planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:06 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:00 pm 

All of the following events are currently legal, but have riled different parts of the F1 community, so which annoy you, and which do you think are clever uses of the rules?

Massa's 'Gearbox Change' In Austin
Schumacher pulling over for Vettel in Brazil
Toro Rosso Pulling Over for Red Bull all season
Ferrari complaining about Vettel's pass after the season's end.
Ferrari slipstreaming in Qualifying (if it ever worked!)
Webber being called in out of Vettel's way

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:01 pm 

Ferrari
others

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:02 pm 

xECKSx58 wrote:
Ferrari
others

Since when Ferrari is an event? Oh wait... I know what you did there.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:04 pm 

Red Bull being asked to change their car 4-5 times this season through illegal parts or technical loopholes the FIA weren't clear enough on, yet being allowed (aloud? hehe) to keep the results gained through the parts.

But out of the list you provide, Ferrari changing Massa's gearbox. It was very unsporting, I'd of loved to see what would of happened if someone else decided to change a gearbox just to spit them haha.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:15 pm 

jammin78 wrote:
Red Bull being asked to change their car 4-5 times this season through illegal parts or technical loopholes the FIA weren't clear enough on, yet being allowed (aloud? hehe) to keep the results gained through the parts.

But out of the list you provide, Ferrari changing Massa's gearbox. It was very unsporting, I'd of loved to see what would of happened if someone else decided to change a gearbox just to spit them haha.

But then Alonso would have started sixth. From the dirty side yes, but closer to front and probably with Webber behind him (also on the dirty side). because let's face it, Webber (or his team tbf) was the only one who would have gained from that kind of move.
Hamilton, Kimi, Schumacher and Hülkenburg were not going to throw away an excellent starting position to spite Ferrari.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:17 pm 

Location: Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
Did Ferrari actually do anything over the yellow flag business other than ask FIA for clarification?

of Alice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:19 pm 

rocks4brains wrote:
jammin78 wrote:

But then Alonso would have started sixth. From the dirty side yes, but closer to front and probably with Webber behind him (also on the dirty side). because let's face it, Webber (or his team tbf) was the only one who would have gained from that kind of move.
Hamilton, Kimi, Schumacher and Hülkenburg were not going to throw away an excellent starting position to spite Ferrari.

Would be funny if they did though, I'd just love to see Ferrari's reaction.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:20 pm 

The only unsporting behavior I would say on that list is Ferrari trying to change the result of the WDC so late after the race was over. Rest of them are perfectly alright.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:25 pm 

I didn't have a problem with any of the items listed in the OP.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:27 pm 

jammin78 wrote:

I thought just the same thing about someone else doing it, would have been hilarious.

But I disagree with your main point there. Ferrari compromised the chances of their 'number 2' to give their 'number 1' the best shot possible. That's exactly what RB did when they brought Webber in. The only difference is Ferrari were honest about it (for once), and Vettel had the opportunity to achieve the same result sportingly (by passing on track). I think the Ferrari thing just seems worse because it was unique. Both very unsporting, but the only things that differentiate the two incidents make it worse for RB... IMO.

of Alice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:30 pm 

RedBull & Ferrari.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:35 pm 

Balibari wrote:
But I disagree with your main point there. Ferrari compromised the chances of their 'number 2' to give their 'number 1' the best shot possible. That's exactly what RB did when they brought Webber in.

Well, Ferrari impacted other drivers too - by moving them to the dirty side of the grid (and others to the clean side). RB bringing in Webber didn't impact others.
Also, Webber had the chance to just let Vettel by, instead he went on to do some purple times. His fault really (also, he had stuffed up his race for himself already).

edit: but to be clear: I see no wrong in what Ferrari did there. It was clever.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:38 pm 

I dont have a problem with any of things listed.

The general image of Red Bull being cleaner than a saint is getting hilarious. Had Ferrari introduced several illegal parts during a year, half of the the forums threads would still be about how much FIArrari cheated during the year.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:38 pm 

For a team, Ferrari pouring cold water on what should be a celebration to end the season. Extremely selfish, self-centered, and childish behavior.

For an individual, Hamilton taking the fight to Vettel and messing up his race at Germany, even though he was a lap down. A dirty trick driven by ego and extremely selfish, self-centered, and childish behavior.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:39 pm 

Ferrari and Alonso, fit perfectly

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:41 pm 

How is slipstreaming unsportsmanlike?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:43 pm 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
For an individual, Hamilton taking the fight to Vettel and messing up his race at Germany, even though he was a lap down. A dirty trick driven by ego and extremely selfish, self-centered, and childish behavior.

Are you serious?

of Alice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:44 pm 

Alonso showing the FINGER to petrov after the checkquered flag all the way when they were heading toward parc ferme

Absolutely disgrace.....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:47 pm 

Balibari wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:

Are you serious?

He don't live on this planet.

mds wrote:
Balibari wrote:
But I disagree with your main point there. Ferrari compromised the chances of their 'number 2' to give their 'number 1' the best shot possible. That's exactly what RB did when they brought Webber in.

Well, Ferrari impacted other drivers too - by moving them to the dirty side of the grid (and others to the clean side). RB bringing in Webber didn't impact others.
Also, Webber had the chance to just let Vettel by, instead he went on to do some purple times. His fault really (also, he had stuffed up his race for himself already).

edit: but to be clear: I see no wrong in what Ferrari did there. It was clever.

Good points. I still reckon a lot of the fuss was down to the uniqueness of what Ferrari did though.

For what it's worth, although I'd define both as unsporting (in the strict sense of the word) I don't have a problem with either. In a complicated sport with contradictory elements, this stuff happens.

of Alice

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
For a team, Ferrari pouring cold water on what should be a celebration to end the season. Extremely selfish, self-centered, and childish behavior.

First of all.. Formula One isn't a tea party. In Formula One you're supposed to be selfish if you want to be the best. You think that if Ferrari (for whatever reason) believed Vettel was undeserving of the championship, that they were going to let that slip? Had Vettel actually won the title unfairly, they would have lost our massively in terms of prize money if they didn't protest. The second part of your post, of which I'm about to touch up on just proves that you're a stiff fan of Sebastian and get hot-blooded at any sort of conflict between Seb and someone else.

Whether Hamilton was 1st or last, do you think he's going to stop racing and cruise it to the end? He was clearly faster than Vettel, hence the fact that he could overtake him. He has to race other drivers to try and score some points, so he's not going to coast behind Vettel just because he's on the lead lap. This is racing, they are there to race. If Lewis is lapped, he needs to unlap himself, and you'd expect the very same from Vettel. If anything it's Vettel's fault. He should have recognised that Lewis was a lot faster and let him through.

Blinky McSquinty wrote:

So Hamilton, faster than Vettel at the point, was meant to just slow down and let Vettel go by? In the same race that Seb overtook off the track and then proclaimed he'd done nothing wrong whilst accepting a trophy on the podium?

I'm sorry, but if unlapping yourself against a slower car and then pulling away from said car is unsporting, then we have problems.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:50 pm 

1. Toro Rosso Pulling Over for Red Bull all season
- The worst by far, so unfair in so many ways...

2. Schumacher pulling over for Vettel in Brazil
- Deprived viewers of an interesting fight, whether or not Schumi was slower is beyond the point

3. Massa's 'Gearbox Change' In Austin
- Definitely unsporting, but only served to make the race more interesting for viewers. An understandable decision.

4. Webber being called in out of Vettel's way
- As above, unsporting but understandable.

5. Ferrari complaining about Vettel's pass after the season's end.
- Don't really see this as so bad, most teams would've had a go.

6. Ferrari slipstreaming in Qualifying (if it ever worked!)
- Open to every team to try and doesn't really seem to do anything anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:01 pm 

So the"gearbox change" is unfair, but moving the car to the pitlane (instead of starting it on the grid)and setting it up just for the race is fair, right.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:01 pm 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:

Any team on the grid would have done the same thing. Formula One is a sport, but its also a business. I think Ferrari requesting the FIA to look into it was good business practice.

Had the tables been turned, everyone would have been screaming bloody murder. I think Ferrari handled it perfectly.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:06 pm 

Balibari wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:

Are you serious?

Thank you, I just won a hundred bucks. I bet with a friend that if I posted my true opinion in this forum that I would be attacked for doing so, and that the poster would rather attack a dissenting opinion rather than post their own opinion.

Friday night, a hundred bucks burning a hole in my pocket, cheers, I'm off to enjoy myself.

Easy money.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:08 pm 

madchild wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:

Any team on the grid would have done the same thing. Formula One is a sport, but its also a business. I think Ferrari requesting the FIA to look into it was good business practice.

Had the tables been turned, everyone would have been screaming bloody murder. I think Ferrari handled it perfectly.

Why anyone would have a problem about Ferrari taking a grid penalty is beyond belief. The problem lies squarely on the FIA and their rules, it's the rules that allow such manipulation and it's the rule-makers who should be blamed. Ferrari were merely taking advantage.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:35 pm 

Massa's 'Gearbox Change' In Austin
I had no issue with this from a sporting perspective because it was within the rules and as far as I'm concerned it's up to the FIA to write rules in such a way that they actually restrict situations to the spirit of the rule in a technical way. Moreover, it was a logical thing for Ferrari to do under the circumstances; I believe that once a driver is out of the WDC fight then he's secondary to his teammate and there to assist if necessary and at the very least not hinder. For me that's a product of Formula 1 being a team sport. If there's anything I don't like it is that it affected other drivers on the grid, but that isn't Ferrari's problem.

Schumacher pulling over for Vettel in Brazil
It really depends on the reasons he did it. If he was doing it because he didn't want to risk an accident with a WDC contender, which was a high risk in the conditions, and because he felt it was ultimately fruitless to fight Vettel given the speed differential and that fighting him could ultimately compromise his ability to stay ahead of Kobayashi for long enough to hold him off, then it was fine. If he did it to 'help' Vettel, that's not something I endorse, but in this instance I had a personal reason for liking it because it was so poignant.

Toro Rosso Pulling Over for Red Bull all season
I don't like this from a sporting perspective, but I don't object to it.

I don't think Ferrari were responsible for the furore that ensued. It's my understanding that they sought a clarification from the FIA and they did so privately. It was the media outlets, particularly AS, running with the story. Having said that, whether I have a problem with Ferrari querying it depends on how they viewed the situation. IF they watched the footage and were genuinely of the opinion that a green flag wasn't visible then they had every right to ask the FIA. But if they could see it was a green flag and queried regardless then that's my #1 unsporting behaviour by far, and given that I don't see how they could not have seen it was a green flag, I'm going with the latter.

Ferrari slipstreaming in Qualifying (if it ever worked!)
No issue with that whatsoever. I had more problem with Massa playing reargunner for Alonso at Brazil, not in principle at all, but because I felt that he was blocking a bit beyond the rules.

Webber being called in out of Vettel's way
I believe that once a driver is out of the WDC fight then he's secondary to his teammate and there to assist if necessary and at the very least not hinder. So no problem with that.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:48 pm 

...even as a tifoso, if Ferrari did "complain" or "dispute" the result rather than just asking a question, then:

1. Ferrari complaining about Vettel's pass after the season's end.
- if it was during the race, i would say that's ok, but several days after?

2. Toro Rosso Pulling Over for Red Bull all season
- this is the most disappointing thing that i've seen over time and people on this forum scream and shout when Felipe moves over for Alonso...

the rest, i dont see anything wrong with:

- Schumacher pulling over for Vettel in Brazil: nothing for the grand old man to lose or gain, a simple friendly gesture in his last race

- Massa's 'Gearbox Change' In Austin: not a very happy thing for Felipe but i can understand Ferrari's motive and, to be honest, it was quite an audacious move that none of the others would try.

- Webber being called in out of Vettel's way: pretty routine team tactics. only thing wrong about this is RB's bullshit about treating their drivers as equals - at least be man enough to stand up and say Seb's your guy!

- Ferrari slipstreaming in Qualifying (if it ever worked!): quite the contrary, this is good teamwork (if it works)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:03 pm 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
Balibari wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:

Are you serious?

Thank you, I just won a hundred bucks. I bet with a friend that if I posted my true opinion in this forum that I would be attacked for doing so, and that the poster would rather attack a dissenting opinion rather than post their own opinion.

Friday night, a hundred bucks burning a hole in my pocket, cheers, I'm off to enjoy myself.

Easy money.

Your friend may wish to protest this result, as I'm not sure that reply constitutes an attack :-P

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:04 pm 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:

Asking for a clarification is not the same thing as appealing the race result. Even if the FIA agreed with Ferrari Vettel would be still be champion.

When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion. - Robert Pirsig

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:10 pm 

kai_ wrote:
I don't think Ferrari were responsible for the furore that ensued. It's my understanding that they sought a clarification from the FIA and they did so privately. It was the media outlets, particularly AS, running with the story. Having said that, whether I have a problem with Ferrari querying it depends on how they viewed the situation. IF they watched the footage and were genuinely of the opinion that a green flag wasn't visible then they had every right to ask the FIA. But if they could see it was a green flag and queried regardless then that's my #1 unsporting behaviour by far, and given that I don't see how they could not have seen it was a green flag, I'm going with the latter.

Yellow lights were flashing on Vettel's dashboard despite the green flags on the track. The rulebook does not specify what takes precedence when conflicting track status is displayed, FIA ruled that it would be the flags, and Ferrari asked for a clarification on that.

The reason dashboard lights were introduced is because drivers may not be able to see the flags in tricky conditions such as in Brazil, so it's not really obvious why the flags would take precedence over the lights.

EDIT : And I'm sure you know of the furore caused by the safety car incident last year at Monaco, Schumacher saw the green flags and overtook Alonso but the rulebook said he couldn't. Flag rules leave a lot of room for interpretation, especially in corner cases like this. Like there is no clearcut rule on how much a driver should slow for yellow flags in qualifying, and they don't even slow for them in the race.

When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion. - Robert Pirsig

Last edited by sultanofhyd on Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:10 pm 

Lojik wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:
Balibari wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:

Are you serious?

Easy money.

Your friend may wish to protest this result, as I'm not sure that reply constitutes an attack :-P

I'm even less sure the bet with the friend constitutes a real story.

I actually meant the question literally, I wasn't sure if he/she was sarcastically mimicking what Hamilton-haters might say. Is there an ignore button on the new forum?

of Alice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:11 pm 

I'd say Ferrari, but if its legal its legal and you can't blame them for being who they are

I'm actually glad they're that was because it makes it even sweeter when they get beaten :) and I can never feel sorry for them

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:13 pm 

HOERSS wrote:
I dont have a problem with any of things listed.
The general image of Red Bull being cleaner than a saint is getting hilarious. Had Ferrari introduced several illegal parts during a year, half of the the forums threads would still be about how much FIArrari cheated during the year.

I had* several problems with the things Ferrari have done, i feel that they claim to be the best and they seem to be proud of their "commitment" to F1. However they seem to me to be most (i.e. very very) belligerent and vehement in protecting "their F1" and their reputation as the best, most revered marque (supercar manufacturer) in the world.
I don't think the FIA are behind Ferrari now as they were in the past.
*had, for me the gearbox issue was a big step too far, it's over now so forgotten!
I do however think that the rules and regulations in F1 attract engineers to look at and exploit loop holes in the rules (it is sometimes how we come across innovation) for at least part of the season. Maybe it's arguable that Button won a world championship with this kind of ingenuity? I dunno!
I do however feel that Red Bull have not been cheating by using parts which they have later been told to stop using, it's not cheating at the time because the FIA would spot it under scrutineering surley? (i) I did think perhaps incorrectly that if a team had n idea which they were not sure about they could speak to Charlie or someone about and request clarification, was this not the case with Red Bull? If not Hmmm.....!
Blinky McSquinty wrote:
For an individual, Hamilton taking the fight to Vettel and messing up his race at Germany, even though he was a lap down. A dirty trick driven by ego and extremely selfish, self-centered, and childish behavio
r.

Agree 100% with this, i really took a dislike to both of these incidents!
Toro Rosso? Hmmm, has it happened all season though? I haven't been looking for it....
Schumacher? Well he did let Vettel past as soon as he could, which he should do, but did he hold up Alonso at all? If he did he should be fined! Vettel can't be held responsible for another drivers actions, although it would suit some people here.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:21 pm 

Balibari wrote:
Lojik wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:
Balibari wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:

Are you serious?

Easy money.

I'm even less sure the bet with the friend constitutes a real story.

I actually meant the question literally, I wasn't sure if he/she was sarcastically mimicking what Hamilton-haters might say. Is there an ignore button on the new forum?

Yes there is, just add said user to your foes list in the control panel. Its definitely worth it on this forum.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:23 pm 

Ferrari are definitely unsporting but at least they keep it within the team. I strongly dislike Ferrari for their unsporting behaviour but they make decisions that other teams could if they wished (barring a few exceptions like Germany 2010).

The same cannot be said for Torro Rosso. It's outrageous that a team can have a second team "working for them". It's an advantage that no other team enjoys, and should be tackled very strongly by the FIA.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:39 pm 

NvrDieYoung wrote:
Alonso showing the FINGER to petrov after the checkquered flag all the way when they were heading toward parc ferme

Absolutely disgrace.....

Hmm.. I think the OP is talking about THIS season, I don't recall any incident between Alonso and Petrov this season. SOme of you really need to get a grip on your Alonso hate.
Why not talk about Schumacher ramming Hill? etc etc.... ffs

2011 Silverstone 1st
2012 Spa 1st
2012 Interlagos 3rd

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:42 pm 

Ferrari complaining about Vettel's pass after the season's end. Absolutely classless and stupid thing to do. Either they have no F1 rulebook at hand, or they are cowards, which instead of making an official statement that Vettel's overtake was okay to calm down their rabid fans, decided that it's best to hide behind FIA's back. Clearly an attempt to tarnish the Vettel's WDC, thankfully it backfired and tarnished their own reputation.

Massa's 'Gearbox Change' In Austin It was quite blatant and "in your face" move; Alonso was "proud of it". The worst thing is that it affected a other drivers too.

I have no problem with the other things:

Schumacher pulling over for Vettel in Brazil It was clearly his own choice. No one forced him to do it, and in the end it didn't make any difference. Vettel was WDC even with 7th place.

Toro Rosso Pulling Over for Red Bull all season All season? It was in just two races, and even in these races , these were just two cars from 20. However, if TR were anywhere near the front or crashed in any of the Ferrari's, I would certainly scream murder too. As it was, they just saved two seconds for Vettel and in now way decided anything.

Ferrari slipstreaming in Qualifying (if it ever worked!) No problem with that at all

Webber being called in out of Vettel's way No problem - it was done when the Webber's chances for the WDC were gone (not slim, but gone), and it was never for the win anyway. Germany 2010 was pure disaster - mid season, Massa was still in contention, and on top of it, the team orders wasn't allowed at the time.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:43 pm 

The worst offence for me was Massa's 'Gearbox Change' In Austin. It wasn't just about teammates or even Schumacher or Toro Rosso drivers letting Vettel by, it was about messing the start of the drivers right next to Alonso as well. In a different thread I said I consider this action identical to crashgate on principle and I still stand by it. I think this should be judged for race fixing.

Schumacher pulling over for Vettel in Brazil or the Toro Rosso Pulling Over for Red Bull all season is arguable about truth or reasons but if true and with the purpose of aiding a particular driver over the rest that's next up in list of unsportsmanlike conducts.

Webber being called in out of Vettel's way is unsportsmanslike for two reasons: Webber for not accepting the fact that there were different stakes for him and Vettel and Red Bull for issuing a team order in such a short order. Team orders are legal today but it doesn't mean they can't be unsportsmanlike by some definitions.

Ferrari complaining about Vettel's pass after the season's end is their right. The only problem I'd have with that would be if Ferrari were pretty sure already that there was no reason to ask for clarifications and they still did it just to create a fuss and throw some controversy on Vettel's win.

Ferrari slipstreaming in Qualifying (if it ever worked!). Can't think what's unsportsmanlike about it. I get it that the second driver appears to gain some advantage that he wouldn't otherwise but I don't see why they need teammates to do it. If anything Alonso should have stayed behind Vettel's or Hamilton's slipstream instead of Massa's.