planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:11 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Did you know....?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:07 pm 

Location: Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
Not sure if this will fly but I'll try anything to see me through part of the off season. How about a thread where we share little known facts about F1/motorsport types?

Here's one that surprised me: Bernie was born blind in one eye.

Better known is that Max Mosley was a card carrying fascist in his younger days. I just can't miss an opportunity to remind people.

of Alice

Post subject: Re: Did you know....?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:09 pm 

Did you know...Bernie booked an appointment with Dr Sid Watkins about his eye as an excuse to talk to him about taking over medical considerations in Formula 1?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:22 pm 

There have been 104 Grand Prix winners. I honestly thought it was more...

Heikki Kovalainen was the 100th GP winner when he won at Hungary 2008 - who have been the four since?

(This thread reminded me of the 'if this is the answer what is the question?' thread I started a while back!)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:24 pm 

MistaVega23 wrote:

Heikki Kovalainen was the 100th GP winner when he won at Hungary 2008 - who have been the four since?

(This thread reminded me of the 'if this is the answer what is the question?' thread I started a while back!)

Sebastian, Mark, Nico, Pastor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:24 pm 

MistaVega23 wrote:

Webber
Rosberg
Maldonado
Vettel

EDIT: Damnit, Ashley beat me to it! Well played.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:25 pm 

Kubica's win was 4 races before Heikki's

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:26 pm 

ashley313 wrote:
Kubica's win was 4 races before Heikki's

Haha I realised that as I posted it, then remember Vettel :P Then saw your post, and confirmed it for me haha.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:26 pm 

jammin78 wrote:
MistaVega23 wrote:

Webber
Rosberg
Maldonado
Vettel

EDIT: Damnit, Ashley beat me to it! Well played.

I had 3 and forgot about Rosberg! (Just goes to show how much of an effect he's had on me)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:56 pm 

Approximate 80,000 components come together to make an F1 car. The cars have to be assembled with 100 per cent accuracy. If it were assembled 99.9% correctly, it would go on the track with 80 components wrongly placed.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:17 pm 

ashley313 wrote:
Did you know...Bernie booked an appointment with Dr Sid Watkins about his eye as an excuse to talk to him about taking over medical considerations in Formula 1?

He also made Sid an offer that seemed extremely lucrative, under the proviso the Prof pay his own way to and from the races - his accountant pointed out that Bernie was in fact COSTING him money!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:32 pm 

Tufty wrote:
ashley313 wrote:

He also made Sid an offer that seemed extremely lucrative, under the proviso the Prof pay his own way to and from the races - his accountant pointed out that Bernie was in fact COSTING him money!

I read that article too :P

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:54 pm 

Did you know that it was once thought that Bernie was the Mr Big behind the great train robbery.

Champions are made from something they have deep inside of them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have the skill & the will but the will must be stronger than the skill. Muhammad Ali

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:00 pm 

ob1kenobi.23 wrote:
Did you know that it was once thought that Bernie was the Mr Big behind the great train robbery.

Wasn't the one of the robbers the guy Bernie hired to make the WDC trophy or something?

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:03 pm 

Johnston wrote:
ob1kenobi.23 wrote:

Wasn't the one of the robbers the guy Bernie hired to make the WDC trophy or something?

Roy The Weasel James. I met him when he was driving Formula Junior in the Phoenix Park.
He was a friend of Graham Hill.

Champions are made from something they have deep inside of them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have the skill & the will but the will must be stronger than the skill. Muhammad Ali

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:13 pm 

Did you know that if a baby is born on an international flight, over international waters, their nationality defaults to that of which country the aircraft is registered.. As per United Nations governing law.. :)

Not F1 related but I just had to tell people :) sorry, carry on.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:24 pm 

paulj1 wrote:
Did you know that if a baby is born on an international flight, over international waters, their nationality defaults to that of which country the aircraft is registered.. As per United Nations governing law.. :)

What happens if you're born on an F1 car built in and run out of the UK by an Austrian entrant, in Monaco?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:46 pm 

ashley313 wrote:
paulj1 wrote:

What happens if you're born on an F1 car built in and run out of the UK by an Austrian entrant, in

Monaco?

You are Italian because of the origin of the alternator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:54 pm 

paulj1 wrote:

Not entirely 100% true.

There is a convention that some have signed up to, but some states around the world still apply Jus Sanguinis law when determining nationality (right of blood - IE take the nation of the parents)...

The UN convention is there for cases where there is no prior claim to nationality so that a person doesn't end up stateless...

In relation though, no plane can have dual nationality. It must only be registered in a single country...

:D :D :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:56 pm 

ob1kenobi.23 wrote:
ashley313 wrote:
paulj1 wrote:

What happens if you're born on an F1 car built in and run out of the UK by an Austrian entrant, in

Monaco?

Fudge.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:08 pm 

ashley313 wrote:
ob1kenobi.23 wrote:
ashley313 wrote:
paulj1 wrote:

Monaco?

Fudge.

Haha, agreed. If the same rule that applies to the aircraft applies then you are Austrian as that is where the car is registered.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:22 pm 

A couple of days after the Imola fiasco in 1982, and a few days before his death, Gilles Villeneuve had a talk with Walter Wolf. The former offered him a seat for 1983, expressing his wish to return with his Wolf F1 team.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:01 am 

ob1kenobi.23 wrote:
ashley313 wrote:
ob1kenobi.23 wrote:
ashley313 wrote:
paulj1 wrote:

Monaco?

Fudge.

Haha, agreed. If the same rule that applies to the aircraft applies then you are Austrian as that is where the car is registered.

I'd be okay with that. Its cooler than being American.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:12 am 

Ashley wrote

Not F1 related but I just had to tell people :) sorry, carry on.[/quote]

Monaco?[/quote]

You are Italian because of the origin of the alternator[/quote]
Fudge.[/quote]

Haha, agreed. If the same rule that applies to the aircraft applies then you are Austrian as that is where the car is registered.[/quote]
I'd be okay with that. Its cooler than being American.[/quote]

I don't know where I got the impression but I though you were American.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:17 am 

I am! My dad's whole side of the fam was born in Germany tho, I'm the first generation born here in the land of the free.

(Oddly enough, I'm on the phone with my mom right now and she just informed me as I type this that a poll released today names Vienna as #1 place in the world to live :lol: )

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:40 am 

ashley313 wrote:
I am! My dad's whole side of the fam was born in Germany tho, I'm the first generation born here in the land of the free.

(Oddly enough, I'm on the phone with my mom right now and she just informed me as I type this that a poll released today names Vienna as #1 place in the world to live :lol: )

You can waltz along the Danube to the Strauss music.

They obviously haven't been to Wicklow in Ireland where I live since leaving the Jundland Wastes.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:44 am 

I'll visit Vienna if I get this job in Salzburg lol

DID YOU KNOW....(back to the article tufty and I both seem to have read)...that Prof Sid and his medical car driver, I forget who it was at the time, once stole a random car w/the keys in it from the car park at a race when their medical car went kaput. They put it back afterward.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:00 pm 

ashley313 wrote:

don't take family folk lore as 100%. ;)

I've been doing the family tree and lurking around some Genealogy forums. Amazing how much of the family "Evidence" turns out to be bogus.

For instance we're supposed to be full bred Ulster Scots on my dads side. But it turns out before we only became Scots after some Paddies moved across the water :lol: Somewhere down the line there is a Spanish ancestor but it's not the generation it's supposed to be and a supposed English bloke on my Mums side was born up the road from where I am now. :lol:

Thats before we get into the stuff that would get it's self into the Jimmy Saville enquiry these days and the ones that put the cart before the horse :P :lol:

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:13 pm 

At the end of 1991 or 1992 Senna was offered and considered a drive for the Jordan team in return for equity in the team instead of a salary.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:38 pm 

ob1kenobi.23 wrote:
They obviously haven't been to Wicklow in Ireland where I live since leaving the Jundland Wastes.

To be fair that's a vast improvement. Jundland Wastes weren't the same since the civil war.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:43 pm 

When Ayrton Senna discovered that Lotus had secured a big new sponsorship deal with Camel in 1987 he demanded his contract be renegotiated because the one he'd signed said the team would be sponsored by JPS.

He managed to secure for himself much of the Camel money which was intended for the development of the very car he would be driving. I always thought that was a bit of a rotten thing to do, particularly when Lotus had already been compelled to sign second rate Nakajima to get Senna the Honda engines he wanted. At any rate, him having to use customer HB's in 1993 which probably cost him a title evens it all out...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:26 pm 

ashley313 wrote:
I'll visit Vienna if I get this job in Salzburg lol

DID YOU KNOW....(back to the article tufty and I both seem to have read)...that Prof Sid and his medical car driver, I forget who it was at the time, once stole a random car w/the keys in it from the car park at a race when their medical car went kaput. They put it back afterward.

Did you know that anyone who has read that article automatically became an expert on the Prof? :P

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:07 pm 

Did you know...

...that (allegedly) if there are less than 10 teams (20 cars) in F1, there is a clause that allows teams to enter a 3rd car...

:D :D :D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:19 pm 

I suppose everyone knows that Michael Schumacher married Heinz-Harald Frentzen's girlfriend.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:26 pm 

Zekenwolf wrote:
I suppose everyone knows that Michael Schumacher married Heinz-Harald Frentzen's girlfriend.

Ex girlfriend.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:55 pm 

SchumieRules wrote:
Zekenwolf wrote:

Ex girlfriend.

But she started seeing Schumacher soon after she split from HHF didn't she? Was there a "cause and effect"?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:07 pm 

Zekenwolf wrote:
SchumieRules wrote:
Zekenwolf wrote:

Ex girlfriend.

But she started seeing Schumacher soon after she split from HHF didn't she? Was there a "cause and effect"?

Don't know to be honest. But they are still together in love, so it was worth it whatever the case.

Now Bernie was racing himself. In the lower formula I think he even had wins. Only 2 F1 races (although no starts I believe)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:45 pm 

Johnston wrote:
ashley313 wrote:

don't take family folk lore as 100%. ;)

I've been doing the family tree and lurking around some Genealogy forums. Amazing how much of the family "Evidence" turns out to be bogus.

For instance we're supposed to be full bred Ulster Scots on my dads side. But it turns out before we only became Scots after some Paddies moved across the water :lol: Somewhere down the line there is a Spanish ancestor but it's not the generation it's supposed to be and a supposed English bloke on my Mums side was born up the road from where I am now. :lol:

Thats before we get into the stuff that would get it's self into the Jimmy Saville enquiry these days and the ones that put the cart before the horse :P :lol:

I remember verifying the family tales for a project in school. I happened to be the only kid whose DAD had come through Ellis Island (because he was 61 when I was born, and straight pimp) so I got to bring him in for show and tell as my project during the lead up to our field trip there - but I still had to have the lame poster board with the documents.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:44 pm 

Non-F1 related.

Did you know that Juan Manuel Fangio asked Enzo to consider Horacio Pagani for a position within Ferrari, but Ferrari rejected Pagani?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:49 pm 

racer_nobu wrote:
Non-F1 related.

Did you know that Juan Manuel Fangio asked Enzo to consider Horacio Pagani for a position within Ferrari, but Ferrari rejected Pagani?

Hence the Zonda was named after Fangio - that's what the F stood for.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:58 pm 

Did you know....the RB Adrian drove at silverstone a few months ago actually belongs to him? It was given to him as a gift after the 2010 season. I hope he races it at Goodwood someday :lol: