planetf1.com

It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:35 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: BBC Coverage in 2013?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:21 pm 

Has there been any announcement of what the BBC Live coverage is going to be next year?

I only ask because Jake said something near the end of the broadcast, just before moving to the F1 forum. I though I might be hallucinating (nearly 2 hours of shouting at the TV can do that), but I just check the DVR, and I heard correctly.

Jake said “And we return, next year, the 2013 season will be live all of the way through” while voicing over a graphic with the date of the Australian GP and a tagline underneath that said that said “The whole season on the BBC”.

So I wonder, is there any chance that the half-the-races-on-FTA deal with SKY was a one year only deal (to get SKY a foothold in the market), or is Jake just talking nonsense?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:25 pm 

Talking nonsense I would think

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:34 pm 

I'm sure I've heard it too. I also doubted if I understood right, but now I'm sure.

Could still be joke or something.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:34 pm 

I have heard all races are going to be live but it could be rubbish on twitter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:42 pm 

There's been no big hoo ha from the Beeb so I would doubt it.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:48 pm 

All races on the bbc is probably the same as this year, with all the races but some are just highlights......

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:49 pm 

I doubt it, I don't know how or why the BBC would go from showing half them live this year, to the full bunch next year. Especially when they're loosing their lead presenter. I also doubt SKY would let them have full access to every race live and on free TV.

Forza Alonso

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:22 pm 

Serveral things could have happened here.

Sky have realised they're never going to make the numbers to make it viable so have done some sort of deal with BBC for live races and extra content on sky - can't imagine no one would have told us about it.
Bernie's realised splitting the rights has lost him viewers, teams and sponsors are unhappy so has done a deal to get it back live on BBC. - Possible.
The 10 race rights share was only for the first year and the BBC get live races from 2013. Surely a big deal would have been made about this when the deal was done?

Or
Jake cocked up the standard 2012 "see all the races here on the BBC" - Most likely.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:43 pm 

dannyjames8 wrote:
All races on the bbc is probably the same as this year, with all the races but some are just highlights......

No no no no, its "Extended" highlights :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:46 pm 

Seanie wrote:

Sky have realised they're never going to make the numbers to make it viable so have done some sort of deal with BBC for live races and extra content on sky - can't imagine no one would have told us about it.
Bernie's realised splitting the rights has lost him viewers, teams and sponsors are unhappy so has done a deal to get it back live on BBC. - Possible.
The 10 race rights share was only for the first year and the BBC get live races from 2013. Surely a big deal would have been made about this when the deal was done?

Or
Jake cocked up the standard 2012 "see all the races here on the BBC" - Most likely.

Just a thought - it may actually work out cheaper for BBC to license the commentary from Sky, or even the whole program so long as they agree to, say put it on a non-primary channel (e.g BBC 3 or 4). Highly unlikely I know, but certainly might be an option.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:47 pm 

RickM wrote:
Seanie wrote:

Or

Just a thought - it may actually work out cheaper for BBC to license the commentary from Sky, or even the whole program so long as they agree to, say put it on a non-primary channel (e.g BBC 3 or 4). Highly unlikely I know, but certainly might be an option.

haha, if only we were negotiating the deals.

But I believe BBC3/4 can't broadcast in certain hours because other services use the digital signal I believe.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:59 pm 

Seanie wrote:
But I believe BBC3/4 can't broadcast in certain hours because other services use the digital signal I believe.

They share the frequency with the kiddies' channels CBBC and CBeebies. Fortunately, children have even less influence on the BBC than F1 fans (if that's even possible!)

There is also 301 where the P1-3 are shown.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:01 pm 

Unpopular opinion: If it does all go back to the BBC, I hope Martin Brundle isn't part of the package. :uhoh: I'm liking David Coulthard a lot better.

Nae chance son... It'll be the 10 races as per this year.

Seanie wrote:

Or

You will get to see all the races on the BBC in 2013, just not all in their entirety and not all live.

It would be nice to see the list of what they have and don't though, there's 19 races at the moment and they can't have 9.5 races live so I'm assuming it's 10, but which 10?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:11 pm 

He was prob just referring to the first race.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:19 pm 

ferrar1sta wrote:
Unpopular opinion: If it does all go back to the BBC, I hope Martin Brundle isn't part of the package. :uhoh: I'm liking David Coulthard a lot better.

I like Brundle but Coulthard has more current knowledge of the cars as they are today, having raced as recently as 2008. I like Brundle as I said and respect his knowledge (I would like him to not criticise Michael Schumacher as much, but he's retired once again now), but he last raced in 1996, not so recent. This is reflected somewhat in the commentary obviously, and DC has the edge here.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:25 pm 

ferrar1sta wrote:

It wont go back to the BBC in full - not in a million years.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:40 pm 

When the BBC talk about 'live coverage', don't they include the races on Radio 5 Live? I imagine that's what was referred to.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:20 pm 

seanox wrote:
When the BBC talk about 'live coverage', don't they include the races on Radio 5 Live? I imagine that's what was referred to.

and "Live text commentary on the BBC Sport website"!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:04 pm 

So much for the rumours of all races live.

Quote:
Andrew Benson ‏@andrewbensonf1

BBC live races also revealed - China, Spain, Canada, TBA race, Belgium, Italy, Japan, India and Brazil. All other races extended higlights

How odd they haven't confirmed their home GP :/

Edit seems Benson is as bad a twitter as he is journalism :P

Last edited by Johnston on Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:05 pm 

The BBC also confirms that it will show the following Grands Prix live on television in 2013:

China: 14 April

Spain: 12 May

Canada: 9 June

Great Britain: 30 June

TBA*: 21 July

Belgium: 25 August

Italy: 8 September

Japan: 13 October

India: 27 October

Brazil: 24 November

In addition to those races live on TV, there will be extended highlights coverage of the remaining ten races. All 20 races will be live on BBC Radio 5 live or 5 live sports extra.

No Monaco!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:07 pm 

No Australia, no Monaco? That's strange.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:07 pm 

They didn't have Oz last year.

Did they do Monaco?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:09 pm 

Johnston wrote:

Did they do Monaco?

Yes

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:19 pm 

Johnston wrote:

Did they do Monaco?

You're probably right. I watched Oz at SkyS but I assumed they'd pick the first race of the year.

They had Monaco last year. The forum was pretty good as well.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:32 pm 

Suzi Perry to be main presenter also. Much nicer to look at than squinty man!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:32 pm 

I'd much rather have Canada than Monaco next year. They seemed to have gotten rid of some of the snooze-fests, like Singapore, Monaco*. Shame Austin is't on there, but you can't have everything (if you're a beeb viewer)

*Disclaimer: Not saying they don't produce exciting races, they just most of the time produce quite dull processional races.
(E.g. Valencia)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:10 pm 

I thought everyone was saying Coulthard and Eddie wouldn't be on the BBC next year, but it seems like they are staying?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:50 pm 

Link to the announcement about Perry: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/20812990

Nothing has been said about who else will be in the lineup, so we still dont know about Eddie and DC. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see DC go to Sky however. Eddie will probably carry on at the BBC.

I cant however see the coverage being any better at the BBC, regardless of who fronts it.

Live Grands Prix:
China, 14 April
Spain, 12 May
Canada, 9 June
Silverstone, 30 June
TBA*, 21 July
Belgium, 25 August
Italy, 8 September
Japan, 13 October
India, 27 October
Brazil, 24 November
* venue yet to be confirmed by Formula One Management

One things for sure. I wont be watching their crap coverage. Sky all the way.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:20 pm 

Still be sticking with the beeb when they have live coverage, outside of Brundle and Croft I can't bare to listen to anyone Sky use on their show

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:28 pm 

Try sky it's much better n u get to see all races live !

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:23 pm 

Perry is useless - she fronts a Channel Five show and to axe Monaco is bewildering.

Bye bye BBC, it is Sky or nothing for me next season.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:54 pm 

I can't believe for the second season in a row they are dropping the first round. :?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:43 pm 

Perry is great, will be much better with her, best presenter for BBC so far for F1 coverage, far better than the other forced faced others.

However seems everything else is going downhill.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:44 pm 

Get used to this, folks. Each year the BBC will have less and less, and power will transfer more and more to Sky. I saw someone debating on Twitter earlier whether Sky will let the BBC have another race if "TBC" doesn't happen. Yeah... can't see that happening.

Ignoring all the politics of Murdoch etc, in my opinion the Sky F1 broadcast is far superior to the BBC's, however I'd much rather have seen that same quality that we receive on Sky broadcast on Channel 4, as was reportedly proposed.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:16 pm 

To be honest I'm surprised the BBC is even continuing with coverage in 2013, I fully expect them to be gone from the sport by 2015.

This year's measly raise is going on next year's Sky box... :nod:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:23 pm 

Great. Sky refuses to work at uni - signal's too weak. So now I'm stuck with even less F1. all hail the mods brilliant move there Bernie, well done...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:33 pm 

Tufty wrote:
Great. Sky refuses to work at uni - signal's too weak. So now I'm stuck with even less F1. all hail the mods brilliant move there Bernie, well done...

Come on, I don't like it being on Sky any more than you by the sounds of things, but Bernie can't control where your satellite is placed or the quality of the signal! If the signal is too weak for you to get proper reception and Sky don't get their backsides in gear to come and fix it, just cancel the debit at the bank, ignore their requests for any termination fees. You are probably covered so long as you really can't get a picture...sure there will be something about this on a consumer forums website from others who have experienced the same.

The underlying thing about all this,no matter how bright you are,no matter how logical one is or how much money one has,you have to be a completely stupid optimist...I believe there are about 3 million competition licences worldwide. -Perry McCarthy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:46 pm 

hittheapex wrote:
Tufty wrote:

Come on, I don't like it being on Sky any more than you by the sounds of things, but Bernie can't control where your satellite is placed or the quality of the signal! If the signal is too weak for you to get proper reception and Sky don't get their backsides in gear to come and fix it, just cancel the debit at the bank, ignore their requests for any termination fees. You are probably covered so long as you really can't get a picture...sure there will be something about this on a consumer forums website from others who have experienced the same.

It's Sky Go that won't work, so not a satellite issue - for some reason internet that is perfectly happy to stream TV isn't capable of streaming Sky. On the numerous occasions I have asked them why this is I've had either no reply or been told to go to my internet provider - who we've proven have no problem by the fact that any other channel I want works perfectly fine.

There are people who simply can't afford Sky as well that Bernie is screwing here by letting non-FTA channels take F1 from the masses, I'm simply putting forward the case I know the best.