planetf1.com

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:14 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic

Rookie of the Year
Romain Grosjean 24%  24%  [ 25 ]
Daniel Ricciardo 20%  20%  [ 21 ]
Jean-Eric Vergne 17%  17%  [ 18 ]
Charles Pic 33%  33%  [ 35 ]
Narain Karthikeyan 6%  6%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 105
Author Message
 Post subject: Rookie of the Year
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:49 am
Posts: 2069
Location: Australia
My understanding is that the definition of a rookie is a driver competing in their first full season and I've stuck with that despite the fact that I think sometimes it seems a bit unreasonable to make comparisons when some drivers have had a half season as well. I think I have it right, though open to corrections.

Mine is Vergne. I don't think he's the most talented of the rookies or has the most potential. He was impressive to me because IMO he raced as well as, if not better, than Ricciardo who had a half-season of experience towards the end of last year. He didn't make as many mistakes as the others, and although I expect rookies to make mistakes and overdrive the cars, I think credit where it's due to rookies who don't.

_________________
Twitter @Jo_Soucek


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rookie of the Year
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:40 am
Posts: 463
Location: Canada
im gonna give my point to Pic. Grosjean...... No.... Ricciardo, has had some experience already and imo didnt impess me all that much. Narain, cant really be called a rookie, hes been around for a while. so it was between Vergne and Pic for me. and Pic gave his more experienced team mate Glock a run for his money which is why he got my vote


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rookie of the Year
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:25 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:23 am
Posts: 166
I am really torn because despite all the crashes I find myself rooting for RG. However I couldn't bring myself to vote for him based on actual performance though, so my next pick would be Vergne.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rookie of the Year
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:41 am
Posts: 1619
Ricciardo had half a year's experience in what was essentially a GP2 car and Vergne got plenty of time in a torro rosso doing practice session the year high.

Imo its by far Ricciardo. He has trounced Vergne all season and in a top car the points gap would be far more obvious. The difference between them in qualifying is laughable.

Imo, Vergne is a very good driver. Vettel beat Liuzzi and Bordais and I rate Vergne far better then either of those drivers. For Ricciardo to seem so much faster is very impressive.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rookie of the Year
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:52 am
Posts: 1379
Both Romain and Nahrain have had previous in F1 (if not necessarily a full season) so I'm writing them off. I've been more impressed by Daniel than by Jean-Eric but I'd probably go with Charles Pic on the same basis as Khazrak:
Khazrak134 wrote:
im gonna give my point to Pic... gave his more experienced team mate Glock a run for his money which is why he got my vote
I still rate Timo and felt that he deserved a better drive after Toyota withdrew from F1. For Charles to keep him honest, that's pretty good going in my eyes.

_________________
What did you say... Douglas?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rookie of the Year
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:00 pm
Posts: 2140
Although I think Ricciardo has the brightest future ahead of him, I think Pic showed a lot while having less experience than the others.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rookie of the Year
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:08 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:09 am
Posts: 316
Romain is not a rookie.....more of a Returnee

Narain isnt a rookie too


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rookie of the Year
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:54 pm
Posts: 371
Location: York, United Kingdom.
My vote goes to Pic.

_________________
Lewis Hamilton - 2008 World Drivers Champion! Mercedes - 23 Grand Prix wins.

PF1 Prediction Competition - currently 64th :(


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rookie of the Year
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 4615
If we assume that the Toro Rosso was the worst of the serious teams then Ricciardo has been a monster in quali so I voted for him.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rookie of the Year
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:50 am
Posts: 1188
By your logic shouldn't Senna be there? I vote Senna.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rookie of the Year
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:05 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 4:41 pm
Posts: 468
Location: Royal Wootton Bassett
I voted for Vergne because IMO he showed a tendency for improvement towards the end of the season. He seems to be an upward learning curve and could do better in 2013.

_________________
Vettel / Raikkonen / Button


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rookie of the Year
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:24 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:33 am
Posts: 2145
Ricciardo. By a mile. 17-3 in qualifying says a lot.
Pic was good but Glock was still better overall.
If vergne was as good as people think then Dan might be a match for Vettel one day.
Ricciardo also developed his racecraft in 2012. He was consistently in the points in the second half. In Brazil they chose him for the 'wet experiment'. Why? Consistency..

_________________
2013 PF1 Pick 10 Competition:
- 4 podiums
- 2013 Rookie of the Year
- 2014 Championship leader (post-Austria)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rookie of the Year
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:28 pm
Posts: 295
Location: Barnsley, England
I am a supporter of RoGro, so I voted for him on the basis of that he got quite a few podiums and until the summer break was actually doing quite well in terms of points and nearly winning in Valencia.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rookie of the Year
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:37 pm
Posts: 276
fieldstvl wrote:
By your logic shouldn't Senna be there? I vote Senna.

Bruno Senna had a full season with Hispania Racing in 2010 (apart from the British Grand Prix) and he did 8 races with Lotus in 2011 so I don't think it would be reasonable to to class him as a Rookie for 2012.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rookie of the Year
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:37 am
Posts: 371
Location: East London
How is Narain included in this list? He has a full season at Jordan in 2005 AND raced in half of the 2011 season for HRT.

I voted Pic. Stacked up very well against Glock.

_________________
Quick Nick Heidfeld
KAMUI KOBAYASHI!

PF1 Pick 10! Podiums: 3 (2nd, India 2011; 1st, Japan 2012; 1st, Monaco 2013)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rookie of the Year
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:18 am
Posts: 679
Kimi!!! :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rookie of the Year
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:25 pm 
Pic


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rookie of the Year
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:52 am
Posts: 870
Some of those are not rookies, a null poll.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rookie of the Year
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:29 am
Posts: 379
Location: 127.0.0.1
NK is not rookie :S


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rookie of the Year
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:00 pm
Posts: 305
Wow, surprised many picked Charles Pic too. I like his composure. But not too sure about his raw speed, especially in qualifying.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rookie of the Year
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:05 pm
Posts: 2343
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Only two drivers in the poll are actually rookies of 2012.

_________________
On question about his donuts at the end of the 2007 Belgium Grand Prix, his reply was: “I lost it!”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rookie of the Year
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:52 am
Posts: 870
froze wrote:
Only two drivers in the poll are actually rookies of 2012.


The poll should only have Vergne and Pic, all the others are not rookies, really stupid putting them on the poll. It don't matter what car they been in or what, they have all been in F1 for enough time to not be considered rookies. The only rookies this season are Vergne and Pic. I'm sure we don't need to spell out the definition of rookie.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rookie of the Year
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:27 am
Posts: 410
Must be between Ricciardo and Vergne from the list. But my choice is Vergne because Ricciardo isn't a rookie.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rookie of the Year
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:37 pm
Posts: 276
Jomox wrote:
froze wrote:
Only two drivers in the poll are actually rookies of 2012.


The poll should only have Vergne and Pic, all the others are not rookies, really stupid putting them on the poll. It don't matter what car they been in or what, they have all been in F1 for enough time to not be considered rookies. The only rookies this season are Vergne and Pic. I'm sure we don't need to spell out the definition of rookie.

To be fair, the OP did set out the criterion he was using - not having competed in a complete F1 season and he did express reservations about it.

On that basis, Narain Karthikeyan and Nico Hulkenberg are clearly ineligible: Narain did a full season with Jordan in 2005 and Nico did a full season with Williams in 2010. Bruno Senna is technically eligible because Hispania dropped him for 1 race in 2010. Romain Grosjean is eligible because he only did 7 races in 2009. Daniel Ricciardo is eligible because he only did 11 races for HRT in 2011. There is no question about Jean-Eric Vergne and Charles Pic as neither had done an F1 race before 2012 - but my vote goes to Pic because unlike Vergne, he had not even been an F1 test driver.

The trouble with the OP's definition of a rookie is that it means that Grosjean will still be eligible next year (if he gets a seat). After all, thanks to his 1 race ban, he still hasn't done a complete F1 season!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rookie of the Year
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:30 am
Posts: 411
DR for me i know he had a stint in HRT but being in HRT is hardly the same as being in an actual formula one car


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rookie of the Year
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:09 pm
Posts: 1104
Pic for me. First driver in the Marussia team to actually challenge Glock.

_________________
米克尔 科琳娜 吉娜 米克
Keep Fighting Michael!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rookie of the Year
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:06 am
Posts: 179
Location: Falkirk,Scotland
From the list I'd say Ricciardo,though Pic has been impressive against Glock and Vergne is a good driver but has to improve his qualifying pace.

_________________
R.I.P. Maria De Villota


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rookie of the Year
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:30 am
Posts: 411
Vergne has also made some extremely stupid mistakes throughout the season


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rookie of the Year
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:49 am
Posts: 2069
Location: Australia
Jomox wrote:
Some of those are not rookies, a null poll.

The criteria used by Autosport is that of a driver in their first full season. So whilst I take your point that for some this was not their [i]first[/] season, based on that criteria it was their rookie season. I did explain that in the initial post. I also went with that criteria because I didn't think a poll of Pic vs Vergne would be very interesting for discussion and I also felt that people could factor in the greater experience when making their decisions.

theferret wrote:
How is Narain included in this list? He has a full season at Jordan in 2005 AND raced in half of the 2011 season for HRT.

I voted Pic. Stacked up very well against Glock.

I did indeed make a mistake with Karthikeyan. I knew he'd had part of a season with HRT in 2011 and thought he had had another season somewhere but only checked back as far as 2006. Doh! Fortunately I didn't think he'd be on anyone's lists anyway.

_________________
Twitter @Jo_Soucek


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rookie of the Year
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:43 am
Posts: 24
Location: London
Who voted for Karthikeyan?

_________________
Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rookie of the Year
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 1:29 pm
Posts: 1362
Location: Wrexham, UK
Grosjean, then Pic. I've become fans of both. I genuinely wasn't impressed that RoGro got the drive before the season started, but I've become a big fan of his... so that makes him my rookie of the year. Pic has also gained my support with some good drives and randomly beating the Caterhams in one of the quali sessions. So, them two for me.

_________________
"You are the universe expressing itself as a Human for a little while..."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rookie of the Year
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 1:29 pm
Posts: 1362
Location: Wrexham, UK
gleichgültig wrote:
Who voted for Karthikeyan?

Karthikeyan did.

_________________
"You are the universe expressing itself as a Human for a little while..."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rookie of the Year
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:53 am
Posts: 586
Location: York, United Kingdom.
Gotta be Pic simply because of how close he has been to Glock all season and how consistent he seems to have been. That race where he outqualified his teammate and both Caterhams was phenomenal. I have never really seen what all the Ricciardo hype is because Vergne has outscored him with less experience and has had some very good races (admittedly with poor qualifying).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rookie of the Year
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:16 pm
Posts: 1803
Location: Belgium
I think all of them did good but I'm inclined to vote for Romain. Why is Narain still on the list? 4 people voted for him, are they serious???

_________________
F1 fan since 1989
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rookie of the Year
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:59 pm
Posts: 122
Location: Milton Keynes
Narain is not a rookie?

_________________
Drivers I like:
Raikkonen
Grosjean
Perez
Vettel

Teams I like:
Lotus
Merc
RBR
Marussia


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rookie of the Year
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:42 pm
Posts: 601
Danny_Boy99 wrote:
Narain is not a rookie?


he's the vegetable of the year

_________________
-Ayrton Senna fan-

2013 follower of :

Fernando Alonso


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: chetan_rao, Google Adsense [Bot], Ja'a, KIMBO2, kleefton, nixxxon, shift, VDV23, vikz22 and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group