planetf1.com

It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:59 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:46 am
Posts: 261
I was thinking about how much the colours change over the grid as time goes on. There are some great designs that have been lost like the Canon Williams and the Marlboro Mclaren. But there have been those which at the time you hated and looking back now find extremely beautiful. Kinda inspired by the changing perceptions thread, what cars do you think look good now but didn't during its competitive time?

I'll start the ball rolling with these three.

Image
Renault R27 2007

Image
Arrows A20 1999

Image
Jordan EJ15 2005 (detailed version only)

_________________
Massa Grosjean Perez Vettel

PF1s Pick 10 Competition
Wins: 2 (Malaysia and Singapore 2012)
2011 Rubens Barrichello Trophy Winner (17th)
2012 Lewis Hamilton Trophy Winner (4th)
2013 Lewis Hamilton Trophy Winner (4th)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:22 pm
Posts: 3580
Image

_________________
I have nothing to offer but blood, oil, gears, and sweat.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:21 pm
Posts: 1738
Agreed on the 2008 Renault, I always thought that looked pretty good, not sure where the hate came from. The 2009 Renault on the other hand... bleh.

I'd like to throw in the early 2000s Sauber. I never really liked that to begin with but the more I see it the more I warm to it. Much better than the tripe they have now.

_________________
Official Kamui Kobayashi Fanboy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:46 am
Posts: 261
Volantary wrote:
Agreed on the 2008 Renault, I always thought that looked pretty good, not sure where the hate came from. The 2009 Renault on the other hand... bleh.

I'd like to throw in the early 2000s Sauber. I never really liked that to begin with but the more I see it the more I warm to it. Much better than the tripe they have now.


After the blue/yellows from 2002 to 2006, the 07 car just shocked me a lot so I never liked it at the time. I liked the 08 car because I was used to it by then but looking back the 07 car was even prettier imo.

Definitely agree on the 09 car!

_________________
Massa Grosjean Perez Vettel

PF1s Pick 10 Competition
Wins: 2 (Malaysia and Singapore 2012)
2011 Rubens Barrichello Trophy Winner (17th)
2012 Lewis Hamilton Trophy Winner (4th)
2013 Lewis Hamilton Trophy Winner (4th)


Last edited by ManicOversteer on Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:29 am
Posts: 963
Ferrari should go back to scarlet red - I hate these darker versions since 2008-09ish.

Sadly without tobacco sponsorship I doubt any modern livery will one day be remembered as a 'classic' i.e. Canon Williams/Marlboro McLaren/Mild Seven Benetton/Renault.

Red Bull is constantly boring.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:56 pm
Posts: 379
i never used to like the williams 2004-5 livery. but have changed my mind :)

Image

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:09 pm
Posts: 1113
Agreed on the Renault.

The 2012 Sauber livery really has grown on me, I thought it looked ridiculous at the beginning of the year, but I'm quite a fan of it now.

Image

_________________
米克尔 科琳娜 吉娜 米克
Keep Fighting Michael!

Forza Jules!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:29 am
Posts: 963
schumi7 wrote:
Agreed on the Renault.

The 2012 Sauber livery really has grown on me, I thought it looked ridiculous at the beginning of the year, but I'm quite a fan of it now.

Image

I was praying they'd go back to the all-black livery - it did grow on me throughout the season, though.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:14 pm
Posts: 2460
MistaVega23 wrote:
Ferrari should go back to scarlet red - I hate these darker versions since 2008-09ish.

Sadly without tobacco sponsorship I doubt any modern livery will one day be remembered as a 'classic' i.e. Canon Williams/Marlboro McLaren/Mild Seven Benetton/Renault.

Red Bull is constantly boring.


I agree, I liked the colour from 1997-2005.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 28, 2006 8:01 pm
Posts: 866
Am I the only who does not like the black/gold Lotus, past or present?

_________________
I'm a racing driver. Always was, always will be.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:20 pm
Posts: 1622
Location: Secret Volcano Lair
I didnt hate any previous liveries as far as remember. However I hated the HRT colour. That dull green colour looked like cowdung. Other than that im cool with all.

_________________
Loading Quote.......
--------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:21 pm
Posts: 1738
Eva09 wrote:
MistaVega23 wrote:
Ferrari should go back to scarlet red - I hate these darker versions since 2008-09ish.

Sadly without tobacco sponsorship I doubt any modern livery will one day be remembered as a 'classic' i.e. Canon Williams/Marlboro McLaren/Mild Seven Benetton/Renault.

Red Bull is constantly boring.


I agree, I liked the colour from 1997-2005.


Isn't the colour the same now? They definitely made it lighter between 2009 and 2010. I wasn't a fan of the scarlet either though, the lighter ones are much better.

_________________
Official Kamui Kobayashi Fanboy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:26 pm
Posts: 804
Location: Ontario, Canada
Red Bull is still boring and cliche, however their wings for life livery at the British GP was pretty awesome.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 1:29 pm
Posts: 1379
Location: Wrexham, UK
The 2007 Renault was beautiful, I don't think I ever hated it to be honest... I can't think of any liveries I hated but have turned to like. None F1, I used to think the Martini Aston Martin was a rotter, but now its my favourite :)

_________________
"You are the universe expressing itself as a Human for a little while..."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:16 pm
Posts: 111
Image

Hated this car in Australia. Really appreciated for what it was by the start of the European season. You sometimes just suddenly come to the realization that it's a beautiful car.

Agree about the R27!

Image

The Bumblebee! And I know some people liked this right off the bat, and I was one of them. However, I also remember this livery came with quite an opposition too.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:05 pm
Posts: 2405
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Image
Didn't think much of it at the time, but thinking back, I think it does look a lot better than the ones they've had afterwards.

_________________
"I am out of the drink again. It's so small. Mark has to make sure it's completely full, because it is too small."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:22 pm
Posts: 3580
Porsan wrote:
Am I the only who does not like the black/gold Lotus, past or present?

It looked better on the LOTUS than it does on the lotus though

_________________
I have nothing to offer but blood, oil, gears, and sweat.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:09 pm
Posts: 1113
Porsan wrote:
Am I the only who does not like the black/gold Lotus, past or present?

I quite like the past one, I think it is a bit overrated though.
I can't understand what people find so great in the present one, I mean is the 'gold' on it is basically beige, or are my eyes screwed up?

Image

_________________
米克尔 科琳娜 吉娜 米克
Keep Fighting Michael!

Forza Jules!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:43 pm
Posts: 75
schumi7 wrote:
Porsan wrote:
Am I the only who does not like the black/gold Lotus, past or present?

I quite like the past one, I think it is a bit overrated though.
I can't understand what people find so great in the present one, I mean is the 'gold' on it is basically beige, or are my eyes screwed up?

Image


It was more gold at the beginning of last year

Image

_________________
Image
Michael Schumacher Mercedes AMG Petronas


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:05 pm
Posts: 2405
Location: Helsinki, Finland
schumi7 wrote:
Porsan wrote:
Am I the only who does not like the black/gold Lotus, past or present?

I quite like the past one, I think it is a bit overrated though.
I can't understand what people find so great in the present one, I mean is the 'gold' on it is basically beige, or are my eyes screwed up?

I like the black in it. I don't think the beige is that spectacular either. I would rather like to see the beige replaced with white.

_________________
"I am out of the drink again. It's so small. Mark has to make sure it's completely full, because it is too small."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:07 pm
Posts: 5796
schumi7 wrote:
Porsan wrote:
Am I the only who does not like the black/gold Lotus, past or present?

I quite like the past one, I think it is a bit overrated though.
I can't understand what people find so great in the present one, I mean is the 'gold' on it is basically beige, or are my eyes screwed up?

Image

Your eyes are ok. As tobacco advertising is banned in many countries, someone wanted to sue team for advertising JPS brand. Team to avoid troubles changed paint from gold to something that looks like gold, but isn't gold, so noone can sue them. Absurd, but this is what happened.

_________________
***


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:26 pm
Posts: 804
Location: Ontario, Canada
Lotus really needs to find their own identity, even if they name themselves Enstone F1 i'd like that better. Also, I hate that beige so much, I thought I was the only one who cared/noticed! :]


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:00 pm
Posts: 2465
dizlexik wrote:
schumi7 wrote:
Porsan wrote:
Am I the only who does not like the black/gold Lotus, past or present?

I quite like the past one, I think it is a bit overrated though.
I can't understand what people find so great in the present one, I mean is the 'gold' on it is basically beige, or are my eyes screwed up?

Your eyes are ok. As tobacco advertising is banned in many countries, someone wanted to sue team for advertising JPS brand. Team to avoid troubles changed paint from gold to something that looks like gold, but isn't gold, so noone can sue them. Absurd, but this is what happened.

I was a big Andretti fan when I was a kid, and given an AM radio built into a Lotus 79 model for my birthday or Christmas one year. I don't know whether or not JPS cigarettes were sold in the US at the time or not, but I had never heard of them so I thought John Player was the team owner and the car was the special.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:57 am
Posts: 1010
Just annoys me that the stripes are too thick....if it was more like this:

Image

...then it would be great.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:37 am
Posts: 911
Location: Upsate NY, USA
schumi7 wrote:
Porsan wrote:
Am I the only who does not like the black/gold Lotus, past or present?

I quite like the past one, I think it is a bit overrated though.
I can't understand what people find so great in the present one, I mean is the 'gold' on it is basically beige, or are my eyes screwed up?

Image

I'm glad someone finally brought this up :lol:
All season I thought it looked beige because of my colorblindness :lol:
I feel relieved


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:21 pm
Posts: 1738
dizlexik wrote:
schumi7 wrote:
Porsan wrote:
Am I the only who does not like the black/gold Lotus, past or present?

I quite like the past one, I think it is a bit overrated though.
I can't understand what people find so great in the present one, I mean is the 'gold' on it is basically beige, or are my eyes screwed up?

Image

Your eyes are ok. As tobacco advertising is banned in many countries, someone wanted to sue team for advertising JPS brand. Team to avoid troubles changed paint from gold to something that looks like gold, but isn't gold, so noone can sue them. Absurd, but this is what happened.


I'm prettty sure it was changed because after having analysed the footage from old races they found that the old lotuses were actually black and beige too, it just showed up goldy on the cameras. That's why the Renault started gold (because they though ooh it looks black and gold, must be!) but then changed it mid season so it looked gold on the cameras. The gold was barely visible on the early 2011 car.

_________________
Official Kamui Kobayashi Fanboy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:09 pm
Posts: 1113
Phew, no need for a check up yet :p

Speaking of the Enstone team, the R30 had one of the best liveries I've ever seen. At first I didn't really take much notice of it, but looking back, damn it looked good.

Image

_________________
米克尔 科琳娜 吉娜 米克
Keep Fighting Michael!

Forza Jules!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:43 am
Posts: 1
Adaemus wrote:
Just annoys me that the stripes are too thick....if it was more like this:

Image

...then it would be great.


This is when I got interested in F1. Renault has nothing to do with this - you can't buy heritage.

Renault has their own motorsport background - they should use that, it's what they are.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:09 pm
Posts: 1182
The ING Renault Livery was a mess and had no flow with the shape of the car. The only way it looks great is on those Shark Sculptures i posted a few months back. Their Mild Seven baby blue liveries are my favorite ever in F1 by a mile. Everything about it was impeccably perfect front to back, top to bottom. Bellisimo!!!

I never tire of the colors from these views: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpbvY_I5Ezs

The 2011 Williams Livery runs a very close 2nd for me. I LOVE the vintage pinstriping down the length of the car and veers off towards the back of the side pods perfectly. The color choices for them are perfect as well and the round number plates are all so... mMPH!!

Image

I was fond of the original HRT Livery from the moment I saw it but every one after it was pretty blaahhh with this year's being god awful IMO.

McLaren's liveries have been beautiful since the West versions and the current mirror finish silver is amazingly beautiful. They have just the right amount of and placement for all the sponsors and none of them are overly gaudy.

Sauber 2012 has been gorgeous to me from day one and their platypus nose is the only one I found to actually like.

_________________
Second place is the first loser!


Last edited by the incubus on Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:55 am
Posts: 62
moby wrote:
Image

Wait! That looks familiar...

It's coming to me... it's coming to me...

Oh! That's the Yardley car, isn't it?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:23 am
Posts: 190
schumi7 wrote:
Phew, no need for a check up yet :p

Speaking of the Enstone team, the R30 had one of the best liveries I've ever seen. At first I didn't really take much notice of it, but looking back, damn it looked good.

Image


Agreed the bumblebee'd Renaults look fantastic


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:21 pm
Posts: 1738
the incubus wrote:
The ING Renault Livery was a mess and had no flow with the shape of the car. The only way it looks great is on those Shark Sculptures i posted a few months back. Their Mild Seven baby blue liveries are my favorite ever in F1 by a mile. Everything about it was impeccably perfect front to back, top to bottom. Bellisimo!!!

I never tire of the colors from these views: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpbvY_I5Ezs

The 2011 Williams Livery runs a very close 2nd for me. I LOVE the vintage pinstriping down the length of the car and veers off towards the back of the side pods perfectly. The color choices for them are perfect as well and the round number plates are all so... mMPH!!

[img]http://kurtporrine.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/will_livery_2011-4.jpg[img]

I was fond of the original HRT Livery from the moment I saw it but every one after it was pretty blaahhh with this year's being god awful IMO.

McLaren's liveries have been beautiful since the West versions and the current mirror finish silver is amazingly beautiful. They have just the right amount of and placement for all the sponsors and none of them are overly gaudy.

Sauber 2012 has been gorgeous to me from day one and their platypus nose is the only one I found to actually like.


Completely disagree with the 2011 Williams, I thought it was godawful. I love this year's car, so much cleaner, what the 2011 car should have looked like imo. The copy of the rothmans livery just didn't suit the shape of the car.

_________________
Official Kamui Kobayashi Fanboy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:07 pm
Posts: 5796
Volantary wrote:
dizlexik wrote:
schumi7 wrote:
Porsan wrote:
Am I the only who does not like the black/gold Lotus, past or present?

I quite like the past one, I think it is a bit overrated though.
I can't understand what people find so great in the present one, I mean is the 'gold' on it is basically beige, or are my eyes screwed up?

Image

Your eyes are ok. As tobacco advertising is banned in many countries, someone wanted to sue team for advertising JPS brand. Team to avoid troubles changed paint from gold to something that looks like gold, but isn't gold, so noone can sue them. Absurd, but this is what happened.


I'm prettty sure it was changed because after having analysed the footage from old races they found that the old lotuses were actually black and beige too, it just showed up goldy on the cameras. That's why the Renault started gold (because they though ooh it looks black and gold, must be!) but then changed it mid season so it looked gold on the cameras. The gold was barely visible on the early 2011 car.

I'\m not 100% sure, but this is what I found:

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/18012011/ ... ouble.html
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2011/06/06/r ... rand-prix/

_________________
***


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:05 pm
Posts: 675
Location: 93013
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:05 pm
Posts: 675
Location: 93013
The Honda RA107, when I first saw it I said, WTF is that ? But it really grew on me, I think it's awesome.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:19 pm
Posts: 99
dizlexik wrote:
Volantary wrote:
dizlexik wrote:
schumi7 wrote:
Porsan wrote:
Am I the only who does not like the black/gold Lotus, past or present?

I quite like the past one, I think it is a bit overrated though.
I can't understand what people find so great in the present one, I mean is the 'gold' on it is basically beige, or are my eyes screwed up?

Image

Your eyes are ok. As tobacco advertising is banned in many countries, someone wanted to sue team for advertising JPS brand. Team to avoid troubles changed paint from gold to something that looks like gold, but isn't gold, so noone can sue them. Absurd, but this is what happened.


I'm prettty sure it was changed because after having analysed the footage from old races they found that the old lotuses were actually black and beige too, it just showed up goldy on the cameras. That's why the Renault started gold (because they though ooh it looks black and gold, must be!) but then changed it mid season so it looked gold on the cameras. The gold was barely visible on the early 2011 car.

I'\m not 100% sure, but this is what I found:

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/18012011/ ... ouble.html
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2011/06/06/r ... rand-prix/


They were still gold in Canada. Didnt change to beige until Silverstone.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:57 pm
Posts: 82
Too many to list

Hated this when it raced, now I love it
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 12:07 am
Posts: 591
Kind of the reverse to the OP question, but I remember seeing the new silver McLaren in person at Montreal in '06. Love at first sight. As good as I think it looks on TV, in person it's stunning.

I never really liked the original McLaren orange, but it's grown on me now I'm more of a diligent student of F1 history.

_________________
Tous Avec Jules #17


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:53 am
Posts: 608
Location: York, United Kingdom.
I dont get the love for the R20, to me its just looks horrible. The Yellow is too bright and the sponsors are just arranged hap-hazardly wherever they would fit.
For me I really didnt like the 2009 Force India livery because it just looked too in your face but I quite like it now because it seems moe restrained but still stands out. I dont mind most liveries but I like change so I dont really like it when a team keeps the same one for ages, Mclaren need a change for sure and Sauber need an image transplant because the last three have been really bland.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:21 pm
Posts: 1738
TakumaSatoforthewin wrote:
I dont get the love for the R20, to me its just looks horrible. The Yellow is too bright and the sponsors are just arranged hap-hazardly wherever they would fit.
For me I really didnt like the 2009 Force India livery because it just looked too in your face but I quite like it now because it seems moe restrained but still stands out. I dont mind most liveries but I like change so I dont really like it when a team keeps the same one for ages, Mclaren need a change for sure and Sauber need an image transplant because the last three have been really bland.


Image

Looks good to me! Yellow is just a good colour to have in F1, no-one ever says the Jordan cars were ugly. Sponsors seem to be arranged fairly sensibly too.

_________________
Official Kamui Kobayashi Fanboy


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group