planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:01 am

All times are UTC

Should Ferrari retain Massa for 2014?
Yes 29%  29%  [ 22 ]
No 71%  71%  [ 53 ]
Total votes : 75
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:07 am 

Massa will be quick in 2013. He was really struggling with the difficult F2012 and the Pirelli. With the regulations stability, he will be fine with the car in 2013.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:04 am 

Iowa'sOnlyF1Viewer wrote:
Zoue wrote:
@Blake,

I might have agreed with you when Alonso joined, but I think he's too entrenched in the team now. Even if Massa gets the upper hand at the beginning of 2013, I feel that any gap won't be large (unless due to accidents /reliabilty) and Ferrari would rather hold off and wait for Alonso to re-assert himself than risk upsetting their star player by attempting to force him into a support role. The last three years Alonso has been stronger at the end, so no doubt they would rather hedge their bets on him than the other way around.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11204224364 ... domenicali
Massa's career as a potential WDC ended in 2010 IMO. He needs a miracle to change his situation. Alonso is too good to give him that opportunity.

:thumbup: And some people think they'll start with a clean slate next year.

Quote:
"Felipe needs to accept," said Domenicali, "that he is facing a very strong teammate. If not, that hurts him.

"He needs to assume a clear role rather than trying to take advantage -- you need to learn from Fernando, not challenge him.

"That (challenging) is the way to being destroyed by a teammate such as Alonso or Schumacher, who are real cannibals," Domenicali insisted.

Apparently justifying Alonso's dominant position, Domenicali said Ferrari has a "moral obligation to champion" the highly rated Spaniard.

And that influence will extend to the selection of his 2013 teammate, Domenicali hinted.

"He (Alonso) has a central role in the team, and he therefore participates in the important issues," said the Italian.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:31 am 

I think Ferrari has team orders for yonk years, at least since Schumi's days or perhaps even before? Gerhard Berger/Alesi days..

So why would anybody expect Massa to outperform Alonso?

I agree he probably needs to be closer to Alonso in the overall point standings though. Which is an indication of his pitiful performance.

P.S. I still recall how Alonso in the Minardi getting in the way of the front-runners and how Murray Walker used to chastise him for being a lousy backmarker driver :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:32 am 

Ferrari seems to be making reliable decently paced cars rather than fast cars. I would like to ask the question, Can vettel win in such cars ?...
Perhaps by the time he joins Ferrari he will have been seasoned enough.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:56 am 

Not going to cast my vote let's see what he can do in 2013. If he is again so far of Alonso points wise they should replace him.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:31 am 

It all depends on whether Vettel will come to Ferrari in 2014... if he doesn't and Massa performs reasonably well next year ( > 65% of Alonso's points) then Massa stays. If he performs terribly again, (< 50% of Alonso's points) then Ferrari will bring in Hulkenberg for 2014. If Vettel comes, then it gets interesting. It'll be kind of like that transition phase with Kimi and Massa back in 07-08 when Ferrari had 2 #1 drivers, then eventually Alonso will retire and they'll bring in someone slow and make Vettel the clear #1 as Schumacher and Alonso have been before him. What do y'all think? And I apologize if I'm going a bit off topic here.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:44 am 

need4speed wrote:
It all depends on whether Vettel will come to Ferrari in 2014... if he doesn't and Massa performs reasonably well next year ( > 65% of Alonso's points) then Massa stays. If he performs terribly again, (< 50% of Alonso's points) then Ferrari will bring in Hulkenberg for 2014. If Vettel comes, then it gets interesting. It'll be kind of like that transition phase with Kimi and Massa back in 07-08 when Ferrari had 2 #1 drivers, then eventually Alonso will retire and they'll bring in someone slow and make Vettel the clear #1 as Schumacher and Alonso have been before him. What do y'all think? And I apologize if I'm going a bit off topic here.

I just don't see Vettel moving to Ferrari unless Red Bull show a dip in form, and why would he? I've read that Vettel is motivated by records (which is why he always tries for fastest lap even when the race is in the bag), and on current showing he's a lot more likely to get them at Red Bull than at any other team. Moving to Ferrari (or any other team) carries a risk, while staying at Red Bull where everything seems to work for him seems like a no brainer if he's going to chase Schumacher's records and end up top in all the stats.