planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:41 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:52 am 

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/bianc ... at-report/

http://www.inautonews.com/bianchi-set-t ... eat-report

Quote:
Finland’s Turun Sanomat newspaper said the new favourite is 2012 Force India reserve Bianchi, a 23-year-old rookie who is backed by Ferrari and managed by Felipe Massa’s manager, Nicolas Todt, the son of FIA president Jean.

“The announcement is expected before Christmas,” said correspondent Heikki Kulta.

Kulta added that Force India’s reportedly likely switch from Mercedes to Ferrari engine power for the 2014 V6 regulations was “a decisive factor” in Bianchi’s favour.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:48 am 

aryaputhra wrote:
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/bianchi-set-to-secure-force-india-seat-report/

Quote:
Finland’s Turun Sanomat newspaper said the new favourite is 2012 Force India reserve Bianchi, a 23-year-old rookie who is backed by Ferrari and managed by Felipe Massa’s manager, Nicolas Todt, the son of FIA president Jean.

“The announcement is expected before Christmas,” said correspondent Heikki Kulta.

Kulta added that Force India’s reportedly likely switch from Mercedes to Ferrari engine power for the 2014 V6 regulations was “a decisive factor” in Bianchi’s favour.

If this is accurate, I think the biggest piece of news is the Ferrari engine deal, Mercedes provide more than just engines to Force India and are extremely good at engine design and development. I couldn't fathom what would make FI switch from Mercedes. Price?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:50 am 

Crazylemon2 wrote:
aryaputhra wrote:
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/bianchi-set-to-secure-force-india-seat-report/

Quote:

If this is accurate, I think the biggest piece of news is the Ferrari engine deal, Mercedes provide more than just engines to Force India and are extremely good at engine design and development. I couldn't fathom what would make FI switch from Mercedes. Price?

Perhaps another team is switching to Mercedes engines for 2014? One that has won the last three WCC perhaps...? Merc can only supply so many teams.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:52 am 

Laura23 wrote:
Perhaps another team is switching to Mercedes engines for 2014? One that has won the last three WCC perhaps...? Merc can only supply so many teams.

I don't think that's an option. Renault stated this week they treat RBR as their #1-team and give them priority. I doubt RBR will want to throw that away since the partnership has worked pretty well. Unless they suspect Renault won't get the job done with the 2014 engine, but how likely would that be?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:13 am 

If I remember correctly there were a bunch(all?) of small teams complaining about the immense increase in engine prices for the coming V6 era and FI was one of them. So I think having Bianchi would either mean significantly cheaper engines from Ferrari or free engines perhaps, If its the latter then Bianchi would be there for a 2 year deal or so to make up for loss of pay driver and to have costs recovered through free engines.
This Engine cost talk aside I really like how FI bring in inexperienced drivers as their second driver like Di Resta, Hulkenberg(notsomuch) and now Bianchi so this makes me really happy. I like to see new talent and fresh faces in F1 : ). This is a gamble though mercedes as stated above make nice engines.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:24 am 

mds wrote:
Laura23 wrote:

I don't think that's an option. Renault stated this week they treat RBR as their #1-team and give them priority. I doubt RBR will want to throw that away since the partnership has worked pretty well. Unless they suspect Renault won't get the job done with the 2014 engine, but how likely would that be?

Depends if they think Merc will nail the new engine rules. Rumours suggest everything has been running like clockwork for Merc in that area so it may be worth the risk. Who knows. I don't think RBR and Renault relations were helped by all those Renault alternator failures this year either, Merc had very little engine troubles.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:33 am 

Laura23 wrote:
mds wrote:
Laura23 wrote:

Depends if they think Merc will nail the new engine rules. Rumours suggest everything has been running like clockwork for Merc in that area so it may be worth the risk. Who knows. I don't think RBR and Renault relations were helped by all those Renault alternator failures this year either, Merc had very little engine troubles.

Fair points. However, I think Renault has the alternator issues fixed. Newest spec hasn't failed up until now, as far as I know.

Going for Merc would mean they are not the premier team for their engine supplier. While Mercedes is doing a fine job for Mclaren, having priority for the 2014 engines could be important since that would mean (I think) the car designers will get better and more input from the engine manufacturer.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:57 am 

Location: Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
Bizarre move if FI have chosen to leave Merc for Ferrari. As said, it's not just the engines they buy at the moment, they use McLaren gearbox and hydraulics, which are designed around the Merc engine. They'll need to build their own or buy from Ferrari if they leave Merc. And Ferrari are notorious for offering much less support to customer teams than Renault & Merc. And surely the smart money for 2014's on the Merc engine anyway.

Can't see RBR leaving Renault, didn't they announce deal extension earlier this year?

of Alice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:30 pm 

Well I remember Force India using Ferrari power plants in 2007 and 2008 (2007 as Spyker). I still do not understand why they switched, but maybe the Merc power plants have upped in cost and Ferrari might offer a discount if FI signs Bianchi (I mean if he is still is a part of Ferrari's young driver program). Similar situation why Di Resta was signed because FI was receiving engines at a cheaper price.

Who knows?

We ALL love you Schumi! Don't ever give up!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:33 pm 

Well if they do switch to Ferrari engines because of Bianchi and he outperforms or even comes close to Di Resta then Di Resta will be history. His seat was pretty much secure with Merc engines, without it will be very different.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:03 pm 

I remember reading a blog about Paddock talk during the US GP weekend that Force India was making the switch to Ferrari engines in 2014, as well as Toro Rosso switching from Ferrari at the same time. Which makes sense that Ferrari would replace supplying 1 team for another, rather than supplying for an extra team.

Honestly, I don't know that much about Bianchi, but given Sutil's Singapore incident I'd rather see someone else besides him get the seat. The off-the-field conduct problems were a major reason why after 30+ years of living and dying with NFL, I saw my interest die. That along with the blind acceptance by so many fans that anything an athlete might do is perfectly ok, and defensible, if he helps your team win because the vicarious ego boost it gave fans was more important than any criminal or violent behavior.

So I wouldn't be anxious to see a driver return to the grid with his baggage.

The changes does present a very interesting scenario for 2014, with both midfield Sauber and Force India both being Ferrari-powered, and perhaps former teammates, Hulk and Di Resta, each holding one of each team's seat. I have wondered if given the way 2012 finished, if Hulk had made a step forward moving to Sauber, or if it was a lateral move or worse, given that Sauber was stronger early while FI seemed to progress as the season progressed. If FI's development is the better of the 2 teams, for sure it should be evident in 2014.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:45 pm 

What about Cosworth?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:54 pm 

To be honest in taking both bits of so called news with a pinch of salt. Last week apparently it was all but confirmed sutil was in, the week before seemed likely senna, as for FI switching to Ferrari i maybe but as part of a deal for this coming seasons race seat i find hard to believe,i think this and the sutil story have been people constructing rumors as fact rather than actual truth, take the sutil story i find it hard to take any story when a source is quoted with no name or at least position within the team.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:24 am 

Crazylemon2 wrote:
aryaputhra wrote:

Quote:

Who said that Mercedes will still be good engine in 2014? Their V10 was famous for blowing up, while Ferrari had superb engines. Also you must take into account that current V8 weren't originally supposed to work with rev limiter. Mercedes just happened to be the most powerful with limiter. Without limiter Renault was rumored to be the best as it had the most while reving very high.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:14 am 

Perhaps Ferrari may have stabler engines than Merc for the 2014 regulation changes?

Or perhaps Force-India's Mercedes engine deal expires by end-2013 which probably means a hike in securing these engines for 2014?

No idea - but nevertheless should be interesting to see Bianchi. He might want to impress and do a 'hulkenberg' to secure the Ferrari seat from Massa :nod: ;)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:49 pm 

If just seeing from the driver point of view, I doubt Bianchi will get the seat because Vijay Mallya said he wants some one fast & consistent.

Surely Bianchi is not fast, mainly due to his inexperience.

Best Results:1st with highest ever score of 225(India 2012),2nd (Silverstone 2012, Australia 2014),3rd (Suzuka & Abu Dhabi 2013)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:53 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:

No one knows until he's given a shot, he could be rapid after a couple of races.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:28 pm 

Turun Sanomat is often accurate about info. I would like to see this happening. Sutil nor Senna would get me excited.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:12 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
If just seeing from the driver point of view, I doubt Bianchi will get the seat because Vijay Mallya said he wants some one fast & consistent.

Aside from how flawed that is as a statement (if 'driver' isn't fast because of his inexperience, then no young drivers would ever make it onto the grid because they're all inexperienced, relatively speaking), it completely ignores the fact that Bianchi has had a pretty strong junior career. He won F3 Euroseries (and was 3rd the previous year when Hulkenberg won it), finished 3rd in two GP2 seasons, and only just missed out on the Formula Renault 3.5 title this year. Whether that, plus his P1 running this year, would translate into actual speed in F1 is anybody's guess. But he isn't going to get that experience any other way.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:34 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:

Rubbish.

Hamilton nearly won the WDC in his first season. So did Jacques Villeneuve. Inexperience doesn't mean slow. It usually means inconsistent.

With your kind of attitude no rookie would ever get a chance in F1 because "they'll just be slow".

Also if Mallya wants fast and consistent then Sutil isn't his man either.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:44 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:

They are just your assumptions, beside that accordind to your own words Mallya doesn't need experienced driver.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:45 pm 

Laura23 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

Even more Rubbish. Sutil finished 9th in 2011 in a similarly competitive FI this season. Unless your saying the Hulk also was never good enough for FI either? As Sutil did a better job then both the Hulk and Di Resta, he was more consistent and stable. So if your logic is that Sutil did a poor job in 2011 then you also saying the Hulk did a poor job also this season.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:52 pm 

Jomox wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

Even more Rubbish. Sutil finished 9th in 2011 in a similarly competitive FI this season. Unless your saying the Hulk also was never good enough for FI either? As Sutil did a better job then both the Hulk and Di Resta, he was more consistent and stable. So if your logic is that Sutil did a poor job in 2011 then you also saying the Hulk did a poor job also this season.

Sutil never beat Renault reject, Fisi. And is Sutil ever going to visit China ir USA? This is his main problem. It's not his speed or potentially bad image for sponsors.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:13 pm 

Jomox wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

I think both FI drivers did pretty poorly this season actually. Di Resta was poorer than Nico though. IMO Sutil would have been beaten by both though. Sutil could never have done what Hulk did in Brazil and led half the race in a midfield car.

Sutil is not F1 material. He's ok but he's nothing more. He had his chance and it's time to move on. Force India need to look to the future, not get stuck in the past.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:26 pm 

I'm hearing rumours about Buemi getting the seat now. Please don't ask for a link because I don't have one - but apparentely he's in the lead now - hard to tell whats true anymore

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:13 am 

dizlexik wrote:
Who said that Mercedes will still be good engine in 2014? Their V10 was famous for blowing up, while Ferrari had superb engines. Also you must take into account that current V8 weren't originally supposed to work with rev limiter. Mercedes just happened to be the most powerful with limiter. Without limiter Renault was rumored to be the best as it had the most while reving very high.

This is a very astute point.

It will be all back to the year zero in 2014. Renault have made winning engines in the past, so i dont think there is any huge reason for RB to switch.

However, they could take them up as Monochrome's...
...and what about Yamaha? Wont they make a comeback??? :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:19 am 

Laura23 wrote:
Crazylemon2 wrote:
aryaputhra wrote:

Quote:

Red Bull have a long term deal with Renault that includes the transition to the new rules, they can't get out of it at this late stage, Renault has already committed to 2014 engine development.

When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion. - Robert Pirsig

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:21 am 

dizlexik wrote:
Jomox wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

Sutil never beat Renault reject, Fisi. And is Sutil ever going to visit China ir USA? This is his main problem. It's not his speed or potentially bad image for sponsors.

The case was settled. There is no legal obstacle for him to travel to China or anywhere else.

When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion. - Robert Pirsig

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:37 am 

Laura23 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

Rubbish.

Hamilton nearly won the WDC in his first season. So did Jacques Villeneuve. Inexperience doesn't mean slow. It usually means inconsistent.

With your kind of attitude no rookie would ever get a chance in F1 because "they'll just be slow".

It's logical to understand that if a driver doesn't get much outings in FP1, how he/she would gain experience. In my statement, I should've stated fast & not experienced.

Bianchi could be fast in a couple of races but who knows?

The benchmark for a good 3rd driver & having raw speed inspite of no experience is Valteri Bottas. If you were to compare Bottas times with Bianchi times, then there is a clear winner. Force India seems to be stuck in a predicament because all of the midfield teams (Sauber, Williams, Force India), kept pushing each other throughout the season. No single midfield team dominated the others in the pack. If all of these cars are close to an inch in performance, then all that would matter is the drivers.

Best Results:1st with highest ever score of 225(India 2012),2nd (Silverstone 2012, Australia 2014),3rd (Suzuka & Abu Dhabi 2013)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:47 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:

In experience doesn't equate to slow. Look at Crashjean and Maldodo. They are both fairly inexperienced in F1 but can be very very quick. Inexperience results in unpolished race craft and mostly errors as we saw with those two in 2012 season.
As for the Mallya wants fast and consistent statement If you read him say this in some article do disregard. Most of what Team bosses say are PR rubbish I've come to learn. He wants someone quick but who doesn't, Mallya like most small team owners wants someone who pays and isn't fairy cakes.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:07 am 

sultanofhyd wrote:
dizlexik wrote:
Jomox wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

The case was settled. There is no legal obstacle for him to travel to China or anywhere else.

Is that true? I thought it was settled only between mr Lux and mr Sutil in German court.

Last edited by dizlexik on Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:11 am 

sic98 wrote:
dizlexik wrote:

This is a very astute point.

It will be all back to the year zero in 2014. Renault have made winning engines in the past, so i dont think there is any huge reason for RB to switch.

However, they could take them up as Monochrome's...
...and what about Yamaha? Wont they make a comeback??? :)

:-P :thumbup:

Back the topic: I think Renault engines are designed by Renault Sport and only manufactured the other firm.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:12 am 

sultanofhyd wrote:
dizlexik wrote:
Jomox wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

the case wasn't settled he got a suspended sentence and a fine. A suspended sentence still counts as a conviction so yes he will have problems

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:22 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:

As u are a rabid Sutil fan I am not surprised by your comments mate. But don't forget Sutil was also a rookie once. His record pre F1 is also impressive. But we only know what he has done with Force India as he drove for no other team. And let's be honest they have been very patient with him and pampering him a lot. Even though Liuzzi isn't that great as F1 driver I also don't believe he got the same support as Sutil.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:59 am 

Is this true? JA.F1 says Bianchi, diResta and Rossiter will all test in Jerez...which means Bianchi is the No. 2 driver?

http://www.facebook.com/forceindiaf1/po ... ok+Wall%29

http://connect.jamesallenonf1.com/f1-on ... arch=Resta

POST EDIT:
Yep: Force India's Driving Schedule clearly states it.

Day 1 = Paul
Day 2 = Paul / James late in the afternoon
Day 3 = James in the morning / Paul in the afternoon
Day 4 = Jules

http://www.forceindiaf1.com/news/detail ... g-schedule

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:22 am 

aryaputhra wrote:
Is this true? JA.F1 says Bianchi, diResta and Rossiter will all test in Jerez...which means Bianchi is the No. 2 driver?

http://www.facebook.com/forceindiaf1/po ... ok+Wall%29

http://connect.jamesallenonf1.com/f1-on ... arch=Resta

POST EDIT:
Yep: Force India's Driving Schedule clearly states it.

Day 1 = Paul
Day 2 = Paul / James late in the afternoon
Day 3 = James in the morning / Paul in the afternoon
Day 4 = Jules

http://www.forceindiaf1.com/news/detail ... g-schedule

Can't find the link right now, but apparentely the team has said that just because Bianchi is testing doesn't mean he's the second driver yet

EDIT: This isn't the link I found, but it's the explanation they gave:

"The final day of running on Friday will see Jules Bianchi behind the wheel of the VJM06. Having spent 2012 as the team’s third driver, Jules will be able to provide the team’s engineers with further comparison feedback between last year’s car and the VJM06."

Basically, he drove the 2012 car as did Paul, so he can give the same level of feedback

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:11 am 

Maybe he will be third driver again, as he seems now to be the favourite to replace Massa next year in Ferrari.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:44 am 

shift wrote:
Maybe he will be third driver again, as he seems now to be the favourite to replace Massa next year in Ferrari.

Do you have a source for that? It would be quite extraordinary as Ferrari have not been known to sign young drivers for race seats, much less for their rookie season. Also, quite why Ferrari would put Bianchi in a championship capable car (potentially) but, as the scenario goes, he would be overlooked for a race seat 3 seasons in succession 2011-2013, by all the other teams, would be a mystery.

Surely Hulkenberg is the favorite if indeed Massa doesn't do enough to keep the seat this year. I There is the engine relationship with Sauber. Perez and Button are tied into McLaren, Vettel won't leave Red Bull yet, Webber would be a temporary fix with his run of 1 year contracts and age by 2014 so is quite unlikely.

Who could challenge Hulkenberg among the younger and rising? Grosjean if he gets things together but could easily stay at Enstone, Maldonado if he manages to clean up the errors and maintain his speed but for both of them, they would need outstanding years to get into a Ferrari for 2014 after the number of cars they hit in 2012. I think whatever di Resta does won't be good enough because he will be paired with a rookie and the natural comparison with Hulkenberg will be the 2012 season.

The underlying thing about all this,no matter how bright you are,no matter how logical one is or how much money one has,you have to be a completely stupid optimist...I believe there are about 3 million competition licences worldwide. -Perry McCarthy