planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:04 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:36 pm 

Tufty wrote:
Ooh, Nuvolari... WAY before my time, but I seem to recall hearing how he once raced with one [two?] broken leg[s], on a motorbike. The crew tied him to the bike, push-started him, and he went on to win.

He once had a wheel arch come loose on an Alfa and it was rubbing on the tyre. Instead of stopping the car and trying to rip it off he told his navigator to duck inside the cockpit (of the open car) as they approached an archway. He then clipped the wheel arch on the wall of the archway and took it clean off. Genius and madness, everything a decent driver needs imo.

Oh and Bernie, National flags should be raised not flipped. Sort it!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:55 pm 

Sir Frank Williams. There are numerous people in F1, past and present, that I admire greatly but Sir Frank is probably the only one who genuinely inspires me. He lives and breathes F1 and such is his passion for the sport he will probably keep working until the day he dies. A real legend who has devoted his life F1.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:18 pm 

Valentino Rossi for me. I've got 2 replica full scale helmets from 2008/9/10 and 2011/12, dainese fiat yamaha leathers and also ducati ones, a signed knee slider that he actually used in 2012 and a signed fiat yamaha cap. Despite 2 years of complete shambles and embarassment at ducati I still love the guy!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:24 pm 

Alex Zanardi. Not just a motorsport hero, but a life hero for me. That guy is just simply amazing. He's a testament to the human spirit and should be an inspiration to every one of us.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:26 pm 

For me it's Hamilton.

I wouldn't be on this forum if it wasn't for him, I remember searching the channels looking for something to watch on a Sunday, and I saw the f1. There wasn't anything else on and I turned on. I went on to see Martin brundle grid walk, and he was talking about Lewis, saying That he did not want to distract him. This was the first race of the season, and although I remember thinking it was live, I imagine it was a reply as I think the first race was Australia in 2007.

From that point I was hooked, I made sure I could see the next race, I forgot what grand pix it was but I defiantly saw it live, so I may of got up early. What people forgot is what Hamilton brought to F1, he was doing is overtakes that no one thought could be done, he was gathering the attention from all over the world, and very much here in England. I'd imagine itv viewing figures sky rocketed. He was also very liked of the track. The media loved him. He would shake everyone one of his pitcrew before a race etc.

We also learnt that he didn't come from a rich background like all the drivers, f1 is a very rich sport, and to get into you have to come back from a rich background. Lewis Hamilton did not come from that background, he came from a council estate. His dad worked ridiculously hard to get him to F1, and also with the benefit of Lewis saying to Ron Dennis can I have your number? Its an amazing story, and it also showed that you don't have to have the money to get into F1, and although cases like Lewis are 1 in 7 billion, it makes you see that it can be done. Lewis also had the story of nic, which lots of people where interested in before he even got into a car, it's nice that Lewis supported his brother so much, and the relationship was one that was captured (Lewis always going to his brother after winning a race etc)

I cried twice over the first 2 years, 2007 I had a pour of emotion when Lewis didn't win, with all the hype. Nearly all of us thought he was going to win it. With two races he was dominating in the lead, shame there was two mistakes out of control. Then in 2008, believing that Lewis was going to become the wdc for a second time, then the last corner overtake. I doubt we will ever see anything like it again.

When you see Hamilton fans on this forum backing him up no matter what, wonder why? A lot of F1 fans have only started watching because of Lewis, this is why they probably bring in a mentality that nothing Lewis can do is wrong, and in a way I carry it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:12 pm 

I have always been a huge admirer of Rudolf Uhlenhaut.
He was born in London to an English mother & German father.
He was responsible for the design of the Mercedes Silver Arrows from 1937 onwards, especially the W 125 which was a monster.
He also tested the cars so he could see for himself how they performed & what improvements he could make. He was regularly faster than the works drivers including Caracciola.
He was never allowed to race as he was far too important back at the factory as a designer & engineer.
He was also responsible for the 300 SL which finished 1st & 2nd in Le Mans in 1952 & went on to spawn the legendary 300 SL Gullwing production car. This win was a little fortuitous as the leading Talbot retired with a few laps to go having having been driven for over 23 hours by Pierre Levagh. He was the man who when driving a 300 SLR in 1955 flew into the grandstand & killed 83 people.
Rudi. then went on to design & engineer the fabulous W 196 streamliner & open wheeler which dominated 1954 & 55 till Mecedes withdrew from motor racing.
He also tested these cars & was often faster than Fangio who was younger than him.
Can you imagine if Adrian tested the RB 7 & was faster than Seb & Mark.

Truly one of the great unsung heroes.

This is his company car which to my 12 year old eyes in 1955 was & possibly still is the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. It is reputed to be the first ever 200 mph capable road car.

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/zuugna ... 009414470/

Champions are made from something they have deep inside of them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have the skill & the will but the will must be stronger than the skill. Muhammad Ali

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:41 pm 

Tommay wrote:
For me it's Hamilton.

I wouldn't be on this forum if it wasn't for him, I remember searching the channels looking for something to watch on a Sunday, and I saw the f1. There wasn't anything else on and I turned on. I went on to see Martin brundle grid walk, and he was talking about Lewis, saying That he did not want to distract him. This was the first race of the season, and although I remember thinking it was live, I imagine it was a reply as I think the first race was Australia in 2007.

From that point I was hooked, I made sure I could see the next race, I forgot what grand pix it was but I defiantly saw it live, so I may of got up early. What people forgot is what Hamilton brought to F1, he was doing is overtakes that no one thought could be done, he was gathering the attention from all over the world, and very much here in England. I'd imagine itv viewing figures sky rocketed. He was also very liked of the track. The media loved him. He would shake everyone one of his pitcrew before a race etc.

We also learnt that he didn't come from a rich background like all the drivers, f1 is a very rich sport, and to get into you have to come back from a rich background. Lewis Hamilton did not come from that background, he came from a council estate. His dad worked ridiculously hard to get him to F1, and also with the benefit of Lewis saying to Ron Dennis can I have your number? Its an amazing story, and it also showed that you don't have to have the money to get into F1, and although cases like Lewis are 1 in 7 billion, it makes you see that it can be done. Lewis also had the story of nic, which lots of people where interested in before he even got into a car, it's nice that Lewis supported his brother so much, and the relationship was one that was captured (Lewis always going to his brother after winning a race etc)

I cried twice over the first 2 years, 2007 I had a pour of emotion when Lewis didn't win, with all the hype. Nearly all of us thought he was going to win it. With two races he was dominating in the lead, shame there was two mistakes out of control. Then in 2008, believing that Lewis was going to become the wdc for a second time, then the last corner overtake. I doubt we will ever see anything like it again.

When you see Hamilton fans on this forum backing him up no matter what, wonder why? A lot of F1 fans have only started watching because of Lewis, this is why they probably bring in a mentality that nothing Lewis can do is wrong, and in a way I carry it.

:thumbup: Very well said

I watch F1 for quite some time (20 +years). I enjoyed the battles, between Schumacher and Mika. Felt sorry for Kimi.(2005)
Watched Alonso etc. But was never a fan of a particular driver. But Hamilton drove the first few meters at F1 and I thought, holy moly this guy has got it. He is worth supporting.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:42 am 

ob1kenobi.23 wrote:
I have always been a huge admirer of Rudolf Uhlenhaut.
He was born in London to an English mother & German father.
He was responsible for the design of the Mercedes Silver Arrows from 1937 onwards, especially the W 125 which was a monster.
He also tested the cars so he could see for himself how they performed & what improvements he could make. He was regularly faster than the works drivers including Caracciola.
He was never allowed to race as he was far too important back at the factory as a designer & engineer.
He was also responsible for the 300 SL which finished 1st & 2nd in Le Mans in 1952 & went on to spawn the legendary 300 SL Gullwing production car. This win was a little fortuitous as the leading Talbot retired with a few laps to go having having been driven for over 23 hours by Pierre Levagh. He was the man who when driving a 300 SLR in 1955 flew into the grandstand & killed 83 people.
Rudi. then went on to design & engineer the fabulous W 196 streamliner & open wheeler which dominated 1954 & 55 till Mecedes withdrew from motor racing.
He also tested these cars & was often faster than Fangio who was younger than him.
Can you imagine if Adrian tested the RB 7 & was faster than Seb & Mark.

Truly one of the great unsung heroes.

This is his company car which to my 12 year old eyes in 1955 was & possibly still is the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. It is reputed to be the first ever 200 mph capable road car.

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/zuugna ... 009414470/

Recently studying a lot about the silver arrows and Neubauer is part of what inspired me to make this thread :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:27 am 

Recently studying a lot about the silver arrows and Neubauer is part of what inspired me to make this thread :thumbup:[/quote]

Ashley, try to get hold of this book, it is a brilliant read.
Usually hard to get & expensive. Very surprised at the price here.

http://www.amazon.com/Three-Pointed-Sta ... B000KYJMK0

Also, Speed was my Life by Neubaur himself although also expensive & difficult to find.
An exerpt.

http://mitteleuropa.x10.mx/files/BIBLIO ... 1a_800.jpg

Apparently he was a bit of a raconteur not averse to the odd tall story.
Having said that you cannot argue with his success.
A far as I know he is reputed to have invented the position of team manager also introduced pit signals to the sport.

Champions are made from something they have deep inside of them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have the skill & the will but the will must be stronger than the skill. Muhammad Ali

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:43 am 

I have no heroes, but only people who inspire me such as Gilles Villeneuve(surprised no one has mention him yet) and Alex Zanardi(broke his leg, came back to win a paraolympic gold medal).

Gilles was really good at letting people overtake him and he will re-overtake the person with a fight. Unlike some racers, he doesn't block them and drive dangerously. I saw him in an interview, he talks really calmly and smiles a lot there's that 'glow' that Alex Brundle says when he said about Schumy.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:54 am 

ob1kenobi.23 wrote:
ashley313 wrote:
Recently studying a lot about the silver arrows and Neubauer is part of what inspired me to make this thread :thumbup:

Ashley, try to get hold of this book, it is a brilliant read.
Usually hard to get & expensive. Very surprised at the price here.

http://www.amazon.com/Three-Pointed-Sta ... B000KYJMK0

Also, Speed was my Life by Neubaur himself although also expensive & difficult to find.
An exerpt.

http://mitteleuropa.x10.mx/files/BIBLIO ... 1a_800.jpg

Apparently he was a bit of a raconteur not averse to the odd tall story.
Having said that you cannot argue with his success.
A far as I know he is reputed to have invented the position of team manager also introduced pit signals to the sport.

I looooove first hand accounts like that, thanks so much for the tip - adding to my christmas list :)

Last edited by ashley313 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:17 am 

I'm surprised Juan Manuel Fangio hasn't come up yet. I personally don't have any "heroes", per se, but reading about his career just impressed the hell out of me. Heck, I'd say the same for pretty much any racing driver back in those days.

Fangio also has ties with Horacio Pagani. He helped him get a job with Mercedes when he was still a young man. The Zonda F was named so in honor of the great racing driver.

Cool stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:56 am 

Alain...Mika...Kimi...Sebastian...

Probably going to add Perez. He's in the fold, but not a hero yet

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:16 am 

Juan Manuel Fangio

Came from humble beginnings in Balcarce, Argentina. Pushed himself through all the trials and tribulations that faced him along the way. Always willing to give others a second chance (Including allowing a convicted thief to be in control of the money in his garage before he became serious about motor-racing). When the Argentinian government was offering a Grand Prix seat to a talented national driver, instead of demanding an enormous salary to guide the country to victory, he was the only person of ~500 applicants to ask "How much would I need to pay to drive?". Blindingly fast on-track, but loved and respected by his peers. Didn't demand admiration, he simply earnt it. Quick to admit his own mistakes and bowed out of F1 as soon as he knew that he wasn't enjoying it as much as he used to.

Mark Webber

May not be the quickest driver in the world, but still damn quick on his day. Straight-talker, loves to joke around. Earns millions a year, yet lives in Buckinghamshire and not Monaco or Switzerland. He doesn't need a supermodel partner to feel happy - and i dare say the love he has with Ann is greater than that of most F1 drivers, most of them being in relationships with models or pop stars. Always gets up when things come crashing down on him. The only driver, I feel, you could go to the pub with for a few pints and know you're going to have a good time. Relates to the common man more than any other driver on the grid.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:09 am 

Laura23 wrote:
Schumacher of the Michael variety.

Passionate, ruthless, fast, never gave up, days like race day Hungary 1998 or Brazil 2006 sum Schumacher up in one race and why he was my hero. No one else will ever come close as well. Not for me.

Can I date you Laura?

We'll get on fine!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:26 am 

For me its Mika, Sir Frank, Lewis, Prost, and Zanardi.

Mika was the man I supported when I really started to get into and understand F1, the first person I fully got behind in the sport. I've always considered him a true gentleman, and admired his on and off track efforts, including crying in the trees. I've always thought him down to earth and will make time to watch/listen to anything he has to say. I love the guy.

Sir Frank is just a legend. Seeing how he fought to get Williams GP Engineering off the ground, operating his business out of a phone booth at times, and his whole story, it is brilliant. The man lives and breaths F1, what more can you ask for from a man?I have lots of respect for the man, though it could be that my surname's also Williams...

Lewis is the first driver since Mika who I've truly got behind, and have become a passionate fan of. I admire his on track never give up (except in Germany) attitude, I enjoyed reading his biography from 07 (even if it was way too early to do one, cash grabbing publicist bastards), and I am impressed with the sheer amount of respect, love and inspiration he draws from his brother. He's a very family orientated person from what I can gather, particularly with his brother, and I admire that. Also, he's very keen on his charity work, though that can be said for many drivers. I get emotional about Hamilton races, and truly respect the effort he and his dad put in through the early years.

Prost, need I say why he's a hero? The man is clinical, relentless, the authority on how to drive an F1 car.

Zanardi is a hero in every sense, and an inspiration unlike pretty much any other motorsport personality I know of. Just looking at his triumphs, his efforts to aid others, and his selflessness, it humbles me and makes me realise I need to man the f**k up!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:51 am 

Sir Frank Williams

Simply the most sofisticated team boss ever. I like his ways, manners, coolness...

Minds are like parachutes, they work best when they are open

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:58 am 

Massa is in contention for coming through all the criticisms of being a Grosjean in his early career and nearly winning the Ultimate Prize. As a lesson in what you can do if you put your mind to it, Massa proved everyone wrong in 2007 and 2008.
But he's not number one in my hero list.

Its going to sound daft but my childhood hero was Giancarlo Fisichella.
You tend to support the underdogs don't you and Fisi was the ultimate underdog when I started watching F1. My first full season was 1999 where the Benetton was really slow but Fisi kept putting it much higher than it should be. In Canada he was on the podium ahead of a Ferrari and Mclaren. Looking back on the 97 and 98 seasons increased my worship for his great drives in Hockenheim, Spa and Montreal.

Fisi never lost to a teammate (overall. Wurz beat him in 98 but over their 3 years together Fisi smashed him) until 2005. He saw off Marques, Lamy, R Schumacher, Wurz, Button, Sato, Firman, Baumgartner and Massa before making it to Alonso. Fisi was given the Driver's Driver award in 2002 for the best performances as voted by the other drivers. His podiums in bad cars (Spa 2001 anyone?) were absolutely heroic and Brazil 2003 is still one of my absolute favourite races of all time.

The fandom didn't wane in 2005. Ok Alonso beat him but Fisi had a lot of bad luck. 2006 tarnished the image slightly but the point was never that he was the best driver in the world. The point was that he pulled off some truly eye-catching drives of heroism that surprised and delighted. Consistency is not eye catching after all.

Spa 2009 showed he could still do it and although the fairy tale had a dismal ending I'm still so happy that he got to live out his dream by joining Ferrari. The results don't matter, this was a guy who wanted nothing more than to drive for the Scuderia. That his last few Grand Prixs were with Ferrari was poetry itself.

So yeah Fisichella is and always will be my racing hero.

PF1s Pick 10 Competition
Wins: 2 (Malaysia and Singapore 2012)
2011 Rubens Barrichello Trophy Winner (17th)
2012 Lewis Hamilton Trophy Winner (4th)
2013 Lewis Hamilton Trophy Winner (4th)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:56 am 

Nuvolari

Fangio

Clark

Gilles

Ayrton

Kubica

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:11 pm 

For me its between the two flying finns, Mika and Kimi.

I started watching F1 when i was 6 in 97 and i was a fan of Mika from day one. The speed the guy possessed was phenominal and he was a true gent outside and he tried to avoid politics and criticising other drivers. He was a true champ and taking 20 wins along with 26 poles in his last 67 races just prooved the talent that this man possessed. He was a driver who let his driving on the track do the talking. Two of his most memorable drives for me where Spa and Suzuka in 2000. They where two races where him and Schumi battled it out and showed that both men where a class above the rest of the field and some of the racing involved was out of this world. When Michael Schumacher says that Mika was his toughest rival...thats one hell of a compliment. Spain 2001 was heart breaking seeing Mika retire on the final lap of the race...could've cried :-(( !! His two wins that year again showed his speed and desire although I do believe that 2001 could've been different had he not had that suspension failure in Melbourne.

When Mika retired in 2001 I then began to follow Kimi. He was unbelieveably fast and his attitude for me is just brilliantly. He doesn't get bogged down in opinions and what the media thinks of him, after all he's not Michael Schumacher ;). He was unlucky not to win the french gp in 2002 and he could've won the 2003 championship had he a little more luck from the car. The car was fairy cakes in 2004 but his drive in Spa was fantastic. He really is the king of Spa. For me 2005 was kimi's best year to date. He drove the wheels off his car that year...literally at the nurburgring on the final lap...again i could've cried. His drive in Suzuka that year will never be forgotten and to me it'll go down as one of the great races. For me he deserved the championship that year but he finally got his reward in 2007. He may not have been the best driver that year and was fortuitous to an extent but it didn't stop me jumping up and down like a child. I didn't mind who won the championship that year cause I like all 3 drivers but I'm glad Kimi got it. I'm glad he came back this year and i'm glad he won in Abu Dhabi and its also good to see that he has lost none of his speed and his attitude is still the same as ever. Best of luck for 2013 Iceman :] :]

Also have a deep respect for Hamilton, Alonso and Schumi (Thanks for coming back, you changed my opinion of you for the better.)

Lewis Hamilton :D
--------------------------------------------------

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:11 pm 

Mike Hailwood. From a time when riders and drivers didn't live up their own exhaust pipes.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:24 pm 

Location: Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
Tufty wrote:
Love to, but I'm meant to be working on a 5000 word essay on T S Eliot.

He was overrated, it was all the car.

of Alice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:28 pm 

Location: Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
Clark for his class.
Lauda for being a generally amazing person.
Gilles for his spirit and attitude to racing.

But my heart say's Damon Hill.

(Nimrod, my old man worships Mike the Bike and has even used that expression in reference to him.)

of Alice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:39 pm 

Balibari wrote:
Tufty wrote:
Love to, but I'm meant to be working on a 5000 word essay on T S Eliot.

He was overrated, it was all the car.

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:59 pm 

I'd like to add Mika Hakkinen to my list too. Just a great composed driver with a good attitude, and to come back after nearly dying in 95 he's up there with the greats for me.

To be honest I find it hard to describe my heroes because I like them all really. I think the only drivers in the past 20 years or so that I haven't liked have been Jacques Villeneuve and Jarno Trulli. but then that's not really in the spirit of this conversation to say "Well they're all just fantastic really. I feel rich from just being alive in this time - Well done sport!"

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:48 pm 

My first 2 or 3 will probably have not been heard. Just a bit of background for the first 2. My older brother raced Karts when I was growing up (same age range as JB, Davidson, Wheldon), I dabbled in Cadets for a little bit (same age as Lewis) but packed it up to concentrate on my Golf. So here goes:

Robert Jenkinson: A big WHO!?! will probably have been shouted by now but he was a guy in one of the top classes in karting and won the British Champs twice in a lower category the Formula 100B I think. I always watched my brothers races when we went Karting. But I would always watch any races Jenkinson was in as he was absolutely phenomenal at the wheel of a Kart. Such great speed and bravery.

Alessandro Manetti: Another karter. This guy was mine and my brothers favourite. Especially when Eurosport used to show all the European karting events. Had a great rivalry with Jarno Trulli. Dont know what happened to him after karting but should have achieved something in motorsport. I wish I could find my video out of an old European Championship race where he came from the back in the final after spinning and recovering to beat Trulli and win.

Rick Johnson: Motorcross and Supercross star. Used to watch my dads old videos of him. Was an awesome rider. Personified by a race at LA Coliseum in 87. Crashed at the start and came from dead last to win on the last lap.

Ayrton Senna: I was only 9 when he died. But I can actually remember where I was when I heard the news. I think in a way thats when you realise someone is special as they can leave massive memories in your head. Only when I got older and me and my brother would watch his season review videos did I realise how great he was when I was a toddler and even up to the point he died. I will never forget Ayrton. My kids will see how great Ayrton was I think he will be remembered forever.

Schuey: My Dad and my brother loved Damon. So to be different I thought ill follow the other guy and I can still remember watching Adelaide 94 and cheering Schuey on. Whereas some people dont like dirty tactics I do. If you can get away with it do it. It might be the only chance. Like Maradona in 86 against England. But not only that. The way he created a legacy at Ferrari was astonishing and for people saying he had this and that etc. Spain 96 he had zip and trounced the whole field.

Alonso: I just love everything about this guy. So much passion and hunger to achieve. This season he was immense and narrowly lost out. Who know what could have been. Had Abu Dhabi been another 2 laps longer etc. But his rookie years in F1 and early Renault years and successive championships show you all you need to know about how great he is.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:43 pm 

Great stuff guys keep it coming :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:43 pm 

Laura23 wrote:
Schumacher of the Michael variety.

Passionate, ruthless, fast, never gave up, days like race day Hungary 1998 or Brazil 2006 sum Schumacher up in one race and why he was my hero. No one else will ever come close as well. Not for me.

Completely agree but this list will never be a one-man answer for me so I have 2!!!

The other is Mario Andretti. A winner in every racing series he ever entered, had race craft and was ALWAYS a nice guy.

Growing up his son was my favorite driver from the Indy series, to CART/ChampCar, but then I met him. :-|
He was going through his divorce at the time so I don't know if that was the cause for his rude and arrogant attitude. Either way, I was walking through the paddock on the first day teams were driving into and setting up their pits and Mario was driving a golf cart. He saw me stop dead cold in my tracks and laughed a bit and got out and walked over to us to say hello. What a fantastic day that was. The nicest guy you will ever meet and after he heard all the giddy crap that came out of my mouth he made me his guest at Newman/Haas for the rest of the weekend and we got to see the race from above pit road and had a bird's eye view of the stops. Michael won the race so it made it that much better but Mario being so kind like that just elevated him as a human being to the same status of Mario the race car driver.

Legend… Wait for it… Dary!!!

Last edited by the incubus on Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:55 pm 

ManicOversteer wrote:
Its going to sound daft but my childhood hero was Giancarlo Fisichella.
You tend to support the underdogs don't you and Fisi was the ultimate underdog when I started watching F1. My first full season was 1999 where the Benetton was really slow but Fisi kept putting it much higher than it should be. In Canada he was on the podium ahead of a Ferrari and Mclaren. Looking back on the 97 and 98 seasons increased my worship for his great drives in Hockenheim, Spa and Montreal.

Fisi never lost to a teammate (overall. Wurz beat him in 98 but over their 3 years together Fisi smashed him) until 2005. He saw off Marques, Lamy, R Schumacher, Wurz, Button, Sato, Firman, Baumgartner and Massa before making it to Alonso. Fisi was given the Driver's Driver award in 2002 for the best performances as voted by the other drivers. His podiums in bad cars (Spa 2001 anyone?) were absolutely heroic and Brazil 2003 is still one of my absolute favourite races of all time.

The fandom didn't wane in 2005. Ok Alonso beat him but Fisi had a lot of bad luck. 2006 tarnished the image slightly but the point was never that he was the best driver in the world. The point was that he pulled off some truly eye-catching drives of heroism that surprised and delighted. Consistency is not eye catching after all.

Spa 2009 showed he could still do it and although the fairy tale had a dismal ending I'm still so happy that he got to live out his dream by joining Ferrari. The results don't matter, this was a guy who wanted nothing more than to drive for the Scuderia. That his last few Grand Prixs were with Ferrari was poetry itself.

So yeah Fisichella is and always will be my racing hero.

Doesn't sound daft to me. Fisi was my favourite driver at that time too, and he is responsible for some of the best drives I have seen since I started watching F1. Honestly, he's the best I've seen for pulling a podium out of the bag in a car that had absolutely no right to be there. It's also notable that he often scored these unlikely results at the more difficult circuits on the calendar: Spa, Monaco, Interlagos and Montreal were usually strong races for him. His drive at Spa 2001 was his best performance in my view. The Benetton was truly dreadful that year (though admittedly it did improve a little later in the season) but to come 3rd in a dry race on merit was just superb, especially when Button was running 10th in the same car before crashing out.

So I'm going to agree with you

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:08 pm 

the incubus wrote:
The nicest guy you will ever meet and after he heard all the giddy crap that came out of my mouth he made me his guest at Newman/Haas for the rest of the weekend

You lucky bugger.. :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:14 pm 

Another of my great hero's is Amedee Gordini, the sorcerer.
For me he was the original garagista. He designed & built the cars including engine & transmission on a shoe string.
He kept going from 1950 till 1956 when his money ran out & then worked for Renault producing their Gordini range of products.

His last F1 car

http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/phot ... 861252.jpg

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:28 pm 

The first two drivers in 18whatever who gave each other a look and then floored it (or re-set the throttle lever) and the snot-nosed kid who was watching them. It all started there.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:20 pm 

John McGuinness, 130MPH average lap speed around the island, mind boggling. Also Joey Dunlop, Phil McCallen and all the TT nutcases to be fair! Saw McCallen clean up in 1996, what a bonkers weekend. Rallying, Juha Kankkunen in the group B Peugeot 205, watched him come through Sutton Park in 1986 as a nipper, never heard or seen anything like it since, sounded like his 205 was fueled with depth charges. F1, Red 5 Mansell :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:45 pm 

I don't have any heroes but there were these two drivers who made me a fan of the sport, Ayrton Senna and Alain Prost. There rivalry was never seen before and most likely never to be seen again.

These two pictures define Senna/Prost for me.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:06 am 

Not sure about hero, but Alfonso de Portago (Ferrari driver) is a character of great intrigue, surely the personification of the "live fast, die young". This was written of him:

Quote:
"Portago was not a great racing driver, although it is certain that he would have been, had he lived…He was not an artist, he left nothing of beauty behind him and nothing of use to the world. He moved no mountains, wrote no books, bridged no rivers. He saved no lives, indeed, he took innocents with him to his death… Yet it would be a flinty heart which did not mourn his death. At the very least, he was an adornment in the world, an excitement, a pillar of fire in the night, producing no useful heat or light, but a glory to see nonetheless. At most he was an inspiration…for he proved that if anything at all is meant for us, we are meant to live life…”

http://www.velocetoday.com/lifestyle/lifestyle_92.php

Drivers I've supported over the years: Mansell, Hill, Irvine, Hamilton and Webber but a loose fan of many others and an admirer of what Zanardi has achieved.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:16 am 

Showing my age a bit here...

Nigel Mansell The very first race I watched was the 1987 British Grand Prix. I would have been 6 at the time but I can still remember Mansell's fake and then dive down the inside of Nelson Piquet with James Hunt proclaiming Piquet had 'left the door open'. The crowd then invaded the track, mobbing 'Our Nige' and I remember thinking this guy must be a bit special. From that moment I was hooked...

1988 was a tough year with that Williams Judd and I was still too young (and patriotic) to fully appreciate the epic battle of Senna vs Prost. The Ferrari years promised so much but failed to deliver but thankfully the move back to Williams finally gave him the title he deserved in 1992. I felt like the luckiest guy in the world going to my first race at Silverstone that year.

Utterly fearless, responsible for 75% of the greatest overtakes ever (Piquet @Silverstone, Senna @Hungaroring, Berger @Mexico, Prost @Monaco) and the only man who refused to be intimidated by Senna. With a bit more luck (1986) and more political nous (1993) he could quite easily have been a Triple World Champion...

Colin McRae At the same time Mansell was winning the F1 Title a young Scot was beginning his career in World Rally. BBC used to show half hour highlights of rallies a week or so after the event. Even with knowing the result already it made for essential viewing to watch this fearless young kid jumping, sliding, and occasionally crashing his Subaru through forests, deserts and tarmac mountains. Kankkunen and Sainz might have had more success but McRae was just spectacular to watch.

This guy literally had no fear. A large blind submit yump in the road? Colin would go in flat, faster than everyone else and fly even further on the other side. No wonder the Scandinavians loved him. His efforts to finally win the GB RAC Rally in 1994 were legendary - literally hammering his bent suspension arm back together with two huge boulders by the side of the road and then clawing back 3 minutes on his team mate over the next 2 days.

The World Title in 1995 looked to cement his place as the best driver out there but sadly his big money move to Ford never really worked out despite coming close on several occasions. The spectacular style still remained though, as did some monumental crashes (GB 2001). A moved to Citroen could have been the start of a glorious renaissance but this coincided with the arrival of a certain Sebastien Leob. I often wonder who would have come out on top if they'd raced together when both at the peak of their careers....

Last edited by SuperRichi-F1 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:22 am 

ob1kenobi.23 wrote:
Another of my great hero's is Amedee Gordini, the sorcerer.
For me he was the original garagista. He designed & built the cars including engine & transmission on a shoe string.
He kept going from 1950 till 1956 when his money ran out & then worked for Renault producing their Gordini range of products.

His last F1 car

A beauty! Très joli en bleu.

Maria de Villota

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:42 am 

Formula1Fan. wrote:
Not sure about hero, but Alfonso de Portago (Ferrari driver) is a character of great intrigue, surely the personification of the "live fast, die young".

Ah yes, Alfonso Antonio Vicente Eduardo Angel Blas Francisco de Borja Cabeza de Vaca y Leighton, the F1 driver/jockey/bobsleigh athlete.
A fascinating character.

#14 for '14

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:54 pm 

Another motorsport hero of mine:

Fully or partly responsible for World Chamionship winners:

And of course:

As well as:

And his current creation, the T27:

#14 for '14