planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:47 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: The end of HRT thread
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:13 pm 

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/2881 ... ntry-list/

The HRT F1 Team has not been included on the provisional 2013 entry list issued by governing body the FIA on Saturday afternoon, all but confirming the Madrid-based outfit's demise. Having recently been put up for sale by owners Thesan Capital, a new buyer could not be found before the deadline on Friday November 30.

More to follow.
subject edited.

Last edited by MikeV1987 on Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:14 pm 

Sad, but I hope they get replaced by a team with some money at least. Bring on VW! :]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:20 pm 

so no more Cucumber !

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:28 pm 

Here's what HRT Technical Director Toni Cuquerella tweeted today:
https://twitter.com/tonicuque/status/274657893108809728

A rough translation if I'm correct: "4 years ago I suggested to a friend to build an F1 team. Today after 3 seasons he has written the last page of HRT. Good luck friends."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:38 pm 

Arent the driver numbers based on the previous years drivers championship positions? Did something change? Lewis ended 4th this year but he gets No 10 next year. I though drivers take their numbers with them. I dont get it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:39 pm 

Another link

HRT fails to find buyer before 2013 Formula 1 entry deadline

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/104673

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:40 pm 

Race2win wrote:
Arent the driver numbers based on the previous years drivers championship positions? Did something change? Lewis ended 4th this year but he gets No 10 next year. I though drivers take their numbers with them. I dont get it.
Only the WDC takes #1 (and #2 for teammate) with him. All other teams are in WCC order.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:40 pm 

Race2win wrote:

Only the WDC carrys the number. The rest are given theirs based on the teams position in the WCC and then it's up to the team who gets which.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:42 pm 

Race2win wrote:

World champion gets 1, his team mate 2.

After that it's done on teams in order of WCC. So Ferrari get 3 and 4, Mclaren 5 and 6, Lotus 7 and 8 etc. etc.

It's up to the team which driver gets which number but normally the top driver from last season gets the lowest number. If a new driver joins a team, normally the established driver gets the lower number (in this case Rosberg, Massa the same in 2010 etc.)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:45 pm 

tootsie323 wrote:
Race2win wrote:
Only the WDC takes #1 (and #2 for teammate) with him. All other teams are in WCC order.
Apologies to all but: FINALLY! I actually succeed in my response being the first!
Phew - childish rant out. Off the thread topic but related to the numbering: is it only Damon Hill who took the #0 (twice - in '93 and '94) after the WDC from the previous year (Mansell and Prost respectively) retired? Has anyone else had this in F1 history?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:06 pm 

Natural selection is working in F1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:09 pm 

tootsie323 wrote:
tootsie323 wrote:
Race2win wrote:
Apologies to all but: FINALLY! I actually succeed in my response being the first!
Phew - childish rant out. Off the thread topic but related to the numbering: is it only Damon Hill who took the #0 (twice - in '93 and '94) after the WDC from the previous year (Mansell and Prost respectively) retired? Has anyone else had this in F1 history?

Jody Scheckter raced with number 0 on his car - I can't remember which year.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:13 pm 

tootsie323 wrote:
Race2win wrote:

Hmm... Never really paid attention to the numbering. Thanks though

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:56 pm 

RaisinChips wrote:
tootsie323 wrote:
tootsie323 wrote:
Race2win wrote:

Jody Scheckter used the number zero during the 1973 season at the Canadian and traumatic Watkins Glen U.S GP.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:09 pm 

hd23 wrote:

poor excuse for natural selection, its actually that species adapt and evolve to their surroundings in order to survive the concept of only the strongest survive is a twisted and very primitive way of explaining it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:25 pm 

I will miss them :(

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:42 pm 

tootsie323 wrote:
tootsie323 wrote:
Race2win wrote:

#0 is assigned if the reigning World Champion does not participate. That would be why Hill got #0 in 1994, because Prost retired.

Fernando Alonso
Pastor Maldonado
Sergio Perez
Michael Schumacher
Lewis Hamilton

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:45 pm 

They were doomed from the start.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:23 pm 

RaisinChips wrote:
tootsie323 wrote:
tootsie323 wrote:
Race2win wrote:

Hill also used '0'
His book is actually called Hero to Zero

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:32 pm 

potter84 wrote:
hd23 wrote:

poor excuse for natural selection, its actually that species adapt and evolve to their surroundings in order to survive the concept of only the strongest survive is a twisted and very primitive way of explaining it.

Successful adaptations thrive, unsuccessful adaptations die out. Extinction is a part of the evolutionary process, so saying that a weak team failing is a form of natural selection is "twisted" is a bit over the top. It is a simplification of course, but it's a casual comment on an Internet forum not an academic discussion.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:36 pm 

RaggedMan wrote:
potter84 wrote:
hd23 wrote:

Successful adaptations thrive, unsuccessful adaptations die out. Extinction is a part of the evolutionary process, so saying that a weak team failing is a form of natural selection is "twisted" is a bit over the top. It is a simplification of course, but it's a casual comment on an Internet forum not an academic discussion.

why can it not be an academic discussion as well? :-)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:46 pm 

Shame for the employees. They gave it a good shot.

They're far, far from the worst team to have taken part in the sport.

Should make Qualifying more interesting next year though.
Also, the points system looks a little generous with nearly half the field guaranteed to score next year.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:56 pm 

A very big shame, I really liked the team, they had a very big passion for racing.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:22 pm 

[quote="moby"
Hill also used '0'
His book is actually called Hero to Zero[/quote]
Wrong way round - it was called "Zero to Hero", which makes more sense!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:16 am 

dizlexik wrote:

You're doing a better job than Vettel then. :D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:35 am 

PGracer wrote:
dizlexik wrote:

You're doing a better job than Vettel then. :D

Don't worry, we haven't seen the last of Karthikeyan. Toro Rosso will pick him up and use him to thwart Vettel in the 2013 season as part of a big conspiracy from the FIA and Eccelstone.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:34 am 

Well it was bound to happen. I won't really miss them. Expect from Ricciardo their driver line-ups have been pretty dull. They couldn't bring the same charm to the sport as Minardi did.
I think this is truly the end of Narain's and Pedro's F1 careers and I think it should be that way.

Only 22 drivers for 2013, will this change the qualifying format?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:41 am 

I'm not really that sad. They were starting to be dangerous with the defective components (brakes, etc.), engendering the life of their drivers and the others. F1 is not an amateur racing league. As long as there are at least 10 teams on the grid, I see no reason to worry. It's interesting how the Q1 rules will change though. 5 or 6 cars will be out in Q1?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:19 am 

Gimax wrote:
[quote="moby"
Hill also used '0'

Wrong way round - it was called "Zero to Hero", which makes more sense![/quote]

DOH! :blush: I had just returned from the bar :lol:

Some on here seem to be glad thy are gone, but what ever you thought of them, it is still one less team in F1.
There is only so much surface area on a car and so many sponsors. The bottom end of the grid is a good place for them to dip a toe in.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:03 am 

I love how everyone cares more about the numbering of the cars than HRT shutting down.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:08 am 

Gimax wrote:
moby wrote:
Gimax wrote:
[quote="moby"
Hill also used '0'

Some on here seem to be glad thy are gone, but what ever you thought of them, it is still one less team in F1.
There is only so much surface area on a car and so many sponsors. The bottom end of the grid is a good place for them to dip a toe in.

That probably explains why you quoted the question if anyone other than Hill had the '0' car for two years by saying Hill also had '0' ;)

But I think, may be wrong, Scheckter and Hill are the only two to have used '0'. When Jackie Stewart retired as WDC, Ronnie Peterson drove the number '1' Lotus the following year. There's other examples too, but they escape me without looking them up. I have a feeling in 1971 Lotus also used '1' despite reigning WDC Jochen Rindt dying during his championship year at the wheel of a Lotus.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:14 am 

They should of paid the entry fee, then Atleast they could sell

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:03 pm 

So Quali rules change to 6 cars out in Q1, 6 in Q2 with 10 in Q3? At least we'll lose 2 cars in Q1 now which will be nice.

I will miss HRT, they performed well versus Marussia who have considerably more funding. They were constantly outqualifying them at the pickle end of 2011 and again in the middle of 2012. For a team with no money and barely any organisation I think that's fairly impressive, I've said before that the people who work there clearly have talent, it's just a shame they never got the proper resources to make it count.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:04 pm 

scuderia_stevie wrote:
Gimax wrote:
moby wrote:
Gimax wrote:
[quote="moby"
Hill also used '0'

That probably explains why you quoted the question if anyone other than Hill had the '0' car for two years by saying Hill also had '0' ;)

But I think, may be wrong, Scheckter and Hill are the only two to have used '0'. When Jackie Stewart retired as WDC, Ronnie Peterson drove the number '1' Lotus the following year. There's other examples too, but they escape me without looking them up. I have a feeling in 1971 Lotus also used '1' despite reigning WDC Jochen Rindt dying during his championship year at the wheel of a Lotus.

I think the rules on numbering were much more lax back then. You basically chose your own number didn't you?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:22 pm 

rickyf1 wrote:
They should of paid the entry fee, then Atleast they could sell

If they had $500,000 laying about, and decided to pay the entry fee instead of salaries things would be even worse.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:23 pm 

Volantary wrote:
I think the rules on numbering were much more lax back then. You basically chose your own number didn't you?

1974 was the first full season that drivers ran with the same number in every race. Previously, race organisers had allocated numbers on a race by race basis. For 1974 until 1996 there were fixed numbers for each driver but apart from the previous year's WDC team, the numbers did not relate to past results. Hence, in the years when they weren't entitled to 1 and 2, Ferrari ran their cars with the numbers 27 and 28. From 1996 to date the previous year's WDC team gets 1 and 2 and the other teams get the numbers that reflect their position in the previous season's WCC.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:47 pm 

scuderia_stevie wrote:
Gimax wrote:
moby wrote:
Gimax wrote:
[quote="moby"
Hill also used '0'

Right, time to sneak away from this and hope no one notices :blush:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:53 pm 

and still FIA refuses to give number 13 to any driver :D , really ? does anyone still believe in this bullshit superstitions ?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:39 pm 

RebellionLola wrote:
and still FIA refuses to give number 13 to any driver :D , really ? does anyone still believe in this bullshit superstitions ?

Quite a few F1 drivers probably. It's a quirk, I quite like it

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:45 pm 

RebellionLola wrote:

Ever tried to find a bolt or nut that takes a 13mm spanner on an Asian car?

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."