planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:10 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:09 pm 

RoGro really impressed me today, beating Vettel ans Schumacher and he is the Champion of ChampionS!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:34 pm 

orbthef1fan wrote:
RoGro really impressed me today, beating Vettel ans Schumacher and he is the Champion of ChampionS!

That should get him his seat back at Lotus?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:41 pm 

Not to mention its a week closer to Christmas this year, and the off-track commitments for drivers just keep growing and growing every year. Team holiday parties, award programs, sponsor events. Fernando for example was too busy dressing up like Santa today to participate in ROC :lol: For the guys competing today - tonight is the beginning of their off season, and some of them will be back to work straight after new years. Can't blame the others for wanting to maximize their time off, especially if they had a tough season. The location this year is less convenient than the European venues too. I say be glad for who we DO get to see. There were winners of more than twenty major world championships competing this year.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:01 pm 

Johnston wrote:
Jomox wrote:

Sure I enjoyed it, but just saying. And yes I do think the other top drivers (and champions) not taking part are pussies. But still as it gets weaker each year it gets less enjoyable to watch as less talent overall to enjoy watching.

Why are they pussies? Some have other obligations. For example Webbo is just after having an Op.

Also, it is in Thailand - pretty far away this year. When it is closer in, there seem to be a greater number of high profile drivers.

Last edited by bourbon19 on Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:01 pm 

We need Lewis and Alonso in this event.

More viewers and money FACT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:09 pm 

MclarenBullet wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Considering the event existed before they started inviting F1 guys I hardly think thats a problem .

Oh and I don't think Lew Lew has ever done it.

I would go more with the location this year.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:18 pm 

RoGro was already one of my favourite drivers, to see him win the RoC is amazing! Really hope he retains his Lotus seat for next year.

Perez
Vettel

Teams I like:
Lotus
Merc
RBR
Marussia

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:37 pm 

Amazing what he can do when there are no other cars on the same track.

Champions are made from something they have deep inside of them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have the skill & the will but the will must be stronger than the skill. Muhammad Ali

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:42 pm 

Oh hell yeah!!! Suck it Germans!!! Joke.

Great to see! :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:20 pm 

Congrats to RoGro! Shame about Schu, but hey you can't always win.

Forza Jules!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:18 pm 

Johnston wrote:
MclarenBullet wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Considering the event existed before they started inviting F1 guys I hardly think thats a problem .

Oh and I don't think Lew Lew has ever done it.

I would go more with the location this year.

You mean this Lew Lew

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:28 pm 

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:30 pm 

didn't Vettel have a mechanical problem on his car?

3-Hamilton

Last edited by redjohn on Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:01 pm 

redjohn wrote:
didn't Vettel have a mechanical problem on his car?

he put it in the wall against ro gro

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:07 pm 

A mechanical problem caused by driving into the wall. KTM x-bows are evidently less sound than RB8's :D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:17 pm 

Grosjean drove with 2 wheels fighting Petrov in 2011 ROC and now he is a champion. Congrats to him.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:18 pm 

Johnston wrote:

Get that abomination off my forum! :evil: Why Metalica, why? :-(( Admittedly this does put both St Anger and Death Magnetic in perspective...

On topic: well done for Grojean. He's done well in this. No small challange to beat Shumy and Vettel. Now more of this calibre of driving next year in f1 please...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:46 pm 

fogg wrote:
Amazing what he can do when there are no other cars on the same track.

Is true though, seems he does okay like in quali or different track to rival.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:23 pm 

I know this has been held at various stadiums and until a few years ago (2008), it was held at Wembley. I seem to recall that one of the reasons Wembley lost it was due to low attendance numbers not helped by high ticket prices.
Even so, I really have no idea what the organisers were thinking when they chose that well known centre of motor sport, Bangkok. The stadium was nearly deserted with a empty seats everywhere. This should be a cracking event but it had the atmosphere of morgue. An engaged live audience should be a big part of this but it was pretty dismal. It doesn't need to be in London but it should shift back to where motorsport is at least popular.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:09 am 

Motorsport only becomes popular anywhere with exposure. 150,000 attended an RBR show car run there a few years ago, thats more than a lot of GP's get. The crowds in Germany were largely there to see their many-times Nations Cup heroes win again. Bit different in Thailand. Takes time to build the following. I think they've made a good start.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:25 am 

Thailand is planning/negotiating to host a GP, the location makes sense in that respect.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:33 am 

Ok, I'm going to swallow my pride here and admit that the broadcast on Drive was... challenging... *However*, the guys aren't full time announcers and they were calling it from some office thousands of miles away without the benefit of a producer, so I can't be too hard on them. Maybe next year they will work something out with ROC so that they can call the event better. I will continue to support whomever broadcasts in the US next year.

Anybody know where the venue is for 2013?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:20 pm 

Just want to post my apology to the Mods for this viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5715 :blush:. Don't know how closely they follow posts. I wasn't following the official ROC thread for some reason - didn't see it at all!

And to some of the posters who rightly pointed out that Seb shouldn't have been in the post. Just a misplaced attempt at humor.

Both were no doubt due to fuzzy late night thinking.

Anyway, back to the usual.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:11 pm 

racer_nobu wrote:
Ok, I'm going to swallow my pride here and admit that the broadcast on Drive was... challenging... *However*, the guys aren't full time announcers and they were calling it from some office thousands of miles away without the benefit of a producer, so I can't be too hard on them. Maybe next year they will work something out with ROC so that they can call the event better. I will continue to support whomever broadcasts in the US next year.

Anybody know where the venue is for 2013?

I hope they bring it to Wembley again - or the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff - literally 30 miles away from me!

It'll probably be some far-eastern country again though.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:16 pm 

Its in Bangkok again next year. 2 year contract.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:59 pm 

Johnston wrote:

kill it kill it :-P

disappointed on how the australians did especially jamie but we always sucked at motor sport internationally i think the last australian to win a major title was alan jones

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:09 am 

ashley313 wrote:
M.Nader -DODZ- wrote:
Ashley is crying right now

Laughing actually. All 2012 luck finally depleted!

I'm glad RoGro got to win SOMETHING this year, other than "most likely to ruin your race" :)

Yes Vettel was unlucky not to have the fastest car at ROC. LOL
Ashley you are so in love with Vettel you will say just about anything. Luck ran out LOL
If he was lucky to have the fastest car at ROC he would easily have won. In equal machinery it has less to do with luck and more to do with skill.

Schumacher a 43 year old who is well well well past his prime was super quick and showed up Vettel.
Yet in 3 years back in F1 he still has not won 1 race. Nothing to do with luck as he's car was just to slow.
If Vettel drove for mercedes the last 3 years instead of redbull he would also has not won 1 race either.

It's great to see F1 drivers driving on equal terms to at least showcase their true abilities and not just the cars ability.
They should have more events like these maybe an open wheel ROC event on a proper track with all the best drivers from around the world.
Just Pure racing!!!
As the great Senna would say

"It was like I was in a tunnel. Not only the tunnel under the hotel but the whole circuit was a tunnel. I was just going and going, more and more and more and more. I was way over the limit but still able to find even more." Ayrton Senna

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:53 am 

A v sad post Peter77.

Ashley was happy to laugh about Seb not winning the ROC - but you (for some obscure reason) had to post an attack on both Ashley and Seb...

I'm not a Seb fan, but he won the last WDC and now has 3 WDC to his name. I'm sorry your favourite driver is not doing so well (whoever he is), but perhaps its time to get over your disappointment? The ROC is pure fun for the drivers involved and, as in any motor race, luck plays a part. Why try to ruin the fun/enjoyment and turn it into an attack?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:15 pm 

LKS1 wrote:
A v sad post Peter77.

Ashley was happy to laugh about Seb not winning the ROC - but you (for some obscure reason) had to post an attack on both Ashley and Seb...

I'm not a Seb fan, but he won the last WDC and now has 3 WDC to his name. I'm sorry your favourite driver is not doing so well (whoever he is), but perhaps its time to get over your disappointment? The ROC is pure fun for the drivers involved and, as in any motor race, luck plays a part. Why try to ruin the fun/enjoyment and turn it into an attack?

So your basically attacking me now trying to say that I supposedly attacked ashley now?
How ironic
Ashley is in love with Vettel he/she freely admits it so its not an attack. Ashley takes any mention of the word Vettel as a compliment.
Your post was a direct attack that had nothing to do with this thread at all which is about ROC race who won who lost or anything even remotely related to the ROC. Who said the ROC isn't fun?
Rogro next year if he has a good car and gets past the first lap has a chance of being right up there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMgXIjPPWn4

"It was like I was in a tunnel. Not only the tunnel under the hotel but the whole circuit was a tunnel. I was just going and going, more and more and more and more. I was way over the limit but still able to find even more." Ayrton Senna

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:25 pm 

If I'm alone in reading your post as an attack on both Ashley and Seb, I apologise.

I read "Ashley you are so in love with Vettel you will say just about anything. Luck ran out LOL" as putting down Ashley's light-hearted comment.

Similarly I took "Yes Vettel was unlucky not to have the fastest car at ROC. LOL/If he was lucky to have the fastest car at ROC he would easily have won" as a comment on Seb's F1 WDCs.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:27 pm 

I didn't say anything about having the best car. I actually meant it was unlucky that tapping the wall broke the car, as many people hit it throughout the competition with nothing but cosmetic damage, and it was a sarcastic reference to all those who think he was just lucky this year in winning another title. But thanks for putting words in my mouth :thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:52 pm 

the people who tapped the wall and got away with it hit techpro barriers not concrete barriers like the fingerboy hit