planetf1.com

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:53 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:07 am 

Cozz wrote:
dizlexik wrote:
Anyone knows why Lotus completed only 27 laps?

They're testing different rear end and exhaust parts. Also they did test runs on the new chassis # built. They said they had some telemetry issues.

I believe the Lotus car was the most consistent on the first day. Kimi did 14 laps all 1.23s and below. No other driver got close to those numbers. Also, Kimi was the only driver that did 4 back to back laps all in the 1.23s between 1:23.609 and 1:23.945. That's a .336 gap from the fastest to the slowest. Even as slower speeds, no other driver was able to produce that kind of consistency.

:)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:09 am 

Lotus said they only had telemetry for a couple of laps at a time, and didn't want to risk damaging the brand new chassis due to lack of real time info.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:23 am 

nike2die4 wrote:
Mr-E wrote:
Grosjean wrote:
there is definitely something that happened in his life that made him that way, that is not normal

Rubbish. Have you ever been to Finland? And I don't mean that in a bad way you finnish members.

why do people keep saying this? i've not been to Finland but i know quite a few finnish people and i've never noticed this "boring" attitude in them...
Kimi just wants to eat his cake and have it at the same time,he doesn't like press,well suck it up and deal with their silly questions,it's just how many mins of his life which he gets paid for,i don't see the need for his boring condescending attitude towards the press.

Who said Kimi has a boring attitude? Out of all the drivers, I'm pretty sure Kimi makes other drivers look like they have a boring life.

You should take a bit of your own medicine, if you don't like Kimi's attitude then suck it up.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:01 am 

Cozz wrote:
nike2die4 wrote:
Mr-E wrote:
Grosjean wrote:
there is definitely something that happened in his life that made him that way, that is not normal

Rubbish. Have you ever been to Finland? And I don't mean that in a bad way you finnish members.

why do people keep saying this? i've not been to Finland but i know quite a few finnish people and i've never noticed this "boring" attitude in them...
Kimi just wants to eat his cake and have it at the same time,he doesn't like press,well suck it up and deal with their silly questions,it's just how many mins of his life which he gets paid for,i don't see the need for his boring condescending attitude towards the press.

Who said Kimi has a boring attitude? Out of all the drivers, I'm pretty sure Kimi makes other drivers look like they have a boring life.

You should take a bit of your own medicine, if you don't like Kimi's attitude then suck it up.

Am not the one taking millions then complaining about how boring it is.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:22 am 

Grosjean wrote:

Google some of his interviews you'll find a few where he talks about not liking the politics in F1. All he wants to do is drive. Thats all. Theres this story that I read sometime back, because when your in F1 you cant take part in any other race unless permitted by the team, Kimi took part in an snowmobile race wearing a bear suit under the name of James Hunt. You probably heard of his party antics. That doesnt look like a deeply traumatised person.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:32 am 

Grosjean wrote:

And what is normal? Smiling to anyone all the time like your username does?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:43 am 

egnat69 wrote:
Cozz wrote:
If the FIA has to change/update any directive then it's very, very relevant. Williams has found a way around the initial wording in the rules.

yes... but this isn't about the rules at all... it's about a technical directive that was issued by the FIA to prevent teams from building things like cones and channels outside the area defined by the rules... the closest i could find about the wording is:
Quote:
"that any exhaust designs that reingest or redirect exhaust flow for principally aerodynamic reasons will not be permitted."

so the rule states where the exhaust has to be and were bodywork must not be... besides that the TD states that teams aren't allowed to reingest or redirect exhaust flow with their exhaust designs...

coughlan is referring to aperture sizes and the need to be one aperture only - so he reckons that, due to the slot - it is still one aperture, which of course is absolutely right.. however it might very well be possible that the FIA declares the design to be redirecting the exhaust flow for aerodynamic reasons, thus being against that damn TD that i couldn't find anywhere since it has been sent out to the teams and not to us...

i know... quoting myself is kind of embarassing but it just makes it easier to follow up ;)

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/442587/FIA_tells_Williams_and_Caterham_exhausts_solution_illegal/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:52 am 

Br4d wrote:
Just watched him on sky, was like he doesn't want to be there. Lotus must dread it every time he mumbles to the cameras.

That doesn't make him the most boring person ever. Bored maybe, but boring I wouldn't know.

I've been in situations that I didn't like and probably looked like Kimi. Without the money, which means even worse!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:59 am 
1. This is the winter testing thread. Get back to the cars/times please.

2. If you want to talk about Kimi's personality he has his own thread for that. Move it there.

3. If this thread deviates off topic in such a light again we will start reprimanding members.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:00 am 

ashley313 wrote:
Mr-E wrote:

Oh good.. We thought you might have fallen asleep painting your RBR nail design or baking RBR cakes. :D ;)

I have a confession to make. I had completely forgotten that my nails were the wrong colors until I read this post. I had planned to do them yesterday but since it was a holiday here I was all "I'm doing NOTHING! today" and forgot. So I'm sitting at my desk a moment ago, looking at the slightly chipped pinky nail, thinking about what RBR nailivery I should do when I get home, when it dawns on me that the current colors - which I arbitrarily chose NOT for racing reasons - are in fact...Mercedes F1 colors. Nico was P1 today because of my forgetfulness :( Probably caused Lewis' Top Gear lap time too.

Nevermind that this is a picture of a picture of my grandfather serving a monkey in his restaurant, look at my nails and imagine that in real life they are just slightly more blue, and that I somehow...subconsciously...Merc'd my nails :(

Its test day test time. I can either go RBR, Sauber, Ferrari, Williams, Caterham, Marussia, Force India, or McLaren nailivery tonight. You guys pick, and we'll see if that team is fastest tomorrow Image Image

Ashley. Ferrari red please :]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:18 am 

Mod_Blue wrote:
1. This is the winter testing thread. Get back to the cars/times please.

2. If you want to talk about Kimi's personality he has his own thread for that. Move it there.

3. If this thread deviates off topic in such a light again we will start reprimanding members.

Thank you.

Apologies mods, I started writing without realising which thread I was in.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:17 am 

Am having to look on my phone today not got that live timing site address on here can someone post me the link pls.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:18 am 

A2jdl wrote:
Am having to look on my phone today not got that live timing site address on here can someone post me the link pls.

http://f1tests.info/2013.php?rev=on

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:19 am 

Lewis goes fastest! sweeeeeeeeeet!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:23 am 

flyer wrote:
Can't understand what Alonso's talking about, saying the tires are only good for 1 lap of testing -- sure they fall off, but when they're racing that's how it will be most of the time, so how is that useless for testing?

Maybe he's let slip that Ferrari is focusing mostly on improving qualifying performance, not race pace.

Because when you are testing and gathering data you want things as consistent as possible so the data gained is accurate for comparison.

Things changing after one lap isn't consistent so the data isn't as accurate for comparison. The tyres are just another variable they would rather didn't happen. It brings the "Was it the tyres or the set up change?" into the equation.

Obviously that all changes when they go from Data gathering mode to race sim mode etc.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:27 am 

flyer wrote:
Can't understand what Alonso's talking about, saying the tires are only good for 1 lap of testing -- sure they fall off, but when they're racing that's how it will be most of the time, so how is that useless for testing?

Maybe he's let slip that Ferrari is focusing mostly on improving qualifying performance, not race pace.

When doing aero work, you need a consistent output from your car.
These tyres loose their peak performance soon, and keep degrading over laps. In races it is a good thing. But for testing it can be bad. There are times when you dont want to see real world racing performance of the car but want to evaluate one particular part. Say wanting to see how flow over wing is working through high speed corner. Or how the weight is shifting, how suspension is reacting etc etc. But when tyre characteristics are changing too quickly, it can be difficult to evaluate it over say 5-10 laps as you cannot do that same corner at same speed just couple of laps down.
Maybe it will be good idea to give teams couple of sets of more durable compound for testing alone for each day which they can use for aero work or evaluation work. But it will probably be too expensive to develop such compound for testing alone for Pirelli.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:34 am 

mds wrote:
A2jdl wrote:

http://f1tests.info/2013.php?rev=on

Cheers :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:58 am 

Hamilton goes quickest with a 1,23.2 on the hard tyres.

Last edited by Clarky on Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:07 am 

SteveC84 wrote:

Quickest we have seen this test.

Vettel posted a 1:23.046 on the hards yesterday morning.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:09 am 

Any idea about what Lotus is upto?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:11 am 

mds wrote:
SteveC84 wrote:

My mistake.

Forgot they set 1,22 yesterday.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:18 am 

Vettel does a 1,23.0 on the medium tyre

Last edited by Clarky on Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:18 am 

speedster_sid wrote:
Any idea about what Lotus is upto?

changing the gearbox.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:24 am 

SteveC84 wrote:
mds wrote:
SteveC84 wrote:

My mistake.

Forgot they set 1,22 yesterday.

Oh, I thought you meant Hamiltons time was the fastest on hards up until now. Since Vettel improved on his time yesterday afternoon on softer tyres, his time on hards isn't recorded in the overview stats and thus it would be easy to make that small mistake.

Overall best was indeed 1:22.6 by Rosberg.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:37 am 

Vettel does a 1,22.2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:41 am 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:42 am 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:46 am 

Hamilton still running the hard tyre. Both Alonso and Vettel the medium I believe.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:23 am 

Perez goes second with a 1,22.7 on the soft tyre.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:24 am 

That didn't last long. Hamilton, still running on hards, reclaims second with a 1m22.726s.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:39 am 

ashley313 wrote:
Mr-E wrote:

Oh good.. We thought you might have fallen asleep painting your RBR nail design or baking RBR cakes. :D ;)

I have a confession to make. I had completely forgotten that my nails were the wrong colors until I read this post. I had planned to do them yesterday but since it was a holiday here I was all "I'm doing NOTHING! today" and forgot. So I'm sitting at my desk a moment ago, looking at the slightly chipped pinky nail, thinking about what RBR nailivery I should do when I get home, when it dawns on me that the current colors - which I arbitrarily chose NOT for racing reasons - are in fact...Mercedes F1 colors. Nico was P1 today because of my forgetfulness :( Probably caused Lewis' Top Gear lap time too.

Nevermind that this is a picture of a picture of my grandfather serving a monkey in his restaurant, look at my nails and imagine that in real life they are just slightly more blue, and that I somehow...subconsciously...Merc'd my nails :(

Its test day test time. I can either go RBR, Sauber, Ferrari, Williams, Caterham, Marussia, Force India, or McLaren nailivery tonight. You guys pick, and we'll see if that team is fastest tomorrow Image Image

I thought before Ashley was a male. Lol.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:21 pm 

I can't believe Lotus doesn't have a back up transmission. Word is they're rebuilding it.

Management wise, they're still a mid level team.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:22 pm 

Any conclusions from this morning - aprt from the obvious RB being quick but on a medium tyre

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:25 pm 

Adit N. wrote:
ashley313 wrote:
Mr-E wrote:

I thought before Ashley was a male. Lol.

I'm having troubles relating those nails to the kind of posts Ashley makes.
I don't mean that in a bad way, so please don't take offence Ashley :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:43 pm 

Uffman wrote:

8O Oooooooo, er, I'm just going to the bathroom :blush: :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:10 pm 

so with all that secrecy going on in spain i am curious: can teams just put one small new part on the car at a time and assess the part itself and - from the gathered data - make predictions on how the part will work with the final package?

i'm pretty sure the top teams won't show their big guns before the 3rd round of testing but they will have to do some evaluation before - kind of a safehouse-plan...

i'm a bit confused here becaus adrian newey once stated that, if you change a small part at the rear you have to start over from the front of the car, since that's where the airflow comes from - now how could a team assess parts at the rear without changing nose/front-wings?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:24 pm 

Seems vettel did his lap on softs.

andrewbensonf1: Vettel fastest by 0.529secs on day 2 morning. Time set on a series of one-lap runs on soft tyres. Hamilton 2nd on hards. 3. Perez; 4. Alonso

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:27 pm 

Why hasn't Alonso done many laps then ?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:30 pm 

Whats Merc at? Back to Periscopes :? :?

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:31 pm 

andrewinwork wrote:
Any conclusions from this morning - aprt from the obvious RB being quick but on a medium tyre

Mercedes perhaps don't look too bad

2013: 5th Place

2014: Currently 3rd