planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:02 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:13 pm 

It's a joke that Button got British Racing Driver of the Year, but then again, that's classic Britain - rewarding mediocrity.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:13 pm 

Its a public vote so anything is possible. Public votes are generally a popularity contest and if the vote must have been held after the Brazilian GP, I see a large swing going to Button. Many casual fans are massively influenced by the last race in forming opinions.

I am guessing Jenson must have won this the last 3 years straight?

Edit - It seems Lewis is not that popular with their demographic, baring his 2007 season where it would have been impossible to give it to anybody else. Jenson is very popular in the UK. 4 wins in 7 years.

2006-Button
2007-Hamilton
2008- Allan Mcnish (Le mans sports cars)
2009- Button
2010-Franchitti (Indy car)
2011-Button
2012-Button

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:27 pm 

lamo wrote:
Its a public vote so anything is possible. Public votes are generally a popularity contest and if the vote must have been held after the Brazilian GP, I see a large swing going to Button. Many casual fans are massively influenced by the last race in forming opinions.

Edit - It seems Lewis is not that popular with their demographic, baring his 2007 season where it would have been impossible to give it to anybody else. Jenson is very popular in the UK. 4 wins in 7 years.

2006-Button
2007-Hamilton
2009- Button
2011-Button
2012-Button

He won International Racing Driver of The Year in 2004 as well, beating Schuey even though he'd won his 7th title. Button is a popular guy and in such a system he'll always do well.

Get well soon Schumi. Keep fighting as hard as we know you can. Thinking of Corinna, Gina-Maria, Mick and the rest of the Schumacher family.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:44 pm 

Jomox wrote:
Autosport shot them self in the foot here, now have the reputation of biased farce awards, that's the gossip in the paddock now anyways.

:lol: :lol: :lol: what?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:21 pm 

Inappropriate post removed.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:33 pm 

sennafan24 wrote:
Did SilverstoneRegular Vote a million times?

I like Jenson but no way does he deserve that over Lewis.

To SilverstoneRegular's credit, even he thinks Lewis should have won it.

If I was Jenson, I would not have shown up, knowing that I was absolutely killed this year by my team mate, who happens to be a Brit.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:35 pm 

SilverPower wrote:

I can't work out if that's sarcasm or accusing Autosport and autosport readers of Racisim?

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:39 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:46 pm 

Laura23 wrote:
lamo wrote:

2006-Button
2007-Hamilton
2009- Button
2011-Button
2012-Button

He won International Racing Driver of The Year in 2004 as well, beating Schuey even though he'd won his 7th title. Button is a popular guy and in such a system he'll always do well.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:46 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:47 pm 

SilverPower wrote:

Its not even that far fetched. Even Paul Diresta deserved that award more than JB. :nod:
It's a absolute farce :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:53 pm 

Emerson.F wrote:
SilverPower wrote:

Its not even that far fetched. Even Paul Diresta deserved that award more than JB. :nod:

Omg children. Compared to you lot Lewis is the king of maturity.
Let me ask you... Since the award obviously doesn't mean anything according to you why do you keep crying about it in this thread? Do you hate Button that much?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:56 pm 

SilverPower wrote:

or possibly, its just the fact (like Laura keeps saying) that its a popularity contest and he's more popular with autosport readers. He's been around longer and therefore may have more older fans than Lewis, and lets be fair how many people under 25 buy autosport as a percentage? I dont know, but I'm guessing quite low.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:57 pm 

Emerson.F wrote:

Well at least you are proving why that mod had good reason to close your other thread.

The level of maturity of Hamilton fans in this thread astounds me. Some of you are seriously suggesting Lewis didn't win because of his skin colour? Pathetic.

Button is popular with the British public. Get over it. It's a Magazine award FFS.

Get well soon Schumi. Keep fighting as hard as we know you can. Thinking of Corinna, Gina-Maria, Mick and the rest of the Schumacher family.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:57 pm 

SilverPower wrote:

So you reckon he lost the award because he's black?

Nothing to do with the tweets (Parts one and two) ? Constantly digs saying it wasn't Seb but Newey? Claims that Button didn't beat him last year but "Beat himself" during the winter break?

Among other things.

Nope it must be because motorsport fans and publications are racist :uhoh: :dead:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:58 pm 

minchy wrote:
SilverPower wrote:

or possibly, its just the fact (like Laura keeps saying) that its a popularity contest and he's more popular with autosport readers. He's been around longer and therefore may have more older fans than Lewis, and lets be fair how many people under 25 buy autosport as a percentage? I dont know, but I'm guessing quite low.

This.

The fact Hamilton fans are getting in such a tizz over one British publications publically voted for awards for an award that really means nothing is hilarious. Hamilton won't care.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:02 pm 

"The definition of racism as I understand it is, the believe that a certain human race is superior than any or all others. What I said did not remotely come close to that."

MOD EDIT: Everyone bar you seems to disagree. Enjoy your holiday.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:08 pm 

Quote:
Race discrimination

Race discrimination occurs when a person is treated less favourably because of race, colour, and nationality, ethnic or national origin.

direct discrimination: treating someone less favourably because of their actual or perceived race, or because of the race of someone with whom they associate

http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1849

To me with your comment of "He's not white" fits perfectly in those definitions.

As for gravitating towards people you look like. I'm white and much to my Mrs dismay look nothing like Button :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:09 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:09 pm 

Laura23 wrote:
minchy wrote:
SilverPower wrote:
Johnston wrote:
SilverPower wrote:

I can't work out if that's sarcasm or accusing Autosport and autosport readers of Racisim?

There is no sarcasm. I couldn't find any other reason. This was the 2012 British Competition Driver of the Year, not the most matured. Sometimes you have to call a spade a spade, and not a digging implement.

This.

The fact Hamilton fans are getting in such a tizz over one British publications publically voted for awards for an award that really means nothing is hilarious. Hamilton won't care.

Laura, you have your theory and I have mine. You subscribe to the idea that it is/may be because Button is more likeable, or more matured, I on the other hand believe there are other factors in play. It may very well be that there is a degree of both at work here. These things are never black and white, pardon the pun, they are mostly a shade of grey.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:10 pm 

Johnston wrote:
Quote:
Race discrimination

Race discrimination occurs when a person is treated less favourably because of race, colour, and nationality, ethnic or national origin.

direct discrimination: treating someone less favourably because of their actual or perceived race, or because of the race of someone with whom they associate

To me with your comment of "He's not white" fits perfectly in those definitions.

As for gravitating towards people you look like. I'm white and much to my Mrs dismay look nothing like Button :lol:

This is what those fans have left to cling to, that we don't adore and worship Lewis because we are racist!!

It ain't hating just 'cause it's not love

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:14 pm 

Emerson.F wrote:
Mr-E wrote:
Emerson.F wrote:
SilverPower wrote:
schumi7 wrote:
How on earth did Lewis not win the British driver of the year award? Crazy.

He is not white. Otherwise Lewis beat Button in every which way [sic] measurable.

Omg children. Compared to you lot Lewis is the king of maturity.
Let me ask you... Since the award obviously doesn't mean anything according to you why do you keep crying about it in this thread? Do you hate Button that much?

No i just dont rate him as high as you do. its nothing personal because he seems like a great guy on camera.
But as somebody else has said sometimes you got too call a spade a spade. And if ever was there a good point raising this its now. This is a complete farce. Doesnt really bother me at all. The fact that it even happened is reason enough too raise some legitimate questions. Would you agree?

But that's what I'm saying.. It obviously does. If you didn't care at all why are you even taking the time to post in this thread. And even calling JB worse than Di Resta in order to show just how bad you think JB is. x(
And I don't rate Hamilton as good as you do but I don't take every shot at the guy I can find.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:18 pm 

Johnston wrote:
Quote:
Race discrimination

In the real world, people gravitate to people who look like them. This happens in all social settings, dating, friendship, etc. We will like to bury our heads in the sand and think these things don't happen, but they do.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:22 pm 

OMG the effing racism card again! x( Some people really need to grow up.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:30 pm 

Remind yourselves of the rules, guys.

REPORT offensive posts, don't quote them.
Suggesting a publication[s readership] is racist could land the entire website in a lot of trouble, so don't do it.

If we continue to have a problem here I'm locking the thread and that'll be the end of it. I was under the impression the majority of members here were grown up, but I'm seriously starting to wonder.

Rules - Last updated 9 Sep 2013: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12&p=34#p34

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:29 pm 

P-F1 Mod wrote:

Suggesting a publication[s readership] is racist could land the entire website in a lot of trouble, so don't do it.

If we continue to have a problem here I'm locking the thread and that'll be the end of it. I was under the impression the majority of members here were grown up, but I'm seriously starting to wonder.

What was so offensive that i said? You guya are totally inconsistant with the modding imo.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:31 pm 

Emerson.F wrote:
P-F1 Mod wrote:

What was so offensive that i said? You guya are totally inconsistant with the modding imo.

They've not done anything to you have they?

It ain't hating just 'cause it's not love

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:38 pm 

@ Mr.E

But that's what I'm saying.. It obviously does. If you didn't care at all why are you even taking the time to post in this thread. And even calling JB worse than Di Resta in order to show just how bad you think JB is. x(
And I don't rate Hamilton as good as you do but I don't take every shot at the guy I can find.

its too bad Autosport.com has Disabled all comments. Because we would see a lot of my comments beign repeated. Just look at the comment sections on this topic. its the general consensus that is is a big farce. Just wait will it get posted on Skyf1 and watch the comment section. We would have the same type of upheaval if Massa was announced as best Ferrari driver of this season or am i wrong?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formul ... award.html

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:43 pm 
Emerson.F wrote:
P-F1 Mod wrote:

PF1-Mod didn't name any names did they?

If you have a problem PM us or use the Feedback thread. Don't derail this one. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:44 pm 

Since I was born.

British competition drivers of the year...

1985 Nigel Mansell
1986 Nigel Mansell
1987 Jonathan Palmer
1988 Martin Brundle
1989 Nigel Mansell
1990 Martin Brundle
1991 Nigel Mansell
1992 Derek Warwick
1993 Damon Hill
1994 David Coulthard
1995 Damon Hill
1996 Damon Hill
1997 Mark Blundell
1998 Dario Franchitti
1999 Eddie Irvine
2000 David Coulthard
2001 David Coulthard
2002 David Coulthard
2003 Jenson Button
2004 Andy Priaulx
2005 Dan Wheldon
2006 Jenson Button
2007 Lewis Hamilton
2008 Allan McNish
2009 Jenson Button
2010 Dario Franchitti
2011 Jenson Button
2012 Jenson Button

Button is on top with 5 awards

International driver...

1985 Alain Prost
1986 Nigel Mansell
1987 Nigel Mansell
1988 Ayrton Senna
1989 Jean Alesi
1990 Ayrton Senna
1991 Ayrton Senna
1992 Nigel Mansell
1993 Nigel Mansell
1994 Damon Hill
1995 Michael Schumacher
1996 Damon Hill
1997 Jacques Villeneuve
1998 Mika Hakkinen
1999 Mika Hakkinen
2000 Michael Schumacher
2001 Michael Schumacher
2002 Michael Schumacher
2003 Juan Pablo Montoya
2004 Jenson Button
2005 Kimi Raikkonen
2006 Fernando Alonso
2007 Lewis Hamilton
2008 Lewis Hamilton
2009 Jenson Button
2010 Sebastian Vettel
2011 Sebastian Vettel
2012 Sebastian Vettel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:47 pm 

Clearly Lewis deserved it but f**k 'em, he more than likely doesn't care about this award, knows (like everyone else truly does) he was the best British driver out there this year and when he drags the Merc into title contention next year (hopefully ;) ), he'll have proved it again. Who a bunch of hacks and fanboys voted for means nothing.

"Don't worry, I'm pushing like a hell!"

British Driver Supporter (and Daniel Ricciardo)

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

Last edited by Pedrosa_4_Ever on Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:47 pm 

Am I literally the only British guy on here who likes both Hamilton AND Button? Did not realise there were so many pathetic fans from both corners, seriously some of you need to calm the hell down it was just an award from a magazine read mainly by middle aged blokes and yet you would of thought they had tried to murder Hamilton judging by the comments on here.

That said some of the JB only fans are not covering themselves in glory on here either...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:10 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:13 pm 

sgt.hartman wrote:

Peter Sauber coming to collect his trophy and Button already there waiting for his?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:16 pm 

Hamilton has got an award, too. He , Alonso, Horner & Newey got a BRDC award yesterday

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:33 pm 

Haribo wrote:
Hamilton has got an award, too. He , Alonso, Horner & Newey got a BRDC award yesterday

Adrian wore the same hideous shirt to the BRDC awards that he wore to the Autosport event last night, minus the hideous bowtie. I wonder if the party got out of hand last night and he didn't go straight to the BRDC luncheon today :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:33 pm 

Just wow.

I thought this forum was better than the Autosport forum. Apparently I was wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:37 pm 

Haribo wrote:

This award holds allot more weight then most, and allot more than the Autosport awards. Autosport awards are very minor compared.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:40 pm 

Senna88 wrote:
Am I literally the only British guy on here who likes both Hamilton AND Button? Did not realise there were so many pathetic fans from both corners, seriously some of you need to calm the hell down it was just an award from a magazine read mainly by middle aged blokes and yet you would of thought they had tried to murder Hamilton judging by the comments on here.

That said some of the JB only fans are not covering themselves in glory on here either...

Nope I support both of them, but I hardly post because of the shitstorm that occurs when either are mentioned.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:46 pm 

Senna88 wrote:

Thank god someone else sees this, not just me

Some of the Button fans on here are a carbon copy of the Lewis fans they are criticising

Pot calling kettle

2013: 12th
2014: 50th