planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:11 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:34 am 

What does the dropping of 2014 Aero changes mean for Mercedes? Will they have to be content with mid-field for the 2013-2016 period? What will their development timetable be now they have been denied a blanker canvas in 2014? Will they have to push for the whole season in 2013 with the advantages for 2014 diminished?

"Perhaps me and Twitter don't go together too well." - LH

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:05 am 

I posted this in another thread, as there already redesigning their car entirely I imagine not as much as some expect.

The Aero regs not changing isn't as big a deal as some people are making, the 2012 regs when combined with the new engine/ power regs will even up the cars massively.

The output of exhaust gasses from the new engines will be a hell of a lot less and will not be able to be used to provide rear stability for the car, which will impact the effectiveness of the rear diffuser.

The changing of the load tests will wrinkle out any defincincies in possible flexi wings and noses - so thats another area closed up

The restriction on using DRS around the whole track in qualifying to just those of the DRS zone will negate much of the difference between teams DRS efficiencies , so top speed becomes more valuable

No more DDRS

The added capacity of the Kers system means that teams who still havent mastered Kers will be even weaker

The New engines cant even be compared yet, their could be massive discrepancies between the outputs of the different models

God knows what tyres well get in 2014

People saying Mercedes will be gutted, I dont think they'll be that gutted, 2013 will see the teams close up a lot in the aero side. There wont be any major gains from what we currently have in that department with the tests tightening up, removal of DDRS, removal of DRS around the whole track. The team that will be licking its lips at both these years will be McLaren and Ferrari. The team that will feel the pinch will be Red Bull.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:35 am 

stevey wrote:
I posted this in another thread, as there already redesigning their car entirely I imagine not as much as some expect.

The Aero regs not changing isn't as big a deal as some people are making, the 2012 regs when combined with the new engine/ power regs will even up the cars massively.

The output of exhaust gasses from the new engines will be a hell of a lot less and will not be able to be used to provide rear stability for the car, which will impact the effectiveness of the rear diffuser.

The changing of the load tests will wrinkle out any defincincies in possible flexi wings and noses - so thats another area closed up

The restriction on using DRS around the whole track in qualifying to just those of the DRS zone will negate much of the difference between teams DRS efficiencies , so top speed becomes more valuable

No more DDRS

The added capacity of the Kers system means that teams who still havent mastered Kers will be even weaker

The New engines cant even be compared yet, their could be massive discrepancies between the outputs of the different models

God knows what tyres well get in 2014

People saying Mercedes will be gutted, I dont think they'll be that gutted, 2013 will see the teams close up a lot in the aero side. There wont be any major gains from what we currently have in that department with the tests tightening up, removal of DDRS, removal of DRS around the whole track. The team that will be licking its lips at both these years will be McLaren and Ferrari. The team that will feel the pinch will be Red Bull.

I have to agree I think it helps McLaren and Ferrari the most.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:55 am 

What about the engine sounds??? I dont want F1 to be silent.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:55 pm 

Ev0lutionz wrote:

Explain why it would EVER be silent. Even the Formula-E (100% electric) cars make a fair bit of noise!

If you're only interested in F1 for the sound the cars make then you really aren't interested in F1.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:57 pm 

Ev0lutionz wrote:

I don't think the scrapping of the new aero rules will have any effect on the engine sound. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:39 pm 

It helps every team, because the proposed 2014 aero regulations were very restrictive and wouldn't have allowed any of the teams freedom to innovate and gain performance. Its way more likely Merc is planning on making up ground via its engine and recovery systems anyway, which will probably be pretty strong.