planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:01 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:59 pm 

These quotes from Button imply he was #2 at mclaren while hamilton was there, interesting.

When asked if he is ready to lead McLaren, the 2009 World Champion replied: "Definitely. It's not the first time I've done that. When I got to BAR and Jacques [Villeneuve] left it was exactly the same situation.

"I was there to lead the team and it's something I really look forward to and it's something where the best comes out of me in that situation.

"I can really build that team around me and direct the team in a direction I like with the car."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:04 pm 

Isn't that there wasn't any number 1 driver before in McLaren, but now there's going to be, and its him?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:06 pm 

If Button said those words it is a little brash but in a sense true. Between Button & Hamilton, the former is the more complete driver in the sense that he is the better team man and work with others even when things are not going well. Of the two, Button is more likely to say that the race was won because of the team whereas Hamilton would always feel it was himself. I suspect that he will get a bit of a wake-up call at Mercedes.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:11 pm 

Zekenwolf wrote:
If Button said those words it is a little brash but in a sense true. Between Button & Hamilton, the former is the more complete driver in the sense that he is the better team man and work with others even when things are not going well. Of the two, Button is more likely to say that the race was won because of the team whereas Hamilton would always feel it was himself. I suspect that he will get a bit of a wake-up call at Mercedes.

How do you know that ?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:13 pm 

Zekenwolf wrote:

i love how you started getting yourself worked up about Hamilton for no reason, even though this has pretty much nothing to do with him

If I recall correctly he said that in 2012 he had a lot more input into the car's design, I think it is a bit odd that he some how considers McLaren to be his team now, when they famously have equal driver status until the very last moment possible.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:13 pm 

Can't see how the OP read that into what JB said?!

It ain't hating just 'cause it's not love

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:14 pm 

tmzxaar wrote:
Zekenwolf wrote:

How do you know that ?

A feeling based on impressions created during post-race interviews etc during the last 3 years.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:15 pm 

Zekenwolf wrote:
tmzxaar wrote:
Zekenwolf wrote:

How do you know that ?

A feeling based on impressions created during post-race interviews etc during the last 3 years.

Show me some please because I would like to have the knowledge you have.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:19 pm 

Even as #1 on the team with the fastest car you are tradong at 9/1.
What does it say? that you are not really a problem for 2013 - isnt that what you said about Alonso earlier this season.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:20 pm 

F1yer wrote:
Even as #1 on the team with the fastest car you are tradong at 9/1.
What does it say? that you are not really a problem for 2013 - isnt that what you said about Alonso earlier this season.

And did Alonso win the championship??

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:34 pm 

Thread title is wrong.
"Now I'm going to be number one" doesn't mean "The past years I was the number two".

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:49 pm 

mds wrote:
Thread title is wrong.
"Now I'm going to be number one" doesn't mean "The past years I was the number two".

Exactly, especially since we have been told time and time again that there is no #1 driver at Mclaren, at least during the pairing of Lewis and Button.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:08 pm 

I was going to write something meaningful about Mclaren's #1 and #2 policy. But then realized this is a bash/fanboy thread so no need to disrupt that harmony.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:45 pm 

madracer wrote:
These quotes from Button imply he was #2 at mclaren while hamilton was there, interesting.

When asked if he is ready to lead McLaren, the 2009 World Champion replied: "Definitely. It's not the first time I've done that. When I got to BAR and Jacques [Villeneuve] left it was exactly the same situation.

"I was there to lead the team and it's something I really look forward to and it's something where the best comes out of me in that situation.

"I can really build that team around me and direct the team in a direction I like with the car."

It sounds just like a excuse for a bad 2012 season

End of last season he said at a lot of interviews, the engineers listen more to him, he has more input in the car,there is no excuse for not being WDC2012 bla bla bla bla

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:58 pm 

The OP took his quote out of context. At McLaren both Jenson and Lewis were equal. McLaren dont operate a 1/2 system, and just like Redbull and a number of other teams, would only take a 1/2 roll when its mathematically impossible for one of their drivers to win.

Now, stop the silly Button witch hunt.

/thread.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:03 pm 

The logical consistency of the opening post warrants an equally thought provoking response.

If Button thinks he was number 2 during the last three seasons that's only because that's what he did when he saw Hamilton's lap times.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:11 pm 

SilverPower wrote:
mds wrote:
Thread title is wrong.

Exactly, especially since we have been told time and time again that there is no #1 driver at Mclaren, at least during the pairing of Lewis and Button.

I would go a step further and say I don't even take Jenson's quotes to mean 'I will be McLaren's #1 next year'. As far as I'm concerned, all he's saying is that the past three seasons, he's been alongside a fellow WDC, and while Jenson did have more experience in terms of races, both were assumed to be capable of leading the team. This year, he's going to be the vastly more experienced driver alongside someone who is yet to win a race. I think most people would expect Jenson to lead the team, but for McLaren to continue to support both drivers equally, certainly for the first half of the season, anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:37 pm 

There's two different dynamics in how the drivers are treated. On race weekends, both drivers are pretty well treated equal. But back at the factory, the team development engineers probably listen to one driver more than the other on what they see as problems and how to improve the car.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:56 pm 

This would be true if you erase the 3 years of McLaren saying there's no number one policy at McLaren.

Pointless, bating, thread.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:58 pm 

In terms of skill and speed yes he was always number 2, i think that is what he was saying

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:05 pm 

Please change the title.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:10 pm 

He was number 2 in that he was second best much of the time. But McLaren treated the two of them equally over the 3 years they were there, just as they will treat Button and Perez equally. However Button will now be seen as the team leader as he is the much more experienced driver and is now the only driver in the team with a world championship to his name.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:32 pm 

Zekenwolf wrote:
tmzxaar wrote:
Zekenwolf wrote:

How do you know that ?

Hamilton, post Canada:
Every victory is new, special and fresh. And to see the team all wearing their 'rocket red' victory T-shirts, knowing the guys back at the factory are doing the same, makes everything feel even more special.

Post Hungary:
"Well, what can I say?! I'm over the moon! The team did a fantastic job!"

Post Italy:
"The race was very unfortunate for Jenson‚ we were running first and second at the time and it would have been great for the team if we could have finished like that."

Clearly doesn't give a toss about the team!

"Don't worry, I'm pushing like a hell!"

British Driver Supporter (and Daniel Ricciardo)

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

Last edited by Pedrosa_4_Ever on Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:38 pm 

Pedrosa_4_Ever wrote:
Zekenwolf wrote:
tmzxaar wrote:
Zekenwolf wrote:

How do you know that ?

Hamilton, post Canada:
Every victory is new, special and fresh. And to see the team all wearing their Vodafone 'rocket red' victory T-shirts, knowing the guys back at the factory are doing the same, makes everything feel even more special.

Post Hungary:
"Well, what can I say?! I'm over the moon! The team did a fantastic job!"

Post Italy:
"The race was very unfortunate for Jenson‚ we were running first and second at the time and it would have been great for the team if we could have finished like that."

Clearly doesn't give a toss about the team!

+1 :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:16 pm 

SilverstoneRegular wrote:
Can't see how the OP read that into what JB said?!

It's like reading "I will be the shit" as "I was shit" :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:23 pm 

Haribo wrote:

End of last season he said at a lot of interviews, the engineers listen more to him, he has more input in the car,there is no excuse for not being WDC2012 bla bla bla bla

Exactly. With his leadership at Brawn in 2009, not only they were caught by other teams, which was expected with little money they got for development, but what's significant Button run into various tyre troubles. Meanwhile Rubens since British GP and finally getting wanted brake specification was whooping his ass :lol: That's leadership? I clearly remember many times how he was moaning over the radio about no grip, no balance, understeer, oversteer, no temperature etc. That reminds me something (2012, wink, wink) :lol:.

I want to see repeat of 2007 season, Button getting the same surprise as Alonso :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:27 pm 

Armchair Expert wrote:
Haribo wrote:

Exactly. With his leadership at Brawn in 2009, not only they were caught by other teams, which was expected with little money they got for development, but what's significant Button run into various tyre troubles. Meanwhile Rubens since British GP and finally getting wanted brake specification was whooping his ass :lol: That's leadership? I clearly remember many times how he was moaning over the radio about no grip, no balance, understeer, oversteer, no temperature etc. That reminds me something (2012, wink, wink) :lol:.

I want to see repeat of 2007 season, Button getting the same surprise as Alonso :thumbup:

Umm no, as has been pointed out many times before, in the 2nd half of the year when Rubens is supposed to have been "Whooping his ass" JB still beat him more often than not when both finished.

so how could RB following him in the majority of races been "Whooping his ass"?

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:34 pm 

Zekenwolf wrote:

Such a funny post, sounds like it just come straight out the backside. Hamilton always says thanks to the team, friends and family members, and says he could not have done it without the team, never says I won because of me only, that's just making things up.

He's a great team worker and that's why McLaren was so desperate to keep him. Button is similar, in-fact they both great to have on a team and really was the best partnership in today's F1 (Shame the team let them both down so often and now they split)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:42 pm 

MclarenBullet wrote:
In terms of skill and speed yes he was always number 2, i think that is what he was saying

What a BS, trolling thing to say.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:53 pm 

Inappropriate post removed.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:30 pm 

Johnston wrote:
Umm no, as has been pointed out many times before, in the 2nd half of the year when Rubens is supposed to have been "Whooping his ass" JB still beat him more often than not when both finished.

Great Britain - Barrichello
Germany - Button thanks to very dodgy strategy (famous words 'They made me lose the race' by Rubens)
Hungary - Button thanks to suspension failure in Rubens' car in quali on a track, where there's no overtaking
Europe - Barrichello winning, Button abysmal 7th
Belgium - Barrichello, Button DNF on lap 1, Rubens with very dodgy looking start and then dropping oil at the end of the race
Italy - Barrichello
Singapore - Button, Barrichello destroyed him in qualifying, but crashed into the wall in Q3 and had to take gearbox penalty
Japan - Barrichello
Brazil - Button, but with VERY DODGY sudden lack of pace during 2nd stint for Rubens, Rubens got pole, Button was awful and started 14th
Abu Dhabi - Button

Looking at circumstances and pure luck on Button's side, yes, you can easily say Barrichello was whooping Button's ass. It happened only because Brawn needed more points from second car to secure WCC, so they finally gave Rubens at Silverstone brakes he wanted. But that would be too good to be true, so they of course applied 2nd driver treatment several times and, yes, I say that, sabotaged Rubens in Brazil, when he suddenly lost pace driving on the same tyre compound in 2nd stint, because his win meant Button wouldn't be champion and they didn't want to take a risk in Abu Dhabi.

Button was clear leader of the team that year (Barrichello was signed at the last moment, Senna would be in his seat if not for Honda pulling out), so to be matched and bettered by Barrichello, eternal second driver to Schumacher, says a lot about Button's leadership and skills. In McLaren he had to resort to destroying Lewis engineer team (so called 'equality policy'), because on really equal ground he stood no chance. Now of course there's no equality policy, McLaren and Button won't change engineers on his side of garage to provide 'equality' and his big mouth is saying over and over again how he will be a leader and how great position it is to be in.

I hope Perez will kick his ass, because Button is worse version of Prost, less skill and much more politics.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:40 pm 

Armchair Expert wrote:
Johnston wrote:

Germany - Button thanks to very dodgy strategy (famous words 'They made me lose the race' by Rubens)
Hungary - Button thanks to suspension failure in Rubens' car in quali on a track, where there's no overtaking
Belgium - Barrichello, Button DNF on lap 1, Rubens with very dodgy looking start and then dropping oil at the end of the race
Italy - Barrichello
Singapore - Button, Barrichello destroyed him in qualifying, but crashed into the wall in Q3 and had to take gearbox penalty
Japan - Barrichello
Brazil - Button, but with VERY DODGY sudden lack of pace during 2nd stint for Rubens, Rubens got pole, Button was awful and started 14th
Abu Dhabi - Button

Looking at circumstances and pure luck on Button's side, yes, you can easily say Barrichello was whooping Button's ass. It happened only because Brawn needed more points from second car to secure WCC, so they finally gave Rubens at Silverstone brakes he wanted. But that would be too good to be true, so they of course applied 2nd driver treatment several times and, yes, I say that, sabotaged Rubens in Brazil, when he suddenly lost pace driving on the same tyre compound in 2nd stint, because his win meant Button wouldn't be champion and they didn't want to take a risk in Abu Dhabi.

Button was clear leader of the team that year (Barrichello was signed at the last moment, Senna would be in his seat if not for Honda pulling out), so to be matched and bettered by Barrichello, eternal second driver to Schumacher, says a lot about Button's leadership and skills. In McLaren he had to resort to destroying Lewis engineer team (so called 'equality policy'), because on really equal ground he stood no chance. Now of course there's no equality policy, McLaren and Button won't change engineers on his side of garage to provide 'equality' and his big mouth is saying over and over again how he will be a leader and how great position it is to be in.

I hope Perez will kick his ass, because Button is worse version of Prost, less skill and much more politics.

why did you give stats on the 2nd half of a season using 10 races? 10 x 2 =20. Season was 17 races.

Germany - Button

Italy - Barrichello Button 2nd a real ass whooping there.

Japan - Barrichello
Brazil - Button, , Rubens got pole, Button was awful and started 14th
Abu Dhabi - Button

Take out the DNF and the tin hat.

I make that 5-3 in Buttons (Red) favour.

Yeah real ass whoopin.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:56 pm 

The Joke Thread's in the Off-Topic...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:00 pm 

There seems to be a lot of Button bashers trying to win a holiday!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:56 pm 

Now that Button has finally pushed Hamilon out of the team, he doesn't waste a chance to make sure to everybody that now he is in charge and that the team is being built around him. Poor Checo. He hasn't even joined the team yet and Button is already playing games with him and trying to mess up with his confidence. It looks like Button learned a thing or two from Alonso's playbook.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:03 pm 

About time bashing threads were blocked if you asked me 3-4 seem to pop up everyday lately, his quotes have been completely misconstrued which seems to be another regular occurrence lately. I don't mean button specific either i mean for alot of drivers but button and Alonso seem to be subjected to most at the minute.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:18 pm 

El_Chuzalongo wrote:
Now that Button has finally pushed Hamilon out of the team, he doesn't waste a chance to make sure to everybody that now he is in charge and that the team is being built around him. Poor Checo. He hasn't even joined the team yet and Button is already playing games with him and trying to mess up with his confidence. It looks like Button learned a thing or two from Alonso's playbook.

Pushed Hamilton out? After McLaren was making Hamilton the highest offer of all drivers at F1?
Agreeing with the part of playing games, but he sould not overdo it, it will backfire.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:34 pm 

Armchair Expert wrote:
Johnston wrote:

Italy - Barrichello
Japan - Barrichello
Abu Dhabi - Button

Cool story bro, very fitting name btw.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:31 pm 

Haribo wrote:
El_Chuzalongo wrote:

Pushed Hamilton out? After McLaren was making Hamilton the highest offer of all drivers at F1?
Agreeing with the part of playing games, but he sould not overdo it, it will backfire.

Yeah Hamilton leaving was nothing to do with Button. But also agree with the mind games, it seems he's set out to take an advantage in the mind already over Perez, it's clever.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:11 am 

This in no way shows Button admitting he was a number 2, or even insinuating that he was a number 2. Equality means...no number 1 or number 2. I can't prove there was equality at McLaren, any more than anybody can prove that Hamilton or Button were number 1 or number 2.

Hamilton and Button were both experienced world champions at McLaren. The relative experience and achievements of Button and Perez is rather different, it is natural to expect Button to lead the team at first, that is not the same as getting preferential treatment on track.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.