planetf1.com

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:31 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:58 am 

Next season, every car brought to races will be subject to all static and flexible bodywork tests rather than just one sample car...

Which begs the question, which team or teams raced chassis with different static & flexible load characteristics to those that were tested? And how did the FIA find out?

H/t Joe Saward, FIA 2013 Technical Regulations

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:06 pm 

They stated they were going to tighten the regs on flexi bodywork, the talk came after slowmo footage of the RB8's front wing was flexing an awful lot the the nose cone apparently flexing. I think its them just trying to cover themselves as there have been a clamour of people complaining of others designs this year.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:12 pm 

Could hurt Redbull and Mclaren

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:14 pm 

Well I dont think anyone was using it to a huge advantage this year, however last year Vettels car seemed to use it a lot. Without starting another flexiwing debate, it should put an end to that kind of stuff, where a team could put forward one car for the test, whilst slapping all sorts of extras on the other car.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:15 pm 

I don't think they actually intend to catch anyone out tbh i think they want a "well both cars met with the requirements" response when questioned neither team would roll up with a car next year which knowingly breaks the regs.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:44 pm 

I'm quite surprised that both cars from each team don't have to pass equal tests. I suppose though if the FIA chose at random which car to test meant the teams couldn't take the chance of running one legal car and one illegal car.

If however the teams chose which car was to be tested then I'm flabbergasted.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:27 pm 

If the op is talking about

Quote:
All chassis will now have higher static loads applied to them, whereas this was previously only necessary for one chassis.

There was a thing about the upgraded Crash tests a while back and I don't think it can be every chassis raced, they get tested to destruction. Even if they do survive how safe is a chassis that has just had 250 tonnes of pressure put through it? . Last year they tested two chassis, each getting different tests. Now both get the new uprated static tests before getting the battery of other tests. So it's all the crash test chassis get the static tests not all the chassis I think.

Realistically, no biggie just the FIA updating the safety stuff as well as tightening current regs.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:57 pm 

One thing they could do, is after every race, take the front wings used and then they go back to a test facility where they get load tested, flex tested, etc. Teams destroy front wings like theres no tomorrow so it wouldn't be that much of an issue. This way they can test the front wing of every single car.

Then they could also do a random test on other bodywork as needed, so they could randomly pick a team's rear wing to test, and take that off to be tested. This way it doesn't have to be rushed at the end of a race.

Something does need to be done to make sure every car on the grid is given equal testing...seems silly doing selective testing as it defies the whole point of it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:08 pm 

Don't know why everyone is bothering with flexible wings, just make Fernando Alonso the rear wing element and you will get the extra 0.7 seconds per lap.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:33 pm 

Torrrrrrrrrrsion tests.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:35 pm 

Sneaky bastards!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:44 pm 

Well it might explain Number 1 and Number 2 drivers.