planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:20 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:04 am
Posts: 359
Alonso at one point in the season had a roughly 50 point lead in the WDC if I remember correctly.

I have watched f1 from 1996 and I dont think any driver has such a big lead to go onto lose the WDC.

Has any driver before that (or since then if I missed it) gone onto losing a bigger lead ?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:03 pm
Posts: 675
Remember 50 points is 20 points in old money. I would imagine Kimi was more than that behind in 2007.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:51 am
Posts: 1167
A lot of people don't know that the points have been increased over time

_________________
Multi 21 or Catch 22?!

It ain't hating just 'cause it's not love


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:41 pm
Posts: 2473
50 points must have been borderline insurmountable in any of the old money systems. 5 race wins with 0 scored for the guy in the lead.

Damon almost over-turned 30 points or so in 94 didn't he, which was 3 race wins (so 75 in new money I guess). However, that was because Schumi got DSQ again (did he not get 4 race bans in 1994?) and missed the next 2 when Damon won all 3.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:05 pm
Posts: 3
Hunt was 35-odd points behind Lauda in 76, but Niki was obviously injured.

Kimi was 26 points behind Hamilton in 2007.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:54 pm
Posts: 111
As pointed by BringBackJordan, 26 points is the biggest margin overturned without injuries blighting the season. This included recovering a 17-point deficit in just the last 2 races (roughly 42 points today).

Another huge lead which was overhauled was Lewis Hamilton's 47-point lead over Alonso in 2010 which was done in the space of 5 races and Fernie eventually finished 12 points ahead - a 59-point swing. However, that counted for naught, as Vettel clinched the title.
Also in 2006, Schumacher overcame a 25-point deficit (about 67 points today) to tie the championship with Alonso at one stage before losing it at the end.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:32 am
Posts: 1521
wolfticket wrote:
Remember 50 points is 20 points in old money. I would imagine Kimi was more than that behind in 2007.


:thumbup:

_________________
The only way to vote is with the remote.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:16 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:14 am
Posts: 37
Location: Florida
Pironi lost a 23 point lead in 1982, which is more than 50 points in today's system. But it was due to a career-ending injury.
You also have to remember that Alonso lost his big lead in a 20-race season, not a 10, 12 or 14 race season like in the past. He lost something like 42 points over 7 races. That's only 6 points per race. Considering the gap from 1st to 2nd is 7 points it's not too shocking that Vettel was able to overhaul him, particularly when he lost 20-30 potential points across two races. (Belgium and Japan)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:57 am
Posts: 181
I think Alonso's max lead this season was more like 40 pts? It is probably the biggest lead anyone has blown since the new points system was introduced but I am sure bigger leads were blown under the old system.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:28 pm
Posts: 308
To be fair Spa wasn't his fault, and I don't think many people could have got that car to a near 50 point lead.

_________________
Should I grow a beard?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:14 pm
Posts: 2460
mac_d wrote:
50 points must have been borderline insurmountable in any of the old money systems. 5 race wins with 0 scored for the guy in the lead.

Damon almost over-turned 30 points or so in 94 didn't he, which was 3 race wins (so 75 in new money I guess). However, that was because Schumi got DSQ again (did he not get 4 race bans in 1994?) and missed the next 2 when Damon won all 3.


If Schumacher keeps his Spa and Silverstone finishing positions (1st and second respectively) and finishes second behind Hill at Monza and Estoril, then he wins by 33 points, assuming Hill achieved the same finishing positions.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:14 pm
Posts: 2460
BringBackJordan wrote:
Hunt was 35-odd points behind Lauda in 76, but Niki was obviously injured.

Kimi was 26 points behind Hamilton in 2007.


Raikkonen is probably the furthest behind anyone has won from. Discounting car failures causing injuries and the like.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:00 am
Posts: 15
It is easy really. Alonso crashed out in two races so there is 50 points gone. If Alonso finished in the points in Spa and Suzuka, he would be WDC


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:14 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:16 am
Posts: 1149
Location: Madrid, Spain
BlackMist wrote:
It is easy really. Alonso crashed out in two races so there is 50 points gone. If Alonso finished in the points in Spa and Suzuka, he would be WDC


Same applies for the 2 alternators...so energies got balanced

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:53 am
Posts: 2398
Location: Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
BringBackJordan wrote:
Hunt was 35-odd points behind Lauda in 76, but Niki was obviously injured.

Kimi was 26 points behind Hamilton in 2007.

I take your point but Niki only missed two races, Hunt was absolutely amazing in the latter stages of the year. Lauda himself gives Hunt full credit.

Have just read a book on their rivalry that season and I'd never appreciated how good Hunt was at the time, had always thought he kind of lucked into it. Obviously it's unlikely to have happened without the accident, but Hunt lost as many races as Lauda overall because he had poorer reliability.

_________________
I went skating on your name,
And by tracing it twice,
I fell through the ice,
of Alice


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Covalent, Lojik, Majestic-12 [Bot], purchville, slungu, specdecible and 32 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
[ Time : 0.108s | 13 Queries | GZIP : Off ]