planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:56 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:21 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EJ0N7rqsRQ

This vid clearly demonstrate why Shumy was faster than anyone else as said by drivers who knew him well..

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:53 pm 

Yes.

Can also clearly be seen by his 7 world championships and other records

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:57 pm 

Based on the video :

1 - Schumi brake earlier before taking corner
2 - Schumi made constant correction while taking corner
3 - Schumi push throttle earlier after taking corner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:04 pm 

As people get older, the courage fades and reaction times slow down. 2 prudent things for a good f1 driver. It probably wouldn't have been a problem if he was engaged in some form of motorsport and kept in touch with his abilities.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:18 pm 

I still have somewhere the article from that magazine, comparing his telemetry with Rubens's. I wish there was a way to share it here

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:50 pm 

SchumieRules wrote:
I still have somewhere the article from that magazine, comparing his telemetry with Rubens's. I wish there was a way to share it here

Is it a 2004 F1Racing issue? I have it... it was a very interesting read.

4) Lauda
5) Brabham

if you don't like it, too bad! There's a reason why it says "My Top 5"

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:56 pm 

garagetinkerer wrote:
SchumieRules wrote:

Is it a 2004 F1Racing issue? I have it... it was a very interesting read.

Yes, I think that's the one. Great read

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:09 pm 

The cars change every year and with it, so does the driving style required to get the most out of it.

Most people are very good at learning new things and making them 'instinctive' when they are young but that ability fades as you get older. That's another reason why drivers struggle in their late 30s and early 40s. The cars change and many of the driving styles are counter-intuitive to their early career. It happened with clutches and manual shifts, left foot braking, ground effect cars etc. The older drivers found it harder to become instinctive at driving new machinery compared to younger guys who had less to 'unlearn'.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:15 pm 

People are missing a big important factor, he was superfit alot more fit than any other driver on the circuit.

This with his raw speed gave him the edge.

Obviously as drivers came in and also had raw speed and fitness he resorting to cheating.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:21 pm 

Ja'a wrote:
Based on the video :

1 - Schumi brake earlier before taking corner
2 - Schumi made constant correction while taking corner
3 - Schumi push throttle earlier after taking corner

Schumi braked later. He lifted earlier through Bridge, but braked later in the following corner.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:58 pm 

I remember reading somewhere, or perhaps seeing on some F1 programme, they said that Schumacher developed a lot of techniques which other drivers later picked up but for a long time gave him a huge benefit because he was the only one driving in that style. Current F1 drivers have all inherited or adapted those techniques so it puts them on a level playing field and when factoring in things like his age it explains why he no longer has such an edge over other drivers.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:53 pm 

A good video, one I've seen a few times before. I also thought, however, that the comparison between Schumi and Herbert was massively unfair considering Herbert's legs were badly damaged when he had that horrific accident at Brands in 88. Herbert always had trouble being consistent with his brake/throttle application from then on.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:56 pm 

SchumieRules wrote:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/36634684/Schu ... arrichello

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:48 pm 

That's all pretty basic SLOW-IN/FAST-OUT racing technique.

As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:15 am 

http://abulafiaf1.wordpress.com/2012/03/14/driving-styles-part-b-more-thoughts-and-michael-schumacher/
This is a very interesting read. It tells us how Schumacher was able to enter the corner fast, and then straighten his car much earlier to get a better exit. As said before he was on the throttle constantly to steer the car.

Fernando Alonso
Pastor Maldonado
Sergio Perez
Michael Schumacher
Lewis Hamilton

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:34 am 

It's quote shocking that Rubens was (is?) a right foot braker. No wonder he couldn't keep up with Schumacher. A driver has no business braking with his right foot in a car without a clutch pedal. The time lost switching between throttle and brake is a pure waste. Also, it reduces a driver's ability to make yaw adjustments by using the gas pedal unless he's doing the cumbersome and less precise heel-and-toe.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:53 am 

Schumacher has stated that one of his strengths is that he watches other drivers, and quickly learns what to do, and what not to do. And his technique quickly reminds me of Kenny Roberts, who revolutionized motorcycle Grand Prix racing with his unique technique.

Quote:
The motorcycle technology of the late 1970s featured engines with power in excess of what the frames and tires of the day could accommodate. Roberts' riding style, bred on the dirt tracks of America, revolutionized road racing. Prior to his arrival in Europe, riders focused on attaining high entry speeds into corners, leaving braking until the last possible moment then, carving graceful arcs through the corners with both wheels in line. Roberts did just the opposite, braking early then, quickly applying the throttle which resulted in the rear tire breaking traction and spinning. The resulting tire spin caused the motorcycle to buck and shake as it continually lost then regained traction, creating a brutal, violent riding style that no one had ever seen before on the racetracks of Europe. His riding style was reminiscent of dirt track riding, where sliding the rear tire to one side is used as a method to steer the motorcycle around a corner. Because of his early application of the throttle, he was able to attain top speed faster than his competitors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenny_Roberts

If I ever had a question to ask Schumacher, it would be whether he was a student of Roberts, and took some of that technique into four wheel racing. Because both attained the same method, early brake, quickest through the corners.

But it sure was a joy to watch a young Michael Schumacher, he was quick.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:24 am 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:33 am 

SmoothRide wrote:
It's quote shocking that Rubens was (is?) a right foot braker.

He tried left-foot braking on and off during his Ferrari years and from then on he seemed to never make his mind up, using a mix of both.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:44 am 

Whilst I'm in no doubt he was the fittest, most talented and most committed driver on the grid, the unlimited testing was always going to be a benefit as well.

Having a test track of their own was invaluable too.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:10 pm 

would be very interesting to have some magazine or some one from inside the sport analyzing the driving techniques of the current top drivers . alonso vettel hamilton raikonnen webber...etc

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:23 pm 

I remember many years ago (when Schumi was in his prime) one of the commentators stating that Schumacher was just about one of the only drivers out there who could navigate high speed corners (180mph plus) talk on his radio, adjust his brake bias mid corner and overtake. Just about all at the same time

He was as others have said super fit, and it was incredibly rare to see him with even a bead of sweat on him post race

Yes unlimited testing and your own track helped but Ferrari were not the only Team with unlimited funds

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:41 pm 

moshbeard wrote:
I remember reading somewhere, or perhaps seeing on some F1 programme, they said that Schumacher developed a lot of techniques which other drivers later picked up but for a long time gave him a huge benefit because he was the only one driving in that style. Current F1 drivers have all inherited or adapted those techniques so it puts them on a level playing field and when factoring in things like his age it explains why he no longer has such an edge over other drivers.

Schumacher absolutely changed the sport.

F1 driving styles probably have become more similar, but then so have the cars. Hamilton is probably the driver who drives most like Schumacher in his prime. Many drivers have cited Schumacher as an influence, but Hamilton looks the most similar to me.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:48 pm 

RebellionLola wrote:
would be very interesting to have some magazine or some one from inside the sport analyzing the driving techniques of the current top drivers . alonso vettel hamilton raikonnen webber...etc

Martin Brundle did one with Button, Alonso and Kimi/Schumi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOhgI1hQA68