planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:06 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:56 pm 

For anyone who watches Pointless the final question was to name F1 runners up (For those who don't watch the show, they ask 100 people on the street and the objective is to guess an answer none of them said. i.e. obscure answers win.)

They went with Patrese, Piquet and DC. (None of them were pointless)

I'd have said Patrese, Frentzen and Lauda

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:57 pm 

Spoiler: show
Ascari, Regazzoni, Pironi, HHF, Hakkinen, Gonzalez, Peterson, Brooks, Von Tripps would have won the money.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:59 pm 

Every time they get an F1 question as the last question I get it :D

For runners up I'd go with Moss, Mclaren and Ronnie Peterson off the top of my head. I shall now consult wikipedia and see if they are right, then pull the program up on iplayer and see if i'd have got it pointless!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:00 pm 

Did he say there were other possible pointless answers too? I can't imagine many people would get Bruce Mclaren or Ronnie...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:03 pm 

Volantary wrote:
Did he say there were other possible pointless answers too? I can't imagine many people would get Bruce Mclaren or Ronnie...

Nope, that list was all of them. You win the money too.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:08 pm 

Ah didn't spot one of them in the list. Yay for me :D Very short list though, thought they'd have been a fair few more, especially given HHF is on there.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:17 pm 

Volantary wrote:
Ah didn't spot one of them in the list. Yay for me :D Very short list though, thought they'd have been a fair few more, especially given HHF is on there.

Pfft, most people will forget him as a runner-up as it was only because Schumacher was disqualified from the championship. Anyone taking even just a passing interest won't remember him because he wasn't in the fight at the end.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:19 pm 

I'm RICH...!

in imaginary money :(

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:43 pm 

John Watson, Michele Alboreto, Eddie Irvine

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:45 pm 

scuderia_stevie wrote:
Volantary wrote:

Pfft, most people will forget him as a runner-up as it was only because Schumacher was disqualified from the championship. Anyone taking even just a passing interest won't remember him because he wasn't in the fight at the end.

I didn't say HHF, see below, but I thought I didn't need to. If I had been on the show I would have asked for some kind of clarification like "is it the official FIA standings from their website". I think Alboreto was wrong too.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:02 pm 

Ickx, Webber, Irvine.....?

Edit: Bugger, Surprised Ickx wasn't one and had a massive brain fart thinking Webber was runner up in 2011!

Pick 10 Podiums:
1st Place: USA 2012, Japan 2013
3rd Place: China 2014

Last edited by coulthards chin on Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:10 pm 

I would've guessed Patrese, Alboreto and McLaren. They never mentioned whether McLaren was pointless though. Amazed that Alboreto wasn't pointless, even more amazed Hakkinen was.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:21 pm 

Eva09 wrote:
John Watson, Michele Alboreto, Eddie Irvine

Ahhh, it seems I was right about Alboreto.

I was wrong about Watson because Pironi also had 39 and more third placed finishes.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:57 pm 

Many people forget that Hakkinen was runner up in 2000 after winning it in 1998 and 1999.

HHF would have been a good one to get as Schumacher was disqualified from the championship.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:13 am 

Carlos Reutemann I would have gone with.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:34 am 

I was watching this at the time and I went with Riccardo Patrese, Jacques Villeneuve and Eddie Irvine. All of which had 1 point...

Safe to say I would of killed myself if I had been playing for real! Actually, maybe not seen as the prize money is only about £1000. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:31 am 

Watched this with my Dad yesterday.

My answers were: Villeneuve (both) and his were Alboreto and Irvine... all worth 1 point! Would have kicked myself for not winning that if I'd been on the show

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:46 am 

Banana Man wrote:
For anyone who watches Pointless the final question was to name F1 runners up (For those who don't watch the show, they ask 100 people on the street and the objective is to guess an answer none of them said. i.e. obscure answers win.)

They went with Patrese, Piquet and DC. (None of them were pointless)

I'd have said Patrese, Frentzen and Lauda

Frentzen's a good one!

I would go with von Tripps, Reutemann and... Alboreto?

I haven't checked if any of them are correct. I'm certain Reutemann is.

#14 for '14

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:38 pm 

I would say Sebastian Vettel. No one remembers him as a runner-up, people just remember him constantly winning.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:45 pm 

I switched channel and heard their second answer and was instantly like "yay, F1 question" and tried to figure out what the question had been. I've seen quite a few F1 questions on the show, and have always done well. If I went on the show, I'd probably get a question about Lacrosse or something.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:50 pm 

I went on this on the first series and was praying for a F1 question - ended up with nature programmes, Johnny Depp films and Euro football-winning countries :evil:

Oh and countries with stars on their flags!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:02 pm 

MistaVega23 wrote:
I went on this on the first series and was praying for a F1 question - ended up with nature programmes, Johnny Depp films and Euro football-winning countries :evil:

That sounds like the dream episode for me. I ended up with like 5 pointless Depp films haha.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:06 pm 

Rachie_D wrote:
MistaVega23 wrote:

That sounds like the dream episode for me. I ended up with like 5 pointless Depp films haha.

I ended up saying What's Eating Gilbert Grape - 2 points so not bad!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:16 pm 

Dam_Noir wrote:
I was watching this at the time and I went with Riccardo Patrese, Jacques Villeneuve and Eddie Irvine. All of which had 1 point...

Safe to say I would of killed myself if I had been playing for real! Actually, maybe not seen as the prize money is only about £1000. :lol:

Yeah, did you see Austin Healey and Scott Gibbs is it (the really friendly Welsh guy)?

They had to name arists having UK no.1 albums (not singles) from the 80s and got 1, 1, 1.

They said Erasure, Adam and the Ants, and something else I can't quite remember.

Apparently they were all different people who said them. In the F1 I imagine about 5 people said almost everything.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:32 pm 

Eva09 wrote:
Dam_Noir wrote:

Yeah, did you see Austin Healey and Scott Gibbs is it (the really friendly Welsh guy)?

They had to name arists having UK no.1 albums (not singles) from the 80s and got 1, 1, 1.

They said Erasure, Adam and the Ants, and something else I can't quite remember.

Apparently they were all different people who said them. In the F1 I imagine about 5 people said almost everything.

Another good question.

I would have gone for Motorhead. I can't think of anything else obscure so Tears for Fears and um... a guess at Iron Maiden or Judas Priest... Judas Priest.
(and no I don't know if they had No. 1 albums)

edit: Dang, Judas Priest didn't go to No. 1 but Iron Maiden did.

#14 for '14

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:01 pm 

I was watching it with my Dad when I got home last night.

I said Frentzen, Mika and Schumi.

Schumi is famous for winning, so I hoped people might forget he came second.
Mika because I think is isn't that well known and is within my time watching F1 but still a while ago.
HHF, because he was 3rd but Schumi got DSQ so I was fairly sure he was actually second officially. Figured this was fairly obscure outwith hardcore F1 fans.