planetf1.com

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:29 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:54 am 

Is Mr. Bernie Ecclestone is allowed to make such stupid comments about Ferrari complaining on Vettel pass on Vergne. I mean is he the authority to say such things like "complete Joke", "no one knows whats going on", "they (Ferrari) missed that time", "I don't think there needs to be any action taken. It's completely and utterly wrong" and "What can they do? Take civil action? Maybe. But the case is flawed before it starts. Nothing is going to happen"

I believe there is an authority to look at such complains and then decide the appropriate action, Mr. Bernie is no one to say such things, in my opinion he should be banned from the paddock and Ferrari should take a legal action against him.

Liking a certain driver or team is fine but a person sitting on such a responsible seat should not talk like that but hay he may be getting some kind of financial kickback from RB and obliged to do such acts.

To me at his age he can not anymore judge the things correctly and should be sacked with immediate effect to save the sport from further embarrassments.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:03 am 

Sack him? He owns F1.

When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion. - Robert Pirsig

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:30 am 

sultanofhyd wrote:
Sack him? He owns F1.

So we need someone to buy it out, how about Mr. How

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:33 am 

I would argue that this is one of the better statements that Ecclestone has made over the years.

A big part of his 'job' (if you can call it that) is to promote and protect the image of Formula 1 worldwide. That's what attracts the fans and viewers, which in turn provides TV revenue and attracts the sponsors, which is ultimately what keeps the sport going at the level to which we have become accustomed and enjoy. The furore surrounding Vettel's overtake on Vergne was damaging to the image because it called into question the legitimacy of his WDC and detracting from the positive image that the final race had left. Whilst we on here see controversy like this as part of the sport - and in fact I think a lot of us even thrive on it - the casual viewer does not and for them what was attractive was seeing a battle go down to the wire and then being decided in such an extraordinary race and what is unattractive is then hearing reports about the legitimacy of that because then they wonder what the point of it all was. Ecclestone's comments were designed to return the situation to the status quo - which was an epic battle that was decided on track.

In this instance as well, the substance of his comments were accurate as well. Ferrari didn't have any real justification for asking for their clarification or for fuelling the furore that was detracting from the outcome. There were only two foundations on which they could ask for that clarification: regarding the green flag itself in the video or regarding the interaction between flags, lights and dashboard notifications. In the case of the former this all started because a guy watching the onboard MISSED the green flag. It wasn't presented in another countering video and it wasn't questionable as to its location relevant to Vettel's overtake on Vergne. It was there in the footage right from the beginning. Moreover, this wasn't new footage from an angle unavailable to the FIA or the teams, such as a spectator filming. It was Vettel's onboard from the race. In the case of the latter, to suggest that Ferrari didn't understand the flags, lights and dashboard interaction when they have been around for (I think) at least 5 years would be to suggest that they'd been racing for those five years without understanding the conditions under which they were racing, including having dashboard indicators in their car that they didn't understand. That's a ridiculous notion. Ecclestone's comments in this regard were designed to clear up the muddying that had been created.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:15 am 

what happen to freedom of speech???

you hv no right to ask other to shut up..at least Bernie nvr did that to his critics =)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:39 am 

If there is one guy who sometimes makes weird statements and does get away with it not caring what you and I think about it, it is Bernie Ecclestone. He has done much for the sport so he finds it natural he allows himself to speak freely about anything F1 related without getting penalised. That doesn't mean we have to take it for granted. I find myself disagreeing with him more the last past years.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:00 am 

Aside from everything else Bernie is entitled to and opinion and if somebody asks him why should he not give an honest answer?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:13 am 

Hahahaha..... Nktoofan..... That was a joke right? Bernie should be sack For uttering comments? Hahahaha..... That was a good joke. Hey I know this one should be on that Joke Thread.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:23 am 

This is the same Bernie who responded to questioning about Button's attack in Brazil - "what attack? No one's been attacked, that was made up" lol. He says all kinds of things to the media. But he says all the right things to statesmen to get paying GPs on the schedule that give megabucks and give us 20 races. I think in the balance, nobody in the paddock is complaining too much.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:29 am 

Is he allowed? :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:41 am 

Somehow I really like the grumpy old guy. He's so totally unlike those streamlined, always happy smiling, modern PR guys, from whom you only hear wishy washy politically correct and boring statements. Always outspoken and just tells his opinon like it is...

About Bernie's comment: Of course he's allowed to say so and I commend him for doing it in all its clearness.

There was no case, never. Everyone who has eyes in his head could have seen the green flag in the video, so why is there a need for a clarification? The rules are quite clear and no rocket science, flag trumps light, so what? Ferrari could have simply told that to their fans, case closed, see you next season.

But instead they demand a clarification from FIA, as if there was ever something doubtful about it, and, who knows, maybe some dirt will stick at Vettel. A really shabby way to end a great season, Bernie is right for throwing this at Ferrari. x(

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:51 am 

Bernie is a law unto himself.

He is also a great believer in the saying there is no such thing as bad publicity. F1 in the news is F1 in the news.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:55 am 

kai_ wrote:
I would argue that this is one of the better statements that Ecclestone has made over the years.

A big part of his 'job' (if you can call it that) is to promote and protect the image of Formula 1 worldwide. That's what attracts the fans and viewers, which in turn provides TV revenue and attracts the sponsors, which is ultimately what keeps the sport going at the level to which we have become accustomed and enjoy. The furore surrounding Vettel's overtake on Vergne was damaging to the image because it called into question the legitimacy of his WDC and detracting from the positive image that the final race had left. Whilst we on here see controversy like this as part of the sport - and in fact I think a lot of us even thrive on it - the casual viewer does not and for them what was attractive was seeing a battle go down to the wire and then being decided in such an extraordinary race and what is unattractive is then hearing reports about the legitimacy of that because then they wonder what the point of it all was. Ecclestone's comments were designed to return the situation to the status quo - which was an epic battle that was decided on track.

That's what you'd think his job would be, in general though he does all he can to fuel controversy, not defuse it.
F1 is about controversy, if Ecclestone really wanted to calm things down he'd express himself differently.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:27 am 

He can say whatever he wants...it's his cake!

His depan way of commenting on all things are all trademark Bernie.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:29 am 

He wasn't wrong.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:33 am 

To the OP: sack him for simply expressing frustration? Really? Isn't that just a little OTT?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:34 am 

Perhaps Alonso shouldn't accuse other people of cheating, albeit cryptically, when he didn't have hard evidence and was actually caught doing effectively what he accusing Vettel of himself.

Like posts here, Bernie was merely expressing his opinion. His position of power and influence does go a fair way in the sport, but doesn't always count for anything. Take his argument against V6 turbos, still looks like that's going ahead.

Oh, and he was right (says a Ferrari and Vettel fan).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:47 am 

rain wrote:
kai_ wrote:

That's what you'd think his job would be, in general though he does all he can to fuel controversy, not defuse it.
F1 is about controversy, if Ecclestone really wanted to calm things down he'd express himself differently.

I meant controversy that doesn't create positive interest in the sport, as opposed to controversy that does.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:21 am 

Race2win wrote:
Hahahaha..... Nktoofan..... That was a joke right? Bernie should be sack For uttering comments? Hahahaha..... That was a good joke. Hey I know this one should be on that Joke Thread.

Buddy this is serious than anything else you would ever think of. If you are in position of control you should control yourself, bla bla bla for a person in such a responsible position don't seems very correct to me.

I am still thinking of Mr. HOW buying out F1 from the clutches of that Dick Dastardly.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:26 am 

sultanofhyd wrote:
Sack him? He owns F1.

Actually he doesn't the FIA do. He only leased the commercial rights which he sold a chunk off.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:03 pm 

He was more frustrated as it devalues the end of the season, lets face it if he had a case to answer the stewards would have raised it they have far more info at hand than anyone else. I'm not really a vettel or red bull fan but still got the feeling that it was desperate Ferrari clutching at straws, why? I think its to salvage what they think Alonso deserved and they couldn't give him. In my view jobs should be at risk there after what a botch the start of the season was, a team that size and that much experience shouldn't have been so far off the pace

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:02 pm 

nktoofan wrote:
I am still thinking of Mr. HOW buying out F1 from the clutches of that Dick Dastardly.

You know that HOW is a joke, right?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:37 pm 

kai_ wrote:
nktoofan wrote:

I think someone said it quite rightly, It applies here too.... "You can fix everything, but you cant fix STUPID"

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:35 pm 

The WDC was tarnished because of YellowFlagGate. Record books will forever mention this controversy in the same breath as Vettel's tremendous achievement.

Granted, I think the whole thing started when a fan posted the original video and that started a sh*t storm on Twitter and the forums. Ferrari should have taken the high road but they didn't.

That's why Bernie said what he said and I don't blame him one bit for it.

Sack him over this? That's just silly talk.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:40 pm 

nktoofan wrote:
To me at his age he can not anymore judge the things correctly and should be sacked with immediate effect to save the sport from further embarrassments.

Even 'at his age' I suspect he would beat most people on this forum in a battle of wits.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:18 pm 

kai_ wrote:
nktoofan wrote:

You buddy, you, yes you, why are you so negative, try to look at the things from broader prospective and try to enjoy yourself while trying hard to appriciate other.

Why are you soooo gloomy all the times... :]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:44 am 

nktoofan wrote:
kai_ wrote:
nktoofan wrote:

You buddy, you, yes you, why are you so negative, try to look at the things from broader prospective and try to enjoy yourself while trying hard to appriciate other.

Why are you soooo gloomy all the times... :]

This is a discussion board where people bring different opinions, insights, experiences and approaches. So long as I post within the rules I'll participate in discussions as I see fit. Not sure what makes you think you have the right to advise or dictate how others should participate.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:48 am 

nktoofan wrote:
Is Mr. Bernie Ecclestone is allowed to make such stupid comments about Ferrari complaining on Vettel pass on Vergne. I mean is he the authority to say such things like "complete Joke", "no one knows whats going on", "they (Ferrari) missed that time", "I don't think there needs to be any action taken. It's completely and utterly wrong" and "What can they do? Take civil action? Maybe. But the case is flawed before it starts. Nothing is going to happen"

I believe there is an authority to look at such complains and then decide the appropriate action, Mr. Bernie is no one to say such things, in my opinion he should be banned from the paddock and Ferrari should take a legal action against him.

Liking a certain driver or team is fine but a person sitting on such a responsible seat should not talk like that but hay he may be getting some kind of financial kickback from RB and obliged to do such acts.

And there in a nutshell is the authoritarian mindset of the typical Ferrari/Fernando fan. Scary stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:32 am 

kai_ wrote:
nktoofan wrote:

This is worse than the day I found out that Santa wasn't real :( ...

"It's hammer time!"

British Driver Supporter (and Daniel Ricciardo)

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:52 am 

Pedrosa_4_Ever wrote:
kai_ wrote:
nktoofan wrote:

This is worse than the day I found out that Santa wasn't real :( ...

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:02 am 

az1 wrote:
nktoofan wrote:

And there in a nutshell is the authoritarian mindset of the typical Ferrari/Fernando fan. Scary stuff.

You got it all wrong I hate both Alonso and Vettel, its just that I feel Bernie should put a lid to it and should try to balance his act.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:20 am 

nktoofan wrote:
You got it all wrong I hate both Alonso and Vettel, its just that I think Bernie should pit a lid on it and balance his act

nktoofan seriously, get a grip. I dont see anything wrong in what Bernie said and neither does anyone. So lets give it a rest. As for this forum we are all here to have more sensible discussion than to inspire hate towards anyone. Yea we all have our favorite drivers but atleast we dont go spewing hate about others, like you just did up there. So I think you might be better off on the main site where senseless accusations such as yours take place.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:16 am 

nktoofan wrote:

Free country...
Freedom of Speech...
Seeing as he pretty much runs F1 he can damn well say what he wants. I find most of what he says based on an agenda of some sorts, Perhaps this as well, and as such I don't support anything he says personally. This Ferrari comment was quite entertaining though ^_^...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:11 am 

Everyone check out Luca's comments, I am including 2 lines from what he said.

"Ecclestone? We must respect the old people," f1news.ru quotes the Ferrari President as having said, "especially when they reach the point where they are no longer able to watch their words.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:22 am 

Bernie is thrilled about all this. It's got everyone talking F1, what better publicity? And obviously nothing has come of it from a results point of view so no harm done.

Luca's comments are on par with Bernie's. All part of the circus (who the clown is is anyone's guess :P).

2011 Silverstone 1st
2012 Spa 1st
2012 Interlagos 3rd

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:30 am 

nktoofan wrote:

"Ecclestone? We must respect the old people," f1news.ru quotes the Ferrari President as having said, "especially when they reach the point where they are no longer able to watch their words.

Montezemolo's comments don't automatically add weight to your perspective. It isn't going to change my opinion of Ecclestone's comments. Montezemolo has his own agenda in all this, which is to stand up for Ferrari. His comments are along the lines of 'can't win the argument so I'll insult the arguer' and IMO they are nothing more than childish and petty.

I don't know why you are so determined that everybody reach consensus and agree with you. It's never going to happen. People have different perspectives and whilst sometimes perspectives will change when new information comes to light or when alternative insight is given, when it comes to opinions about subjective matters this is not always the case and certainly never going to be the case with everyone.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:43 pm 

kai_ wrote:
nktoofan wrote:

Montezemolo's comments don't automatically add weight to your perspective. It isn't going to change my opinion of Ecclestone's comments. Montezemolo has his own agenda in all this, which is to stand up for Ferrari. His comments are along the lines of 'can't win the argument so I'll insult the arguer' and IMO they are nothing more than childish and petty.

I don't know why you are so determined that everybody reach consensus and agree with you. It's never going to happen. People have different perspectives and whilst sometimes perspectives will change when new information comes to light or when alternative insight is given, when it comes to opinions about subjective matters this is not always the case and certainly never going to be the case with everyone.

My dear please note following clarifications.

1. I don't even wanted to comment on your thoughts above as to me they are more target oriented then posing anything positive.
2. I am not trying to enforce my thoughts as I believe everyone here is adult enough and therefore entitled to their own opinion.
3. I am not a Ferrari's fan and as such don't like bernie either but that's my opinion and I am born free to put it forward.
4. I am not trying to win any argument here and therefore not trying to insult you or anyone else, in fact I did not personally knows even a single person commenting here so no personal strings attached.
5. Both Bernie and Luca need to grow up and stop giving childish comments publicly.
6. Yes both of them have there own agendas and that is to run their respective organization successfully.
7. My point of starting this thread is to point out that Bernie is sitting on top rung of F1 management and therefore he should behave professionally and let the rule and regulations take the proceedings.
8. I am surprised to see that the same people who thinks that Luca comments are childish also thinks Bernie is right in saying whatever rubbish he is saying... amazing eh.
9. I don't know why so much hue and cry is raised when all Ferrari is wanted to clarify something, I do understand that they are desperate to see Fernando wining the title but they clearly said that they are accepting FIA's verdict.
10. People should be balance in their thoughts as on one hand they say that Ferrari is making an issue out of nothing and on the other hand they failed to see that Vettel is helped by his rivals to 6th place as no one dare to come into his path or tried challenging him for that spot and it was quite a smooth sailing for him all the way.

So all I am saying my friend is F1 being the pinnacle of motorsport should be handled in professional manner by all involved.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:24 pm 

For all we know, Ecclestone may tell the relevant parties what he intends to say, so they'd have time to prepare for it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:44 pm 

Allowed?! lol why?? Because he was completely right?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:49 pm 

Why is thread still active?? It is pointless and doesnt serve any purpose other than speak drivel about someones comments for no apparent reason.