planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:14 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:50 pm 

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a44 ... bc-f1.html

A shortlist of candidates to replace Jake Humphrey as BBC F1 anchor has reportedly been drawn up.

Former BBC Moto GP anchor Suzi Perry, current BBC F1 pitlane reporter Lee McKenzie and BBC Radio 5 Live's Mark Pougatch are said to be in contention to succeed Humphrey, who is taking up a new job fronting BT Vision's Premier League football coverage.

The Daily Telegraph reports that BBC bosses are favouring a female anchor to work alongside existing pundits David Coulthard and Eddie Jordan.

Perry is believed to be the frontrunner, although McKenzie is held in high esteem within the F1 paddock and previously anchored the show when Humphrey was working at the 2010 Commonwealth Games and the London 2012 Olympics.

Chris Evans, who had previously been linked with the role, is no longer thought to be in contention due the potential for conflict with his existing commitments at BBC Radio 2 and The One Show.

He is also said to have been reluctant to travel to races which the BBC did not have live as part of its F1 rights-sharing deal with Sky.

The final decision could be made as early as next week.

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a44 ... z2EMyvgHv1
Follow us: @digitalspy on Twitter | digitalspyuk on Facebook

Please tweet me> @PG-F1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:02 pm 

Dodged a bullet with Chris Evans there. I think either of them would do well in the role.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:03 pm 

Suzi gets my vote :-) for her age she is very easy on the eyes and imho very good, as is McKenzie but suzi for me would be good

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:35 pm 

I quite like Chris Evans and his likes his cars, but I'm 100% certain his approach would end up in him upsetting a few drivers and other F1 personnel over the course of the season.

McKenzie has been crap whenever she's filled n for Jake so I really hope she doesn't get it, I don't mind Perry so I don't mind her getting it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:36 pm 

Off-topic but I overheard someone in work yesterday saying the Beeb have got all races live next year - true or not?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:43 pm 

Suzi Perry all the way for me; excellent when presenting moto GP. Conveyed a sense of knowledge and more importantly interest (which Jake never did). Had the respect of the riders too. Was also very good as lead presenter of the gadget show until they decided to re-jig the format (the current 'world tour' thing is awful - but that's another story). Pougatch is someone with more of a football background and unless he is really interested in F1 and isn't using it as a career step then he shouldn't be considered.

Lee McKenzie is better suited to the roving reporter role I think , has settled nicely. Maybe it could develop into a pitlane type thing like Kravitz used to do.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:00 pm 

Sevenfest wrote:
Dodged a bullet with Chris Evans there. I think either of them would do well in the role.

Dodged. A. Bullet. Dodged.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:04 pm 

MistaVega23 wrote:
Off-topic but I overheard someone in work yesterday saying the Beeb have got all races live next year - true or not?

Judging by Chris Evans' refusal to travel to races not presented live I am guessing not

Although one of my facebook friends posted something similar after the race in Brazil, I am assuming Jake made some comment about ALL the races being on the bbc next year and it has been misinterpreted

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:23 pm 

Lee Lee Lee Lee Lee.

She deserves it more than anyone.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:29 pm 

If Lee gets it, the BBC have a fighting chance of still getting decent features out of the drivers. As can be seen with the stale interviews sky get, if you don't have rapport with the drivers and teams you just get PR answers. The stuff with Lewis and Jenson in the pub still sticks in my mind and I'm pretty sure that was in 2010!

Bringing AN other in will put them on the same footing as Sky, which is another advantage the BBC will lose over them.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:29 pm 

After the washout Suzuka coverage Lee got lumbered with, she gets my vote hands down.

"...And that's not a driver, that's a duck".

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:36 pm 

Volantary wrote:
If Lee gets it, the BBC have a fighting chance of still getting decent features out of the drivers. As can be seen with the stale interviews sky get, if you don't have rapport with the drivers and teams you just get PR answers. The stuff with Lewis and Jenson in the pub still sticks in my mind and I'm pretty sure that was in 2010!

Bringing AN other in will put them on the same footing as Sky, which is another advantage the BBC will lose over them.

i agree with you to a point but sky have brundle and kravitz who in my view are two of the best in the business at the moment.i still love how brundle will storm up to drivers on the grid and just shove everyone out the way and stick a mic in their face.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:48 pm 

Lee is good as a pitlane reporter but doesnt really have the presence to be the main presenter. She was okay-ish when she filled in but I don't think she could make the role her own.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:50 pm 

Jake, DC and EJ made a good team and I'm going to really miss both the pre & post race by them.

I like Lee McKenzie and like some of the others mentioned, she has good rapport with the drivers; a crucial element in getting good interviews with them. It's hard to judge whether she'll be good based on when she hosted for Jake. That was the first time BBC had a female anchor and she looked very nervous. My concern is that if she has a strong enough personality/boldness to complement EJs extremity and DCs details. But Lee is extremely passionate about F1.

Don't know very much about Suzi, as I have only seen what little I could find on YouTube (most of the hits when searched showed up "Suzi undressing, upskirt, etc.") From what I saw she seemed to have a strong personality and pretty bold. But most of the videos I saw for MotoGP was just with her and not sure how well she'd mesh with EJ & DC. Also, don't know how passionate she is about F1.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:54 pm 

id be a supporter of Suzie Perry as host and Lee in her reporter role.

i do like Skys coverage, but im in agreement that the drivers and F1 people like Lee more than say Skys Natalie.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:15 pm 

fooshnazzy wrote:
Jake, DC and EJ made a good team and I'm going to really miss both the pre & post race by them.

I like Lee McKenzie and like some of the others mentioned, she has good rapport with the drivers; a crucial element in getting good interviews with them. It's hard to judge whether she'll be good based on when she hosted for Jake. That was the first time BBC had a female anchor and she looked very nervous. My concern is that if she has a strong enough personality/boldness to complement EJs extremity and DCs details. But Lee is extremely passionate about F1.

Don't know very much about Suzi, as I have only seen what little I could find on YouTube (most of the hits when searched showed up "Suzi undressing, upskirt, etc.") From what I saw she seemed to have a strong personality and pretty bold. But most of the videos I saw for MotoGP was just with her and not sure how well she'd mesh with EJ & DC. Also, don't know how passionate she is about F1.

Don't know how she is as a MotoGP presenter but in the Gadget Show she seemed very much in love with herself and tried very hard to be the centre of attention all the time. Hope she wouldn't do the same in F1.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:47 pm 

As much as I adore Lee, I think she'd be too modest to be the main presenter.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:11 pm 

I do like Lee and she'd do a fine ob but if Perry is available I'd rather she got the role. Lee is a fantastic reporter and she has the respect of the driver's. Keep her where she does best. Perry was excellent on MotoGP most of the time and she'll banter well with the guys.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:50 pm 

Whoever it is, I hope it's someone that can keep the banter flowing. I fear if they hire too attractive a female presenter we'll just be watching DC and Eddie trip up over their words... :P

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:18 pm 

Steve Rider?

Adrian Chiles? :D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:30 pm 

I have a soft (non double entendres please) soft for Suzi Perry.

However, I feel they should promote from whithin. Lee showed she was capable of doing the show, give her a chance.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:35 pm 

Sutton wrote:
Steve Rider?

Gah! No...I can't be distracted by his mammoth hands for every session again! 8O

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:45 pm 

I'd like to say Lee, because as others have said, she is liked and respected by teams and drivers alike in the paddock. She also has the respect of DC and EJ which will help in the settling in of the new role. However, imo, when she covered Jake before, she was a little ridged and straight, so I'm wondering if hiring someone with more presenting experience would be a better option.

Whoever they choose, if it is a female, we will have lost the 'three amigos' style features/fillers/intros for good, which I for one will be sad about. Lets just hope they have some good script writers for next season to make the mist of the new format we'll have.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:11 pm 

is its cos she is fat a famous line from alli g fits in well here

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:09 pm 

i think lee is the best candidate , knowedgeable, and comes across really well, even when the moment is charged , she keeps it together and stays calm , and easily up to be main presenter for the beeb

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:35 am 

fooshnazzy wrote:

Not sure if its available on youtube but Suzi was interviewed at the end of a Monaco GP by the team. From what I remember she held her own in relation to a debate on Motogp v F1.
As for her passion for MotoGP over F1; can't hold that against her. After all it didnt stop Murray being one of the best.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:51 am 

rob_the_shark wrote:
MistaVega23 wrote:

Judging by Chris Evans' refusal to travel to races not presented live I am guessing not

Although one of my facebook friends posted something similar after the race in Brazil, I am assuming Jake made some comment about ALL the races being on the bbc next year and it has been misinterpreted

All the races are on the BBC next year, just not all live and not the full coverage. Simple to understand.

froze wrote:
As much as I adore Lee, I think she'd be too modest to be the main presenter.

:thumbup:
Too many are assuming a good interviewer will step up and be a good presenter too. I think she lacks bite in that area. Also, I thought EJ was going on a 20 month cruise (could still attend races) and DC was still expected to go to Sky. Any new presenter would almost certainly be heading up a whole new team, so gelling with the existing team isn't crucial.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:28 pm 

I find it hard to believe they seriously considered Chris Evans. As good as he is at certain presenting roles, I think he would be a disaster anchoring F1 coverage.

Suzi Perry could work, I think she'd make a better anchor than Lee McKenzie.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:15 pm 

Suzi would be an excellent choice, was great when presenting Motogp, would pick her over Lee for the job, Pugatch is pretty good on the radio when presenting football but he's never impressed me when on tv, a little wooden.

I'm surprised Matt Roberts, who presents the BBC Motogp coverage is being linked, maybe too much of a bike fan but he's pretty good.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:10 pm 

if i was lee and this was relay true i would be looking else ware as all those years in the sport just mean jack rabit

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:09 pm 

Suzi would be a great choice, the BBC F1 broadcast will be far better (In terms of presenting) than it ever has been by quite a margin.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:11 pm 

From what I remember of Suzi on the MotoGP coverage, it wasn't quite the same as the F1 coverage, in that most of it was pit walk. Indeed, I think that in actual fact Matt Roberts probably actually does a better job with his presenting than Suzi ever did. Also, I'm sure the World Superbike coverage she did for Sky Sports (I think), always felt like it had a tacky, "I'm the pretty grid girl/presenter" feel to it - probably more a creative/director decision, but not something I'd like the BBC to feel the need to follow.

Certainly what the BBC need is someone like Brundle, who has a clear and obvious passion for F1. I watched his piece that he did for Sky Sports F1 about the old Spa-Francorchamps circuit on YouTube yesterday, and you can really see how much he loves the sport, and the history. Get someone that shows a real passion for F1, or even motor racing generally, and that alone would appease many viewers.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:49 pm 

I can't see it being Lee McKenzie. She's fine as a pit-lane reporter and driver interviewer but she hasn't got the charisma to be the lead presenter.

It's a shame Chris Evans couldn't do it. I think he would do a great job.

Surprised only Perry and McKenzie are (apparently) in the running. Surely there are other candidates? That said, I'd take Perry over McKenzie, easily.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:03 pm 

Suzi Perry has been named as the new presenter for the BBC's Formula 1 coverage, taking over from Jake Humphrey.

Perry is a former presenter of the BBC's MotoGP coverage and has also hosted The Gadget Show on Channel 5.

Ben Gallop, BBC Head of F1, said: "We're delighted to welcome Suzi to the team. She'll bring real energy and years of experience to one of the biggest jobs in sports broadcasting. Her presenting ability, coupled with her love and knowledge of motorsport, make her an excellent addition to our line-up. I'd also like to take this opportunity to thank Jake Humphrey for his enormous contribution to the coverage over the last four years and we all wish him the best for the future."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:16 pm 

Well I always she was the best candidate of the names that had been linked with the job. Good decision I reckon. :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:54 pm 

Thank god for having kids as nowadays I only switch onto the GP's when its the start time.

As she was awful when doing motogp and she was unbelievably stupid when doing the gadget show.

Plus you can't even consider her eye candy... shes in her forties and looking well past it, I know women in theirs 50/60's who are more doable than her. The worse still the cellulite been showing in her legs the past few years. Proper turn off.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:40 pm 

:nod:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:04 pm 

Saorsa wrote:
Thank god for having kids as nowadays I only switch onto the GP's when its the start time.

As she was awful when doing motogp and she was unbelievably stupid when doing the gadget show.

Plus you can't even consider her eye candy... shes in her forties and looking well past it, I know women in theirs 50/60's who are more doable than her. The worse still the cellulite been showing in her legs the past few years. Proper turn off.

I'm sure she'll be devastated you don't want to 'do' her, you sexist pig. She's not doing the job for you to fap over her.

I like Suzi a lot and loved her (and miss her) on MotoGP. I think she'll soon whip Eddie and DC into shape and I think the paddock will love her.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:16 pm 

Unbutton wrote:
Saorsa wrote:

I'm sure she'll be devastated you don't want to 'do' her, you sexist pig. She's not doing the job for you to fap over her.

I like Suzi a lot and loved her (and miss her) on MotoGP. I think she'll soon whip Eddie and DC into shape and I think the paddock will love her.

:thumbup:

Look forward to seeing what she can do. The fact the first few races aren't live give her the perfect opportunity to hone her style and gel with the team.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:29 am 

Saorsa wrote:

1. I don't think Suzi will care about any of your opinions on her.

2. She was fine doing MotoGP, she was also good on The Gadget Show given the whole thing was really just an Apple lovefest for idiots.

3. Not everyone has the same tastes in women. What you may consider "undoable" others may consider beautiful. As for cellulite most women have it at some stage in their lives. It's normal. !eing 40 doesn't mean a woman is past it, it usually means a man is a sexist being who needa a reality check. Not every woman can look like Charlize Theron FFS.

5. If she turns you off so bad watch Sky. I'm sure Simon Lazenby will be more to your tastes, I bet he doesn't even have cellulite and he isn't in his 40s. Win win.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...