planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:08 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:42 pm 

One thing that I don't think that can be overestimated, is the desire to be seen as a great of the sport. Whilst I'm in no doubt that his three back-to-back World Championships will mean that he is held in that regard, as long as it stays at Red Bull Racing there will always be that nagging question: "Was he that good or was it the car?". Especially given that they have all come together, with three World Constructors Championships to boot, you could quite easily come to the conclusion that the car has done all the work*. Add into the mix that Mark Webber could easily have walked away with the 2010 title in the same car.

However, I suspect that Vettel will know that he can eliminate all of those doubts by winning a fourth title (and maybe more) at a second team. Suddenly it's not just the machinery, but the prominence of the man becomes greater. Add to the mix some of the points raised already about the Ferrari and their history and the similarities of Schumacher moving for a new challenge, and you can see exactly why such a move would appeal - even at a time when he's got it all at Red Bull. Whilst at this moment in time it may seem crazy to leave the dominant team, I think it is probable, that we'll see Vettel driving for another constructor at the end of his current deal and I believe the only team that will be prepared to pay for that privilege is Ferrari.

*Should point out that, given this is my first post, this is a case of playing devil's advocate, and I don't believe this to necessarily be the case!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:44 pm 

I think the desire to be great surely CAN be overestimated. Not everyone drives to be called "great". Some drive to prove to THEMSELVES that they can do something. Does it mean something to have recognition and fame? Yes. Is it more important than your own goals? Not for some.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:52 pm 

Perhaps so. However, you could argue that there could be an element of self doubt? Or indeed, the goal to emulate his hero could drive him on. I think it is telling in his interview with the BBC last weekend Vettel mentioned it was his dream just to get to race in Formula 1, let alone winning titles, so you could be right. If he never dreamt he'd make it this far, why would he stop doing what he maybe thought was beyond him? Personally, as mentioned above, I think he'll make that move, but that's probably because it's what I'd do, so I'm reasoning it from my own perspective.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:38 pm 

Could he make the move sometime? Yeah of course. Is he thinking about it now? I seriously doubt it. All indications are that Sebastian is most proud of what RBR has accomplished as a team. And he's said many times that the hardest thing is to win after you've won. I think that means he will continue trying to get to the top with his current package. I don't see that desire changing until the package changes, and I don't believe anyone at RBR intends to change the package any time soon. Its not like its only gotten easier for him - this season was monumentally difficult, so the challenge hasn't diminished. Why walk away from that challenge to go somewhere that ISN'T family, that requires a lot more of your already limited freedom (remember this is a driver who turned down a salary increase because he didn't want to do more PR work, and has no manager or personal endorsements despite possibly being one of the most valuable athletes in the world), and has proven incapable of beating what you already have? No brainer. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he never drives for another team, outside the Red Bull family. Its a different era now with how organizations are bringing drivers along. Yes, development programs have always existed, but not like they do now. Lewis has had a similar experience though the McLaren umbrella is not quite as broad as that of Red Bull. The only difference I see is that Lewis' "family" has not done him well. They haven't put him in the best possible situation to succeed, both on the track and off it. That is, I believe, why he has said goodbye.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:48 pm 

I would rank Vettel moving to Ferarri as likely as Hamiltion moving to Mercedes...

It is terribly unlikely, but things that are unlikely tend to happen in F1.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:52 pm 

lol I didn't think it was unlikely for Lewis to go to Merc at all

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:03 pm 

ashley313 wrote:

Ashley,

You have to admit that is easy to say that now... but did you really think that say last year?
;)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:16 pm 

As the great man once said "Anything can happen in Formula one"

Expect the unexpected.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:26 pm 

Blake wrote:
ashley313 wrote:

Ashley,

You have to admit that is easy to say that now... but did you really think that say last year?
;)

Yeah. I can recall conversations with F1 friends, as early as Brazil 2011, where we all surmised if McLaren didn't give him a good shot at a title this year he'd be off to Merc or Lotus.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:29 pm 

ashley313 wrote:
Blake wrote:
ashley313 wrote:

Ashley,

;)

Yeah. I can recall conversations with F1 friends, as early as Brazil 2011, where we all surmised if McLaren didn't give him a good shot at a title this year he'd be off to Merc or Lotus.

Great spot! Should've speculated and put a few ££ on it.. Would've paid for a race ticket for sure!

It ain't hating just 'cause it's not love