planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:53 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:08 am 

Woah I never knew this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EQYimzsaW0 look at 2:00

Does this mean he anticipated that Ayrton was going to win it eventually if he had lived on? Must be emotional for Shumy when he won it but the irony is that it's one of the most controversial wins if not the most in f1 history. Never thought he dedicated that for Ayrton Senna..

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:24 am 

Kolby wrote:

Does this mean he anticipated that Ayrton was going to win it eventually if he had lived on? Must be emotional for Shumy when he won it but the irony is that it's one of the most controversial wins if not the most in f1 history. Never thought he dedicated that for Ayrton Senna..

Everyone thought Senna was going to win it that year. Sure he had a bad start to the year, but it was inevitable. The skill of Senna and the speed of a Williams looked pretty unbeatable on paper.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:38 am 

schumi7 wrote:
Kolby wrote:

Everyone thought Senna was going to win it that year. Sure he had a bad start to the year, but it was inevitable. The skill of Senna and the speed of a Williams looked pretty unbeatable on paper.

Except Schui already had a hefty lead and it's arguable that without the death of Senna he wouldn't have been DQ'd and banned from racing some of the events. for example, Without the death of Senna no plank would have been introduced which means he wouldn't have been DSQ'd from Spa. Remember at the start of the year the Williams was quick but it was a handful due to the removal of the active suspension.

Of Course you could Argue the Schui and Benetton would have been banished for the fuel rig. But then there would be threads saying it should have been the team punished not the driver Schui was the rightful champion etc etc etc.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:02 pm 

Johnston wrote:
schumi7 wrote:
Kolby wrote:

Except Schui already had a hefty lead and it's arguable that without the death of Senna he wouldn't have been DQ'd and banned from racing some of the events. for example, Without the death of Senna no plank would have been introduced which means he wouldn't have been DSQ'd from Spa. Remember at the start of the year the Williams was quick but it was a handful due to the removal of the active suspension.

Of Course you could Argue the Schui and Benetton would have been banished for the fuel rig. But then there would be threads saying it should have been the team punished not the driver Schui was the rightful champion etc etc etc.

Yeah I guess there are lots of what ifs in the whole situation. Also, Senna didn't seem as motivated that year, so who knows what would've happened.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:26 pm 

I think it was only a few races in and anything could have happened, he was in a new team with a car that had been altered due to regulations, you can never know who would have done what, but senna was at his peak in my view the previous year so i would say he would have won or been up there at the end, Schumacher used to make no secret of his admiration for senna if i remember correctly back then and probably thought had he lived would have won

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:45 pm 

Schumi's hero was Senna, so its hardly suprising if he dedicated the WDC to his hero who had died that season.

Obviously nobody knows how the season would have ended had Senna not lost his life in that horrible accident.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:08 pm 

I don't think Schumi gets emotional about anything but himself winning.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:11 pm 

I still remember Schumi crying in the press conference when he equaled Senna's 31 wins.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:22 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
I still remember Schumi crying in the press conference when he equaled Senna's 31 wins.
I still remember Schumi taking Damon out of the road in Adelaide. To me those tears were self-inducted drama to clean his image.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:24 pm 

Chance of Senna winning the championship that year was very remote . The Williams chassis with the active suspension now banned was very unstable and flat out dangerous .
Senna himself said they were starting from scratch to get the car working again after the original suspension was banned .

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:32 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lc_U3KUDB0
Schumacher talks about Senna's death.

Fernando Alonso
Pastor Maldonado
Sergio Perez
Michael Schumacher
Lewis Hamilton

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:02 pm 

chican wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
I still remember Schumi taking Damon out of the road in Adelaide. To me those tears were self-inducted drama to clean his image.

If it helps you sleep better at night believing Schumacher is some comic book villain.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:09 pm 

If Hill could drag that car to nearly winning the WDC, then Senna would have. And theres no way he would have let Renault get away with all the stuff they got away with that year- fuel rig filters, "option 13" etc.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:17 pm 

maninblack wrote:
chican wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

If it helps you sleep better at night believing Schumacher is some comic book villain.

Actually it only helps me to stand some people in this forum ;)

It's a game, everybody creates their own villains.

Last edited by chican on Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:18 pm 

chican wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

You think Schumacher cares about his image?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:19 pm 

I don't think Senna would have beaten Schumacher in 94 and I think he would have had a tough job in 95.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:29 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
chican wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Well, he has parked his car in the Rascasse whenever he needed to, so it depends on the circumstances.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:45 pm 

chican wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
chican wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Well, he has parked his car in the Rascasse whenever he needed to, so it depends on the circumstances.

Exactly - hardly the actions of a man with any desire to "clean his image"

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:36 pm 

Michael went to the absolute limit to be the winner, yes. He sometimes went slightly above, yes. But to say he is heartless and faked tears in that press conference is utter nonsense.

Also he was not alone in his relentlessness, many old-school drivers had this mindset, Senna included. Remember Senna's 1990 championship, the second last race in Japan. Senna had pole, Prost second, but Senna was on the dirty side. He tried to get pole changed to the left side, but it wasn't allowed. In interviews that were released later, it came out that he then said, he will just dive into the first corner, no matter if Prost is there or not, cause Senna felt he was treated unfairly. He basically said, if Prost doesn't make room, it will be his fault. Well, Prost was there, Senna went for the gap anyway like he said, they crashed, Senna was world champion.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:37 pm 

Yellowbin74 wrote:
If Hill could drag that car to nearly winning the WDC, then Senna would have. And theres no way he would have let Renault get away with all the stuff they got away with that year- fuel rig filters, "option 13" etc.

Yes but that was in part thanks to Schui being Dsqed and banned from 1/4 of the season.

Had senna Lived, Well the spa DSQ wouldn't have happened. the plank for which schui got banned was the knee jerk reaction to Sennas accident, no fatal accident no plank, no plank no DSQ.

Had Senna lived the grid order would have likely been different in Silverstone and therefore likely no black flag, no DSQ and no ban for ignoring it.

So the advantage of 40 unanswered points likely wouldn't have happened. Unless you think Schui would have finished out of the points or crashed in all those races.

Of course Benetton might have been DSQ'd altogether for the fuel rig if it's to be believed they were saved as Schui was seen to be the star to replace senna. But then again Flavio and Bernie were tight so maybe not.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:10 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
chican wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
chican wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Exactly - hardly the actions of a man with any desire to "clean his image"
The actions of somebody who cannot be taken 100% serious maybe? Depending on the circumstances he cries to look stricken, other times he seems to have a strange engine misfire in the most opportune place and moment.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:46 pm 

Johnston wrote:
Yellowbin74 wrote:

Yes but that was in part thanks to Schui being Dsqed and banned from 1/4 of the season.

Had senna Lived, Well the spa DSQ wouldn't have happened. the plank for which schui got banned was the knee jerk reaction to Sennas accident, no fatal accident no plank, no plank no DSQ.

Had Senna lived the grid order would have likely been different in Silverstone and therefore likely no black flag, no DSQ and no ban for ignoring it.

So the advantage of 40 unanswered points likely wouldn't have happened. Unless you think Schui would have finished out of the points or crashed in all those races.

Of course Benetton might have been DSQ'd altogether for the fuel rig if it's to be believed they were saved as Schui was seen to be the star to replace senna. But then again Flavio and Bernie were tight so maybe not.

senna out-qualified hill in the first 3 races of 94 by 1.5sec, 0.5 sec , 0.7 sec respectively. I cant see hill ever out qualifying senna in any race in 1994 (except for maybe reliability issues). So lets say on average senna would be 0.8 seconds faster than hill's 1994 qualifying times.

MS looked unbeatable at monaco outqualifying hill by 1.5sec. Senna would have come second. the williams was stil a dog at that point, it would be hard to think he would be able to overcome this at monaco of all places. MS is pretty handy at monaco as we saw this year.

Spanish GP. Pole to flag victory for senna. MS outqualified hill by 0.6. MS had gearbox failure.

Canada gp. The temporary chicane place in the middle of the back straight would not have been there had senna lived. This would have helped the mighty renault v10 to utilize its power. This race would be even. Maybe another brazil 1994 race.

France gp. This is the race where the williams became a better car than the benetton. hill outqualified MS by 0.5 sec. I see pole to flag victory for senna.

British gp. Same story.

The rest of 1994. Same story.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:09 pm 

Dev111 wrote:

senna out-qualified hill in the first 3 races of 94 by 1.5sec, 0.5 sec , 0.7 sec respectively. I cant see hill ever out qualifying senna in any race in 1994 (except for maybe reliability issues). So lets say on average senna would be 0.8 seconds faster than hill's 1994 qualifying times.

MS looked unbeatable at monaco outqualifying hill by 1.5sec. Senna would have come second. the williams was stil a dog at that point, it would be hard to think he would be able to overcome this at monaco of all places. MS is pretty handy at monaco as we saw this year.

Spanish GP. Pole to flag victory for senna. MS outqualified hill by 0.6. MS had gearbox failure.

Canada gp. The temporary chicane place in the middle of the back straight would not have been there had senna lived. This would have helped the mighty renault v10 to utilize its power. This race would be even. Maybe another brazil 1994 race.

France gp. This is the race where the williams became a better car than the benetton. hill outqualified MS by 0.5 sec. I see pole to flag victory for senna.

British gp. Same story.

The rest of 1994. Same story.

Senna may have out qualified him, but who was bringing home the points?

Remember if Senna hadn't have died Schui would have had a 30point lead over Senna.

but to say the rest of the year would have been a white wash, thats just dream land IMO. IIRC didn't senna even think himself that dropping points in imola would have effectively been game over?

In Canada without the chicane we could have seen the Ferrari up there like they were in Monza.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:03 am 

It's funny, I've never believed Senna would have won the title in 1994. Dunno why people are so set on it being a certainty.

#14 for '14

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:49 am 

chican wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Every human makes mistake, so does Shumy. He wouldn't have cried for a minute if it was 'self-inducted' drama, it was genuine. Damon Hill even forgave Shumy for what he had done in 94' and regards him as one of the best drivers of all time if not the best. If you're genuine, you should forgive shumy too

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:50 am 

Kolby wrote:
chican wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Every human makes mistake, so does Shumy. He wouldn't have cried for a minute if it was 'self-inducted' drama, it was genuine. Damon Hill even forgave Shumy for what he had done in 94' and regards him as one of the best drivers of all time if not the best. If you're genuine, you should forgive shumy too

Quote:
It's funny, I've never believed Senna would have won the title in 1994. Dunno why people are so set on it being a certainty.

The drivers know more than the fans, I believe Schumi knows what he's saying

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:46 am 

This comes up every year or so. The fact is, MS had a 30 point buffer regardless. I certainly think Senna would have scored more wins and points than Schumacher from Imola onwards. The debatable part is if it would have been enough to overhaul MS.

I see it being a bit like 2005 when Raikkonen was trying to overhaul Alonso. It is very difficult, even if you have the reliability, if the guy keeps finishing second in every race.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:13 am 

schumi7 wrote:
Also, Senna didn't seem as motivated that year, so who knows what would've happened.
I'm surprised by that comment. Senna was driving a very difficult car at that moment, yet outqualified Schumacher every single time. Aida and Imola don't leave us much upon which to base an opinion, but remember how Senna chased Schumacher in Brazil? He even spun, such was the effort required to take the fight to the Benetton. Perhaps you meant pre-season? But even then I'm at a loss to discover lesser motivation; after all, he had already indicated that he would go to another team again to finish his career, after Williams.

At least three drivers' careers were deeply influenced by Imola 1994: Schumacher would not now be the most successful driver ever, Senna would have had at least 5 titles, and Hill would probably never have been a world champion.
But possibly the biggest influence would have been on Ferrari; if Senna would still have been the fastest man in F1 when he would have gone there. And of course there would perhaps never have been a "team Schumacher" as developed at Ferrari, if Benetton had been thrown out of the championship in 1994.

Emotions are funny animals; who knows why Schumacher said what he said at the end of 1994? He knew much more than we about why he was allowed to race in the Benetton beyond the German Grand Prix.

Maria de Villota

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:30 pm 

Johnston wrote:
schumi7 wrote:
Kolby wrote:

Schumacher said that the improvements to safety on the cars hurt the Benetton aerodynamics more than the Williams aero. Making the car "less stable".

Many many teams modified the fuel rig.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:35 pm 

Fiki wrote:
schumi7 wrote:

Emotions are funny animals; who knows why Schumacher said what he said at the end of 1994? He knew much more than we about why he was allowed to race in the Benetton beyond the German Grand Prix.

Schumacher didn't know about the fuel rig. He certainly wasn't aware of the technical regulations surrounding it.

That would be more Ross Brawn's area and the engineers.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:19 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:

Funny, everyone here is quoting this, but none of the hardcore 'fans' seem to remember Senna's number of victories?! No one seems to be pointing out that it is 41.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:21 pm 

IDrinkYourMilkshake wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Funny, everyone here is quoting this, but none of the hardcore 'fans' seem to remember Senna's number of victories?! No one seems to be pointing out that it is 41.

Didn't seem worth correcting tbh, everyone knows that.

Mansell has 31.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:48 pm 

Fiki wrote:
schumi7 wrote:
Also, Senna didn't seem as motivated that year, so who knows what would've happened.
I'm surprised by that comment. Senna was driving a very difficult car at that moment, yet outqualified Schumacher every single time. Aida and Imola don't leave us much upon which to base an opinion, but remember how Senna chased Schumacher in Brazil? He even spun, such was the effort required to take the fight to the Benetton. Perhaps you meant pre-season? But even then I'm at a loss to discover lesser motivation; after all, he had already indicated that he would go to another team again to finish his career, after Williams.

At least three drivers' careers were deeply influenced by Imola 1994: Schumacher would not now be the most successful driver ever, Senna would have had at least 5 titles, and Hill would probably never have been a world champion.
But possibly the biggest influence would have been on Ferrari; if Senna would still have been the fastest man in F1 when he would have gone there. And of course there would perhaps never have been a "team Schumacher" as developed at Ferrari, if Benetton had been thrown out of the championship in 1994.

I meant that he seemed less motivated than other years to challenge Schumacher in the beginning of the season. His desire to win still remained in tact of course, but his desire to beat his rival seemed slightly diminished. Apparently he phoned Prost a couple of times to return, I'm assuming it's because he wanted to feel the urge to beat someone that he asked him to return. Again, I could be completely wrong, but I just think that there was something about him that was different to the Senna of previous years.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:55 pm 

chican wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
chican wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Whenever he wanted to? Rewriting history, chican?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:59 pm 

Johnston wrote:
Yellowbin74 wrote:

Unfortunately, we can't ever be sure. It seems pointless debating it as we'll never all agree, we still do it though because we enjoy it.

We can't say for certain these events wouldn't have happened if Senna had lived. He helped reform the GPDA the morning of his death because of Ratzenberger's death. Had there been no accidents for Barrichello and Ratzenberger and Senna survived, we might be able to say more so that certain events may not have transpired.

I believe Schumacher would have still won the WDC that year, but in a different way. 1995 would have been a closer year as Senna would have developed a more comfortable car. Schumacher with Renault power would have been competing close to him. Hard to call, but I would still go Schumacher.

It would then be a tough call as to who Ferrari went for, the rising star or the established star potentially starting to fade by that point. On recent history, probably Senna as Schumacher might have been too much of a gamble. Schumi then would have either moved to McLaren and wanted to build the team around him there (Ron might not have played ball as much as Jean did) or do a Vettel and stick with a fast Benetton. Either way, I still personally believe had Senna not won in 1994 or 1995, he probably wouldn't have won another WDC. History was too stacked against him.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:35 pm 

Blake wrote:
chican wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
chican wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Whenever he wanted to? Rewriting history, chican?
Sorry, I'm just bitter because of MS recent comments on the right WDC winner... Anyway he did it once and that's a precedent.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:42 pm 

Anyone remember Senna at Monaco in 1985? Set the fastest time then deliberately blocked cars from setting a faster time, even when instructed to move over for Alboreto's Ferrari he ignored the blue flags and Alboreto decided to force him into parking his car on track. Senna kept his eventual pole time.

It's funny how Schumacher's incident at Monaco gets brought up and not Senna's. He set the precedence for how to be ruthless in pursuit of victory. Schumacher owed a lot to him.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:47 am 

chican wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Are you autistic or something?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:48 am 

schumi7 wrote:
Kolby wrote:

True, but people thought the same about Schumacher in 1998 and 2005.