planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:27 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:54 pm 

lamo wrote:

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: This actually had me laughing! Out loud. On my own.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:57 pm 

Don't dis my paint skills :-)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:01 pm 

Apologies if this has already been posted - but I thought it was a good run-down of why the move was a-ok.

http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/new ... rand-Prix-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:05 pm 

Azi wrote:
Apologies if this has already been posted - but I thought it was a good run-down of why the move was a-ok.

http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/new ... rand-Prix-

:thumbup:
the end.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:12 pm 

mds wrote:
What do the rules dictate when a driver goes off the throttle that obviously?

I believe the precedent is Senna in 1993 also at Brazil. They give the driver a penalty and he takes it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:07 pm 

Newsflash: Bernie and Alonso agree on labelling post season finale meddling a "joke"!

As it happened, Autosport's recent report on Bernie's musings provided a link to 2007 in an accompanying context menu - quotes:

2012: Bernie on latest post season finale hubbub: "Vettel pass furore a complete joke."

2007: Alonso on the prospect of RAI:s WDC being overturned post season finale: "It would be a joke, and we've had too many already. If something like that happened, it would end up burying the sport."

>>Canned laughter: ON. Canned applause: ON<<

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:18 am 

flyboy10 wrote:
mds wrote:
What do the rules dictate when a driver goes off the throttle that obviously?

I believe the precedent is Senna in 1993 also at Brazil. They give the driver a penalty and he takes it.

Not sure about that.

In the meantime we've had the Hamilton-Trulli matter in 2009. Trulli went off the track under Safety Car and Hamilton overtook him. Trulli then took the place back. The stewards questioned whether Hamilton had deliberately slowed down to encourage Trulli to take the place back and he answered 'no'. When it was discovered that he had in fact done that, Trulli's penalty was reverted. So the stewards did take into account whether the car in front was going slowly/obviously off-throttle. Now that's a Safety Car, but the principle is certainly transferable, and it's arguable that they would be stricter under Safety Car than under yellows.

There is definitely logic to them allowing a car to overtake another under yellows if the car ahead is appearing to go slowly and encouraging them to overtake and gets off the racing line. Otherwise we'd have a situation where a driver could deliberately hold others up under yellows or if they had a problem people would have to trundle around after them until they either passed the yellow zone or made it to the pits.

In contrast in Hungary 2006 Schumacher was penalised for overtaking a slow-moving Alonso when a red flag was brought out during practice. However, a red flag is a different circumstance.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:33 am 

toilet wrote:
My god, this thread is the perfect example of why I made a conscious decision to drastically reduce my activity on this forum. Smashing your head against a brick wall doesn't quite cover it.

Seb passed JEV after he passed a green flag (a green flag that is for everyone on track, if someone is coming out of the pit lane while a car is coming along on track, that marshal does display a blue flag), and before he passed any other yellow flags/lights, even though the light board up the end of the straight is actually a green light.

That map only shows sector delineation that correlates to where the light boards are positioned, marshals' posts are more frequent. If you're not meant to follow their instructions, what's the point of them waiving flags?

And the dash lights also correlate to the positioning of the light boards, so don't change passing a manual indicator (waiving flag), regardless, officially they are irrelevant.

Long and short, Seb's done nothing wrong in this race.

Even the FIA, who admittedly are slightly less than reputable when it comes to such things, have said that there is no case to answer.

But it doesn't matter anyway. As someone mentioned a while ago, forever more ignorant people (for that read "most people who aren't hardcore fans") will, when discussing Vettel, insist "ah! But he didn't actually win that 3rd title".

Some well meaning person posted a youtube video clearing up issues raised by the TV, thought they'd found a genuine breach of the rules, but they got it wrong, like the TV had, they missed the crucial piece of evidence. The world and his wife jumped on this conspiracy theory bandwagon, Ferrari added a little touch to it, only a wee hint, but just enough to encourage the speculation. And that's all the majority of people will ever remember.

This thread shows that even some people who are big enough fans to use an F1 forum can't understand the facts of the situation, let alone the rest of the world. Shame.

I agree, that poor dead horse has now been beaten into some kind of brown paste. Folks, it's over, the only issue resides between the ears. The FIA have come out very clearly on the matter, it's not illegal.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:31 am 

"Well done Seb. Fantastic job, great drive."

- 2014 Championship leader (post-Austria)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:29 am 

I agree with Ecclestone that the appeal is a complete joke. Sore losers, I hope they go on for many more years without any championships.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:30 am 

Ferrari finally concede that Vettel overtook legally but now they are planning another appeal :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:31 am 

Given that there are still people moaning about the 2008 Brazilian Grand Prix who don't seem to understand the correllation between rain and a corresponding lack of grip on an incline, I'm not surprised that this thread is still raging less than 24 hours after the FIA have confirmed the legality of Vettel's pass.

The "fans" who have blindly sought to undermine Vettel without hesitation without letting the trivial matters of fact and the truth get in the way won't be stopped by something as inconsequential as an FIA ruling. They will still be harping on about this when Vettel wins his 5th world championship and Alonso has retired.

The underlying thing about all this,no matter how bright you are,no matter how logical one is or how much money one has,you have to be a completely stupid optimist...I believe there are about 3 million competition licences worldwide. -Perry McCarthy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:46 am 

superuser wrote:
Ferrari finally concede that Vettel overtook legally but now they are planning another appeal :lol:

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:06 am 

superuser wrote:

Haha I laughed so hard

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:38 am 

[quote="superuser"]Ferrari finally concede that Vettel overtook legally but now they are planning another appeal :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ... wonderful!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:42 am 

There has to be a definite end to every race. Far as I'm concerned, the race classification should be decided before the podium ceremony. Whatever protests there are have to come in within 5 minutes of the race ending, all the rulings obtained within the next 5-10 minutes, and egregious protests should be noted and stewards be given the latitude to deduct constructor points. This is insane. There is no other major sporting event I am aware of that remains undecided when the lights go off.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:53 am 

Iowa'sOnlyF1Viewer wrote:
There has to be a definite end to every race. Far as I'm concerned, the race classification should be decided before the podium ceremony. Whatever protests there are have to come in within 5 minutes of the race ending, all the rulings obtained within the next 5-10 minutes, and egregious protests should be noted and stewards be given the latitude to deduct constructor points. This is insane. There is no other major sporting event I am aware of that remains undecided when the lights go off.

Bernie said that by the time Ferrari made the appeal, the deadline for race protests had already gone by.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:01 am 

Covalent wrote:

Bernie said that by the time Ferrari made the appeal, the deadline for race protests had already gone by.

True, but the FIA has the right to change the race classification until the end of November even if no protest is filed. Besides, when there is a podium ceremony (which is for the benefit of the fans), it would be nice if it had some final meaning.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:21 am 

Covalent wrote:

True, but the FIA has the right to change the race classification until the end of November even if no protest is filed. Besides, when there is a podium ceremony (which is for the benefit of the fans), it would be nice if it had some final meaning.

Brazil 2003 come into mind, wouldn't have been right towards Fisichella if Kimi had got that win.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:34 am 

Covalent wrote:
Covalent wrote:

Brazil 2003 come into mind, wouldn't have been right towards Fisichella if Kimi had got that win.

I know where you're coming from, don't get me wrong. But races are events, and they have to end. And in a timely fashion, so that people who watch them will watch again. I'm reminded of LeBron's foul on KD in game 2 of the finals, a recent example. Who knows, the right call could have changed everything. Still, this is life and we accept that LeBron and his team won and no hard feelings mostly.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:13 am 

Covalent wrote:

Instead, we had the ridiculous situation of a driver who was out of the race when the race ended (the engine in Fisi's Jordan had expired prior to the chequered flag being shown) being declared the winner.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:48 am 

Location: Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
superuser wrote:

Don't laugh, I've just seen a clip of some Fox News psychopath who's adamant Obama is waging a war on Christmas with the help of the world's atheists... because they're so unhappy and they want everyone else to be.

of Alice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:49 am 

purchville wrote:
"Well done Seb. Fantastic job, great drive."

Looks like I'm alone but I thought this was funny.

of Alice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:51 am 

DarthVadar wrote:
tootsie323 wrote:
egnat69 wrote:
Ferrari. Logo - check
Brazil. Brazilian? - maybe.
Appeal. Mmm - check.
Uber..?

I Thinks we need this to calm everyone down!!!!!
:D

If I know this forum, that's not going to have a calming effect on many.

of Alice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:58 am 

The only remaining question I'd like to have answered is this: what is the evidence that there was a marshall waving a green flag and where did this information come from, and when?

I'm not stirring, but that's the only thing that I haven't seen adequately covered so far. Those arguing that Vettel passed after a green waving flag are of course assuming (despite no objective / visible evidence) that there was a green flag waving from the marshalls' post. Was it the FIA who said there was a marshall waving a green flag there (and how did they know if all their computerised info told them otherwise)? Did the marshall say he was waving a green flag? Or did Vettel say it?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:24 am 

domdonald wrote:
The only remaining question I'd like to have answered is this: what is the evidence that there was a marshall waving a green flag and where did this information come from, and when?

I'm not stirring, but that's the only thing that I haven't seen adequately covered so far. Those arguing that Vettel passed after a green waving flag are of course assuming (despite no objective / visible evidence) that there was a green flag waving from the marshalls' post. Was it the FIA who said there was a marshall waving a green flag there (and how did they know if all their computerised info told them otherwise)? Did the marshall say he was waving a green flag? Or did Vettel say it?

Seriously? The flag is seen on the onboard video from Vettel's car before the overtake. Do yourself a favor and please see the posts at the beginning of this thread before talking nonsense.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:30 am 

superuser wrote:

Genius. Love the rest of the world's quote.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:19 pm 

superuser wrote:
domdonald wrote:

Seriously? The flag is seen on the onboard video from Vettel's car before the overtake. Do yourself a favor and please see the posts at the beginning of this thread before talking nonsense.

Firstly, I'm not talking nonsense. Secondly, I'm not about to wade through 13 pages of tripe. Thirdly, the links to graphics which are apparenlty show a green flag no longer work. Fourthly, even if they did work, most people can't seem to be able to see it. So I'd like to see it with my own eyes. As yet I've not seen it.

So instead of being an *******, try being helpful and polite.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:29 pm 

I had a slowmotion gif, but it has been removed from the original location. Quite stupid I didn't save it on my disk.

But it was pretty visible.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:31 pm 

domdonald wrote:
superuser wrote:
domdonald wrote:

Firstly, I'm not talking nonsense. Secondly, I'm not about to wade through 13 pages of tripe. Thirdly, the links to graphics which are apparenlty show a green flag no longer work. Fourthly, even if they did work, most people can't seem to be able to see it. So I'd like to see it with my own eyes. As yet I've not seen it.

If you cared to quicky scan the thirteen pages of tripe, you'd find download links, GIFs that still work plus photos that show a green flag. If you can't be bothered to do that, you really expect people to trawl through the same thirteen pages and find them for you?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:43 pm 

phyz wrote:
domdonald wrote:
superuser wrote:
domdonald wrote:

If you cared to quicky scan the thirteen pages of tripe, you'd find download links, GIFs that still work plus photos that show a green flag. If you can't be bothered to do that, you really expect people to trawl through the same thirteen pages and find them for you?

Bravo with that.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:47 pm 

Well, I did scan through it and i still don't see the proof. The videos are inconclusive and only perhaps one or two people (the loudest and rudest, typically) claim to be able to see a green flag in the video). Correct me if I'm wrong, but the stills which have been linked only show the situation 1 lap before the incident? So if that is true, there is still no objective proof (not evidence) that the green flag was waving at that marshall's post at that time of the incident and my original question still stands: what is the original objective source of evidence used by the FIA which caused them to assert that there is no case to answer (and no grounds for any investigation)? Or is everyone assuming that becuase a green flag was waving the lap before, that it must have been the same flag a lap later?

If that's the case, then that's the answer to my question.

No need for any rudeness.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:51 pm 

domdonald wrote:

The FIA can see the green flag, other team owners can see the green flag, the majority of the people on here can see it but you can't so ergo there is no proof.

It is not hard really....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:54 pm 

domdonald wrote:
what is the original objective source of evidence used by the FIA which caused them to assert that there is no case to answer (and no grounds for any investigation)?

Their source would be camera's on the straight on lap 4 while Vettel was passing. It didn't show up on the world view, but I do think they have access to all footage from all camera's for the duration of the race.

For us, it was the slow-motion of Vettel on the straight, passing the green flag. It was pretty evident on that particular gif.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:18 pm 

Crazy_Ivan wrote:
domdonald wrote:

The FIA can see the green flag, other team owners can see the green flag, the majority of the people on here can see it but you can't so ergo there is no proof.

It is not hard really....

Oh for pete's sake.. some people's attitude on here. I'm not an idiot. I asked to be corrected if I was wrong, but from what others had written when posting this image before, it seemed that this was from the lap before the incident. Is that the case?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:38 pm 

Can't believe people are still arguing in favour of Ferrari...

Seriously, go home.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:40 pm 

Hope you're not talking to me? I'm not arguing in favour of anyone.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:45 pm 

domdonald wrote:
Oh for pete's sake.. some people's attitude on here. I'm not an idiot. I asked to be corrected if I was wrong, but from what others had written when posting this image before, it seemed that this was from the lap before the incident. Is that the case?

That is indeed the case. The same flag on the same location (but on lap 4) can be seen on the slowmotion footage I mentioned.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:52 pm 

Inappropriate post removed

Last edited by Consolidated on Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:57 pm 

thank you MDS.

It just bugs me that so many people on here are so rude and condescending, parading around these images as if they are 100% conclusive proof that there's no case to answer and spouting vitriol when anyone questions them, when the fact is that the images are not proof at all - although they do add to the circumstantial evidence. I understand that you could be easily convinced that the videos show a green flag, but only if you already accept that it is likely that the same flag is being waved on the following lap.

But for one to behave as if one is the owner of absolute truth and to write "/ thread" on the first page and to think that everyone else is an idiot, is, quite frankly, an idiot.