand what Webber thought he was doing, in terms of helping his team-mate in this situation. He clearly wasn't thinking of his team-mate at this point - he moved over and pinned Vettel to the wall, when what he needed to do was move to the outside to make himself a mobile chicane for Alonso and Massa to negotiate.

Agree.
That's what you do in normal racing: close the door.
But like the OP said, this was the final race, the title deciding race, and Webber wasn't racing for the title, what should've been done was to take the outside to keep the Ferraris away from Vettel who was taking the inside. Instead, he raced Vettel as if he was his rival while letting the door open wide for Alonso as if he was his team mate. The question is, at that moment, which one did he think his team mate was, and who his rival was?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:51 pm 

Second screenshot shows he is just minding Vettel and not the others about to pass him. He should have stayed higher, Hulkenberg probably wouldn't have passed Vettel by doing so (and Vettel would have been able to go faster by not having to back off).
All that shows is Webber opened up a really nice hole for both Alonso and Hulkenberg to dive into.

Last edited by mds on Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:01 pm 

In response to the OP, I was surprised by how uncooperative Webber was. Given that the constructors was sealed, the best outcome for Webber in this race was a win while his teammate was fighting for a championship. Under such circumstances, I expect anybody to help out a teammate and even at the risk of compromising their own race. Especially in the light of these events in the past:

1. Hungarian GP 2010: Vettel incurs drive-through penalty when holding up Alonso behind the safety car. The reason for doing so - to help his teammate and world championship rival Webber jump ahead of Fernando. Set aside the fact that Vettel and Red Bull should have been aware of the 10-car-length rule - Vettel helped out Webber even when they were both fighting for the drivers' championship.
2. Brazilan GP 2011: This race was a dead-rubber as far as the championships were concerned, but Vettel was extremely cooperative in letting Webber past when his car was hobbled with a missing gear. He even communicated to the team where he would let Webber past so that there was no confusion.

Even though I am not a Ferrari fan, I fully support their moves to help Fernando and their previous championship contenders. More than just staying out of the way, Felipe actively played a role in making things easier for Fernando. He even helped Kimi out in the 2007 finale at the start. In return Kimi let Felipe pass him for 2nd place in China in 2008. Ferrari clearly have a history in this regard in the Schumacher era, including the '99 Malaysian GP where Schumi held up Hakkinen and allowed Irvine to pass him twice on track to take the championship lead.

In the light of such teamwork, I expect drivers to be as cooperative as they can to aid their teammates' championship efforts. But the fact that Webber has received help from Vettel in the past make his actions on Sunday even harder to justify.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:16 pm 

I must add that from Red Bull's point of view, Webber is the perfect teammate for Sebastian - he's very quick and can challenge Seb to raise his game, and bags plenty of points for the constructors championship, but is too inconsistent to be a championship threat (except if he has much better reliability, as in 2010). To me, this is still a better situation than at McLaren and Ferrari -
McLaren: The drivers are too competitive and can take massive points off each other. Good for the constructors title, not the best for the drivers' championship.
Ferrari: Massa (at least the 2011 - Sep 2012 version) is too uncompetitive. If he begins 2013 like he ended 2012, this will look like another Jenson-Lewis partnership.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:16 pm 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
[color=#570000]Says who, and if it is the big deal you are making it out to be, why have Red Bull not fired Mark for gross misconduct?

I need to stick up for this fellows opinion here, NOBODY was going to stop such fast starting ferraris. they would've gotten past regardless of whether Mark tried to block them.

In turn 1 of a grand prix you should firstly be avoiding collisions, secondly be trying to make up positions, blocking is only a momentary consideration when you've already committed to a braking point (in my opinion)

Mark would've let Seb go by in the braking zone after a straight, shouldn't risk collisions by blocking or backing off into the first corner! You guys are st00pid.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:33 pm 

before the race Allan McNish pointed out on sky that the secret to Ferrari/Alonsos starts has been the outside line into the first corner, now I'm sure he is not the only person to notice this and.. ok forget the chmpionship for one second..Webber surely would hav known this too, and he is in front and surely wanted to remain so, so sicking to the outer line stopping the ferraris (or making it a lil harder anyway) to do the usual Alonso trickwould have made sense yet he feels the NEED to squeeze his own eam mate and leave he door wide open for rivals

the fact it was the last race and his team mate was in contention made it worse

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:32 am 

It's bothersome the way people are constantly saying that Webber had to do this, and Webber had to do that. Those are not particularly things he had to do, but rather things you all wanted him to do. Mark said it himself in the post-qualifying press conference, he had his own cockpit to control. When he said that, people praised him for it. Simply because he was close to Sebastian into turn 1, that's grounds for trying to block him? Whether it's Vettel, Alonso, Hamilton or whoever that he would try to block into turn 1, that is simply something you do not do.

Drivers cannot afford to constantly be looking in their mirrors going into turn 1, trying to find specific drivers to impede, particularly given that the run to turn 1 at Brazil is relatively short.

On top of that, I don't understand why a teammate should have to show any regard for their teammate fighting for the world championship. Obviously they're going to work together in full force to try and grab the World Constructors' Championship, but ultimately the WDC did not concern Webber at all this race, he made that evident prior to the race as well. I think it's ridiculous for so many people to criticise Mark for trying to do what he loves which is to race his own race, rather than help Sebastian win a world championship.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:51 am 

gregwil wrote:
Webber shielded Vettel to protect him at the start......

You simply cannot be serious with that comment, if he were trying to help he would have blocked the Ferrari's not blatantly opened the door for them and blocked his team mates progress.

"Shielded him...." Yeah right :lol:

It's funny you would mock that part because those weren't my words, they were spoken by a commentator.

Remember Vettel didn't need to win the race, he just needed to get through the start unscathed as that would have been the perfect time for him to be taken out.

The first thing Webber did was move right over alongside Vettel and it wasn't to squeeze him, just as he moved over to assist Vettel twice later on in the race.

F1yer wrote:

Vettel was behind two McLarens, he was never slipping away anywhere. You're crazy if you think Webber was trying to squeeze Vettel in front of his team and the watching world, he even pulled off the track later in the race to let Vettel through.

Fans just didn't understand what was going on. Vettel was at his most vulnerable at the start, Webber stayed alongside him to prevent a collision.

Last edited by Formula1Fan. on Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:03 am 

I haven't read this whole thread but just skimmed through it, seems many people are blaming Mark for not helping Seb at the start. Mark never said he was going to help Seb, in every interview he had before Brazil he said he was going to concentrate on his own race and get the best possible result he can, why are people blaming him for not doing something he said he was never going to do? If anything I was surprised to see Webber move aside for Vettel later in the race, but that was more critical at the time as Vettel was a long way off a reasonable result at that stage to secure the championship.

Podiums: 5
2014 Championship Standing: *mumble*

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:11 am 

Misinformed wrote:
It's bothersome the way people are constantly saying that Webber had to do this, and Webber had to do that. Those are not particularly things he had to do, but rather things you all wanted him to do.

No, that's what he should have done. He opened up a gap for both the Ferrari's and Hulkenberg. Granted he couldn't have fended all of them off, but I am quite sure he could at least have kept Hulkenberg behind while Vettel would have gone through.

Quote:
Drivers cannot afford to constantly be looking in their mirrors going into turn 1, trying to find specific drivers to impede

No, that's true, so having a bad start he decided to go for the line he knew his team mate would take?

It wasn't a sensible thing to do. They are racing drivers, they can at least know this.

Quote:
On top of that, I don't understand why a teammate should have to show any regard for their teammate fighting for the world championship.

Well, that's quite the end of the discussion then really, isn't it?

But I'll try one more time: the team wants to win the WDC (possibly even more than the WDC). The team pays the drivers. That's a very sound reason for a driver to act in the best interest of the team. Especially when Webber isn't treated as a lap dog and he gets enough chances to win races with a great car.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:52 am 

Crikey.
Well it's obvious where my allegiance lies, and I'm not going to join in the tit for tat, but it really shows that whilst the SV fans accuse us of blindly following our man, all they manage to show is that they have the same superior attitude as SV himself.
I've never known a bunch of people who are so blindly ignorant to facts and that whatever Seb does is right and whatever anyone else does is wrong, and whatever they say is right and whatever anyone else says is wrong.
I am in awe of their ability to interpret a Grand Prix from their sofa, and their in depth knowledge of how to drive an F1 car and a Grand Prix. Respect.
Not.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:22 am 

It has nothing to do with feeling superior. Had it been exactly the other way around, I would have found it stupid of Vettel to behave like that. Just like I found it clever and applauded Ferrari for it when they broke Massa's seal in Austin - compromising a possible exciting result for Massa to give Alonso any help he could.

For me it's just common sense. I don't really get how you translate that to me feeling superior.

Quote:
I am in awe of their ability to interpret a Grand Prix from their sofa, and their in depth knowledge of how to drive an F1 car and a Grand Prix.

Ah great, that was one "argument" that wasn't brought into the discussion yet.
This is not an argument, it doesn't invalidate a proper discussion, and I'm glad for that because if it would, a lot of interesting discussions about F1 would be invalidated.

edit: forgot to mention: I actually like Mark a lot. I just think he got the start dead wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:24 pm 

zoomsthru wrote:
I must add that from Red Bull's point of view, Webber is the perfect teammate for Sebastian - he's very quick and can challenge Seb to raise his game, and bags plenty of points for the constructors championship, but is too inconsistent to be a championship threat (except if he has much better reliability, as in 2010). To me, this is still a better situation than at McLaren and Ferrari -
McLaren: The drivers are too competitive and can take massive points off each other. Good for the constructors title, not the best for the drivers' championship.
Ferrari: Massa (at least the 2011 - Sep 2012 version) is too uncompetitive. If he begins 2013 like he ended 2012, this will look like another Jenson-Lewis partnership.

Webber is good for pushing Vettel - I agree but when help is required he lacks teh certain attitude and he cant bring himself to give out help 100% .

i understand this coz its not easy especially from someone who is competetive and probbaly thinks he is better than the person he is helping - but from RBRs view point its a weakness and even other teams have taken note that Webber wont help with 100% commitment.

With regards to McLaren drivers being more competetive than webber - I can only LOL. Webber is faster than Button and that s the reason he is in any position to help Vettel. Same is not true of Button

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:36 pm 

Webber will fight harder than Massa in my opinion to not be classed as a second driver. Massa has been the 'second driver' at Ferrari for a while now, excluding the year he very nearly won. Despite Webber losing out to Vettel for 3 consecutive years, I think he would rather drive his own race as much as he could until he has now choice than to concede. Plus, he knows that if he doesn't perform to his best 100% of the time, he may lose his race seat. I'm sure there are a lot of drivers who would like to have his seat...The same would go for Massa, but Ferrari know they can also use him as a rear gunner, which isn't good for Massa.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:57 am 

MikeyMoos67 wrote:
Crikey.
Well it's obvious where my allegiance lies, and I'm not going to join in the tit for tat, but it really shows that whilst the SV fans accuse us of blindly following our man, all they manage to show is that they have the same superior attitude as SV himself.
I've never known a bunch of people who are so blindly ignorant to facts and that whatever Seb does is right and whatever anyone else does is wrong, and whatever they say is right and whatever anyone else says is wrong.
I am in awe of their ability to interpret a Grand Prix from their sofa, and their in depth knowledge of how to drive an F1 car and a Grand Prix. Respect.
Not.

Nice sofa you got there, man.