planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:28 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:51 pm 

Either Turkey or Austria look set to make 2013 another 20 race season

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/20614283

What do you guys think about the potential return of one of these two circuits? Which would you like to see back, for me it would be Turkey as i generally prefer high speed circuits although I do miss the magnificent setting of the A1 Ring.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:08 pm 

I love the way the Istanbul circuit flows, plus having it on the calendar would mean it would be on F1 2012. ;)
Despite being a Red Bull(-ish) fan, I wouldn't particularly like to see the 'A1-ring' back on the calendar, simply and rashly because it is now known as the Red Bull ring, and something about having a current team as the title sponsor/owner of a circuit just doesn't sit well with me.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:10 pm 

Misinformed wrote:
I love the way the Istanbul circuit flows, plus having it on the calendar would mean it would be on F1 2012. ;)
Despite being a Red Bull(-ish) fan, I wouldn't particularly like to see the 'A1-ring' back on the calendar, simply and rashly because it is now known as the Red Bull ring, and something about having a current team as the title sponsor/owner of a circuit just doesn't sit well with me.

What about Santander sponsoring quite a few other tracks (and giving out those hideous Santander logo trophies)? They're not owners... but still...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:55 pm 

Location: Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
Technically Istanbul park is in Asia, isn't it?

of Alice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:57 pm 

Balibari wrote:
Technically Istanbul park is in Asia, isn't it?

Yep, it's on the asian side of the divide.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:59 pm 

jammin78 wrote:
What about Santander sponsoring quite a few other tracks (and giving out those hideous Santander logo trophies)? They're not owners... but still...

You saying the winner might get a rather over size tin of Red Bull :lol: :lol:

Would be funny if the podium 3 are Ferrari/TNT, Lotus/Burn and McLaren/Lucozade. Has Merc still got Monster?

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:00 pm 

jammin78 wrote:
Misinformed wrote:

I'd have a similar view if Santander had a team, but rather they're a team sponsor. If Red Bull was just a sponsor for a team it wouldn't really bother me. I'm not even sure why it does, but there's just something about Red Bull Racing going to Red Bull Ring to race.. it would just gherkin me off. I kind of get the feeling like they'd seem pretentious. With the whole 'Ha, you're all racing at our track.'

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:01 pm 

Johnston wrote:
jammin78 wrote:

You saying the winner might get a rather over size tin of Red Bull :lol: :lol:

Would be funny if the podium 3 are Ferrari/TNT, Lotus/Burn and McLaren/Lucozade. Has Merc still got Monster?

Sure has, Merc still have Monster branded on helmets/cars from what I could see! I mentioned the energy-drink wars in a thread a few weeks back, I love it!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:01 pm 

Senna88 wrote:
Either Turkey or Austria look set to make 2013 another 20 race season

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/20614283

What do you guys think about the potential return of one of these two circuits? Which would you like to see back, for me it would be Turkey as i generally prefer high speed circuits although I do miss the magnificent setting of the A1 Ring.

I think I'd rather see a return to the A1 Ring as it has more history and I think it has a better chance of being supported enough to retain a long-term presence on the calender. I could envision Istanbul being around for a handful of years and then going away, maybe replaced by another "new market" race, regardless of the 11-year contract.

But it doesn't seem like there is much debate, it will be Istanbul unless negotiations break down if reports are correct.

Either would be good IMO, hopefully followed with a 21-race calender for 2014, adding New Jersey and Sochi, and dropping either Korea or Bahrain. (And if France or Mexico City return at some point, have it replace whichever of Korea or Bahrain remains.)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:13 pm 

Misinformed wrote:
jammin78 wrote:
Misinformed wrote:

I'd have a similar view if Santander had a team, but rather they're a team sponsor. If Red Bull was just a sponsor for a team it wouldn't really bother me. I'm not even sure why it does, but there's just something about Red Bull Racing going to Red Bull Ring to race.. it would just gherkin me off. I kind of get the feeling like they'd seem pretentious. With the whole 'Ha, you're all racing at our track.'

How dd you feel about Honda racing at Suzuka and Toyota racing at Fuji? Sorry I am being facetious, I actually agree it would annoy me as well plus hate the A1 ring in its current config. I would much prefer a return to Magny Cours.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:25 pm 

I actually don't have an opinion on the aforementioned races seeing as that I have only been watching Formula One for the better part of 2 and a half years.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:39 pm 

Would love to see F1 back at my former favourite venue...though the A1 Ring has changed a bit since Ferrari rang its death knell in 2002...

Even if it ends up being Turkey, it's nice to see Austria is throwing their name into the hat, and a return in later years may be a possiblity.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:24 pm 

I personally would still prefer to see a French GP on the calendar. It doesn't sit easy with me that the countries which founded grand prix motor racing could be chucked out at Bernie's whim. France, Germany, Italy, Belgium, Monaco and Britain need to be ring fenced. There's so many others I'd love to see stay or introduced, but those shouldn't even be up for discussion.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:38 pm 

jammin78 wrote:
Misinformed wrote:

Petronas are title sponsors of Mercedes and sponsor the Malaysian GP, it doesn't really bother anyone, it's perfectly normal. The Red Bull Ring could be a bit strange though.

Forza Jules!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:44 pm 

schumi7 wrote:
jammin78 wrote:
Misinformed wrote:

Petronas are title sponsors of Mercedes and sponsor the Malaysian GP, it doesn't really bother anyone, it's perfectly normal. The Red Bull Ring could be a bit strange though.

I'm pretty sure Red Bull own both Red Bull Racing and the Red Bull Ring. That's a little different to sponsoring a team and a race.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:45 pm 

I would prefer Istanbul over Red Bull Ring.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:13 pm 

Technically speaking Istanbul Park is on the Asian side of the country. I like both of them, yes A1 ring has more history. I remember watching some race on the net at A1 dont know the year, Stefan Johansson hitting a deer on that track in his Mclaren. Scary stuff. But Id like to see both on the calender. Hey more is always better, right?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:22 pm 

scuderia_stevie wrote:
schumi7 wrote:
jammin78 wrote:
Misinformed wrote:

I'm pretty sure Red Bull own both Red Bull Racing and the Red Bull Ring. That's a little different to sponsoring a team and a race.

Yeah, that's my point.

Forza Jules!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:10 pm 

Like them as much as each other.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:13 pm 

It depends. I would want the a1 ring back. BUT. It has to be the 1'10 track. Not the new loop red bull have made.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:14 am 

According to Wiki:

"In October 2008, the track owner Dietrich Mateschitz ruled out any chance of the track hosting a MotoGP or Formula One Grand Prix in the future, and said it would only be used for DTM events."

I have no idea how true that is. However... some good layouts could be concocted amongst the redevelopments! Though they've pretty much demolished the fast first corner of old.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:24 am 

Location: Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
schumi7 wrote:
scuderia_stevie wrote:
schumi7 wrote:
jammin78 wrote:
Misinformed wrote:

Yeah, that's my point.

I'm not saying Mateschitz would pull a fast one and alter the kerbs to suit his cars or something as cynical as that (at least I don't think I am). But there's so much that could cause problems. Imagine if Ferrari decided they didn't have as much space for their transporters, or a power failure affected one top team but not RB, or the McLaren pit flooded in a storm... or any one of 1000 things that can and do happen at every event, but are just dealt with. Suddenly there'd be a suspicion it had been orchestrated, imagine what the forum would be like!

of Alice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:00 am 

Obligatory video... :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=en-GB&v=-_7_aJnQ1Uk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:02 am 

scuderia_stevie wrote:
I personally would still prefer to see a French GP on the calendar. It doesn't sit easy with me that the countries which founded grand prix motor racing could be chucked out at Bernie's whim. France, Germany, Italy, Belgium, Monaco and Britain need to be ring fenced.

+1. And I'd like the French GP to be at Paul Ricard with that straight straightened out again.

I don't like Turkey because although it is a great circuit, the atmosphere is very dull.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:22 am 

If its a straight choice between Austria and Turkey I'd pick Austria.

France should have a GP on the calendar.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:24 am 

Zekenwolf wrote:
scuderia_stevie wrote:
I personally would still prefer to see a French GP on the calendar. It doesn't sit easy with me that the countries which founded grand prix motor racing could be chucked out at Bernie's whim. France, Germany, Italy, Belgium, Monaco and Britain need to be ring fenced.

+1. And I'd like the French GP to be at Paul Ricard with that straight straightened out again.

I don't like Turkey because although it is a great circuit, the atmosphere is very dull.

:thumbup: +49.5

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:30 am 

Sutton wrote:

I'd pick Turkey but the new Austria layout (planned or existing?) looks interesting.

They should ditch Bahrain and New Jersey and merge Valencia/Catalunya and bring in France and Turkey, I think. Or something like that.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:43 pm 

Eva09 wrote:
Sutton wrote:

I'd pick Turkey but the new Austria layout (planned or existing?) looks interesting.

They should ditch Bahrain and New Jersey and merge Valencia/Catalunya and bring in France and Turkey, I think. Or something like that.

id agree.

however Bernie and co LOVE the middle east. remember people were getting slaughtered in the streets in Bahrain yet F1 STILL wanted to go there. In fact, within a year or two don't be surprised to see a third race in the desert.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:39 pm 

Apparently, the Turkish Govt will not support staging the GP and the news is that the organisers were dependent on that.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:44 pm 

A1 Ring it is then! :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:09 pm 

Adaemus wrote:
A1 Ring it is then! :D

I would definitely be in favor of the A1 Ring over returning to Valencia.

I know a lot don't like Monaco, but I still like it, because its Monaco, and in a season with 18-20 races, there's nothing wrong with having one that it so different.

But Valencia isn't Monaco, and just isn't a very interesting stop IMO given the other possible sites for a "European Grand Prix."

Though reading the comments from the Turkish Sports Minister, I wonder if there isn't room for negotiation if the government would get a share of the income in a split with organizers, and I have this feeling that if Bernie wants to return F1 to Istanbul, something will end up being worked out.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:37 am 

Red Bull Ring layout is the same as it was in the late 90s-early 2000s.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:45 am 

Read on Eurosport that the term "Austrian GP" has been trademarked.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:04 pm 

Hope so.
A1Ring-Red Bull Ring layout is simple but fascinating, and not far from home :D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:08 pm 

Hate to be the one to ask but what happened to the French GP negotiations that were going on to replace New Jersey?
I know Paul Ricard said no but wasn't Magny Cours being considered too?

Not that I'd mind a return to Austria or Turkey either.

PF1s Pick 10 Competition
Wins: 2 (Malaysia and Singapore 2012)
2011 Rubens Barrichello Trophy Winner (17th)
2012 Lewis Hamilton Trophy Winner (4th)
2013 Lewis Hamilton Trophy Winner (4th)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:26 pm 

aerospeed wrote:
Read on Eurosport that the term "Austrian GP" has been trademarked.

Slovenian GP it is then :D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:26 pm 

according to an article posted yesterday on James Allen Turkey have confirmed an agreement in principle to host a race - just waiting for government ratification

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2012/12/f ... d-to-know/