Kovalainen 25%  25%  [ 21 ]
Petrov 14%  14%  [ 12 ]
Senna 23%  23%  [ 19 ]
Alguersuari 27%  27%  [ 23 ]
Other 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 84
 Post subject: Caterham second seat?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:55 am 

They already have signed Pic and there seems to be quite a list of other candidates for the other seat. Who will you hope for?
I would like Alguersuari or Van der Garde. I think Petrov showed that Heikki is pretty overrated. Senna I think he is not F1 material.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:59 am 

Alguersuari. He was still improving and is still very young.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:46 pm 

I'd love to see Alguersuari back on the grid, but preferably in a team higher up the grid as I believe he deserves a drive. I'd also hate to say good bye to Heikki and Bruno though. Hard choice, they all seem around the same level of driving skill, but Alguersuari looks the better long term prospect. Heikki's had a chance and doesn't seem to of improved since he was at McLaren.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:56 pm 

I'd like to see Alg back in F1... if he doesn't get FI, then Caterham will do.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:55 pm 

Likely - Van Der Garde

I want - Senna (Providing Alguersuari gets the Force India seat), Algersuari if he doesn't get the FI seat.

Van Der Garde hasn't shown anything like the level of quality in GP2 to be ready for F1 IMO

Pick 10 Podiums:
1st Place: USA 2012, Japan 2013
3rd Place: China 2014

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:59 pm 

After the performances towards the end of the season I have to say Petrov.

Alguersuari should be in a better team if i'm honest.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:13 pm 

Other - Grosjean

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:23 pm 

Anyone but Van der Garde, for three reasons.

Firstly, I've very rarely been impressed by him in GP2. I'm sure that if it wasn't for his association with Caterham, his name wouldn't have even been in contention. It will be kind of bizarre if he, Gutierrez and Chilton all end up graduating from GP2, yet Valsecchi and Razia don't. Which brings me to my second point: at least Chilton and Gutierrez are young. Van der Garde is 27. Which means he's older than: Vettel, Grosjean, Rosberg, Hulk, di Resta, KK, Perez, Pic, Ricciardo and JEV. And that takes me to my third point: experience. Caterham could keep Heikki or Petrov, or sign Alguersuari or Senna, or maybe even KK. Jaime and KK, in fact, are both younger and have much more F1 experience. Aside from anything else, paired with Pic, I think Caterham need a more experienced driver. Pic and Van Der Garde would be a very inexperienced pairing.

The only thing I can think is VDG has a tonne of financial backing, but I don't recall ever seeing anything about that, and Senna/Alguersuari both have financial backing. So yeah, I can make absolutely no case for VDG.

If I'm Caterham, I probably look at Alguersuari or Senna. A good balance of some experience, financial backing and actually having pace. Probably Aguersuari, given he's what, seven years younger, and also has the tyre testing experience of this year.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:34 pm 

I'd like to see Alguersuari get a race seat and be it Caterham then because it won't be Lotus who will retain Grosjean for next year, and the HRT is a mess and probably won't be around come Melbourne 2013.

I don't know about van der Gerde, I haven't followed his career path in lower formulae. :?:

Kovalainen had his chance in F1 and in a top team and he failed big time. At Caterham he was doing a similar job on the race day as Petrov, and usually beat him in qualifying until the last 5 or so races of the season where he was outpaced in qualifying by Petrov. It would be nice to have three Finns on the grid next year but Kovalainen just doesn't have what it takes to succeed in F1 and I don't really want to see him around just to make up the numbers.

Petrov apparently doesn't have enough roubles to get a race seat, and I won't be missing him much either. He appears to be a good bloke but pace-wise he isn't that good, despite besting Kovalainen in the latter part of the season.

Senna has his famous name and sponsorship money, but he never shined in this year's Williams which was a pretty good car. He was totally destroyed by Maldonado, who despite crashing often at least has potential.

So the answer is: Jaime Alguersuari

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:54 pm 

Petrov, Senna or Kovalinen.

PF1 Prediction Competition - currently 64th :(

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:21 pm 

Surprised everyone is voting for guys who have had their chance in F1 and shown they are just average drivers ,some more then a second chance.

Van der Garde has shown deadly pace when he's been given the chance, it would be good to see more new blood on the grid instead of more average drivers getting a seat, need to see if some new blood have what it takes.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:09 pm 

Petrov.

Thanks to him they are 10th and he outperformed Heikki in the second half of the season.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:24 pm 

Keep Petrov.

I like him and he made Kova look extremely average come the second part of the season. I would definitely keep him and Pic.

Senna... No, I like him, but no.
Algersauri needs a mid-field seat.

We ALL love you Schumi! Don't ever give up!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:42 pm 

I would like to see Alguersuari given another chance, but honestly Petrov did good this season. It will be fair call if he keeps his seat on merit for once.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:28 am 

Petrov should be kept on after that performance. He basically drove them to 10 million quid, it'd be quite disappointing to see him booted out after that.

He's shown Heikki up really, and i think Petrov shows much more potential than him now. He's always had a lot of fight in him ever since he came into the sport, and i'd be disappointed to see him go. I remember the quote after he didn't give way for Alonso in 2010: "I came here to fight, and i don't want to let somebody past because i want to show you i am Russian not just for money i want to show i can fight, and this is it." So basically, he shrugged off the pay driver statements, and tried to prove himself. In my opinion he has, he got a great podium in Australia 2011, it wasn't really his fault that the car development fell off due to frontal exiting exhausts, and i feel like he would have done better than Grosjean in the 2012 Lotus. Probably not on qualifying pace, but Petrov has shown in his 3 seasons that he's very good off the start and very good at defensive driving. He's also quite efficient on saving bodywork too, which is a nice touch.

I hope he's in the sport, be it at somewhere like Force India, or Caterham, because he definitely shrugged off the "pay driver" critique and is a good personality. He's also shown his talent, and i hope he stays.

I have a band.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:47 am 

wouldnt mind seeing Rubens in that seat

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:55 am 

Alguersuari showed that he has a lot of potential and I was really surprised that such a young and promising driver would be dropped just as he was coming into his own. I'd like to see him back though I'd rather he him given a chance in a faster car (like the lotus) than a cruising around at the back type of car.

I like Senna but how long is it going to take for him to turn consistancy into enough speed. He is like the opposite of Maldonado, the lack of experience Senna has had in his racing career doesn't help, and not having the practice sessions will also have made a big difference so it isn't completely a fair comparison, but he hasn't really shown to have the speed since Spa 2011 and the harsh reality is that he probably isnt quite good enough to make up the difference before it's too late.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:53 am 

I would like Alguersuari to come back, but he deserves better than Caterham. I picked Van der Garde.

If not those two, then Petrov. I don't want him to go.

Fernando Alonso
Pastor Maldonado
Sergio Perez
Michael Schumacher
Lewis Hamilton

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:02 am 

I'm happy to see Alguersuari leading the poll. Senna being second is a surprise to me. Kova ahead of Petrov I find that a surprise too.