planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:14 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:09 pm 

Sorry it's a bit early yet, only 68 days to go and we already have the Melbourne practice thread too....

DDRS banned, platypus' no more, increased front wing scrutiny, and new rubber with squishy sidewalls, can't wait.

Countdown...

Jerez de La Frontera - 5th - 8th February

Circuit de Catalunya - 19th - 22nd February

Circuit de Catalunya - 28th February - 3rd March

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:16 pm 

I must go this year to one of the practices in Bcn. I keep thinking about it and then there's always something turns up (normally work) that makes me call it off. We'll see..

2011 Silverstone 1st
2012 Spa 1st
2012 Interlagos 3rd

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:17 pm 

I would love to go to Jerez one day

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:29 pm 

Given the rule for 2013 that DRS may only be used in practice and qualifying in the designated race-areas, do you think that will be policed in testing as well?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:37 pm 

rife_hypocricy wrote:

I would prefer Jerez also, but I can try and link some work trip to Bcn around testing days whereas Jerez I can't really find a decent excuse for going there other than the practice itself and I don't think that would quite cut it. :-P

2011 Silverstone 1st
2012 Spa 1st
2012 Interlagos 3rd

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:18 pm 

Misinformed wrote:
Given the rule for 2013 that DRS may only be used in practice and qualifying in the designated race-areas, do you think that will be policed in testing as well?

Looks like next year they will have two DRS zones at every race, where they can afford (i.e. not Monaco).
The FIA will restrict DRS in practice and qualifying, possibly including testing unless teams seek more straight-line data.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:40 pm 

Misinformed wrote:

I wouldn't have thought it'll be restricted in testing. There are pretty much no rules during tests other than 'dont crash into each other'.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:19 pm 

Sauber first to pass 2013 FIA crash tests :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:24 pm 

rife_hypocricy wrote:

Anyone else think they should go for the green and black livery? It'd stand out :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:33 pm 

I think green black would be good, alas though they aren't the most out going teams when it comes to liveries

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:37 pm 

Oh I dunno, this year's livery was pretty 'out there'... :S

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:09 pm 

Lotus38 wrote:
rife_hypocricy wrote:

I would prefer Jerez also, but I can try and link some work trip to Bcn around testing days whereas Jerez I can't really find a decent excuse for going there other than the practice itself and I don't think that would quite cut it. :-P

Jerez is a fantastic circuit I went there for MotoGP in April. Almost everywhere has a good hillside view to watch from, and if sit in the 'bowl' towards the end of the circuit (just before the F1 chicane) then you get a lot of viewing time. However, there are no roofs anywhere around the circuit, so when it rains there is almost no escape. We hid under some trees for a while, but in the end you just have to accept if you need to go anywhere you're getting wet! I couldn't recommend it highly enough otherwise though.

Oh, and good ol' Sauber getting in there nice and early!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:02 pm 

Misinformed wrote:

IMHO the teams can test whatever they want as long as it passes the crash-tests... i'm pretty sure there are no load-tests or anything else so they could probably run scary stuff at the winter-test and also FP1-3 ... however - i must admit it would be unwise to test stuff that will never make it through the tests ;)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:15 pm 

I'm curious, how do you guys manage your stays there. Are you staying in a hotel for those days or you have friends that live there? I'm very interested in heading out there for testing this year myself but trying to gather some more information.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:54 pm 

37 days to go!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:05 am 

jammin78 wrote:
rife_hypocricy wrote:

Anyone else think they should go for the green and black livery? It'd stand out :)

I usually lurk, but YES I WOULD LOVE TO SEE THAT SCHEME! I love Sauber. And I want Sauber-BMW come back to F1 someday...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:28 am 

I'm planning on going for the last test, February 28th - March 3rd. Which of the track offers a better experience? It's my first time going to these tracks and my first testing attendance. Any advice and information is welcomed.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:53 am 

cmr1990 wrote:
jammin78 wrote:
rife_hypocricy wrote:

I usually lurk, but YES I WOULD LOVE TO SEE THAT SCHEME! I love Sauber. And I want Sauber-BMW come back to F1 someday...

It would fit in with Monster Energy sponsorship (if they moved from Merc).

As for DRS, if I was a team principal, I would want to run some test stints with DRS unrestricted to see where performance lies in say balance and downforce and some restricted to the zones. In the case of Jerez we wouldn't know exactly where the FIA would place them on a race weekend, but for Catalunya we'd have a better idea.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:12 am 

Just friggin get rid of DRS altogether and let the drivers overtake normally.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:56 am 

Ev0lutionz wrote:

I guess you forget things over time but i do remember a period of time when seeing an overtake was a rare experience, who remembers the Trulli train? Qualify the car further up the grid then it should be then in the race keep faster cars behind you until the pitstops, i'm for cars being able to overtake rather than watching a procession.

2013: 5th Place

2014: Currently 1st

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:05 am 

pokerman wrote:
Ev0lutionz wrote:

I guess you forget things over time but i do remember a period of time when seeing an overtake was a rare experience, who remembers the Trulli train? Qualify the car further up the grid then it should be then in the race keep faster cars behind you until the pitstops, i'm for cars being able to overtake rather than watching a procession.

I remember that, but that was due to refueling i suppose? More races are being fought in the pits than on the track.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:19 am 

pokerman wrote:
Ev0lutionz wrote:

I remember that too :( . It was almost impossible for a car to overtake other than by making up enough time to come out in front after re-fuelling pit stops.

The Trulli train was a particular nightmare for anyone supporting another driver... To be fair, Trulli was an excellent qualifier, putting the car way above where it should be on the grid - but in the race he just held up the faster cars/drivers that were chasing the lead driver.

Admittedly, the rare overtake was far more special than nowadays - but even so, I prefer DRS enabling cars to overtake far more easily. Hopefully the race officials have now worked out the optimum DRS zones for great racing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:48 am 

Ev0lutionz wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Ev0lutionz wrote:

I remember that, but that was due to refueling i suppose? More races are being fought in the pits than on the track.

No it was because of the loss of front downforce when following another car through a corner, it was reckoned at the time that a F1 car needed to be over 2 seconds a lap faster than the car in front to be able to overtake it, thus at least 95% of the change of positions in the race occurred during the pitstops.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:41 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Ev0lutionz wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Ev0lutionz wrote:

No it was because of the loss of front downforce when following another car through a corner, it was reckoned at the time that a F1 car needed to be over 2 seconds a lap faster than the car in front to be able to overtake it, thus at least 95% of the change of positions in the race occurred during the pitstops.

Ah, was it because of the additional barge boards on the bodywork that forced the cars to switch to a simpler bodywork from 2009 onwards?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:43 pm 

Alonso to miss first test

http://en.espnf1.com/ferrari/motorsport ... 99200.html

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:54 pm 

Is anyone going to Barcelona for testing?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:25 pm 

Attending to the 2 set of tests in Barcelona, if anyone has some knowledge for the schedules, places to be close to the cars, good spot for taking pictures, or anything, please share with us :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:45 pm 

Ev0lutionz wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Ev0lutionz wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Ev0lutionz wrote:

Ah, was it because of the additional barge boards on the bodywork that forced the cars to switch to a simpler bodywork from 2009 onwards?

I'm not sure that made things any better, some increased overtaking in 2009 was by KERS cars against none KERS cars

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:51 am 

DJKIMI wrote:
Is anyone going to Barcelona for testing?

I'll be going to the final test in Barca.. Hotel near the track and flights were just under £250 for two people although probably gone up as I booked it three weeks ago. Tickets are apparently only ~€10 a day.. anyone been before and has tips?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:13 am 

Re: DRS

The thing about overtaking, for me, is that it should be treated like any commodity: The more of it there is the less value each unit has. I'd much rather see someone lining up an overtake for 10 or 15 laps before pulling it off than them just rocking up and DRSing past the other driver like two trucks on the A303.

Anyway... can't wait for testing, particularly in terms of seeing what Sky have to offer with their increased testing coverage.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:57 pm 

Jerez de La Frontera - 5th - 8th February

testing starts on tuesday, so any links to timing would be appreciated.

weather looks fair for the next few days with a high temps between 16°C and 20°C tuesday to friday...
http://local.msn.com/worldweather.aspx? ... &src=vista

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:27 pm 

rife_hypocricy wrote:
any links to timing would be appreciated.

I think it'll end up being a twitter job. You might find places like f1times and f1fanatic have something though.

Sky are doing a 15 minute nightly 'show' for each testing day, then some time in feb (15th?) the F1 show is back for a special testing show. I assume they will have some juicy shots of the cars and will pull out their 3D renders to show stuff off.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:31 pm 

Autosport had a live commentary thing last year I think ???

Edit: text commentary.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:33 pm 

BBC did commentary for each day of testing last year, should be the same for this year

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:47 am 

As for live timings don't Williams usually cover it on their site? I'm sure they did last year.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:04 am 

Robbo-92 wrote:
As for live timings don't Williams usually cover it on their site? I'm sure they did last year.

well remembered :D yes

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:20 am 

Robbo-92 wrote:

Ahh good point, they did!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:51 am 

Don't think it's been posted above, but those who are going/considering going to Barcelona, the tickets for testing are available to buy. Now, to spend €70 on a guided tour day test ticket or just the normal testing ticket..?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:12 am 

I'm going to the First BCN test, I got hotel in Central Barcelona and I'm going to get up really early and get the train up there, but I'll probably go to the 1st and 3rd test days.

Its €15 a day for tickets, that gets you to zones I, F, N, H and the main grandstand.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:51 am 

RickM wrote:
Misinformed wrote:

I wouldn't have thought it'll be restricted in testing. There are pretty much no rules during tests other than 'dont crash into each other'.

Yeah I'm sure DRS won't be restricted in testing, but seeing as it will be during the season, running around using it all the time would seem to a both a pointless and counter-productive exercise. Much better to use it as it will be used in the 'real stuff' and gather meaningful data.