planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:19 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:37 pm 

Ok talked the wife into going to Belguim 2013 on a 4 day package deal, they offer track upgrades for qualifying and race day as in seating, anyone who has been offer any advice on good position and general track advice?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:16 pm 

Hrm, where is that envious smiley when it's needed.....

Look at the track map and just make sure you have a good view of a big screen. Spa is peculiar in that often enough the grandstands can't see a screen! Mostly Spa is excellent everywhere as far as track view goes. The red section is pretty entertaining - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Spa-F ... elgium.svg

TBH I like Pouhon and Stavelot the most. But I'm a GA cheapskate, and the bulk of the grandstands are at the Spa end of the course, around La Source and the grid and I've never breathed that rarefied air! If I was you I'd look at a few laps on video (like the F1.com race edits?) to get a feel for where you might like to be.

This is also a thread worth looking at viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1265&p=193490 as it's heavy on the Spa info

Tous Avec Jules #17

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:20 pm 

Inappropriate post removed.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:22 pm 

I went in 2007. The full weekend in the main grandstand on the start/finish straight.

It must have been the driest weekend that Spa has ever experienced! The race was over at turn one after the Ferraris got away and Alonso shoved Hamilton wide.
It was a great weekend though. Great party atmosphere. A different season and it would have been a fantastic race.

My only word of advice is to give the main grandstand a miss. Although it depends on what you're looking for.
I DID get to see the drivers preparing on the grid, the race start, the pit stops, the chequered flag and the podium.
But I didn't get to see F1 cars in all their glory.
If I went again I would sit near Eau Rouge, or at least at turn one with a view of Eau Rouge. The end of the Kemmel straight might be another good place.*

*Although from memory these grandstands had no cover. But if it rains you shouldn't give a crap cos there will surely be some fantastic racing happening in front of your very eyes.

#14 for '14

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:58 pm 

MclarenBullet wrote:

Yes I have but I am asking on a F1 site which has a high chance of people who may have gone before and their feedback, as usual you get pricks answering but that is to be expected.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:06 pm 

I went in 2011 , General admission watched qualifying at bruxelles corner and watched the race at a corner call fagnes i believe, The weather was awful but i wouldnt of changed it for the world. It was an experience like no other, The circuit is huge and the elevations etc really takes it out of you. I wasnt expecting it to be like it was, id advise taking comfy walking shoes! Its an amazing historic track and when your there you should be able too see what the fuss is about, Real history about the place its a living thing almost nothing like most of todays commercial tracks.

I loved it. Ive only been to Silverstone and Spa. The dowside if there is any is sometimes if difficult to know whats going on and also theres no in lap after the race ( got me last year , was expecting them to come roundafterwards please remeber i was pumped with adrenaline) lol

I loved it, I couldnt advise on were to sit , I like the looks of the first corner and the bustop chicane personally

Long may it stay on the calendar

Jim

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:13 pm 

First thing I'll say is that it's an awesome weekend and should definitely be done by anyone who has the chance.

Secondly, if you are disabled, be warned: this year we couldn't get a wheelchair into the disabled toilet, which also didn't have a proper toilet inside it, nor did it have any hand-washing facilities.

Disabled issues aside, however, I would advise sitting at the bottom of Eau Rouge, where you get an awesome view of cars tearing down from La Source right to the top of the hill. Oh, and pack a raincoat or 3...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:15 pm 

went in 2010 and, as is wont at Spa, it rained. was there for the whole weekend from Fri morning (just caught the end of P1) through till the free-for-all track invasion after the races (when there are actually public buses on the "track").

we went cheapskate with the general admission but Spa is one of the few places where some of the GA spots are better than the expensive grandstands (more atmosphere, better view etc.). for P1 we were on the downhill section after "Bruxelles", for P2 we were close to the top of Eau Rouge and for quali and race we were on the hill next to the Kemmel straight pretty close to "Les Combes". every spot was fantastic (if you dont mind being soaked to the bone and sitting on slush).

if you are keen on a stand, i would go for the one at Les Combes or the one at the top of Eau Rouge - both have elevation and good views of a long section of track. at Les Combes, you have the awesome sight of F1 cars breaking from 320 km/h and at Eau Rouge, you're at one of the best corners in F1.

are you planning to stay in Liege or Spa?

cant think of a better place to watch an F1 race...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:30 pm 

AtrumVesica wrote:
MclarenBullet wrote:
Yes I have but I am asking on a F1 site which has a high chance of people who may have gone before and their feedback, as usual you get pricks answering but that is to be expected.
Mmmmmeeeeeeooooowwww!, funny mind

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:01 pm 

Check out Asphaltworlds web page about Spa, http://visit-spa-francorchamps.page.tl/

Take sensible shoes, umbrella or decent waterproof coat, also it can get cold. take money for the toilet too, What tiddled me off about the place is the lack of facilitys, especially after Bernie weilding the axe over Silverstone over facilities (which were/are 100x better).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:06 pm 

AtrumVesica wrote:
MclarenBullet wrote:

Yes I have but I am asking on a F1 site which has a high chance of people who may have gone before and their feedback, as usual you get pricks answering but that is to be expected
Facetious, irritating and pointless post removed.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:25 pm 

MclarenBullet wrote:
AtrumVesica wrote:
MclarenBullet wrote:

Yes I have but I am asking on a F1 site which has a high chance of people who may have gone before and their feedback, as usual you get pricks answering but that is to be expected
Facetious, irritating and inappropriate post removed.

Whadya mean? 'If its still working.' Try googling it if you don't know.

(Come on here with half a story..jeez!)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:34 pm 

shoot999 wrote:
MclarenBullet wrote:
AtrumVesica wrote:
MclarenBullet wrote:

Facetious, irritating and pointless post removed.

Whadya mean? 'If its still working.' Try googling it if you don't know.

(Come on here with half a story..jeez!)

Poor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:52 pm 

Now that is a great site , thanks, looks like I am going to bite the bullet and go for eau rouge , the higher grandstand.

lunatic wrote:
Check out Asphaltworlds web page about Spa, http://visit-spa-francorchamps.page.tl/

Take sensible shoes, umbrella or decent waterproof coat, also it can get cold. take money for the toilet too, What tiddled me off about the place is the lack of facilitys, especially after Bernie weilding the axe over Silverstone over facilities (which were/are 100x better).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:05 pm 

AtrumVesica wrote:
Now that is a great site , thanks, looks like I am going to bite the bullet and go for eau rouge , the higher grandstand.

lunatic wrote:

You won't regret it! I did GA this year - I think next time I'll go for the silver grandstand after La Source, I don't mind getting wet but being that close would be great. I sat around Pouhon on the hill for most sessions and that was a great place for my first race.

One thing I'll say is prepare for anything. We had umbrellas and spare clothes, what we didn't have was sun-block for the saturday - burnt to a crisp without realising. We spent Sunday cowering under a flag to stop getting burnt further.

Also we got lost in the Ardennes forest for 4 hours on the Thursday and I had to make a bandage out of duct tape and a wet wipe. Comfortable shoes are a necessity!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:21 pm 

Guys, why is half the thread taken up with pointless bickering and useless posts?

To the OP, there is a sticky thread for exactly this which you should have used, but since it's the off-season and the thread's already taken hold I'll leave it to die off naturally.

Yes, we have a swear filter now. No, it doesn't change coffin to 'place of rest'.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:35 pm 

P-F1 Mod wrote:
Guys, why is half the thread taken up with pointless bickering and useless posts?

To the OP, there is a sticky thread for exactly this which you should have used, but since it's the off-season and the thread's already taken hold I'll leave it to die off naturally.
You bumped it ;)