planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:32 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:45 pm 

Volantary wrote:
Adaemus wrote:
They didn't have anything to do with Lotus before this, they don't have anything to do with them after. No difference.

They did, the Lotus car company sponsored them, hence them being known as Lotus Renault last year and Lotus this year. Lotus have since stopped giving them money but they keep the name from what I can see.

I meant the real Lotus... ;)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:04 pm 

slide wrote:
i'd like to see winnie the pooh on the each side of the back wing

Only on the second car. Kimi should have Eeyore.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:24 pm 

Eva09 wrote:
Smus wrote:
Maybe to get rid of Total and RoGro.

Well hopefully a US company getting in will usher in a US based F1 team and drivers.

I wouldn't be so quick to ditch a driver who outqualified Kimi Raikkonen 10-9 this season.

I thought they ended up with a tie?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:26 pm 

RaggedMan wrote:
slide wrote:
i'd like to see winnie the pooh on the each side of the back wing

Only on the second car. Kimi should have Eeyore.

Then Grosjean should have Tigger, always happy and bumping around :D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:18 pm 

Eva09 wrote:
Smus wrote:

Well hopefully a US company getting in will usher in a US based F1 team and drivers.

I wouldn't be so quick to ditch a driver who outqualified Kimi Raikkonen 10-9 this season.

So...a driver that does ok Saturday but would crash every Sunday is a driver you would still keep?

I'm pointing RoGro in the question. What I'm pointing out is there's a lot more than just an just beating a teammate half the time on Saturday.

He's good...only when he's the only car on the track.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:33 pm 

Cozz wrote:
Eva09 wrote:
Smus wrote:

So...a driver that does ok Saturday but would crash every Sunday is a driver you would still keep?

I'm pointing RoGro in the question. What I'm pointing out is there's a lot more than just an just beating a teammate half the time on Saturday.

Yes, I would still keep him.

Speed wins races. He has speed. F1 is about winning races. He's still young and new to F1 and he has something you can't learn - speed. If he doesn't learn to race cleanly then ditch him, but for now they have Raikkonen, who is an excellent driver, they don't have to rely so much on the other driver to bring home the points because Raikkonen is still doing that.

Grosjean might surprise people next year if he is still on the grid.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:48 pm 

Volantary wrote:
Adaemus wrote:
They didn't have anything to do with Lotus before this, they don't have anything to do with them after. No difference.

They did, the Lotus car company sponsored them, hence them being known as Lotus Renault last year and Lotus this year. Lotus have since stopped giving them money but they keep the name from what I can see.

Yeah a deal was done that involved the potential for Proton to buy the team.

However, oddly no money exchanged hands. Big threads about the whole thing Last season before the forum changed software and everything was lost :(

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:54 pm 

Eva09 wrote:
Cozz wrote:
Eva09 wrote:
Smus wrote:

Speed wins races. He has speed. F1 is about winning races. He's still young and new to F1 and he has something you can't learn - speed. If he doesn't learn to race cleanly then ditch him, but for now they have Raikkonen, who is an excellent driver, they don't have to rely so much on the other driver to bring home the points because Raikkonen is still doing that.

He never had speed on race day. He was 90% of the time slower than Kimi on race day and crashed out in allot, got a ban and never learned still. Just a wasted seat from a wrecker who should be in lower sport. The incidents and standings don't lie.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:57 pm 

Well if Lotus are that Minted, i hope they're title contenders next year. I don't think i could stand another Vettel WDC

VI LXXVII XIV X
gif from reddit

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:04 pm 

Jomox wrote:
Eva09 wrote:
Cozz wrote:
Eva09 wrote:
Smus wrote:

He never had speed on race day. He was 90% of the time slower than Kimi on race day and crashed out in allot, got a ban and never learned still. Just a wasted seat from a wrecker who should be in lower sport. The incidents and standings don't lie.

Nor does 10-9 in qualifying lie. There are a lot of things that don't lie. It's a case of picking something out from the things that don't lie. Average race pace doesn't lie either, until Grosjean got his ban he was pretty much level compared to Kimi in that regard.

Saying he did not have speed on race day is a lie.

Am I saying Grosjean is better than Kimi? No. That would be a lie. I am saying that Grosjean has the potential, probably, to win races. What exactly do you think Bruno Senna or Jerome D'Ambrosio are going to do in that car? Given his potential, would it not make sense to keep Grosjean for one more year? Frankly I don't see Michael Schumacher or Alain Prost waiting to take his place.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:12 pm 

Eva09 wrote:

Nor does 10-9 in qualifying lie. There are a lot of things that don't lie. It's a case of picking something out from the things that don't lie. Average race pace doesn't lie either, until Grosjean got his ban he was pretty much level compared to Kimi in that regard.

Am I saying Grosjean is better than Kimi? No. That would be a lie. I am saying that Grosjean has the potential, probably, to win races. What exactly do you think Bruno Senna or Jerome D'Ambrosio are going to do in that car? Given his potential, would it not make sense to keep Grosjean for one more year? Frankly I don't see Michael Schumacher or Alain Prost waiting to take his place.

No saying he does have speed on race day is a lie, as apart from the odd race he was always slower than Kimi on race day and his race craft is awful.

As said the incidents and standings don't lie.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:55 pm 

I'm not surprised that Lotus are getting big sponsors in. Ignoring the financial accounts type stuff (I don't know enough about that to comment), they are a very likeable team (hey, Crashgate was a while back and the main culprits - Teflonso aside - have gone), with relatively good support, excellent people at the team, popular drivers and the potential to go far (and even win the WDC and WCC).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:00 pm 

Jomox wrote:
Eva09 wrote:

No saying he does have speed on race day is a lie, as apart from the odd race he was always slower than Kimi on race day and his race craft is awful.

Average points per finish-

Räikkönen 10.35 (207 points/20 finishes)
Grosjean 8.72 (96/11)

Full list of all drivers, last post on this page. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5397

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:05 pm 

Jomox wrote:
Eva09 wrote:

So who would you replace the guy who outqualified Kimi 10-9 with? Alain Prost? Michael Schumacher?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:19 pm 

bbobeckyj wrote:
Jomox wrote:
Eva09 wrote:

Grosjean 8.72 (96/11)

I'm supporting Grosjean on this forums, but this time I must disagree. It should rather be average points per start. Maybe you should just excuse mechanical failures only. Otherwise it's misleading. With all 19 start it is: 96 / 19 = 5,05263158.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:34 pm 

Eva09 wrote:
Cozz wrote:
Eva09 wrote:
Smus wrote:

Figured. You're a RoGro fan thus being biased.

RoGro may have cost third spot in the constructors. Plus the millions lost in destroying things.

I would let RoGro come back as long as everyone knows Kimi is driver #1.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:44 pm 

Cozz wrote:
Eva09 wrote:
Cozz wrote:
Eva09 wrote:
Smus wrote:

RoGro may have cost third spot in the constructors. Plus the millions lost in destroying things.

Not really. I support Michael Schumacher, and in his second retirement I will probably support Massa and Hamilton, same as 2007, 2008 and 2009.

How would making Kimi no.1 help? He already is no.1 in every way that matters. I don't see the rush, to replace Grosjean with someone like Bruno Senna who also had several contacts against other cars in 2012, and is relatively slow.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:04 pm 

bbobeckyj wrote:
Jomox wrote:
Eva09 wrote:

Grosjean 8.72 (96/11)

I'm confused....which driver is looking for a contract :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:51 pm 

bbobeckyj wrote:
Jomox wrote:
Eva09 wrote:

Grosjean 8.72 (96/11)

points per finish :) one can finish one race in season, got first place and have 25 points per finish if this kind of calculation is used :)

per race... only 'per race' counted.

We are disease upon the world, brotherhood of man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:12 pm 

I did it as a lot of people have been saying that Grosjean is/was faster. Evidently this is not true.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:16 pm 

bbobeckyj wrote:
I did it as a lot of people have been saying that Grosjean is/was faster. Evidently this is not true.

The only time Raikkonen had a consistent speed advantage this year was in Asia. Elsewhere, on average, they were very close.

It took longer for Grosjean to get up to speed using the Coanda.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:18 pm 

I would actually more point to Kimi's better speed in the wet, as a troubling factor for me.

Schumacher and Vettel were both crash kids (nowhere near as bad as RoGro), but they were good in the wet right away (Schumacher in Adelaide '91, Spain '92, Vettel in Fuji '07, Monza '08). That is the sign of a great driver and I haven't seen it from RoGro.

Speed in dry, RoGro is quick, no doubt about it. Crashing is terrible, but I think he can improve it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:31 pm 

Location: Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
Jenson's Understeer wrote:
dizlexik wrote:
bbobeckyj wrote:
Coca cola
Microsoft
Unilever
If they do have Honeywell, and there are many rumours, they've done very well this year.

I don't think the size of these companies matters. What is important is how much the company pays Lotus. Microsoft is one of the biggest companies involved in F1, but I've never heard that the deal with Lotus is lucrative.

Personally, I think both the size of the company and what they're paying is important. Microsoft may (or may not) be paying less, but they're one of the biggest companies on the planet, so unless the partnership isn't proving beneficial to them, there's no reason they wouldn't be a long-term partner. Whereas a smaller company paying more money might be better in the short-term, but perhaps they wouldn't provide the long-term stability of a Microsoft. Plus seeing the likes of Microsoft and Coca-Cola (albeit under the Burn moniker) backing a team, it must make them more attractive to other potential sponsors.

Quite right. And these days sponsors really are becoming more like partners. What you can offer a team in terms of resources, technical tieups etc. can be as important as the money. And as you say, association is a powerful thing. Just look at the explosion in tech and financial sponsorship that came about when firms no longer had to put their name next to a giant Marlboro/West/B&H/Lucky Strike logo. McLaren are a great example of making this work, their profile of partners is incredible. Ron credits a selective approach to taking sponsorship money for quality they have on the books. If you have a car covered in stickers for The Sun, payday loan companies, obscure satellite TV stations and so on, blue chips won't be as interested as if it they were sharing with similarly 'high end' firms.

of Alice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:39 pm 

Location: Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
Eva09 wrote:
Cozz wrote:
Eva09 wrote:
Cozz wrote:
Eva09 wrote:

Not really. I support Michael Schumacher, and in his second retirement I will probably support Massa and Hamilton, same as 2007, 2008 and 2009.

How would making Kimi no.1 help? He already is no.1 in every way that matters. I don't see the rush, to replace Grosjean with someone like Bruno Senna who also had several contacts against other cars in 2012, and is relatively slow.

I remember when the perception of Mika Hakkinen was exactly as Grosjean's is now. He was even banned for the same reasons at one point. Then he suddenly became one of the most consistent and best drivers of his era.

Of course you have to say 'enough is enough' at some point. But to drop a talent like Grosjean would be a shame, and a sad sign of modern F1's lack of patience with those who don't have much money. If it were my team and my money I'd take Grosjean well before Kobayashi, di Resta or Perez.

of Alice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:52 pm 

Double post.

Last edited by bbobeckyj on Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:53 pm 

Eva09 wrote:
bbobeckyj wrote:

The only time Raikkonen had a consistent speed advantage this year was in Asia. Elsewhere, on average, they were very close.

Average finishing position of all races finished prior to the Singaporean GP-
KR 5.2
RG 6
Yep, close. But still Raikkonen is getting better results.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:06 pm 

Balibari wrote:
I remember when the perception of Mika Hakkinen was exactly as Grosjean's is now. He was even banned for the same reasons at one point. Then he suddenly became one of the most consistent and best drivers of his era.

Of course you have to say 'enough is enough' at some point. But to drop a talent like Grosjean would be a shame, and a sad sign of modern F1's lack of patience with those who don't have much money. If it were my team and my money I'd take Grosjean well before Kobayashi, di Resta or Perez.

Exactly, I like Kamui Kobayashi but to kick out a driver after one season when he has showed good pace but crashed too much simply doesn't sit well with me.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:13 pm 

grosjean will be confirmed with this new title sponsorship deal , from sources inside enstone factory

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:28 pm 

RebellionLola wrote:
grosjean will be confirmed with this new title sponsorship deal , from sources inside enstone factory

Good news if it happens. I like him. I hope he stays so chatty, cheerful and fast all the way through his career.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:41 am 

AngusWolfe wrote:
Well if Lotus are that Minted, i hope they're title contenders next year. I don't think i could stand another Vettel WDC

I really hope we get a new WDC next year!!!! I like vettel but this year i was hoping Alonso wins just for the change!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:16 am 

Fingers crossed...RoGro may have his moments of stupidity but he's the 'best of the rest' IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:11 pm 

Adaemus wrote:
Fingers crossed...RoGro may have his moments of stupidity but he's the 'best of the rest' IMO.

I find it hard to believe that Senna could be replacing him. He's had almost as many collisions as Grosjean, although they tended to come in the race and not on the first lap.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:59 pm 

I could understand Lotus replacing Grosjean if it really liked another candidate, but at this point, despite his problems, he has shown good speed and doesn't seem like a hopeless cause yet who can't learn from his mistakes and put it all together at some point in the near future.

I'm going to be curious to see if D'Ambrosio is signed on as the test driver, when I read the report about a week back listing RoGro, D'Ambrosio and Heikki as the candidates for the seat, I wondered if they might bring back Grosjean on a short leash with D'Ambrosio as a ready replacement if they feel that strongly about him. With this season behind him, he'd have a very short learning curve if Lotus needed to make a mid-season replacement.

The other consideration is given the experienced drivers who evidently won't start next year on the grid, I expect there will be more than a few drivers sitting on pretty warm seats.

I'm anxious to see the 2013 livery to see how prominent Honeywell appears, at a reported $30-mil I'm guessing very prominent, as my dad worked for the company in the aerospace division for about 20 years when I was growing up. Seems funny because I always associate it as a rather dull company (despite being a part of some very interesting projects) that almost never advertised for any of the fields it was involved in. So if its right there on Kimi's rear wing or side pod, it'll will be a real kick to see for me.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:51 pm 

Eva09 wrote:
bbobeckyj wrote:

They are close but that is largely because isn't an Alonso type and shares information with his teammates. Grosjean has mentioned this in an interview from earlier in the season.

It's also because Grosjean is a quick driver, no doubt about it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:56 am 

Balibari wrote:

:thumbup: Spot on, I'm now thinking one more season to see how he develops before making that decision. Was watching Mika's Legends of F1 again the other day and it reminded me that if that double WDC was starting now, he possibly wouldn't cut it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:32 pm 

This was published today (latest speculation)

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=nl&ie=UTF-8&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fcontinental-circus.blogspot.com.br%2F2012%2F12%2Fas-mais-recentes-especulacoes-na.html

2013 follower of :

Fernando Alonso

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:12 am 

XploZiV wrote:

I can't read it all on my phone, the page doesn't load fully. But I can see that the source in The Daily Sport. Possibly the least reputable 'paper' in England.