planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:39 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:02 pm 

Very interesting. Micheal is almost a billionaire 8O And guys (and girls i see you Ashley and Donna) dont qoute the post please.

Source: http://www.motorward.com/2012/11/top-20 ... r-drivers/

Last edited by Emerson.F on Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:05 pm 

Providing it's true then Schumacher makes a meal of the current grid.

Hamilton is slowly being turned into a brand, not a racing driver, by his management so his earnings hardly surprise and they'll only increase now he has more freedom at Merc to do more personal sponsorship deals.

Surprised Button has earned more than Alonso though.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:15 pm 

Vettel not on there? That must be wrong surely.

Also, how the heck did Irvine and Scheckter become so rich? No way they made that all from racing.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:16 pm 

Button earned more than Alonso? What?

Although it's net worth. Not earnings which is probably why they're ranked higher. Button and Hamilton for that matter appeal better to the masses than Alonso. Which is probably why they have a higher net worth.

Forza Alonso

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:20 pm 

benmc wrote:

Also, how the heck did Irvine and Scheckter become so rich? No way they made that all from racing.

Irvine through property I believe and Sheckter through his farm and other businesses.

One driver I did think would be there is Nelson Piquet Sr. His businesses in Brazil are worth and absolute fortune.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:22 pm 

benmc wrote:

No, i don't think so. Vettel was up until now far from being the highest paid (as far as I know) and I don't think he's that much interested in becoming so.

Quote:

You didn't see the "source of wealth" info? It's on the infographic :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:30 pm 

Man, Schumacher has so much money that he could sustain a F1 team as hhis own for 3-4 years. A middle one.
It would be interesting. What about bringing BMW motors to F1 again.
Still some dreams.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:31 pm 

I think I remember reading somewhere that kimi was worth around $130 million. I could be wrong though.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:32 pm 

Laura23 wrote:

Hamilton is slowly being turned into a brand, not a racing driver, by his management so his earnings hardly surprise and they'll only increase now he has more freedom at Merc to do more personal sponsorship deals.

Prior to the economic crash, which probably means it will certainly no longer be the case (and when it was two dollars to the pound), it was predicted Hamilton would become the first billion dollar race driver - not over his career but in a season.

Obviously, in the new climate that isn't going to happen, but the fact that two teams offered Hamilton considerably more than any other driver on the grid shows what might have been.

Of course, this is not down to his racing salary - you hit the nail on the head when you said him as a brand - other than not being female, he ticks so many marketing boxes, the fact he is the first black Formula 1 driver (and one whom some rank as the best in the field) along with the fact he is good looking and dating an international pop star girlfriend (who is also taking efforts to significantly raise her profile) means that he will probably rise to number 2 in that list fairly quickly. Whether he'll overtake Schumacher is another matter altogether - it's possible, just down to the fact that people in the future earn more than people in the past, that he will. Although given the economic crash and the fact that Schumacher was peerless, working for the richest team during their most successful era, I would not be surprised if we have to wait for a driver from the next generation to eclipse Schumacher in the earnings.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:41 pm 

Alonso lost large chunk of his money last year when he moved closer to home. All thanks to taxes. Believed to be near $50M

Last edited by funkymonkey on Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:43 pm 

funkymonkey wrote:
Alonso lost large chunk of his money last year when he moved closer to home. All thanks to taxes.

No I don't think that comes into it unfortunately. He still earned that money, which is what this list is about. All Alonso moving back to Spain is Ferrari have to pay more money, for Alonso to get the same take home pay. Unless his contract works differently.

Forza Alonso

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:45 pm 

Lots of those guys have made their money outside racing. T Scheck had a billion dollar arms business here in the state with something like 95% of his market cornered. Irvine is a real estate mogul. DC is the same but on a smaller scale (he doesn't actually own that hotel in Monaco anymore either), he is also a brand ambassador for like...everything. Stewart is too. Bobby Rahal owns dealerships and has likely made more cash from the management side than the driving side.

JB and Lewis have both made a lot via their jobs, but their pretty faces have earned them a lot too.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:48 pm 

benmc wrote:

Irvine has a rather large property portfolio apparently. I heard that when he was in F1 he was making more outside it, that was one of the reasons Eddie Jordan had to convince him to join the circus he was already making enough money before hand.

He has kart track over here which I think has evolved into other things and I think he has got a Ferrari dealerships somewhere. Many fingers in many pies.

Sceckter has his organic farm and produce which is rather large too.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:48 pm 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Laura23 wrote:

Prior to the economic crash, which probably means it will certainly no longer be the case (and when it was two dollars to the pound), it was predicted Hamilton would become the first billion dollar race driver - not over his career but in a season.

Obviously, in the new climate that isn't going to happen, but the fact that two teams offered Hamilton considerably more than any other driver on the grid shows what might have been.

Of course, this is not down to his racing salary - you hit the nail on the head when you said him as a brand - other than not being female, he ticks so many marketing boxes, the fact he is the first black Formula 1 driver (and one whom some rank as the best in the field) along with the fact he is good looking and dating an international pop star girlfriend (who is also taking efforts to significantly raise her profile) means that he will probably rise to number 2 in that list fairly quickly. Whether he'll overtake Schumacher is another matter altogether - it's possible, just down to the fact that people in the future earn more than people in the past, that he will. Although given the economic crash and the fact that Schumacher was peerless, working for the richest team during their most successful era, I would not be surprised if we have to wait for a driver from the next generation to eclipse Schumacher in the earnings.

Agree 100%.

He has the same management as the Beckhams so you can see where the aim if from their point of view. Like Beckham he has the pop star girlfriend and the hip hop mates. His earnings should just keep going up by millions year on year from here on in. Like Schumacher he should double his racing salary easy.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:49 pm 

I'm not sure I believe that list 100%
I have a hard time believing Schumi has close to $1 billion.
And according to celebritynetworth.com Kimi has about $130 million, which would place him 4th on this list.
Surely he has more than $18m though

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:49 pm 

RunningMan wrote:
funkymonkey wrote:
Alonso lost large chunk of his money last year when he moved closer to home. All thanks to taxes.

No I don't think that comes into it unfortunately. He still earned that money, which is what this list is about. All Alonso moving back to Spain is Ferrari have to pay more money, for Alonso to get the same take home pay. Unless his contract works differently.

My understanding is that the list is worth, not earnings; therefore, knocking $50m off his bank account/worth is going to have a massive effect on this list.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:51 pm 

xECKSx58 wrote:
And according to celebritynetworth.com Kimi has about $130 million, which would place him 4th on this list.

He was being paid more that than in a year by Ferrari. Of course Kimi should be on that list.

Schumacher earned an absolute fortune through personal sponsorship and merch sales. He could still make $1billion yet because his merch sales will continue for years and his personal sponsorship will as well until he leaves the public eye totally.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:52 pm 

From what I heard Vettel refuses to do personal sponsorship deals, which means he will probably not feature on this list for some time, although I'm sure Red Bull will eventually give him a salary on par with Hamilton even I have to admit that he'd deserve it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:52 pm 

T Scheck's farm isn't profitable yet I don't think. He has a good quote somewhere about how his arms business has allowed him to embark on the farming journey (after his wife gave him a book about it).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:53 pm 

A little bit off topic, but is Kimi still the highest paid driver ever?
When he was at Ferrari he was being paid close to $50m/year.
I think Alonso was close to having a similar salary, but it was a few million less.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:54 pm 

xECKSx58 wrote:

Well yea, the list is sure to miss some names. Kimi popped into my head aswell, he's, for sure, worth more than 18 million..

Schumachers number is BIG, damn! I had no idea he's worth that much. And concidering it's pretty much all from pure motor racing, that's very, very impressive. How much did Ferrari pay him in 2000-2006...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:54 pm 

Senna88 wrote:
From what I heard Vettel refuses to do personal sponsorship deals, which means he will probably not feature on this list for some time, although I'm sure Red Bull will eventually give him a salary on par with Hamilton even I have to admit that he'd deserve it.

I think Vettel already has a salary north of $25m/year which is around what Hamilton is being paid IIRC (I think he gets paid about $30m/year)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:56 pm 

Schumacher was in his prime winning races after races and championships after championships when money was flowering like water through sport. Even Ralph made killing without being top dog and so did Coulthard. And Ferrari no2 bought personal jet. 8O

Last edited by funkymonkey on Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:58 pm 

I'd take the list with a pinch of salt. I'd read somewhere else (can't remember, sorry) that MSC was worth around $200M or so. And Kimi was reputed to be earning around $30M per year at Ferrari, so unless he was burning it all in the fireplace at home I would have thought he managed to hang onto more than $18M after all this time...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:00 pm 

Pretty sure Michael's properties alone are worth more than $200M

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:01 pm 

Interesting (but small) article I just found from 2006.
Kimi would be paid $51m/year by Ferrari
Schumi already had $800m in 2006

http://www.forumula1.com/news/raikkonen ... id-driver/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:05 pm 

ashley313 wrote:
T Scheck's farm isn't profitable yet I don't think. He has a good quote somewhere about how his arms business has allowed him to embark on the farming journey (after his wife gave him a book about it).

Surprised to hear that. On the SKY legends show it looks to be a HUGE outfit.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:07 pm 

Surprised not to see Piquet Sr and his truck GPS business and other businesses in Brazil.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:10 pm 

Johnston wrote:
ashley313 wrote:

Surprised to hear that. On the SKY legends show it looks to be a HUGE outfit.

It is. He makes a big point of doing everything he does the best way possible. But that doesn't mean its making money just yet ;) My business was huge and impressive looking but absolutely bleeding me dry x(

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:36 am 

There is one very notable former racing driver missing from that list. Though he is an "oldie", if the list is going to include Richards, Rahal, Yamauchi & Palmer, he should be on the list, indeed, he would top the list.

Roger Penske, net worth as of March this year, 1.1 billion dollars.... back over a billion after the recession recession.

Most people are not aware that Penske was a successful racing driver early in his career, but not on an international level
:)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:41 am 

For those surprised at Schumi's wealth, you may not realize that for many years he was #2 on the list of highest yearly income behind Tiger Woods. Schumi was making around 90 million/year at the time.. salary & endorsements. And that was just during the 2000s. So it shouldn't be a real shock to see the 800m numbers.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:29 am 

This list is mostly random. Where is Jeff Gordon for example, who is worth somewhere between 100-200 million dollars?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:05 am 

good point, Smoothride.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:28 am 

SmoothRide wrote:
This list is mostly random. Where is Jeff Gordon for example, who is worth somewhere between 100-200 million dollars?

Data is random and outdated. One of the guys on the list has been dead since 2004........

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:43 am 

Location: Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
Can't see it, must be my ancient work PC.

You can often tell how well researched and comprehensive these lists are by whether they remember Johnny Dumfries, aka the 7th Earl of Bute. By far the richest British racing driver.

Scheckter's Laverstoke Park has only recently turned a profit. It and his racing career have made relatively little money compared to his US defence business. Incidentally it's often said he had an arms business but it wasn't, it built training simulators for police, army and so on, not weapons.

EDIT
Aha my computer's woken up, and they remembered/copied from The Times, Earl Johnny.

of Alice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:48 am 

Location: Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
Chaps pictured in racing gear or suits, chapesse in bikini. Who say's motorsport is sexist.

Should I have heard of Kazunori Yamauchi?

of Alice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:54 am 

Didn't Bernie start as a driver? Fairly sure he should fit somewhere around the top of this list!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:03 am 

Anne C wrote:
Didn't Bernie start as a driver? Fairly sure he should fit somewhere around the top of this list!

I was just about to say it would be interesting to see Bernie on that list, even though not a driver. for instance, a bathroom in one of his daughter's houses is probably worth more than Danica Patrick :-P

Last edited by Lojik on Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:04 am 

ashley313 wrote:
Pretty sure Michael's properties alone are worth more than $200M

yep, I mixed my dollars and pounds. I see a huge variety of estimates online from $400M to just under $1Bn. Dollars.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:35 am 

ashley313 wrote:

this is excatly what I heard about his farm - great hobby and might bring money in future, but not yet.

He earned a lot in army business (no number here, but can be easily suggested in 'about' areas

'...With a lock on the police and military market, in 1995 FATS expanded its offerings when it introduced a simulator, complete with woodland scenarios involving wildlife, specifically for hunters. By the end of that year, the company had become a $30 million enterprise with 250 employees, a far cry from the shoestring operation it had been when Scheckter founded it more than a decade before. Its revenues doubled in 1996, to $65 million, and in July 1996 Scheckter sold FATS to a New York-based private equity investment firm called Centre Partners. "He built the company through sheer entrepreneurial energy," said the new chief executive officer (CEO), Peter Marino, "but he wanted to raise his children back in England." ...

http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company- ... c-history/

and also I don't think that Kimi suddenly lost his more than $150mil fortune (by some estimations) :) but he is not on the list

We are disease upon the world, brotherhood of man