planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:53 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:10 pm 

It's a popularity vote at the end of the day by mostly British readership. More Button fans bothered to vote than Hamilton fans. That's all. Same goes for Vettel beating Alonso. Ferrari are still the bad guys to much of the British F1 fan populous.

The only award that really means anything is the BRDC main one. Perhaps something like the Gregor Grant award too. The rest are just whoever is most popular that year.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:16 pm 

Laura23 wrote:
It's a popularity vote at the end of the day by mostly British readership. More Button fans bothered to vote than Hamilton fans. That's all. Same goes for Vettel beating Alonso. Ferrari are still the bad guys to much of the British F1 fan populous.

The only award that really means anything is the BRDC main one. Perhaps something like the Gregor Grant award too. The rest are just whoever is most popular that year.

Vettel is WDC, therefore the award is OK. But to vote JB as best British driver makes the price a joke, and cost Autosport credibillity IMO. Even if the Brits don't like Hamilton, Paffett is british , and Huff, too, and both have been much better than Jenson Button this season.
What's the difference to X-factor votes there?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:22 pm 

Haribo wrote:
Laura23 wrote:

Vettel is WDC, therefore the award is OK. But to vote JB as best British driver makes the price a joke, and cost Autosport credibillity IMO. Even if the Brits don't like Hamilton, Paffett is british , and Huff, too, and both have been much better than Jenson Button this season.

Did it have anything to do with JB being the only guy nominated who seemingly turned up?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:23 pm 

button winning british driver of the year is like torres winning Premier League player of the year

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:23 pm 

Senna88 wrote:
Haribo wrote:
Laura23 wrote:

Did it have anything to do with JB being the only guy nominated who seemingly turned up?

They tell them before

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:29 pm 

RebellionLola wrote:
button winning british driver of the year is like torres winning Premier League player of the year

Or Rylan winning the Xfactor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:32 pm 

RebellionLola wrote:

Or John Terry being nominated for sports personality of the year? (Not trying to compare JB to a man tried for racism though!)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:44 pm 

It's a popularity vote, not a true reflection of who's best. Just like most fan voted awards and polls are. The guy with the most fans voting will win. Button fans must have outnumbered Hamilton fans. That's all. Drivers like Paffett and Huff will never win those kinds of awards as long as there are race winning F1 drivers from the same country around because of the following F1 gets over their catergory.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:16 pm 

I don't think it is popularity as i would guess LH has more British fans than JB.

I thought it was also weird yesterday that Button won it, Hamilton has been very good this season.

maybe it was his offtrack behavior that lost him that, tweeting telemetry and bashing JB. i think some consider this award as a role model for upcoming British racers and with Hamilton's twitter incidents this year maybe some thought that the younger guys should look up to Button's attitude instead?

+JB won the last race, which does change some mentalities, F1 is quite fickle.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:48 pm 

Did SilverstoneRegular Vote a million times?

I like Jenson but no way does he deserve that over Lewis.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:55 pm 

sennafan24 wrote:

He was too busy making the 2013 WDC championship for Jenson in his sleep

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:44 pm 

M.Nader -DODZ- wrote:
Maybe it was his offtrack behavior that lost him that, tweeting telemetry and bashing JB. i think some consider this award as a role model for upcoming British racers and with Hamilton's twitter incidents this year maybe some thought that the younger guys should look up to Button's attitude instead?

You have point there. JB is definitely a better role model for young drivers than LH and that could have swung the vote in the former's favour.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:47 pm 

MclarenBullet wrote:
sennafan24 wrote:

He was too busy making the 2013 WDC championship for Jenson in his sleep

Hahaha classic! Seriously I was shocked when I read it, Lewis has had a great year but maybe the other DODZ is right and the off track stuff swung it.

Where were all the Lewis fans for the voting? (I didn't know the competition was based on votes) the level of love shown by the Lewis fans on here should've seen him take this award!

It ain't hating just 'cause it's not love

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:51 pm 

M.Nader -DODZ- wrote:
I don't think it is popularity as i would guess LH has more British fans than JB.

You'd be surprised - amongst the casual British fans (i.e. the majority) I'd say Jenson is almost definitely the more popular. I've met more than one numpty who has expressed a dislike for Hamilton over his tax dodging, only to be shocked when I point out that Jenson doesn't pay tax either.

Still, I think analyzing who won in any great detail would involve taking the awards rather more seriously than anyone who was in attendance last night. McLaren BRDC Award aside, none of them make any difference whatsoever to a driver's career. It's just an excuse for an end-of-year industry bash.

SilverstoneRegular wrote:
Where were all the Lewis fans for the voting? (I didn't know the competition was based on votes) the level of love shown by the Lewis fans on here should've seen him take this award!

They were busy arguing and starting anti-JB/Macca threads in this place.

Zekenwolf wrote:
M.Nader -DODZ- wrote:
Maybe it was his offtrack behavior that lost him that, tweeting telemetry and bashing JB. i think some consider this award as a role model for upcoming British racers and with Hamilton's twitter incidents this year maybe some thought that the younger guys should look up to Button's attitude instead?

You have point there. JB is definitely a better role model for young drivers than LH and that could have swung the vote in the former's favour.

Now he is, but people who believe Hamilton's behaviour has been totally out of order need to remember that JB was exactly the same when he was first in the sport. It's all part of the experience Button's grown up now and is level headed Hamilton will get there in time.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:52 pm 

...and this award is for THIS year, so what Jenson did a hundred years ago at the beginning of his career doesn't matter.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:53 pm 

M.Nader -DODZ- wrote:
maybe it was his offtrack behavior that lost him that, tweeting telemetry and bashing JB.

Genuinely interested, when did Hamilton bash Button?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:53 pm 

Senna88 wrote:
Zekenwolf wrote:
M.Nader -DODZ- wrote:

Now he is, but people who believe Hamilton's behaviour has been totally out of order need to remember that JB was exactly the same when he was first in the sport. It's all part of the experience Button's grown up now and is level headed Hamilton will get there in time.

Hamilton is 28 in Jan. He shouldn't still need time to grow up as a person. He should have done that a while ago. When Button first came into the sport he was barely 20.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:02 pm 

If you've been a professional racing driver since becoming a pre-teen, and a "star" for most of your life, you never get the basic life experiences that "regular" people get - and that will affect you for your whole life, never mind your late 20's.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:05 pm 

ashley313 wrote:
If you've been a professional racing driver since becoming a pre-teen, and a "star" for most of your life, you never get the basic life experiences that "regular" people get - and that will affect you for your whole life, never mind your late 20's.

Still doesn't excuse some of the behaviour Hamilton has displayed over the years. For a 28 year old man he is very immature at times, far more immature than some of his peers. Everyone has faults though.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:08 pm 

ashley313 wrote:
...and this award is for THIS year, so what Jenson did a hundred years ago at the beginning of his career doesn't matter.

All I was saying that it shows that it takes time for some people to mature and to become respected members of the F1 community hence why Jenson is now more infinitely more popular and respected by his peers and many fans than he was from around 2001-2005, and how Lewis should eventually get there with time.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:20 pm 

Lojik wrote:
M.Nader -DODZ- wrote:
maybe it was his offtrack behavior that lost him that, tweeting telemetry and bashing JB.

When he thought JB unfollowed him and said something along: you would think he would have more respect since we are still teammates.

actually it is interesting that i haven't seen any Lewis tweets lately, has he given up on the whole thing?

i was really looking forward to the Rosberg/Lewis telemetry and see how they driver differently :) (don't take this part seriously!)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:25 pm 

Adit N. wrote:
Eh, my bad. Yes I saw the list but I think I did miss his name. Sorry.

Why let the truth get in the way of a good troll eh? ;)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:27 pm 

M.Nader -DODZ- wrote:
Lojik wrote:
M.Nader -DODZ- wrote:

When he thought JB unfollowed him and said something along: you would think he would have more respect since we are still teammates.

actually it is interesting that i haven't seen any Lewis tweets lately, has he given up on the whole thing?

i was really looking forward to the Rosberg/Lewis telemetry and see how they driver differently :) (don't take this part seriously!)

Yeah, he gave up after the whole 'Button unfollowed me' saga (if you can call it that!) quite funny as now only Button and Alonso are the 'big names' in F1 that are on twitter. No Lewis, Vettel or Kimi. Technically Kimi has an account but it is just done by a PR person at Lotus.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:30 pm 

Senna88 wrote:
M.Nader -DODZ- wrote:
Lojik wrote:
M.Nader -DODZ- wrote:

Yeah, he gave up after the whole 'Button unfollowed me' saga (if you can call it that!) quite funny as now only Button and Alonso are the 'big names' in F1 that are on twitter. No Lewis, Vettel or Kimi. Technically Kimi has an account but it is just done by a PR person at Lotus.

no Kimi doesn't have any, not even a PR one IIRC. it has been denied repeatedly

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:46 pm 

Button winning the award is nothing short of lunacy.
I guess explains why Button is so highly rated, his popularity clearly helps I suppose..

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:49 pm 

WTF?? Button wins and award this year??!!

What a load of bollocks :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:01 pm 

Emerson.F wrote:

There there son.. The hurt will go away.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:04 pm 

Mr-E wrote:
Emerson.F wrote:

There there son.. The hurt will go away.

Don't worry, Lewis won an award at the BRDC awards this evening, Jenson also won an award for best kiss donkey of the season for his amazing meal for the media

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:05 pm 

It's just awards of some weekly magazine. What difference does it make who wins what? On WDC standings Hamilton was the British Competition Driver of the Year, considering F1 as the pinnacle of motorsport.

I'm going to quote Kimi here: "You don’t drive races on paper."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:25 pm 

Autosport shot them self in the foot here, now have the reputation of biased farce awards, that's the gossip in the paddock now anyways.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:29 pm 

Mr-E wrote:

Do you actually believe Button deserved that award more than Hamilton?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:34 pm 

Sheepgobba wrote:
Mr-E wrote:

Where in that quoted post did I say that? Please..

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:34 pm 

Sheepgobba wrote:
Mr-E wrote:

No not at all, but where did you get that I did out of my post?!

It ain't hating just 'cause it's not love

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:45 pm 

Laura23 wrote:
ashley313 wrote:

Still doesn't excuse some of the behaviour Hamilton has displayed over the years. For a 28 year old man he is very immature at times, far more immature than some of his peers. Everyone has faults though.

I don't see anything wich makes Jenson button better than Lewis Hamilton

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:47 pm 

Haribo wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
ashley313 wrote:

You obviously don't look very hard then. Both have faults. Both have things they excel at.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:48 pm 

Jomox wrote:
Autosport shot them self in the foot here, now have the reputation of biased farce awards, that's the gossip in the paddock now anyways.

The awards have always been voted for by the public. Nothing has changed. If anything Autosport has always been a magazine that favours Hamilton in it's content, it's readers clearly favour Button though. Simple as that.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:51 pm 

Jomox wrote:

Gossip in the paddock? What race is on this weekend for there to be a paddock?

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:02 pm 

Laura23 wrote:
Haribo wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
ashley313 wrote:

You obviously don't look very hard then. Both have faults. Both have things they excel at.

in terms of being " mature" and crap like this. I found it very mature Hamilton spent 2 weeks of his holidays at the side of his dying aunt in hospital, while others of his family where still on holidays. This needs a whole a lot of maturity, to take care for a terminal ill person and stay there to the very end .Therfore Hamilton got huge respect from me. The other thing was going in the outskirts of India(or Manila last year), to make himself a picture of starving babies and their mothers who life in the streets.
To go there where it hurts, to go there personally is something you need not only maturity.